PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett vs Jake Locker

dregolll
02-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Personally, I like Mallet a lot more. Ryan will be the next Drew Bledsoe, with more mobility. He has the size, arm strength, mobility and the mental make up to suceed in the NFL. I really don't get the Jake Locker love, I mean the guy can't get to a bowl game, I know that is not a slight to him, but the same guys that love him and say he can do it by himself, are the same ones that hate on Jimmy Clausen because of his record. I think he is vastly overrated, his has a funny throwing motion and he is just not that impressive throwing the football. Ryan Mallet will be the #1 overall pick in 2011 NFL draft with a good season.

JFLO
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I have Mallett as a Top 3 prospect next year and the best quarterback. His game is severely over-criticized and the numbers he puts up against top defenses in the SEC are brilliant. Put together the arm and the developing mentality on the field and you have the #1 overall pick next year.

Although I like Locker too (rated somewhere in Top 10 in my inital board), I just think Mallett's potential gives him the edge over Locker, at this point at least.

zachsaints52
02-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I liked Mallet when he went to Michigan and was excited he went to Arkansas. I think he iwll blow it up this season with the other SEC team losing some of their best defensive players, most notably Florida.

Babylon
02-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Personally, I like Mallet a lot more. Ryan will be the next Drew Bledsoe, with more mobility. He has the size, arm strength, mobility and the mental make up to suceed in the NFL. I really don't get the Jake Locker love, I mean the guy can't get to a bowl game, I know that is not a slight to him, but the same guys that love him and say he can do it by himself, are the same ones that hate on Jimmy Clausen because of his record. I think he is vastly overrated, his has a funny throwing motion and he is just not that impressive throwing the football. Ryan Mallet will be the #1 overall pick in 2011 NFL draft with a good season.

Let me say i like Mallett though i question if there is any mobility there that you refer to. He has a top tier arm at the next level and just needs another year to be a high pick, i do think he might have gone the Mark Sanchez route and could have been picked pretty early this year.

Big Jake Locker fan. Personally i dont think you have to downgrade one player to pump up your guy,not sure if that is the point here. Locker has the prototypical arm, size and speed to be a great QB at the next level. I think another year is good for him although he too would have gone high this year. You mention his throwing motion and i dont see anything there at all that needs refining. He has near perfect mechanics in that department. As for the teams record they were 0 for the season the year before when he was out and won 5 games this year with 3 more that went down to the final minutes of the game. His line and receivers were very green and they had probably the worst kick return teams in the country which meant they didnt actually benefit from good field position.

ThePudge
02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Personally i dont think you have to downgrade one player to pump up your guy,not sure if that is the point here.

Exactly. Ryan Mallett's my guy personally, but the two rank 1 and 2 on my 2011 Big Board. Jake Locker would have inevitably challenged for the #1 Quarterback spot this year and thus also getting a shot to go #1 Overall. We'll see what the two can do in their respective conferences. I'll be very interested to see how Ryan Mallett's footwork has progressed keeping the weight off, how his timing with his receivers has progressed, and how his teammates respond to him on the field. For Locker, I think he has all the tools to be a franchise QB prospect and should only get better this year with more reps in Sarkisian's pro-style offense. Both will be very high picks come April and I think we could be looking at back to back QBs going #1/#2 depending on who's up there.

prock
02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Gimme Locker. I prefer a mobile quarterback. But that's just me. I love Mallet too, but I personally like mobile quarterbacks.

superman
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
how about ponder for the top qb next year?

ThePudge
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
how about ponder for the top qb next year?

I'm taking a wait and see approach for Ponder, but I don't see a way he passes either of these guys, let alone both. I have a high opinion of Mallett and Locker though.

JFLO
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Ponder is definitely a guy to watch throughout 2011. I don't think he'll ever be considered the top quarterback of the class, but I really don't doubt he has the ability to be an late 1st/early 2nd round pick next year.

He is extremely poised in the pocket (improved from his sophomore season) and is really an underrated athlete.

superman
02-03-2010, 03:45 PM
yeah i'd love ponder next year. he's smart, has decent size and a decent arm, and yes very athletic. fsu didn't have much on offense this year but he put up good numbers.

RealityCheck
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
No Kellen Moore?

ndbigdave
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Though Mallett and Locker will walk into next year with most of the hype (deservingly so) the biggest sleeper HAS to be Ponder.

I watched nearly all of FSU's games last year and I came away VERY impressed. He has a great blend of build/size - elusiveness/speed - arm strength.

He has been working with Jimbo at FSU who I consider to be a darn good QB coach and if he shows even half the improvement he showed from Soph season to Junior season I think he is a legit 1st round quarterback who will likely make people take another look at both Mallet and Locker.

Halsey
02-05-2010, 08:20 AM
2 guys to keep an eye on who could potentially declare next year: Blaine Gabbert and Andrew Luck

brasho
02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Give me Andrew Luck over both of them.

Locker I like physically but at this point in his career, he closely resembles Akili Smith.

Mallet I like as well but at 6'7 and built like a beanpole, he really nees to add some size and even though he has a pretty good throwing motion for his height, I don't see the accuracy on a consistent basis.

All three are young and this next season will be big for all of them.

brasho
02-05-2010, 09:13 AM
No Kellen Moore?

A lefty that might be 6'0? He's a very nice collegiate QB that will get knocked down by a lack of elite physical traits.

RealityCheck
02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
A lefty that might be 6'0? He's a very nice collegiate QB that will get knocked down by a lack of elite physical traits.
Still, he could be a part of the Drew Brees effect.

GoRavens
02-05-2010, 09:34 AM
This is a really good topic IMO.
It seems to me that Mallett will be the better NFL player..
He's got a stonger arm than Locker, and he's also 6'7 which should help him in the pocket.. He's got a lot more potential, but must tighten up is accuracy, and improve his pocket mobility.
- Locker is also just as great of a player.. He's got fantastic mobility, he's a great leader, and has close to perfect mechanics. However, his arm strength, and accuracy could both use tuning up.. That being said, both will be 1st round picks next year, Mallett will go higher simply based on potential. MALLETT TO DAAA RAIDAAAZZZ. and LOCKER TO DAA SEAHAWKS

RealityCheck
02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
This is a really good topic IMO.
It seems to me that Mallett will be the better NFL player..
He's got a stonger arm than Locker, and he's also 6'7 which should help him in the pocket.. He's got a lot more potential, but must tighten up is accuracy, and improve his pocket mobility.
- Locker is also just as great of a player.. He's got fantastic mobility, he's a great leader, and has close to perfect mechanics. However, his arm strength, and accuracy could both use tuning up.. That being said, both will be 1st round picks next year, Mallett will go higher simply based on potential. MALLETT TO DAAA RAIDAAAZZZ. and LOCKER TO DAA SEAHAWKS
There's this little thing: the Raidaaazzz's pick belong to the Patriotzzzzzz.

So it is Mallett to the Patriotzzzzzz.

P-L
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Mallett progressed late in the season last year, but I not sure he's on Locker's level just yet. If he continues improving he can get there, but I have to take Locker right now. Gotta love Locker's mobility, accuracy, and consistency. He doesn't have Mallett's arm strength, but he isn't Matt Leinart either.

romo4prez415
02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Give me Locker everyday of the week. I see JaMarcus Russell with Ryan Mallett. Too inconsistent in terms of accuracy and too long legged and slow moving within the pocket. I also question his maturity and his readiness to be the face of a franchise.

MNRunLeft
02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Next years QB class seems like it should be much better than this years class, especially depth wise. After Bradford and Clausen come off the board this year both likely in the top 10-15 picks I don't really think another QB should come off the board until round 3. Everyone after those two just seems to have big questions marks imo, Sneads got 1st round talent but was just bad this past season.

ericzedwards
02-05-2010, 12:24 PM
A team that favors pro-readiness has to like Locker over Mallett at this point. Mallett has the skills to develop into an excellent QB, but Locker's system is much more conducive to an NFL transition. And in terms of intangibles, Locker seems light years ahead. He's a great leader that has made the best of marginal talent around him. His demeanor reminds me of Matt Ryan in that way, and I think he's a guy that can be installed as a team's quarterback early and handle the situation more easily than Mallett could.

yourfavestoner
02-05-2010, 12:50 PM
yeah i'd love ponder next year. he's smart, has decent size and a decent arm, and yes very athletic. fsu didn't have much on offense this year but he put up good numbers.

I've got a feeling Ponder will be in the running for 1st QB selected at this time next year.

I also wouldn't be surprised if John Brantley has a Sanchize-like first season and considers coming out.

Babylon
02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I've got a feeling Ponder will be in the running for 1st QB selected at this time next year.

I also wouldn't be surprised if John Brantley has a Sanchize-like first season and considers coming out.

Disagree on both counts. Ponder to me doesnt have the tools the two guys in the OT have, to me not even close. As for Brantley pulling a Sanchez i wouldnt be shocked because i think he's got star potential but Sanchez had 4 years in that system at SC and Brantley has barely seen the field.

thenewfeature06
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
One of the games I watched felt like Mallett had the body language and attitude of cutler when something didn't go his way but skill wise of course he is a top quarterback next year. Personally I like Locker more

brasho
02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Give me Locker everyday of the week. I see JaMarcus Russell with Ryan Mallett. Too inconsistent in terms of accuracy and too long legged and slow moving within the pocket. I also question his maturity and his readiness to be the face of a franchise.

I don't see any of Russell's problems in Mallett. Russell went into his junior season not having had significant playing time because according to Miles, he was not a dedicated enough student of the game.... then his problems in the pros are not physical.. they are all with his lack of work ethic. Russell is among the most physically gifted (if he were to ever get his fat butt in shape) in the NFL... Russell's problem is that he's lazy and then got a fat pay check.

brasho
02-05-2010, 01:37 PM

In that offense? No chance.

Babylon
02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Mallett progressed late in the season last year, but I not sure he's on Locker's level just yet. If he continues improving he can get there, but I have to take Locker right now. Gotta love Locker's mobility, accuracy, and consistency. He doesn't have Mallett's arm strength, but he isn't Matt Leinart either.

I think arm strength wont be an issue with these two guys. Both Locker and Mallett have + arms for the next level. At some point it's either strong or it isnt, an extra tick on the jugs gun to me is irrelevant.

RichL26
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Locker no doubt about it.
Mallet does remind me of Bledsoe, in that he has a long delivery and a lack of pocket presence that will result in sacks and injuries at the pro level.

ThePudge
02-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Locker no doubt about it.
Mallet does remind me of Bledsoe, in that he has a long delivery and a lack of pocket presence that will result in sacks and injuries at the pro level.

Lack of pocket presence and long delivery, well I think you're blatantly wrong there personally. His footwork in the pocket and outside the pocket will improve. He's not slow-footed, he's very tall and is adjusting to a new, slimmer weight. He actually moves pretty well when he's going forward or when he sneaks out to the right. Watch for his command of the huddle, and confidence in the pocket to improve even more this year.

RichL26
02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Pocket presence doesn't mean footwork, it means his feel for a pass rush and when it's collapsing and from where. From the little I've watched of him, his doesn't look to great.

JFLO
02-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Mallett's delivery isn't sluggish at all. He doesn't have a wind-up and has a quick release.

RichL26
02-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Maybe he grew out of it. I haven't seen him play (outside YouTube clips) since he was at Michigan.

Malaka
02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Ryan Mallett vs Jake Locker is the very reason I am salivating over next years draft I cannot wait. I really can't decide between the two.

LookItsAlDavis
02-07-2010, 04:16 PM
It's going to be a beast of a year for quarterbacks next year. Right now I have Locker and Mallett virtually tied. Add Ponder and possibly Andrew Luck then things could get crazy. Pat Devlin is someone to keep an eye out for too.

Flyboy
02-07-2010, 10:52 PM
It's like picking between two sexy women. HOW DO I CHOOSE? I'm gonna go with whomever has the bigger bust between the two.

TACKLE
02-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Can't wait to watch this up coming season. Both these guys have the potential to be top end QB's at the next level. Though I will say, Jake Locker is going to be the most exciting, dynamic QB to come into the league since Vick.

BuffaloBillsFan
02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Andrew Luck belongs in the QB discussion, but yes, I guess he is still young, but soon enough!

Halsey
02-08-2010, 04:29 AM
It's not entirely out of the question that Terrelle Pryor could enter the discussion for top QB in 2011. Unlikely, but NFL teams will be watching him close.

BrabbitMcRabbit
02-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Andrew Luck is better than both of them. He will be the #1 pick whenever he declares.

niel89
02-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Andrew Luck is gonna be a top Qb when he comes out but hopefully he allows himself another 2 years of playing to develop further. His accuracy is amazing at times and his numbers will boom once the offense moves toward a passing attack.

umphrey
02-10-2010, 05:50 AM
I like both these prospects more than any quarterback to enter the draft in about 4-5 years. They still have a year to screw it up though, odds are one of them will.

I'd go with Locker if I was turning in the card for my team.

My biggest knock on them:

Mallett stares down his receivers too much and he has to improve on progressing through his reads. You can say that about 99% of college quarterbacks though. I really believe that won't be a problem for him in the pros. He's a player that will work at it and develop those skills. I just think he'll be more of a Philip Rivers type than a Drew Brees type.

Locker is gonna have a slightly tougher time when defenses don't respect him running the ball as much - he'll see defenses in coverage schemes more. Again, you can say this about 99% of college quarterbacks. It's not like he won't be able to run the ball in the pros, it's that teams won't scheme against it as much. I think he'll be a lot like Aaron Rodgers - he'll scramble to throw which he already does pretty damn well, but will still be up there in the league leaders in QB rushing especially in first downs and touchdowns and 3rd down conversions.

brasho
02-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Mallet's biggest issue right now is consistently being accurate, that 1st half of the bowl game he was very hot and cold in the short game. I rarely say the standard stock, "he needs to bulk up", I think too many people say that and don't really know what it means onthe football field as they just think he would look better on the field and on the hgt/wgt sheet, but Mallet really needs to add a little size. Between him and Tony Pike, I don't recall ever seeing a QB that SKINNY. I remember Cris Collinsworth being a stick but that was a different era, he was a bigger WR back then. I just don't see those two holding up in the NFL at that weight.

Babylon
02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Andrew Luck is gonna be a top Qb when he comes out but hopefully he allows himself another 2 years of playing to develop further. His accuracy is amazing at times and his numbers will boom once the offense moves toward a passing attack.

I think it is doubtful at this time that he would come out after only two years playing there at Stanford. He sort of reminds me of a Matt Ryan but it's probably still early for that. He is going to have to adjust to differant coverages as teams loaded up on the run this past year.

As for comparing Luck right now to Locker and Mallet i dont see him leapfroging those two.

Romarville
02-13-2010, 02:07 AM
If Locker had more talent around him, especially on the o-line, I don't think there would be any comparison between him and Mallett. Sarkisian is doing a fine job developing him for the next level. Now if only by some miracle the Seahawks could get the no. 1 pick next year...

descendency
02-13-2010, 05:16 AM
He is extremely poised in the pocket (improved from his sophomore season) and is really an underrated athlete.

Tony Pike?

If Locker had more talent around him, especially on the o-line, I don't think there would be any comparison between him and Mallett. Sarkisian is doing a fine job developing him for the next level. Now if only by some miracle the Seahawks could get the no. 1 pick next year...

If Pete Carroll lives up to what he did in the Pros, it won't be much of a miracle.

edit: Pryor is too raw right now. He throws off the back of his feet a lot. He does a lot of scrambling which makes it worse. I don't see him standing in the pocket enough and making those passes. Andrew Luck won't be considered for #1 overall because his arm strength is too low. It's rare to take a guy that high with mediocre arm strength. He should be top 5 in the QB class though.

armageddon
02-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Good luck losing more games that the Rams next year, lol. The Rams will blow for one more year before turning it around in 2011.

Romarville
02-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Good luck losing more games that the Rams next year, lol. The Rams will blow for one more year before turning it around in 2011.

I think we (Seahawks) can count on two wins next year courtesy of St. Louis. But who knows? Maybe the Rams will defy expectations and draft a QB in the first or second round.

thetedginnshow
02-13-2010, 04:17 PM
I live in Washington and have seen all of Locker's games and I think he's severely overrated. I don't know if Mallett is that great, but I feel he's better than Locker at least.

Brent
02-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I wasnt that impressed with Mallett this past year.

JFLO
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Tony Pike?

Christian Ponder is a better prospect than Tony Pike.

1. He is more aware in the pocket
2. He plays in a pro-style offense at FSU and his stats aren't inflated at all.
3. Better overall arm

The more I've watched Ponder ( and this is all in film from last year) the more I think he is a late 1st rounder. Of course, this all depends on how Ponder flourishes with Jimbo Fiser as the head coach, but he should be fine.

Babylon
02-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I think we (Seahawks) can count on two wins next year courtesy of St. Louis. But who knows? Maybe the Rams will defy expectations and draft a QB in the first or second round.

I think Seattle will probably win a few games next year (6 or 7) so to get into Jake locker range they are going to have to trade up or somehow acquire another 1st by way of this years draft process. It wouldnt hurt to see the Rams draft a QB this year as you mentioned.

Babylon
02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I live in Washington and have seen all of Locker's games and I think he's severely overrated. I don't know if Mallett is that great, but I feel he's better than Locker at least.

Just curious what exactly about Locker do you think is overrated? If you've seen all his games this year you know his O-line is subpar, the receivers are very young and the special teams and defense pretty much force the offense to start every drive at their own twenty yard line.

As for Jake he's a high character guy, has ideal size, strong arm and fleet afoot, not sure what i'm not seeing here with Jake Locker.

thetedginnshow
02-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Just curious what exactly about Locker do you think is overrated? If you've seen all his games this year you know his O-line is subpar, the receivers are very young and the special teams and defense pretty much force the offense to start every drive at their own twenty yard line.

As for Jake he's a high character guy, has ideal size, strong arm and fleet afoot, not sure what i'm not seeing here with Jake Locker.

I was actually surprised when I saw all the experts and draft sites pegging Locker so high. It's kind of funny because all of the UW fans I know beyond the homers don't really care for Locker.

But in any case, I think he has all the physical talents in the world, but I just don't really think he has it between the ears. His recognition is way too slow, his pocket presence isn't that great, and he never really willed his team to victory (not just a comeback win, but something more in my mind). There's also things about how he leads receivers and the way he scrambles that are things that you can't really change that I'm just not a fan of.

But yeah, physically, he pretty much has everything. Whoever it was that said they remind him of a right-handed Steve Young (I think it was a scout or a GM that said it to Mort) I think is absolutely ridiculous though. He doesn't use his talents to their capabilities. He's pretty good with touch on intermediate throws, but I think his deep ball is pretty mediocre and he too often fastballs the short crossing routes. He has nice straight-line speed but he doesn't really have the sort of agility that I think is more useful for a QB.

And how you were talking about how he has a young team, well, I feel like that'd be a prime opportunity to really lead the team, but to me it seemed more like he was just playing within the system and trying to improve himself, which while is great, I think it would have benefited them quite a bit if he really took charge, and that's something you can't learn and it's something I don't really think he has.

As for the offense, his line wasn't terrible. They weren't good, but they weren't absolutely detrimental, and honestly, he's a mobile quarterback for a reason and he should still be able to make plays. And Polk is a terrific runningback (I know you didn't mention him as a knock, but you also didn't mention him at all) that should have taken some pressure off of him. His receivers were young, yes, but I don't see why that means much. They're very talented. If they get the exposure and have someone throwing to them that can get them the ball, Johnson and Middleton could be first or second round picks when it's all said and done. And Kearse and Aguilar had better seasons than them (but I don't really care for Aguilar)!

But I don't know. I can definitely be wrong and I tend to judge QBs quickly and I haven't been a fan of Locker (i.e. in their freshman or sophomore years, liked Sanchez, Ryan, Henne, Leinart, Cutler, didn't like Stafford, Brohm, Woodson, Russell, Quinn, Painter, and for the future, don't like Pryor, don't like Barkley). I think he made the right decisions by getting another year in this offense though and I certainly see him being a first round pick, but I don't see him being very successful. Hopefully though he at least notches up some wins for the Huskies this year before the Second Coming takes over.

wicket
02-13-2010, 05:59 PM
locker, easily of those two, guy has shown he can ball without any offensive line at all, showed up for the big games etc etc etc

Babylon
02-13-2010, 06:01 PM
^
Well thought out response Ginn but come on their offense line was getting absolutely blown up against any team that had a decent defense. Ben Ossai was so horrendous at LT that they had to take the senior out of the lineup at the end of the season. The receivers would run bad routes on a regular basis,(not even counting all the drops) you mention Middleton and Johnson, Johnson dissappeared after a good beginning to the season and Middleton really needs to up his intensity to even be thought of as a draft choice.

I respect your opinion but fans that arent homers dont like Locker? March them up to Edmonds i'd like to meet them cause i havent seen any.

thetedginnshow
02-13-2010, 07:07 PM
^
Well thought out response Ginn but come on their offense line was getting absolutely blown up against any team that had a decent defense. Ben Ossai was so horrendous at LT that they had to take the senior out of the lineup at the end of the season. The receivers would run bad routes on a regular basis,(not even counting all the drops) you mention Middleton and Johnson, Johnson dissappeared after a good beginning to the season and Middleton really needs to up his intensity to even be thought of as a draft choice.

I respect your opinion but fans that arent homers dont like Locker? March them up to Edmonds i'd like to meet them cause i havent seen any.

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to bash people saying only homers like him, but just of my friends only the homer ones really care for him.

But yeah. I understand the line wasn't good, but I just don't really feel it was so terrible that a mobile QB couldn't have looked a little better with if he had better pocket presence (IMO). I can't say anything about the route running because I don't remember but I'll take your word for it on that. I think really highly of Johnson though (Middleton not so much, but I still think he could be very productive) and I more chalk up him disappearing to outside factors (Locker, the offense, circumstances the team were in, etc.) more so than him, but that could be biased.

Babylon
02-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Just so you know, I wasn't trying to bash people saying only homers like him, but just of my friends only the homer ones really care for him.

But yeah. I understand the line wasn't good, but I just don't really feel it was so terrible that a mobile QB couldn't have looked a little better with if he had better pocket presence (IMO). I can't say anything about the route running because I don't remember but I'll take your word for it on that. I think really highly of Johnson though (Middleton not so much, but I still think he could be very productive) and I more chalk up him disappearing to outside factors (Locker, the offense, circumstances the team were in, etc.) more so than him, but that could be biased.

I'm actually looking for James to bounce back this year, they obviously went more to Kearse and Aguillar but Johnson is talented. I'm looking for a big year from the offense and obviously no matter what you or i think Jake is going to be a high pick.

descendency
02-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Christian Ponder is a better prospect than Tony Pike.

1. He is more aware in the pocket
2. He plays in a pro-style offense at FSU and his stats aren't inflated at all.
3. Better overall arm

The more I've watched Ponder ( and this is all in film from last year) the more I think he is a late 1st rounder. Of course, this all depends on how Ponder flourishes with Jimbo Fiser as the head coach, but he should be fine.

I think his top end range is late first round, with his bottom being somewhere around where Pike's is.

However, you are right about Ponder being a better prospect, but not by a lot.