PDA

View Full Version : Greg Hardy?

cajuncorey
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
It seems not all to long ago greg hardy was considered a first round pick... hes everything u need in one hes got the size (6'5 265-275ish) and speed runs about 4.65. Now it seems hardy has fallen off of the face of the earth and is getting 3rd,4th and 5th round grades. can someone elaborate on what happened? is it strictly injury concerns, lack of production or are there problems with character?

frubulubu
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Its a combination of all these things. His production did not go up this year, and that also hurt his stock. He needs a solid combine to get him at the 2nd-3rd.

ElectricEye
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
It's not a lack of production. When he's on the field, he's one of the best defensive ends in the country. It's that he has an increasingly hard time of staying on the field that's the problem. He's still recovering from season ending wrist stuff and had a bad ankle that never really healed well from last year. There's a bit of a mixed bag as far as his character goes. Scott stepped away very impressed with him after his interview and if you read it he really comes across extremely well. There are rumblings that he isn't a high character guy around too though. Doesn't seem to really be a crime type thing, just more of a work ethic/entitlement thing more so...but it's never really elaborated on. Seems like a smart kid from what I've seen of him/heard.

Thumper
02-12-2010, 11:00 PM
He had an awful week at the East-West Shrine Game where he struggled beating tightends according to one website and he showed up about 285 pounds which might be a problem, toss in character concerns (word is that Ole Miss isn't doing him any favors in interviews with scouts), injury concerns and work ethic concerns. He has slid and he will be a day 3 pick this year after entering the season as the premier DE in the draft.

SenorGato
02-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Injuries....otherwise he's a top 10 prospect and the best DE in this class.

He's the one DE/OLB prospect I'd love to take at 29. It's too much of a steal...like Kiwi to the Giants. Don't think he plummets all that far on draft day if he has a good combine.

adamprez2003
02-13-2010, 04:25 AM
I will go on record saying the guy is the best 3-4 SOLB prospect in the country. Whoever gets him gets a steal. This is a guy I would seriously consider in the first round and certainly wouldnt let get by in the 2nd.

BaLLiN
02-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Kiwi never had the character/injury/production concerns that Hardy has, that is why Hardy is a 3rd rounder IMO

ElectricEye
02-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I will go on record saying the guy is the best 3-4 SOLB prospect in the country. Whoever gets him gets a steal. This is a guy I would seriously consider in the first round and certainly wouldnt let get by in the 2nd.

He's up to near 280 pound now, and it's not bad weight. Don't think that lends itself well to being a 3-4 OLB at all. Pure 4-3 DE IMO.

Don Vito
02-13-2010, 01:53 PM
There are no concerns about his production, don't make any mistake about that. Whenever he played healthy he was a game changer. He does have an ego and that kind of got to the coaching staff, but I wouldn't really say he has character concerns. He is a freakish talent and an impact player, he just needs to stay healthy. If he can do that he has the ability to play end in a 4-3 or LB in a 3-4.

MikeTeel
02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I'd love for the Seahawks to take a shot on him in round 2 if he's there, if he can put it all together and get his injuries behind him then he would be a steal.

adamprez2003
02-13-2010, 02:16 PM
He's up to near 280 pound now, and it's not bad weight. Don't think that lends itself well to being a 3-4 OLB at all. Pure 4-3 DE IMO. didnt know that. if he's that heavy and cant slim down to 265 then you're right, he's a 4-3 de. if he can play at 265 he will be an awesome 3-4 SOLB

SenorGato
02-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Kiwi never had the character/injury/production concerns that Hardy has, that is why Hardy is a 3rd rounder IMO

I don't even know about these character concerns for Hardy, and I've followed him as a player for 3+ years now. Like with many players, they're overblown because players need a weakness.

The injuries are legit...No clue what's wrong with his production...in the little time he saw the field this year he was leading Ole Miss (a very good SEC D) with sacks...plus he deflected 3 passes.

Hardy going in the 3rd would be as epic a steal as Tuck falling to the 3rd in '05. Remember people had Tuck going to the Pats in Round 1 that year...

He's a high end athlete with excellent, well rounded football skills...One of the few high end players in this draft who offers more than his physical upside, as anyone and everyone who's seen him raves about his play. Even at about 80% when he was on the field this year he was still good...

cajuncorey
02-13-2010, 02:53 PM
yeah i agree hes gonna be a huge steal for anyone that gets him

Monomach
02-14-2010, 01:11 AM
If he falls to the Bears first pick (fat chance), I'll splooge my pants.

He's a stud. He'd be an incredible LE.

Rosebud
02-14-2010, 01:40 AM
If we trade Osi I want us to use our 2 third rounders to trade up into the second for Hardy, who I do think will fall just outside of the top 40 not because of his merits but just because he'll give too many GMs bad vibes.

frubulubu
02-14-2010, 08:25 AM
If the Lions make a move for him, in the second round, that will instantly make the D line better. Suh/McCoy + Hardy. They need all the help they could use on the D.

Nard_Dog
02-14-2010, 11:12 AM
He's very talented on the field. But he does have injury concerns. Plus he put on a lot of weight, now teams may question his work ethic. Can he stay in shape once he gets a NFL contract? Or will he just continue to balloon. However I do believe he is worth the risk in the 3rd. Plus I doubt he can switch to a 3-4 rush linebacker as well.

Don Vito
02-14-2010, 12:14 PM
He's very talented on the field. But he does have injury concerns. Plus he put on a lot of weight, now teams may question his work ethic. Can he stay in shape once he gets a NFL contract? Or will he just continue to balloon. However I do believe he is worth the risk in the 3rd. Plus I doubt he can switch to a 3-4 rush linebacker as well.

He didn't put on any bad weight from what I hear.

ElectricEye
02-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, scouts said he carried it well. Wasn't like he sat around getting fat. Getting up in weight was one of his major goals, said as much himself in his NFLDC interview.

Babylon
02-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I'd love for the Seahawks to take a shot on him in round 2 if he's there, if he can put it all together and get his injuries behind him then he would be a steal.

If they had a 3rd i'd be all for Seattle taking him but they already have Lawrence Jackson who they've invested a lot in so i dont see it. In the second i have them taking Toby Gerhart to be the workhorse back Pete has indicated he needs.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I think his added weight just solidified him as a 43 end. His inconsistency at the Shrine game is a bit worrisome, but that could be him unused to the extra weight and he might still be coping with the injuries of the season.

There was a time I thought Hardy was the best defensive end in the nation. As it stands, I haven't really moved him down a whole lot. There are guys who are as talented and certainly have less question marks, but Hardy could wind up being a spectacular value. That said, I think he should have a strong combine and should interview okay. I think the top of the 2nd round is well within his reach.

adamprez2003
02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I think his added weight just solidified him as a 43 end. His inconsistency at the Shrine game is a bit worrisome, but that could be him unused to the extra weight and he might still be coping with the injuries of the season.

There was a time I thought Hardy was the best defensive end in the nation. As it stands, I haven't really moved him down a whole lot. There are guys who are as talented and certainly have less question marks, but Hardy could wind up being a spectacular value. That said, I think he should have a strong combine and should interview okay. I think the top of the 2nd round is well within his reach. thats where i see him, top of the 2nd. However, since GMs run their drafts differently than the rest of us, if a team falls in love with his potential, feels he fits perfectly for their scheme and isnt concerned his injuries or character I could see him being a first rounder. If someone is sold on him then a pass rushing DE/OLB is far more valuable than a CB, TE, RB, WR, OG, C, MLB

MikeTeel
02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
If they had a 3rd i'd be all for Seattle taking him but they already have Lawrence Jackson who they've invested a lot in so i dont see it. In the second i have them taking Toby Gerhart to be the workhorse back Pete has indicated he needs.

I disagree that having L-Jax means we don't need a DE. L-Jax has started both seasons off strong but ends up disapearing by the end. At this point, he is no reason to not draft a DE. Tapp is great at putting up pressure as well, and they are two quality DEs, but beyond them we have very little. I can almost garuntee that Kerney will be cut, and even if he isn't he is definately slowing down and on the downside of his career. Beyond those three, what do they have? Redding, who is a free agent and should probably be moved inside, and Reed who is a situational pass rusher type. Then Ricky Foley who we just signed. None of these guys are number one DEs, and Hardy has that potential. Tapp and Jackson need some help on the other side in order to be their most effective.

Big_Pete
02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Hardy needs good workouts; the biggest factor will be how he checks out medically.

I think he will have a tough time going in the first round, there is just too much quality D-line talent this year.

I could see a team like the Giants (for example) picking him in the 2nd round.

Caddy
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
If he checks out medically at the combine I would love to have him as a Buccaneer. He could probably play either RE or LE in our system which is a nice luxury.

He'd need to put up decent number at the combine but I think he can do it.