PDA

View Full Version : The Atlanta Falcons First Round Pick Thread

Shiver
03-13-2007, 04:28 PM
For all discussions about the 10th pick. Prospects, trade possibilities up or down, so forth.

I will start it off. Assuming Quinn and Russell go in the top-10, here is my top-8 big board;

Calvin Johnson
Joe Thomas
Gaines Adams
Adrian Peterson
Laron Landry
Alan Branch
Jamaal Anderson
Amobi Okoye

One of those players will surely be there.

thefalconer
03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
i wonder how many will be busts in a couple years..

Shiver
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
If Jimmy Williams is moved to Safety, Chris Houston vaults unto my big board. He is perfect for what this scheme demands from it's cover corners.

iloxygenil
03-13-2007, 05:17 PM
I like Houston, I really do, I just hope he's not the next Ahmad Carrol

DraftMichaelHuff
03-13-2007, 05:52 PM
i think Carricker should be there ahead of Jamaal Anderson or at least a consideration at #10, I cant think of one area where Anderson has him covered, except for maybe sacks this last year.

Carricker is bigger, stronger, faster, more agile,has has better production, better at the POA a great motor and is as much of a sure thing as i can see in the draft at the moment. People keep saying its his size and 40 that means he should be a 3/4 guy, but he ran faster than anderson in the 40 at the respective prodays and had a great short shuttle time at the combine, and is around the same size as the best DE in the NFL Juluis Peppers

iloxygenil
03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
It could be interesting. The thing that I think about DEs though, is if Carrington can pack on some pounds, he could be a real beast. He was playing in the 250s last year, if he could get up to 270 (which with his 6-7 frame shouldn't be too hard) he could really cause some problems. I am a big fan of Carrington.

thefalconer
03-13-2007, 08:03 PM
whos had a better collegiate football career in your opinion? carriker or anderson?

Shiver
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Jamaal Anderson is definitely the more explosive player. He has pass rush potential that Adam Carriker doesn't have, nor will ever have. Carriker is better at the point of attack, and is more consistent. Though that is a given considering Anderson is much more raw than Carriker is. Over the first couple of seasons Carriker would be the better player. Anderson I feel, would eventually surpass him. Then again, I think Anderson has been tested more so than Carriker, and still out-played him last year.

Bosanac01
03-13-2007, 10:46 PM
We dont have to take a DE with our #10 pick since DEs are loaded in this draft, we can take a real good one in the second round. I say Laron Landry at #10, but i dont know if we want a DB once again in the draft. Possibly we trade down.

d34ng3l021
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I think my board is the same, with Branch and Anderson flipped. I like Branch, but I think DE is just too big of a need, and Anderson is a pretty good prospect himself. Wasnt his 3 cone like ridiculously low...yes it was. His 3 cone at the pro day was better than alot of the RB's 3 cones at the combine and it was in the range of WRs. Very good broad jump too. He seems to have alot of explosiveness. Combine that with his size, thats really impressive. But he is really raw.

Shiver
03-13-2007, 11:02 PM
He is raw, but in a platoon with Carrington and Davis he wouldn't have to play too often. Sporting News and Mel Kiper has him as our pick at Ten. Our team is dangerously thin on the D-Line, and has been to a fault the past two years, that's why I would be fine with any of elite ones. At 1-tech or at End.

d34ng3l021
03-13-2007, 11:19 PM
He is raw, but in a platoon with Carrington and Davis he wouldn't have to play too often. Sporting News and Mel Kiper has him as our pick at Ten. Our team is dangerously thin on the D-Line, and has been to a fault the past two years, that's why I would be fine with any of elite ones. At 1-tech or at End.

You think he would be able to play Abrahams position, because there is no way he plays more than 4 games.

thefalconer
03-14-2007, 09:46 AM
We dont have to take a DE with our #10 pick since DEs are loaded in this draft, we can take a real good one in the second round. I say Laron Landry at #10, but i dont know if we want a DB once again in the draft. Possibly we trade down.

i think landry is who almost everyone wants after our horrid coverage last season but he might not be there.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
i think landry is who almost everyone wants after our horrid coverage last season but he might not be there.

that is, in my opinion Landry's big ?? is his ability to cover the deep ball something ive nver really liked about him, and lead me to belive he is more of an all round SS than a coverage FS who can tackle(what we want). He proved he has speed but scouts reported him to have hips that are not "fluid" at his pro day (i remember reading somewhere) and that furthermore backs up my suspicion.

At #10 a DE is, i think (according to importance of position and value) where we should go. There are two guys there who would be perfect compliments to Abraham in Carricker and Anderson and also be great value at our pick.

the fact of the matter is we need starting quality DE FS OT and maybe OG depending on fonitu and the rest of F/A so we need to trade Shaub for a high 2nd and start filling these needs.IMO
#10 Carricker/Anderson
#33 Joe Staley
#42 Weedle/Merriweather
#74 Manny Remirez

If we dont trade Shaub i truley believe we should trade down and grab Reggie Nelson (who excells at what we want and dont have in Crocker and perhaps still would not have with Landry) coverage skills, as well as being still able to tackle, at around 15-20 and aquire some more picks to make sure we have a FS DE OT AND OG at the end of the first day

Shiver
03-16-2007, 12:18 AM
I want to trade down and take Joe Staley. This draft is shallow at OT, and that's a need. Why not trade down, pick up Staley, and accumulate picks? He's 6'6" 305-lbs, very athletic, and he has more room to grow.

Modano
03-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Is Levi Brown an option for you guys?

Shiver
03-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Teams around the league are 'HOT/COLD' on Levi Brown. For example; the Dolphins don't think highly of him. Personally, Levi Brown doesn't seem likely. Rich McKay is an avid "B.P.A" drafter. I don't see a situation in which Brown is that guy.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I want to trade down and take Joe Staley. This draft is shallow at OT, and that's a need. Why not trade down, pick up Staley, and accumulate picks? He's 6'6" 305-lbs, very athletic, and he has more room to grow.

yeh whatever it takes he did exactly what i expected at his proday and thought all along he would, he has everything we need in an LT it would be really good if we could trade down and work it so we have 2 mid-low 1st rounders and get Reggie Nelson and Joe Staley maybe trade down from 10 for a 1st and 2nd and then trade up from 40? and still have the 2nd from the initial trade down?? that could work but didnt check the value

#10 gone (moved down)
#17 Reggie Nelson
#23 Joe Staley
#40 gone (moved up)
#47 from the trade down IAF-DE Hawaii we have Davis so there IS time to learn and this guy has a better upside than Carricker and Anderson put together (kinda)

D-Rod
03-16-2007, 01:17 PM
i'd take the patriots two 1st rounders...

that would be good position for:

Staley, Nelson, Crowder (#40); or
Staley, Charles Johnson, Weddle; or
Brown, Griffin, Mcdonald.

I think that we need three 1st and 2nd round picks to address OT/FS/DE, whether that be through a trade of Schaub or a tradedown.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Out of the top 5 OT's in the draft Levi Brown scares me the most,
I dont think Nelson would be there at the first of the patriots 1st rounders but i guess you never know, perhaps even trade down to #24-ish nd then move up from #24 slightly but still keep #28.

Did you think of the patriots before, or after you saw the article/thread about them working out Carricker? it certainly puts more substance behind it because they would need to trade to #10 as the 49ers at #11 would likley take him.

Crowder would be a nice DE at #40 i really really really like IAF there too

Shiver
03-16-2007, 11:42 PM
The Texans have now completely addressed their RB situation. It looks like Adrian Peterson will be a Falcon, unless Buffalo trades up for him.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-17-2007, 07:15 AM
I would be absouletly estatic with Adrian Peterson. He is a stud.

But aren't the Browns still a legit possibilty?

scar988
03-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Adrian Peterson would be sick nasty for us. especially if Fonoti plays better than expected (and is re-signed after this year for what he is worth) and Omiyale wins the starting job at LT (he truly fits well there, is a great pass blocker and was a good drive blocker in college. he had trouble picking up zone blocking though and IMO could really be good with a guy like Fonoti next to him and a guy like Weiner still here to mentor him. Hopefully we have our guys gain 10-15 pounds a piece too. let's say he line goes from this:
Gandy - 6'4" 315
Lehr - 6'3" 304
McClure - 6'1" 286
Forney - 6'3" 307
Weiner - 6'5" 297
to this:
Omiyale - 6'4" 320
Fonoti - 6'4" 350
McClure - 6'1" 300
Forney - 6'3" 320
Weiner - 6'5" 310
it increases our average weight from 302 pounds to around 320 pounds. more power for the run game and better pass blocking on the left side to match the good pass blocking on the right side now.

iloxygenil
03-17-2007, 09:02 AM
If we got Adrian we would have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL for the next 8 years no matter what we did lol.

Shiver
03-17-2007, 11:00 PM
I would be absouletly estatic with Adrian Peterson. He is a stud.

But aren't the Browns still a legit possibilty?

I think they take a QB. Jamal isn't the long term answer, but he allows them to hold off on Running Back until later in the draft.

iloxygenil
03-18-2007, 06:22 AM
I just don't think they can pass on him. I think they'd be crazy to pass a talent like that.

mahnee
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I understand the attraction of drafting CJ and keeping him in house, but me as the biggest CJ fan, a GT alum, and a loyal fan of the falcons for over 20 years I cannot agree with any trading up to get CJ early. We have so many holes on both sides of the ball and we lack depth everywhere because we have so much money locked into one shaky player. So trade down....get a real ILB like Patrick Willis at 15 if he's still there. We cannot count on Brooking AGAIN although he is WAY past his prime and only collects those numbers by adding on half-tackles at the end of the play. Please McKay do it right for a change!!!! We haven't had draft picks of value in at least 5 years!!!!!

Shiver
03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I understand the attraction of drafting CJ and keeping him in house, but me as the biggest CJ fan, a GT alum, and a loyal fan of the falcons for over 20 years I cannot agree with any trading up to get CJ early. We have so many holes on both sides of the ball and we lack depth everywhere because we have so much money locked into one shaky player. So trade down....

I agree up to this point.

get a real ILB like Patrick Willis at 15 if he's still there. We cannot count on Brooking AGAIN although he is WAY past his prime and only collects those numbers by adding on half-tackles at the end of the play. Please McKay do it right for a change!!!! We haven't had draft picks of value in at least 5 years!!!!!

He is getting old, and his tackle numbers are a tad misleading. That said; I think Jordan Beck gets the nod if the team sours on Brooking, rather than a draft pick. Still, I would expect Brooking to be the starter for at least one more year.

mahnee
03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
He is getting old, and his tackle numbers are a tad misleading. That said; I think Jordan Beck gets the nod if the team sours on Brooking, rather than a draft pick. Still, I would expect Brooking to be the starter for at least one more year.

I was excited to see us draft Beck seeing his 40 time. Beck has shown flashes of greatness in preseason contests but he's playing against second tier competition and hasn't stayed healthy. With as much injury problems our LB corp had last year he still didn't take the field often which makes me very worried about our soft middle being in his hands. Brooking is no better and he cannot lay the wood. How many times do you see RB's make first contact against our D and then gain 3 or 4 more yards dragging our guys? We need a mean streak, and somebody that will hit an RB and make them drop. As much as I hate to admit it, the SEC PUMPS NFL talent and Pat Willis being a starter for years at Ole Miss is no different. MLB is still a need although not as apparent as S or DE. I'd say almost as important as OL.

Although Nelson is a bit more of a gamble b/c of his lack of D1 experience and size he could still be available up to 7 picks later than our 10th. If not Willis then Nelson and get more picks! We'll still have talent at the S position possibly available in the 2nd if Meriweather and Griffin lasts that long. Who just wants to see our D get nasty??

iloxygenil
03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't agree with you Mahnee.

Beck is incredible, and he packs a serious punch with his tackles. His first NFL hit...a forced fumble. He was fine all last year, except our coaching staff last year wasn't good. I think he should have gotten some play time for sure last season.

thefalconer
03-19-2007, 09:35 PM
i would love patrick willis but we have other needs. i would like to blame beck's lack of playing time to the incompetence of the mora regime. hopefully that was it and he is valuable.

was his 'first NFL tackle-forced fumble' in a regular season game? or a preseason exhibition?

iloxygenil
03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
preseason. He hasn't played any snaps as a LB I don't think in regular season.

BamaFalcon59
03-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't want to place faith in a guy who couldn't touch the field last year. I don't believe it is all coaching staff, not when Ike Reese was seeing time at MLB and SLB.

mahnee
03-19-2007, 10:43 PM
my thoughts exactly bama. i understand that we have MUCH greater needs, but i mentioned willis because this is a very weak ILB draft, he's the pick of the litter by far, and I believe he would still be available if we trade a few spots down. This draft is loaded w/ safety talent and one of them will still be available in the second. Trading down would only get us more picks and we need all the help we can get to fill in the other areas of much needed depth

iloxygenil
03-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Buster Davis is a baller. So, that's someone who is a viable option, his size is going to cause him to fall, but on the field you can't beat what he does.

thefalconer
03-20-2007, 09:53 AM
im so sick of all these 'ifs' but if we do draft willis, that would leave d-will on the bench again. everyone seems so high on him but what was the point of tendering him if we keep him on the bench? he is capable of starting if he beefs up some and can get stronger. i would like brooking in the middle but he doesnt want to. so would you guys want dwill starting or beck?

our most dire need is safety imo. but going on mckay's track record, we're gonna take bpa as everyone has said already. i dont see us tradng down or up and schaub is gonna be a falcon next season whether it may be a waste or not.

iloxygenil
03-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I think PWillis isn't even on our team's draft board to be honest with you. LB isn't anything we need early in the draft it would be foolish to take him at 10 he's not worth that kind of a pick, especially not with guys like Timmons likely being there in the 2nd round. People are just infatuated with his numbers. He's solid, but I don't want him.

The other part about it, is yes, we need a Safety, but we also are desperate for OL, we are just going to have to let it fall how it does, and not reach, because if we reach, we're going to get messed up. You have to take BPA and just let the rest of it fall into place. I would be estatic to see us take a Safety or WR early on, but if they're not on the board, you have to go with other positions.

Demorrio is a baller, and is going to light it up in Zimmer's defense. People give Demorrio too much crap, he led the team in tackles (not pile jumps like Brooking) teams run at him sure, but you can't blame him for not being able to get off Guards who our DTs were supposed to eat up anyway. That was 2 years ago...last year...he was leading the team in tackles again, and was looking very good doing it. Our coaches felt the pressure to put Hartwell back out there because of the money he was being paid, not because he made our defense better. Demorrio is an incredible athlete and has fantastic instincts. He does better at getting though blocks than people say he does, but he does struggle against offensive linemen, but then again, do did Brooking and Boley...so *shrug*

Shiver
03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
A linebacker at #10 is out of the question. That said; I wouldn't mind Buster Davis, or David Harris, in round two.

mahnee
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Who ever said LB at 10? I said trade down to possibly get Willis and GAIN picks. People who have only heard of Willis after the combine shouldn't even comment on this thread and I am not infatuated with Willis's combine numbers. I'm impressed with his life's story and the fact that I've watched him play crappy Jefferson Pilot games on Saturdays over the past 3 years so I know he's a gamer. His combine results just solidify his 1st round status.

To all those who think 1st round draft picks on LB's are bogus, would you have taken Ray Lewis earlier than 26th in 96? How about Vilma at 12 or Urlacher at 9? The list goes on and on, but if you had to do it over again would you take them earlier? Can you say franchise?

Shiver
03-20-2007, 03:57 PM
David Harris is also a gamer. Buster Davis is also a gamer. HB Blades is a gamer. All of those Linebackers can be acquired latter in the draft. Just like last year's top flight linebackers were all out-produced by 2nd round pick, Demeco Ryans.

D-Rod
03-20-2007, 04:51 PM
screw linebackers. we have plenty of young talent at the position already, and it has been proven repeatedly that excellent LBs can be found in the 3rd-5th rounds. I wouldn't mind someone like Black in the 4th, but nothing earlier.

needs at DE, FS, and OT/OG are far more important, and must be addressed before we even think about adding LB depth.

Shiver
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
With Schaub traded, this allows the team to not reach at #10, instead with B.P.A.

SimonRath
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I still think we shoudl draft LaRon Landry.. Now that Houston doesn't need Quinn they are almost a lock to draft Peterson..

Shiver
03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
If any of the following are there, they are locks; Adrian Peterson, Laron Landry, Gaines Adams.

Shiver
03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
WOW...

We swapped picks with the Texans. We get their 8th overall pick, they get 10th.

iloxygenil
03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I am SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

iloxygenil
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Picking #8, isn't that where we got Deangelo? I think it's the perfect spot again!

Wow...this is really exciting...

Shiver
03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Now our odds of getting Peterson, or Landry, just jumped exponentially.

iloxygenil
03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
I think Landry is my top choice now...but I still like the thought of Anderson at LDE. Wow...SO many ways to go...I think we should trade down with Houston for the #10 pick and get their 3rd rounder too.

thefalconer
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
omg.. the guys on the main nfl board are making it sound as if the texans got the better part of the deal but i think we ripped them off. i dont see schaub doing too well despite his weapons in houston.

Shiver
03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm still think that Minnesota will take Landry.

thefalconer
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
NO!!! i hope youre wrong shiver.

Shiver
03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Assuming Quinn and Russell are taken in the top-8, then the top six on the Falcons big board will be;

Calvin Johnson
Joe Thomas
Gaines Adams
Adrian Peterson
Laron Landry

Not in any order. Now, who would be the 6th player, in case those players were gone?

SimonRath
03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I guess we would have to deal with Jamaal Anderson.. Not that it's bad or anything

thefalconer
03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
anderson or carriker.

mahnee
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
please not carriker

Shiver
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
The best value, if those top six are gone, may just be Amobi Okoye.

Leon Hall, maybe? After all, he that allow Williams to play at Safety, fixing two needs.

Levi Brown? There are some rumors that Miami was going to take him. Now Atlanta jumped them.

Jamaal Anderson is a possbility.

I'm not sure about Carriker's fit. I think his high end value is more so with the 3-4 teams, like San Francisco.

It will be interesting.

iloxygenil
03-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I am just really excited...2 spots up isn't that big of a deal, but when you look at it, it's quite possible that we have a shot at Levi, if we like him.

Shiver
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I am just really excited...2 spots up isn't that big of a deal, but when you look at it, it's quite possible that we have a shot at Levi, if we like him.

Teams either really like Levi Brown, or not. Some teams have him as a late-1st grade. Some have him as a top-10 pick. I guess we won't know until April, if those other guys I mentioned are taken prior to #8.

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
So did this trade actually change your first round draft hopes? I know a lot of you liked AD or Landry and believed whole heartedly that one would get to you. Has that changed? Or is there a new name who is now on the radar that wasn't previously?

Shiver
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Not really. It just increases the likely hood of acquiring Peterson, or Landry. Before, Houston could've taken either, Miami may have looked at Landry. Also, it takes Buffalo, and Green Bay, out of the picture for a possible trade-up to jump Atlanta.

Shiver
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Adam Schefter reports that Atlanta may have done this to jump Miami, for Levi Brown or Laron Landry. Perhaps Brown is our "Mr. Six."

America
03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
I had Anderson to yall in my last mock and I still think it would work here.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-21-2007, 07:06 PM
For me my priority at 8 goes
#1 Adrian Peterson
#2 trade down to around pick #14 and gather more picks (even more than before from the increased value of #8 and get Nelson or Levi Brown
#3Jamaal Anderson
#4 Laron Landry, his hips are still too rigid and has too many problems with the deep ball to be our FS, if we are after a successor fo Lawyer then maybe... thats just my opinion

Shiver
03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
If Landry was good enough to start on Nick Saban's championship defense, at FS, then he's fine by me.

thefalconer
03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
my big board

1) gaines adams
2) laron landry
3) adrian peterson
4) jamaal anderson
5) amobi okoye
6) levi brown

grizmoandchodey
03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
with your trade for the #8 obviously shows that the falcons are either looking for the great power run game of Adrian Peterson or possibly looking at an offensive tackle like Levi Brown. Again with Kerney gone Gaines Adams or Aanderson could possibly fall into your laps, but right now many options have beeen at the #8 pick for a while and right now the Falcons have a lot of options

grizmoandchodey
03-21-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm still think that Minnesota will take Landry.

Minnesota won't take LAndry because Quinn wwill probably still be available at the #7 and if he is their taking him in a blink of an eye. But possibly if Quinn goes to the lions which is definitely possible the Vikings could possibly go with Landry or someone maybe like Leon Hall since Fred Smoot is gone. But a great Sharper and Landry safety duo would be great for the Vikings

d34ng3l021
03-21-2007, 07:33 PM
So heres just a few questions I am throwing out there...

Will we trade up for CJ? We could trade our first day for pick 3 to get him. Though I wouldnt particularly like getting rid of so many picks, has there been anything said about NOT trading up?

Do we trade up for other guys like Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams? Joe Thomas is an elite prospect in a position we REALLY need help on...He would be perfect and could easily make an impact at the next level immediatly.

How about trading down? I still think if we dont like any of the guys at 8 (if Mr. Six is some guy we happen to get stuck with and I dont like him) I still think we should trade down and draft Chris Houston. Helps us aquire more picks to address LT, LG, RB, DE, FS.

Say you got this situation. LaRon Landry and Adrian Peterson are on the board. Who do you take?

Those are all the questions for tonight folks. Here are my answers:

1. No. Too many picks lost and we have other needs. I would NOT be furious however if we went through with the trade. Calvin Johnson seems like he just CANT bust and is a sure fire Pro Bowl WR.

2. I kind of like this idea. We might be able to trade up for Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams to help us out immediatly. I am not a HUGE fan of Gaines Adams, but he is clearly the best DE in this deep class and would help out on the other side of JA. Joe Thomas would help with the transformation of this line. With him, we would have the whole like set except for LG (I like McClure, Forney, and Weiner). Depth would also be decent.

3. Trading down to pick up a guy you are high on is always a good idea in my opinion. We could trade down to like the 14-20ish range and pick up an extra 2nd round pick. With that we could draft Nelson or Houston, and then pick up Staley, Grubbs, Blaylock, Brian Leonard, or other guys like that. And thats just the first round.

4. I am having a really hard time deciding between AD and Landry (I know the chances of both of them being there is miniscule). AD is one of the best pure RBs to come out in a long time...Laron Landry is one of the best prospects at S for a while (save Sean). If both were on the board, I would have to go with Laron Landry. If he is used correctly (to his strengths) he would be a great fit...and you wouldnt have to worry about his career turning out like Ki-Jana Carter.

Btw, how do you get rep points?

Xiomera
03-21-2007, 08:05 PM
How likely is it that Atlanta will use some of their newly acquired ammunition to move up to #2 for CJ?

And what would ATL offer by way of picks to DET if they did?

catcher_0_3
03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
1. We are going to have near 11 picks!!! We have the tools to trade up for Calvin with that many, not to mention we could give them one of next year's picks or what not. How bout our #8, our 2nd round pick and next year's 2nd round pick for the 2nd or 3rd pick in April. It makes perfect since to me. O wow we lose a pick in this years draft, we get freaking CALVIN JOHNSON. How about this mini-mock

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Brandon Merriweather
3. Tim Crowder
4. Manuel Ramirez
4. Ryan Harris
4. Kenny Scott
5. Kolby Smith
6. Dan Mozes
7. Troy Smith
7. Matt Spaeth

Shiver
03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
How likely is it that Atlanta will use some of their newly acquired ammunition to move up to #2 for CJ?

And what would ATL offer by way of picks to DET if they did?

I hope not. WR is 6th/7th on the "need" list. Not enough to justify, giving up three top-45 picks for one. Regardless of how good he is.

Quanity (three of the following; O-Line, D-Line, DB, RB) > Quality at WR

thefalconer
03-21-2007, 08:43 PM
i think mckay should chill until the draft. hes done plenty. im happy with the postion we're now. only improvement i can see is if we sign muitalo or mare.

iloxygenil
03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
He can chill for a while, that's for sure, he did a great job.

mahnee
03-21-2007, 11:18 PM
#4 Laron Landry, his hips are still too rigid and has too many problems with the deep ball to be our FS, if we are after a successor fo Lawyer then maybe... thats just my opinion

I'm glad that somebody else thinks this. We keep talking about help w/ deep coverage but Landry has 12 career picks after starting for 4 years. Although he has several PBU, and other statistics that prevent actual receptions from the offense, Nelson is a true ballhawk and game-changer. A trade down to 13/14 would be great for Nelson who is a better FS prospect. IMO Laron plays a better SS and we also still have the option of moving Jimmy to FS. I'd love a franchise MLB like Willis w/ a trade down (I know I'm gonna catch crap for saying that ) or otherwise Reggie Nelson. The top 3 DE's are getting a lot of noteriaty but there's some projects available on Day 2. Agreeing with Scott Wright, I'd love to see Baratka Atkins living up to his blue chip status and be in a Falcons uni.

Do you guys really like Levi Brown? I don't know about ya'll, but I think the program a prospect comes from means a lot. Strength, speed, and skill conditioning programs differ from schools, and PSU's has never impressed me. Take away Larry Johnson and how many busts have Penn St produced? Of their current NFL players, how many of them were ever OL? (I'll give you a hint....TWO: Kareem McKenzie and Marco Rivera and both play on teams with "Shaky" O-lines)

DraftMichaelHuff
03-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Do you guys really like Levi Brown? I don't know about ya'll, but I think the program a prospect comes from means a lot. Strength, speed, and skill conditioning programs differ from schools, and PSU's has never impressed me. Take away Larry Johnson and how many busts have Penn St produced? Of their current NFL players, how many of them were ever OL? (I'll give you a hint....TWO: Kareem McKenzie and Marco Rivera and both play on teams with "Shaky" O-lines)

QFT id be horrified if we moved up to #8 and got Brown,to me he is WAY WAY to risky and Joe Staley will be a better pro, if they are gonna do it at least rape someone again in another trade to move down to #14 sh and get brown leaving us with other picks to make up for getting brown...if that makes sense

D-Rod
03-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Brown seems to split teams half and half. If we're in the half that doesn't like him at #8, I'd be happy with this start to the draft:

Trade down with Pats for #24 and #28 (the value is dead on, they may want Landry).

#24: Brown or Staley
#28: Griffin or Meriweather
#39: Ch Johnson or Crowder
#44: Grubbs or Blaylock

4 needs, all resolved in top 44 picks. Sweet.

Shiver
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
With the new influx of posters, this board is become more, and more, like the AFMB.

"Vick/Schaub"

"Trade up for Calvin!"

NOOOO!!!!!!!

iloxygenil
03-22-2007, 02:29 PM
That really does suck =( Can you block them? lol

Shiver
03-23-2007, 02:15 AM
That really does suck =( Can you block them? lol

They'll learn the ropes. Eventually they will realize that we aren't interested in the same, main steam, rhetoric, that other forums like to discuss.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Right now, assuming Cleveland is enamored with Quinn, I cannot see a way we don't end up with Adrian "All Day" Peterson. They are the only team I could see seriously take him. Now that we are ahead of Houston. Not only that, Green Bay, Buffalo, would have to give up a king's ransom to get past the Falcons. He would easily be the "B.P.A" if he were to fall to #8. It would also allow the team to make Warrick Dunn expendable.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-23-2007, 03:01 AM
With the new influx of posters, this board is become more, and more, like the AFMB.

"Vick/Schaub"

"Trade up for Calvin!"

NOOOO!!!!!!!

Exactly why i made the "Calvin Johnson Debate" thread. I will hate it if this becomes another 15 year old infested "OMGZORZ TRAdeZ 4 thA geORGIA DUUDE" board, hopefully all that speculation can stay in there.

Currently i want the following players at our need positions

OT Joe Staley ---pick needed #24 to be safe
OG/C Kyle Young pick needed Day 2 anywhere...(this guy is huge 354lbs C or OG)
OG Manuel Remirez ---pick needed #76 --#96+
FS Reggie Nelson pick needed #15
FS Brendan Merriweather ---pick needed #44
DE Jamaal Anderson ---pick needed #8
DE Adam Carricker ----pick needed #15
HB Adrian Peterson ---pick needed #8

So as you can see there are a million strategies circulating for draft day in my head at the moment

D-Rod
03-23-2007, 05:17 AM
Okay, let's say Cleveland doesn't take AD at #3.

Teams which might want to trade up for him are GB and BUF, but both of those teams have far too many holes to give up draft picks to move that far up. Besides, they'll end up scrapping it out for Lynch, i suspect.

So, if Cleveland don't take him, he should almost certainly be there. And I think we can agree that he would be BPA since, as an elite prospect, he is way ahead of Landry, Anderson or Brown. However, there are two questions to be answered:

1. How does this affect our other, more pressing needs?
2. What do we do with Dunn, Norwood, and AD all on the books?

1. I don't think it is a problem. With the two early second rounders, that is perfect value for DE and FS. Griffin/Meriweather should be there at #39, and C"bully"J/Crowder should be there at #44. Also, we have plenty of 4th round ammo to move up a little if necessary. The main loss is a potential Oline pick like Blaylock, but I actually think that the 3rd and 4th rounds are where the Oline value is this year.

2. This is a bigger headache. McKay and Blank have both said that Dunn will basically remain a Falcon until he wants to retire. From the business side, it would be easy: cut Dunn. But I'd be amazed if that would happen. Also, it is important that Norwood gets a decent number of carries, to aid his development. And obviously we want to get Peterson involved straight away.

Even with a run heavy offense, we'd be looking at a max of around 500 carries in a season. That could split 200 (AD), 150 (JN), 150 (WD), which would form quite a nice balance. I actually think that could work. However, there is another option.

Petrino like to run a lot of WRs. Both Norwood and Dunn are great receiving backs, both have serious pace and good hands. If we do draft AD, i could see both Norwood (who was looked at by some teams as a WR) and Dunn spending some time in a Bush-type role, split out at WR.

In short, AD will fit just fine, and from 2008 onwards we will have the best RB tandem in the league. Do it.

catcher_0_3
03-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Okay, let's say Cleveland doesn't take AD at #3.

Teams which might want to trade up for him are GB and BUF, but both of those teams have far too many holes to give up draft picks to move that far up. Besides, they'll end up scrapping it out for Lynch, i suspect.

So, if Cleveland don't take him, he should almost certainly be there. And I think we can agree that he would be BPA since, as an elite prospect, he is way ahead of Landry, Anderson or Brown. However, there are two questions to be answered:

1. How does this affect our other, more pressing needs?
2. What do we do with Dunn, Norwood, and AD all on the books?

1. I don't think it is a problem. With the two early second rounders, that is perfect value for DE and FS. Griffin/Meriweather should be there at #39, and C"bully"J/Crowder should be there at #44. Also, we have plenty of 4th round ammo to move up a little if necessary. The main loss is a potential Oline pick like Blaylock, but I actually think that the 3rd and 4th rounds are where the Oline value is this year.

2. This is a bigger headache. McKay and Blank have both said that Dunn will basically remain a Falcon until he wants to retire. From the business side, it would be easy: cut Dunn. But I'd be amazed if that would happen. Also, it is important that Norwood gets a decent number of carries, to aid his development. And obviously we want to get Peterson involved straight away.

Even with a run heavy offense, we'd be looking at a max of around 500 carries in a season. That could split 200 (AD), 150 (JN), 150 (WD), which would form quite a nice balance. I actually think that could work. However, there is another option.

Petrino like to run a lot of WRs. Both Norwood and Dunn are great receiving backs, both have serious pace and good hands. If we do draft AD, i could see both Norwood (who was looked at by some teams as a WR) and Dunn spending some time in a Bush-type role, split out at WR.

In short, AD will fit just fine, and from 2008 onwards we will have the best RB tandem in the league. Do it.

I thought we had "too many holes to fill" to not draft a S/CB/DE/T/G with our first pick, or second, or thrid for that matter. And last time I checked we have 2 very capable RB so far, and we just signed a FB for the short yardage situations. I understand that we wouldn't have to get rid of 1 pick to move up to get AP if he fell to us, but can you really run a 3 RB + short yardage back system in a pass heavy system.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Exactly why i made the "Calvin Johnson Debate" thread. I will hate it if this becomes another 15 year old infested "OMGZORZ TRAdeZ 4 thA geORGIA DUUDE" board, hopefully all that speculation can stay in there.

Every year it's a new "geORGIA DUUDE." Last year, it was an obsession over Greg Blue. The year before that, it was about David Pollack. This year, it's the same thing, expect times ten.

ChefMike
03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Right now, assuming Cleveland is enamored with Quinn, I cannot see a way we don't end up with Adrian "All Day" Peterson. They are the only team I could see seriously take him. Now that we are ahead of Houston. Not only that, Green Bay, Buffalo, would have to give up a king's ransom to get past the Falcons. He would easily be the "B.P.A" if he were to fall to #8. It would also allow the team to make Warrick Dunn expendable.

I agree 100% I think AD would be a great addition...for multiple reasons...1st of which check out the Post on Conspiracy Theory

Dunn is getting up in years and putting AD behind an improving OL would only give you an even more explosive running game...

Shiver
03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
From Len Pasquarelli:

Don't discount the Falcons using the eighth overall choice in the draft on Penn State left offensive tackle Levi Brown. The Falcons want to upgrade the offensive line, and have done next to nothing in free agency to address the area

It sounds like he may be someone the team covets. He definitely fits the mold. 6'5" 325-lbs, long arms, experienced. While some may point to the seemingly disappointing 40-time, he did well in the other agility drills. Contrast them to Joe Thomas;

10-yard dash

Brown - 1.84
Thomas - 1.75

20-yard shuttle

Brown - 4.89
Thomas - 4.88

3-cone

Brown - 7.87
Thomas - 7.95

Bench Reps

Brown - 31
Thomas - 28

Arm Length

Brown - 33 3/8
Thomas - 32 1/2

So besides the 40, and jumping, Brown performed equal, or better than Thomas. What is encouraging is the change of direction, quick feet, and strength. He out-did Thomas at those.

For me, change of direction, agility, strength, is more important than running in a straight line, and jumping high, for a O-Lineman.

Draft King
03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Brown. If Landry and Peterson are gone, I'd take Brown over Anderson.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-23-2007, 10:33 PM
From Len Pasquarelli:

It sounds like he may be someone the team covets. He definitely fits the mold. 6'5" 325-lbs, long arms, experienced. While some may point to the seemingly disappointing 40-time, he did well in the other agility drills. Contrast them to Joe Thomas;

10-yard dash

Brown - 1.84
Thomas - 1.75

20-yard shuttle

Brown - 4.89
Thomas - 4.88

3-cone

Brown - 7.87
Thomas - 7.95

Bench Reps

Brown - 31
Thomas - 28

Arm Length

Brown - 33 3/8
Thomas - 32 1/2

So besides the 40, and jumping, Brown performed equal, or better than Thomas. What is encouraging is the change of direction, quick feet, and strength. He out-did Thomas at those.

For me, change of direction, agility, strength, is more important than running in a straight line, and jumping high, for a O-Lineman.

It's tempting but im still not ready to move from my "Anti Brown at #8" stance just yet. Maybe the best thing to do is trade down to #14-ish and sit and see what happens? I mean you could probably end up with Nelson OR Carricker OR Brown dropping + another 2nd at least, giving us 3! where we would go for the other two position not taken at #14 plus an OG?

To me (at the moment) it seems as though none of Levi Brown, Carricker or Nelson would be gone buy #10 so they would have to almost go in succession 11.12.13 for us to be screwed over with my afformentioned trade down ...not likley so it would mean we have a great shot at a falling need player at #14 and still get to fill even more holes later

Shiver
03-24-2007, 07:16 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Brown. If Landry and Peterson are gone, I'd take Brown over Anderson.

That's how I feel.

D-Rod
03-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Another reason to draft Levi Brown.

If Gandy does have one more year in the tank, Brown would be an immediate starter at LG, which would give him a year at a less-pressurised position in order to work on some of his weaknesses. That greatly reduces the bust potential, which usually occurs when a player is thrown in the deep end too early.

Also, there is absolutely no value at OT in the 2nd round, but great value at DE and FS. This is my best case scenario, as of now:

#8: Levi Brown
#39: Charles Johnson
#44: Brandon Meriweather (or even Griffin, if the safety tumble happens)

That fixes our three immediate needs, at LG, FS and DE, and provides us with the immensely valuable longterm starter at LT.

Peterson being available might change things, but I'm very much of the opinion that the O-line makes the RB, not the other way round.

iloxygenil
03-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I honestly believe that Brandon Frye from Va Tech is one of the best linemen in this draft and has gone unnoticed. He will start for this team at LT if he is drafted, even if it is in the 6th round.

D-Rod
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
At the louisville proday, Okoye ran a 4.85 at 305lbs. Interesting. He's really got to be up there with the #8 candidates...

iloxygenil
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Wow...those are some spectacular numbers for real...that's UT type numbers though =( not NT...

D-Rod
03-28-2007, 01:17 AM
that's not strictly true. yes, he's quick enough to play UT. but he also has the size and stoutness at the point to perform at NT in the 4-3. He'd just be a multi-dimensional NT. And a damn good one at that...

iloxygenil
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
He could bulk up, that would help a bit...but yeah he's going to be a great player.

Vickissick07
03-28-2007, 01:46 PM
He could bulk up, that would help a bit...but yeah he's going to be a great player.

People have to remember that he is 19 too. He isn't even fully grown yet. He could possibly get huge.

Shiver
03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
He played at 305-lbs, at Louisville, at 19-years old. I imagine his playing weight, in the NFL, will be between 305-310. Remember; all the scouting reports based off of his game-tape, suggested he was a ideal run stuffer. The 'UT' talk started up, only when he showed up at the Senior Bowl at 287-lbs, a sharp drop-off from where he played at Louisville at.

iloxygenil
03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I knew that...I know he's a physical player, obviously he's been playing since he was 16 against monsters in the middle. So, I'm not concerned that he can't be a phenom, I just hope that we make the right decision.

Shiver
04-04-2007, 12:21 PM
MLive (http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/04/answering_your_emails.html)

This guy is the premier source of information, regarding the Lions.

I think the Lions would prefer to move down no further than No. 6. The consensus is that there are six elite players in the draft and then, after that, it's a pool of really good players.

Shiver
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
With the Vikings now stacked at Safety, I think Landry is becoming close to a reality.

iloxygenil
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I have to agree. It would be wonderful to get CJ but it would cost us too much to get him. Here's to hoping Oaktown picks him up.

Shiver
04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Rich McKay said, during NFL:N's "Top 10 Draft Trades" about the Ricky Williams trade, that no player is worth that kind of trade up picks. 'No player can single handedly solve your problems.' If he sticks to that philosophy, that means no Calvin Johnson.

iloxygenil
04-05-2007, 04:26 PM
No it doesn't. They gave up their entire draft for Williams.

Shiver
04-05-2007, 04:43 PM

To get Calvin Johnson, it would take both of our 2nd round picks, and a future 1st. That would fly in the face of everything Rich McKay has stated, up to this point.

ksfalconsfan
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
As great as it would be to get Calvin Johnson, we have much bigger needs. We have to hope that Joe Horn can solve some WR problems and help Roddy White and Michael Jenkins step up.

Bosanac01
04-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Also we'll be getting (sure hands) Finneran back and we have ten picks could draft a guy in the middle rounds.

D-Rod
04-10-2007, 11:06 AM
To get Calvin Johnson, it would take both of our 2nd round picks, and a future 1st. That would fly in the face of everything Rich McKay has stated, up to this point.

Maybe, maybe not. There's an interesting projection in gbnreport that the trade to #2 would cost a 2nd and 4th this year, and a 2nd next year. That's basically #10 plus Schaub. It undervaluing the pick, but Detroit have made it so clear that they want to trade down (and #8 is perfect value for them), so it's possible.

At that cost, would you do it? I'm not sure i would, but it's a possibility.

We'd still have a pick in the first three rounds this year, plus two 4ths rounders.

We could get CJ, Griffin and Ramirez (as GBNreport speculates).
Or CJ (wr), CJ (de) and Ramirez (and give Crocker another chance at FS).

Big problem is, we have four major needs: OT/OG/FS/DE: and all of them should really be addressed on the first day. Without trading up, we can do all of them this year. (eh. Brown/Ramirez/Meriweather/CJ). With trading up, we have to wait til next year.

Looking at the long term health of the franchise, I MAY actually be willing to trade up.

If we do trade up, and our first 3 picks are CJ (wr), CJ (de), and Ramirez, then we'd leave Crocker at FS and Gandy at LT. Gandy isn't a solid option, but he isn't going to get Vick killed. Crocker has the physical tools to play FS, but kept biting on play action, and losing deep coverage. That's fixable with more exp at FS. Maybe it won't be fixed, but giving him another season would not be a disaster.

Then look at next year. OT is stacked. We could draft one in the first round to replace Gandy, and if Crocker still doesn't get the deep coverage we can draft a FS in the 2nd - where there is always value.

This is my point: we can get an elite playmaker (whom Vick needs!) this year, but leave some needs unfilled this year. But we could fill those needs next year. Fine, we'd have an imperfect team in 2007 (but not a bad one) - but the overall potential of our team would be MUCH higher by having CJ on the team. And let's face it, we're not unlikely to win the SB in 2007 with a team in transition.

It's very much a split decision, but if Detroit would accept a 2007 2nd and 4th and 2008 2nd, then it may be in the future interest of the team to grab CJ.

iloxygenil
04-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Yes, sign me up right now for that trade!

d34ng3l021
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I think you might be overdoing it Shiver. We arent going to be giving up our WHOLE draft for Calvin Johnson. We will still have our late day picks, and McKay always finds steals there.

Not to mention, we can still address some problems next year. We are a relatively young team with old starters that have back ups ready to relieve them. Giving up our first day for the best WR prospect ever, isnt as bad as you make it out to seem.

Sure it may be a bit inefficient, and we will still have some holes to fill, but you have to see at what price that would be coming at.

D-Rod
04-10-2007, 01:24 PM
as i said above, we may not need to give up our first day at all. we're exactly in the zone detroit wants to drop to, and they seem to be getting desperate. two 2nds (2007 and 2008) and a 4th (2007) might do it.

georgiafan
04-10-2007, 01:34 PM

They also gave up a 1st and 3rd the next year and only moved up from 12 to 5. They had no 2nd round that year

Shiver
04-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Jerious Norwood - #32 - Running back - 5'11" - 204lbs

News: Falcons head coach Bobby Petrino called Jerious Norwood "exciting when he gets the football" after the team's first minicamp, but reiterated that he intends to get bigger at the position before the season.

Impact: Norwood got the bulk of the work with Warrick Dunn nursing a bum shoulder. Atlanta is expected to draft its potential starting tailback. (Thu. Apr 12, 2007)

Adrian Peterson?

iloxygenil
04-13-2007, 05:12 PM
If AP is there at 8 then he's going to be our RB.

DraftMichaelHuff
04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Thought id throw Gaines Adams name into the ring. I think its at least concievable that he is there at #8, if he is where do you rekon he lies in terms of other players who are likley to be there?

How is he against the run?

1st Gaines Adams
2nd Brenan Merriweather
2nd Aaron Sears
3rd Manuel Remirez

hmmm, looks good. Whats the thought on Sears' shot at OT in our power blocking system, could he do it?

iloxygenil
04-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I can't say that I think Gaines Adams would be a great pick at #8. I just think he's a pass rush beast, but other than that he's not what we need, we need a Carriker type someone who holds up against the run and is decent against the pass, because with 2 pure pass rushers we'd be destroyed by the run, we're already losing big Grady.

D-Rod
04-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Quick comment on Sears. I'm not sure I'd want him at OT right now, but if he is there in the 2nd, we could use him thus:

Start at OG in his first year, or at least compete with Ton-of-Fun;
If he displays the quick feet to play at LT, he can replace Gandy in 2008;
If not, he can stay at OG, but maybe be an eventual replacement at RT in 2009 or 2010.

D-Rod
04-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure about Adams. I would have thought of him as being somewhat weak against the run, but actually there are plenty of excellent LDE's who weigh 260 (like Adams), so he could be a possibility. I really doubt he's there at 8, though.

Draft King
04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
My big board right now.

1. LaRon Landry
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Gaines Adams
4. Patrick Willis
5. Levi Brown
6. Trade Up for CJ
7. Jamaal Anderson

These are all realistic options really.

iloxygenil
04-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I'd have My Big Board like this prolly:
1.) Adrian Peterson
2.) LaRon Landry
3.) Trade up for CJ (offering 1 2nd rounder this year and next year's 2nd rounder)
4.) Trade Down

ATLDirtyBirds
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
1. Trade up for Calvin (at a non ridiculous price)
2. Adrian Peterson
3. LaRon Landry
4. Trade down target Michael Griffin

iloxygenil
04-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I could go for something similar to that ATL. I just don't want to ransom our draft to get CJ. As much as I think he'd change the face of this franchise

ATLDirtyBirds
04-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I could go for something similar to that ATL. I just don't want to ransom our draft to get CJ. As much as I think he'd change the face of this franchise

Exactly. As long as the price is justifiable, I think it's the move we need to make. I know we have more pressing needs, espically on defense, but if Mike Vick is the MVP because he constantly has Horn, CJ, and Crump on the field, in a weak NFC our defense could make it by.

Shiver
04-18-2007, 03:02 PM
In the forum mock, my first three picks;

Laron Landry
Arron Sears
Charles Johnson

Thoughts?

mahnee
04-18-2007, 03:37 PM
In the forum mock, my first three picks;

Laron Landry
Arron Sears
Charles Johnson

Thoughts?

I'm just not sold on Charles Johnson. I know there's a bunch of UGA fans that would love to keep him local, but at 6'2 and 270 lbs running a relatively slow 40, he's an awful lot like somebody else we know. Chauncey Davis. I feel the same about Tim Crowder. Although all of these guys' styles differ, I'd prefer someone with a bit more pass rushing ability

keylime_5
04-18-2007, 03:52 PM
hello falcons people. I am convinced that the first 7 picks of the first round in some order are gonna be Russell/Johnson/Peterson/Adams/Thomas/Landry/Quinn. Who would you guys take? I'm thinking either Okoye or Brown, and maybe Anderson.

If Petrino feels like Okoye can start next to Rod Coleman I know you'd guys would get him for sure. If not then I think it's Levi Brown.

Shiver
04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
A player I want, in that situation, is actually Patrick Willis. Bobby Petrino hinted that Brooking is the MLB, now, but that could change after the draft.

I think the odds are that it will be Amobi Okoye, in this hypothetical situation. Defensive Tackle is a need, because there is uncertainty with Jackson and Babineaux. Along with the obvious connection between Okoye and Petrino.

I don't think Levi Brown will be the pick. It doesn't make sense with Rich McKay's prior history. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

smittyjs
04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
what if Okoye is gone along with Landry, peterson, and Adams, who do you think the pick will be then?

Shiver
04-18-2007, 06:52 PM
what if Okoye is gone along with Landry, peterson, and Adams, who do you think the pick will be then?

I don't see how that is possible.

Johnson
Thomas
Russell
Quinn
Peterson
Landry
Adams
Okoye

We have the 8th pick. Unless, somehow Quinn fell to Miami. Even under the hypothetical situation; I would say Jamaal Anderson, probably. Maybe Patrick Willis. Maybe Levi Brown. Maybe trade down.

smittyjs
04-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't see how that is possible.

Johnson 2nd
Thomas 5th
Russell 1st
Quinn to the phins
Peterson 3rd
Landry 6th
Adams 7th
Okoye 4th

We have the 8th pick. Unless, somehow Quinn fell to Miami. Even under the hypothetical situation; I would say Jamaal Anderson, probably. Maybe Patrick Willis. Maybe Levi Brown. Maybe trade down.Quinn falls pass the Vikings.

D-Rod
04-19-2007, 03:28 AM
Simple answer: trade down. If Quinn were still available at #8, there would surely be some offers coming in to grab him ahead of the Dolphins. Carolina would probably be most keen, but we'd obviously tell them where to go. Jags would be the best option, at #17. Or we just bluff out the Dolphins on the trade, and possibly get them to give us an extra 3rd or 4th.

Otherwise, I'd take Levi Brown in a heartbeat over Jamaal Anderson. I love Anderson's potential, but there's plenty of bustability there too. Ask yourself this question: would you rather have Brown and Johnson/Crowder, or Anderson and er, well, maybe Ugoh?

bennybee38
04-20-2007, 11:58 AM
just wondering what y'all think...

1st - DE Adam Carriker
2nd - S Eric Weddle
3rd - OG Manuel Ramirez
4th - LB Zak DeOssie
4th - CB - DeAndre Jackson
5th - RB DeShawn Wyn
6th - OT Chase Johnson

D-Rod
04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Not bad, though I'm not sure that Carriker would be an option at #8 - perhaps after a trade down. I really like most of the other picks.

However, you have forgotten to include our extra 2nd, another 4th, and a comp 7th.

ksfalconsfan
04-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Would everyone be satisfied with this?

#8 - Alan Branch - we need a run stuffing d-tackle to pair with Rod Coleman, due to the lawsuit of Grady Jackson, and also both of them are aging. Branch also has amazing athleticism for a man his size. (6-6, 330 lbs) I read in a scouting report on him that one of his "weaknesses" is that when he is double -teamed he can forget about the ball carrier and focus on destroying the blockers. Now that's not a bad weakness to have for a DT.

#39 - Brandon Meriweather - 1st round talent, and need position for us. He comes from Miami, which is one school that always has players do well in the NFL. My only worry is his character, I hope the brawl was a one-time incident.

#44 - Justin Blaylock - A huge, powerful run blocker, he can knock people off the ball and will work perfectly in our power running scheme.

#75 - Josh Wilson - This CB out of Maryland has been clocked at 4.28 in the 40. That puts him as one of the fastest players in the league. He's also known as a tough guy with great intangibles, which, added with that blazing speed, make him someone I would love for the Falcons to get. He can surely beat out Jason Webster, and may be able to puch Jimmy Williams for the #2 CB job.

#109 - Lamarr Woodley - He does not have the great size and speed that you look for, but this guy was the most dominant player on the best defense in the nation last year. He won the Lombardi Award for best player on the d or o-line last season.

#133 - Michael Bush - I think that he may fall this far because of his knee, and everyone expects the Falcons to be the team that finally pulls the trigger. He was a Heisman candidate, has terrific speed and moves for his size and is said to have great intangibles. If his knee is okay, he could be the steal of the draft.

D-Rod
04-22-2007, 05:38 AM
I can't believe that Petrino would take Branch over Okoye, but I wouldn't be disappointed with Branch if the injury rumours turn out to be a big smokescreen.

Rest of the draft would be superb, but I feel like most of the picks there are somewhat ambitious.

D-Rod
04-22-2007, 05:43 AM
It seems like Arizona may be serious in their preference for Brown over Thomas. In that case, if Thomas is on the board at #5, they may be willing to trade down. The value difference is 300 points, which is roughly our 3rd and (first) 4th. I would do that in a trice to get a franchise LT.

Then we could draft thus:

#5: Joe Thomas
#39: Charles Johnson
#44: Eric Weddle

Rest of draft: interior O and D line, and power RB (hopefully Bush).

D-Rod
04-24-2007, 09:28 AM
If Peterson is there at #8, I'd really want to trade down.

This is why:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwbA4c2vdvg

Many of Norwood's best runs are straight through the tackles. He's far more than a scatback. Hopefully he's been bulking up over the offseason, especially those legs. He needs a power back to help him out, and keep him fresh, but not one at #8 overall.

Ciao Bella
04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Would everyone be satisfied with this?

#8 - Alan Branch - we need a run stuffing d-tackle to pair with Rod Coleman, due to the lawsuit of Grady Jackson, and also both of them are aging. Branch also has amazing athleticism for a man his size. (6-6, 330 lbs) I read in a scouting report on him that one of his "weaknesses" is that when he is double -teamed he can forget about the ball carrier and focus on destroying the blockers. Now that's not a bad weakness to have for a DT.

#39 - Brandon Meriweather - 1st round talent, and need position for us. He comes from Miami, which is one school that always has players do well in the NFL. My only worry is his character, I hope the brawl was a one-time incident.

#44 - Justin Blaylock - A huge, powerful run blocker, he can knock people off the ball and will work perfectly in our power running scheme.

#75 - Josh Wilson - This CB out of Maryland has been clocked at 4.28 in the 40. That puts him as one of the fastest players in the league. He's also known as a tough guy with great intangibles, which, added with that blazing speed, make him someone I would love for the Falcons to get. He can surely beat out Jason Webster, and may be able to puch Jimmy Williams for the #2 CB job.

#109 - Lamarr Woodley - He does not have the great size and speed that you look for, but this guy was the most dominant player on the best defense in the nation last year. He won the Lombardi Award for best player on the d or o-line last season.

#133 - Michael Bush - I think that he may fall this far because of his knee, and everyone expects the Falcons to be the team that finally pulls the trigger. He was a Heisman candidate, has terrific speed and moves for his size and is said to have great intangibles. If his knee is okay, he could be the steal of the draft.

Besides Josh Wilson and Alan Branch I like your draft.

ksfalconsfan
04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Maybe Alan Branch isn't worth that high of a pick, and also DT's turn into busts too often. If Adrian Peterson was still there at 8, we could take him and be set with a 2 back set with him and Jerious Norwood.
Or, we could trade the pick to someone in need of a running back (Texans or Bills maybe). We could still pick up Branch or Okoye, or even better - Patrick Willis. LB may not be our biggest need, but he is the rare prospect that had great production in college and has the measurables (4.37 forty) you look for