PDA

View Full Version : Is Bryan Bulaga a LT? When Is he considered a reach?

essential
02-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Two basic questions really:

1) Is Bryan Bulaga a LT in the NFL? There seem to be differing opinions, with many thinking he is going to be a RT, and others thinking he can play LT, but just observations I have made in other threads.

2) How high can he go before he is considered a reach? For example, if the Bills take him at # 9, is that a reach? Is his value a 15-25 guy, or does he have top-10 elite talent?

AntoinCD
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I definitely think he can be a LT in the NFL. May never get to the Joe Thomas type level but could definitely be an above starter there. I also think he could definitely go top 10 without it being a reach. Top 5-7 would start to be a reach though

DiG
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
for me it depends on the system as to whether he should play LT or RT. in a zbs he can easily be a successful lt. hes got the right combo of size and quickness. In an MBS I think he is a premiere RT prospect although he could play LT as well.

batsandgats
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Yes he is a definite LT in the NFL, what reason would he have to move to RT? He is perfectly suited for the left side. Top 10 pick easily. I think he would be best suited for LT regardless of the scheme.

yourfavestoner
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
This reminds me of when people were questioning if Jake Long was a LT or should make the move to RT because "his feet weren't quick enough."

Babylon
02-12-2010, 01:09 PM
This reminds me of when people were questioning if Jake Long was a LT or should make the move to RT because "his feet weren't quick enough."

He reminds me of Long in the sense he's a better athlete than some might think, pretty good pass protector and really good run blocker.

As for where he should go i think #6 to Seattle would be the highest and might be a bit of a stretch there but they would probably run the risk of not getting him at #14. In their zone blocking scheme they are running there he would seem like a great fit. Would need a clean bill of health to seal it i would think.

eagles6606
02-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Two basic questions really:

1) Is Bryan Bulaga a LT in the NFL? There seem to be differing opinions, with many thinking he is going to be a RT, and others thinking he can play LT, but just observations I have made in other threads.

2) How high can he go before he is considered a reach? For example, if the Bills take him at # 9, is that a reach? Is his value a 15-25 guy, or does he have top-10 elite talent?

1. Personally, I think Bulaga's best fit is at right tackle because he is a mauler in the run game. While he does need to work on some of his mechanics, he can definately play LT in the NFL>
2. In my opinion Bulaga's value is at 12-18. Saying that, picking him at 9 is not a huge reach. Especially because the Bills desperately need help at tackle.

Grizzlegom
02-12-2010, 01:20 PM
1. Bulaga is definitely a LT in the NFL. He could play either side but i think his most natural fit is at LT in a ZBS.

2. I think his value is in the teens low teens but i wouldn't consider it a reach if buffalo took his as i think he is right in the mix for the number two tackle.

HawkeyeFan
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
He can play LT inthe NFL definitely. As I have said though, he should have stayed another year, he under performed.

A reach would be Top 17 for me.

Babylon
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
He can play LT inthe NFL definitely. As I have said though, he should have stayed another year, he under performed.

A reach would be Top 17 for me.

It's kind of nice to see fans not go homer pick on their own players, i think a little strange because most scouts are higher on this guy than you but refreshing none the less.

TACKLE
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Brian Bulaga is the most athletic offensive lineman in this draft. He should have no problem playing LT in the NFL. Personally, I like him a lot more than others on here do. He has a great frame, great feet and is probably gets the best drive in the run game out of any of the OT's and maybe out of any O-Lineman in this class.

He did have his struggles this year and had a much better season as a sophomore. But he was dealing with a thyroid issue that held him out for three games. You could tell, he wasn't quite the same player in the first few games he came back from it. In two of the next three games he went against Graham and Schofield and did not look good at all. But looked like his regular self towards the end of the season shutting down some very good pass rushers. He does have some technical issues that need to be worked out. He needs to use his hands better in pass pro. There is speculation that he has short arms but he still needs to get a better punch. Because he sometimes lets defenders into his body he struggles to anchor and gives up to much ground.

With all that being said, I am still high on Bulaga. He has shown that he can be the most dominant OT in this draft. He is very athletic, very strong and finishes his blocks. I believe Bulaga struggles were more of the exception than the rule. I see a lot of Michael Roos in Bulaga. He'll need to play more consistently but I would be willing to spend a top 10 pick on him. With that being said, he'll probably go in the 13-23 range but does have a chance to go higher.

Foosballphan
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Brian Bulaga is the most athletic offensive lineman in this draft. He should have no problem playing LT in the NFL. Personally, I like him a lot more than others on here do. He has a great frame, great feet and is probably gets the best drive in the run game out of any of the OT's and maybe out of any O-Lineman in this class.

He did have his struggles this year and had a much better season as a RS Soph. But he was dealing with a thyroid issue that held him out for three games. You could tell, he wasn't quite the same player in the first few games he came back from it. In two of the next three games he went against Graham and Schofield and did not look good at all. But looked like his regular self towards the end of the season shutting down some very good pass rushers. He does have some technical issues that need to be worked out. He needs to use his hands better in pass pro. There is speculation that he has short arms but he still needs to get a better punch. Because he sometimes lets defenders into his body he struggles to anchor and gives up to much ground.

With all that being said, I am still high on Bulaga. He has shown that he can be the most dominant OT in this draft. He is very athletic, very strong and finishes his blocks. I believe Bulaga struggles were more of the exception than the rule. I see a lot of Michael Roos in Bulaga. He'll need to play more consistently but I would be willing to spend a top 10 pick on him. With that being said, he'll probably go in the 13-23 range but does have a chance to go higher.

I like your assement of Bulaga (I think he was better last year too). A small correction, Bulaga is/was a true Junior, he turns 21 this March.
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bulaga_bryan00.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=236525

BigBanger
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
If I run a traditional zone blocking system like a Mike Shanahan system, then Okung is probably my guy. The elite athleticism is there for Okung. If I have a man/power system (Bills, Dolphins, Steelers, Cowboys) and need my tackles to drive defenders off the ball, then Bulaga is my guy.

From the games I saw, he struggled against Graham and a lot had to do with him overextending, getting off balance and dropping his head. Basically, Graham just swatted his arms every which way and Bulaga couldn't get his hands on him. Hand work/placement need the most work and staying back in his stance instead of reaching. I think his athleticism is overrated and his foot quickness is nothing elite. Still, I think he can play LT. He has a more than adequate kick step.

Preston
02-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I've been high on Bulaga throughout the entire process. The highest he can go would be 5 to the Chiefs if Okung is gone, and that would be a reach. 9 to the Bills seems to be the most likely spot in the top 10 for him, although he could very well end up at 13 to the 49ers or 14 to the Hawks.

twizbuck
02-12-2010, 10:28 PM
If I run a traditional zone blocking system like a Mike Shanahan system, then Okung is probably my guy. The elite athleticism is there for Okung. If I have a man/power system (Bills, Dolphins, Steelers, Cowboys) and need my tackles to drive defenders off the ball, then Bulaga is my guy.

From the games I saw, he struggled against Graham and a lot had to do with him overextending, getting off balance and dropping his head. Basically, Graham just swatted his arms every which way and Bulaga couldn't get his hands on him. Hand work/placement need the most work and staying back in his stance instead of reaching. I think his athleticism is overrated and his foot quickness is nothing elite. Still, I think he can play LT. He has a more than adequate kick step.

He did struggle with Graham, but he had his way with Morgan. He'll be a solid LT imo.

HawkeyeFan
02-13-2010, 10:15 PM
It's kind of nice to see fans not go homer pick on their own players, i think a little strange because most scouts are higher on this guy than you but refreshing none the less.
I'm just calling it how it is. I've been down on him all year, he got beat badly quite a few times. He started to do better later in the season. But not Top 15 good.