PDA

View Full Version : Mardy Gilyard and the Bengals

RealityCheck
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Alright, just stumbled upon this thought.

Is the hometown factor really big in the draft? I mean, the Bengals need a WR, and Gilyard would be perfect at #21, and word it's that they're interested in him. But is it a lock mostly because he played at Cincy or other factors?

I mean, the Titans were interested in Meachem at #19 back in 2007.

Bengals78
02-08-2010, 03:08 PM
When the player really wants to be there, yes. It can be a huge factor. Mardy has said himself he wants to be in Stripes and even joked about pulling an Eli to get traded to Cincy.

Link: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Senior-notes-Mardy-Gras-for-Bengals-Zimmers-hit-chord-/1c64e8a1-7d11-4e5e-bbbd-ecf3bf95ada5

twizbuck
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
It's not a lock, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals trade up to get him in the early 2nd much like the Browns and Brady Quinn, without the major fall down the board like Quinn took.

Unbiased
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
It depends on the GM. As a Jacksonville fan, I think it's completely stupid to take a guy because he went to school there (Gilyard and Meacham grew up out of Tennessee and Ohio). Case in point is obviously Reggie Nelson. Location should mean absolutely nothing to a GM. Take the best player regardless of where he went to school. But some GMs don't follow that philosophy.

CC.SD
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Hometown favoritism is overrated.

Besides didn't you hear? OchoUno is coming.

prock
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
even if they get the corpse of terrell owens, they still need receivers lol

RealityCheck
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Yeah, but both Ochocinco and TO are old... and imagine how sexy would be Gilyard in a #11 Bengals jersey?
Ochocinco, Ochouno and Unouno.

thenewfeature06
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
I dont really know if its a big factor but I would take Tate anyday over Gilyard anyway, it just depends on the GM I guess because there is GMs that seem to do this.

D-Unit
02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Is TO really going there or is that just a bad rumor?

Gilyard in Cincy makes sense. I don't think his college location factors into it that much. Maybe minor, but not enough to sway the decision.

ThePudge
02-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Not a guarantee. I don't think he provides a whole lot of value in the first and we already have a good young PR (Quan Cosby) and KR (Bernard Scott). Gilyard doesn't get his full value to Cincinnati, and he likely won't be available when they pick in the second. Hopefully we'll look to make a little move up to the 40-45 spot from 54. Jermaine Gresham, Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, ect... all would provide more value in the first.

RealityCheck
02-08-2010, 05:42 PM
It's a rumor, bad or not.

Bengals78
02-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Gilyard in Cincy makes sense. I don't think his college location factors into it that much. Maybe minor, but not enough to sway the decision.

Its Ocho getting a friends name back into the media seeing as he is a FA and no one talks about him right now

Clarkpba
02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I dont really know if its a big factor but I would take Tate anyday over Gilyard anyway, it just depends on the GM I guess because there is GMs that seem to do this.

You can have Tate if youd like. I'll take Gilyard over Tate myself. While I dont think either one is worth a first round pick Gilyard has alot more desire and talent that will translate to the NFL better then Tate.

tjsunstein
02-08-2010, 07:20 PM
It depends on the GM. As a Jacksonville fan, I think it's completely stupid to take a guy because he went to school there (Gilyard and Meacham grew up out of Tennessee and Ohio). Case in point is obviously Reggie Nelson. Location should mean absolutely nothing to a GM. Take the best player regardless of where he went to school. But some GMs don't follow that philosophy.

It's gonna be hilarious when Jacksonville takes Tebow.

AntoinCD
02-09-2010, 03:08 AM
I don't think the home town thing comes into it unless it's a big name and it's a close decision. If the Bengals at 21 have the choice between Gilyard or Arrelious Benn then sorry Mardy pack your bags your moving home

HawkeyeFan
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Nice! Haha.

I think Gilyard would make a good fit in Cincinnati. They desperately need a playmaker and some speed in that WR core. Gilyard would definitely provide that.

That being said, it'd be a major reach where they're at in the draft.

RealityCheck
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
That being said, it'd be a major reach where they're at in the draft.
Not at all, #21 is the perfect spot for Gilyard imo.

Pat Sims 90
02-09-2010, 05:31 PM

What is with all this GM talk. Mike Brown is the Czar of the Bengals. He controls ever postion in the front office. His daughter has little control but when it comes down to it Mike Brown makes all the decisons

ThePudge
02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Not at all, #21 is the perfect spot for Gilyard imo.

Have you given any thought to the Bengals side of this? I know people see Gilyard, the local hero, and Cincinnati's need for a WR, and they connect the two as a perfect fit. Personally, I have Gilyard #43 on my board and that's with his return value factored in.

The Bengals have no need for his return value with a very young situation at both Kick Returner (Bernard Scott) and Punt Returner (Quan Cosby). The situation at WR, with Andre Caldwell, Chad, and Laverneus Coles is in dire need of a big target and a vertical threat. People don't realize how big a part of the Bengals' offense Chris Henry was.

Gilyard is smooth, he's precise, he's pretty quick, has terrific hand-eye coordination, and is typically sure-handed. Still I don't know if he's a guy that comfortably goes over the middle at 5'11 5/8 179, and I don't consider his speed elite, though it should be fine for the next level. His upside is similar to that of Santonio Holmes/Chad Ochocinco I think. I just don't know what Gilyard does that will give the Bengals anything different. I think a big WR such as Benn, LaFell, or Demaryius Thomas is the superior fit. I'd trade next years first to get Dez Bryant. Dezmon Briscoe (2nd-3rd) or Carlton Mitchell (4th-5th) are two of the later options that seem to fit.

I would welcome Mardy with open arms in Cincinnati, but I think they will (and should) go another way with their first round pick.