PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft Question

descendency
02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Let's say a player (like Jake Locker) decided to come out in the supplemental draft after they have read all of what the internet said about their decision. Would they likely command the same kind of contract that a top 5 pick would (if they are taken by a top 5 team)? How is that handled?

RealityCheck
02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I'd say the Supp. Draft grades follow the Normal Draft grades.

phlysac
02-06-2010, 08:54 PM
As far as I know, they can pay them whatever they want as long as it fits within the rookie pay scale rules of the NFL.

Brian Bosworth was the highest paid rookie in NFL History and he was a supplemental selection.

First Round picks being used on supplemental selections is historically very rare.

descendency
02-06-2010, 09:12 PM
First Round picks being used on supplemental selections is historically very rare.

So are strong armed, athletic QBs who have pro-style experience.

I'm basically wondering why someone doesn't advise Jake Locker to do it. Or why he isn't listening.

Shane P. Hallam
02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Maybe he wants to play in college one more year?

superman8456
02-06-2010, 09:17 PM

College ball isn't THAT great. I guess he has high hopes for Washington this season.

brasho
02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
The teams get a bonus rookie slotting amount based on that season's rookie allocation scale.

descendency
02-06-2010, 09:30 PM

I agree that there is something to being 20 something in college and one of the most popular people on campus, but a torn ACL or a bad year could cost you in upwards of 30 million.

I just have to wonder about a guy who would throw away 30 million for another year of that.

cvv84
02-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Well if you look at Jeremy Jarmon of the Redskins, who was a 3rd round supplemental pick last year, you'd see that he has the same contract value of the Redskins other 3rd round draft pick Kevin Barnes.

So I'd say that it basically follows the current slotting system for rounds 2-7 and if someone was taked in the 1st round supplemental draft I'd say that contract would fall in line with the other 1st round pick in the order that he was drafted. Meaning that if we selected by the Seahawks 6th in the supplemental draft, his contract would probably be identical to the 6th overall pick.

Shane P. Hallam
02-06-2010, 10:10 PM
College ball isn't THAT great. I guess he has high hopes for Washington this season.

None of us know that for sure. If the kid wants to stay in college and enjoy some of the best years of his life, good for him. He'll still be a high pick even with an injury.

BeerBaron
02-07-2010, 12:38 AM

None of us know that for sure. If the kid wants to stay in college and enjoy some of the best years of his life, good for him. He'll still be a high pick even with an injury.

You make valid points, though I must say that if someone were willing to pay me tens of millions of dollars to do something that was already doing for free (or for tuition...a few tens of thousands of dollars) I'd jump in heartbeat.

You could go into the NFL, bust real bad, and STILL be fairly well set for life...Evidence why change to the rookie pay is needed and why, as long as the current system stands, no probably first round pick should stay.

LickaMahfeetz
02-07-2010, 05:37 AM
Ask the Cowboys. They drafted Troy Aikman 1st overall and in the very same year used a 1st round pick on Steve Walsh from Miami in the supplemental draft. I know you can find out contract information on the internet but not sure it goes back that far.

FloridaFootball
02-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Jacke Locker would be dumb to not just play his senior season at this point lol.

Babylon
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree that there is something to being 20 something in college and one of the most popular people on campus, but a torn ACL or a bad year could cost you in upwards of 30 million.

I just have to wonder about a guy who would throw away 30 million for another year of that.

Didnt we have a multi page discussion on Locker's decision already. I thought both sides weighed in pretty well on that matter. Locker probably wakes up today and reads this and rethinks his decision, come on.

RealityCheck
02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Jacke Locker would be dumb to not just play his senior season at this point lol.
This.

Jake Locker is a huge fish in the smallish pond that is the Washington Huskies team.

SenorGato
02-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Too obvious. It's got to be something more...

cvv84
02-07-2010, 09:01 PM
You guys just completely ignored the question and went straight to "Locker entering the supplemental draft" talk.

descendency
02-08-2010, 01:13 AM
You guys just completely ignored the question and went straight to "Locker entering the supplemental draft" talk.

The third post on the topic answered the question. I was just wondering how viable it would be for the Rams to use a first round pick this year on a guy if he came out (Jake Locker for example). Would he get #1 overall money? etc.

Obviously a team in the top 5 can't invest a 1st in the supplemental draft because taking on 1 top 5 pick is rough but two back to back is almost unimaginable... (see the Rams).

LickaMahfeetz
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
The third post on the topic answered the question. I was just wondering how viable it would be for the Rams to use a first round pick this year on a guy if he came out (Jake Locker for example). Would he get #1 overall money? etc.

Obviously a team in the top 5 can't invest a 1st in the supplemental draft because taking on 1 top 5 pick is rough but two back to back is almost unimaginable... (see the Rams).
Well the Salary Cap was implemented in 1994, well after the Bos was drafted. That might have changed things a bit in terms of how it's done.

Addict
02-08-2010, 05:51 PM

maybe he loves being in college. Can't fault him for enjoying himself. Really the money can wait one lousy year.

wogitalia
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
maybe he loves being in college. Can't fault him for enjoying himself. Really the money can wait one lousy year.

Pretty much this, plus, Sam Bradford has pretty much shown that elite QB prospects will remain so regardless of injury. I mean what is worse than an injury to your throwing arm for a QB and this value has not fallen at all, hell it may be higher right now than it ever was.

descendency
02-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Pretty much this, plus, Sam Bradford has pretty much shown that elite QB prospects will remain so regardless of injury. I mean what is worse than an injury to your throwing arm for a QB and this value has not fallen at all, hell it may be higher right now than it ever was.

He would have been #1 overall in this ABYSMAL QB class, baring injury.

If this class had 1 good QB (or maybe 2 if you count Clausen), Bradford would struggle to make the first round. I still think he takes a fall no one is predicting (seemingly)

Well the Salary Cap was implemented in 1994, well after the Bos was drafted. That might have changed things a bit in terms of how it's done.

Good Point. I'd say there is a chance that it has changed. However, I think a person who gets a top 5 pick will get top 5 money. The question is would a team try to get two top 5 picks in 1 year...

brasho
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Ask the Cowboys. They drafted Troy Aikman 1st overall and in the very same year used a 1st round pick on Steve Walsh from Miami in the supplemental draft. I know you can find out contract information on the internet but not sure it goes back that far.

It didn't matter then, there was no Free Agency.

brasho
02-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Actually, my post was the 7th. The 3rd stated that he would get paid out the ying-yang because the Boz did which is wrong.

The NFL will only grant the drafting team as much rookie salary space as their slotting commands. Though a team may elect to give out more money, it would have to come at the expense of the other draft picks of the regular draft.