PDA

View Full Version : Help A Complete Computer Noob

CashmoneyDrew
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
So, up until about last week my computer of 3.5 years has always run well and been virus free. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but last week I installed skype and ever since then my computer has been lagging and freezing up on me whether or not I'm on the Internet.

I tried installing avasts free virus junk but it hasn't really helped. Any knowledge/advice would be greatly appreciated.

DoughBoy
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
GET A NEW ONE!!!!!!! J/K, I know 95% of our kind are broke/homeless.

CJSchneider
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Try down loading COMODO Firewall software, that is what I use and it does a great job.

Shane P. Hallam
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Uninstall skype, maybe check what programs are running. Perhaps you have a program that is running and you don't even know it, eating a chunk of your memory.

brat316
02-12-2010, 08:47 PM
yeah something is probably eating up a good chunk of your ram up.

Run disk clean up, and then disk defragment, also try turning your settings into like windows classic the gray and blue, eats up a lot less ram. If that fails use General Clean Tool, just google it.

And if that doesn't work maybe you have a trojan, in that case you need rkill and malware bytes.

And if that doesn't work either...install more ram?

CashmoneyDrew
02-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks guys, turns out I had some programs running that I didn't even know about that were using up my memory. I wouldn't have even known if the little bubble hadn't popped up in the bottom right corner. Took it long enough to tell me though considering I've had this problem for about a week. lol

vikes_28
02-13-2010, 01:52 AM
I'd also try using AVG antivirus free, It's way better than avast.

CJSchneider
02-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Sophos is even better if you can get it. AVG is good, but school districts are moving away from it because it lets so much stuff through.

j05son
02-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I know the problem is solved, but if you're seriously worried about viruses/malware and such, run mozilla firefox with the addon - noscript.

nod32 is the top of the line in anti virus but it's pricey (if only there was a way around that ^_-)

Dump avast. I would second AVG (I just put it on my mom's new laptop). I never tried Sophos so I'll remain impartial to it.

CJSchneider
02-13-2010, 04:37 PM
My school district just switched to it. I've been impressed.