PDA

View Full Version : DUnit + D30, Take 2, 3 Rounds

DiG
02-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Three full rounds with explanations for each pick. We threw in a couple trades for the fun of it. D Unit did the odds and I did the evens. We always appreciate when people take the time to read the whole thing and not just their teams picks. Enjoy!

ROUND 1

1. St. Louis Rams - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
Suh is the best DT prospect since Russell Maryland went #1. All the Cowboys did was win 3 Super Bowls with Russell in the middle of their defensive front. The Rams have a long ways to go, but their defensive talent has been upgraded a lot after picking up Chris Long and James Laurinaitis last year, and Defense wins Championships.

2. Detroit Lions - DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma
As much as the Lions would love for the Rams to draft a qb and land Suh at #2, you won’t see them complaining about drafting McCoy here either. McCoy has a tremendous blend of power and quickness which is evident in his ability to penetrate in pass rush. He is also stout in run support and should have an immediate impact on a defensive line that has had tremendous struggles in recent years.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - S Eric Berry, Tennessee
No explanation needed. It's Suh, Berry, McCoy for the Bucs, depending on who's available. I think Berry is a great player, but Ronnie Lott/Sean Taylor might be the only safeties in NFL history worth taking this high and they were drafted 8th and 5th respectively. This is extremely high for taking a safety in a deep Safety draft. They might regret this one by passing up on some of the other talent.

4. Washington Redskins - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Big Ben, M. Ryan, J. Flacco, M. Sanchez - all QBs that were drafted into offenses with established offensive lines with surrounding contributors. D. Carr, J. Russell, B. Quinn – all QBs drafted into situations without the pieces around them needed to succeed. The Redskins are in a state that does not have the proper environment set for a young quarterback to develop and be successful. Okung is not necessarily flashy but he has proven to be a consistent reliable anchor throughout his career. His pass protection is phenomenal. He plays with a dominant mauler attitude and has underrated footwork.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - LB Rolando McClain, Alabama
Romeo Crennel has openly publicized how he likes to build his defenses from the inside-out. With that in mind, the Chiefs have a realistic shot at selecting McClain with the 5th overall pick. Polian proved that he values ILBs when he selected Jarrod Mayo, and they will be in position to fill other needs on the OL and WR later in the draft.

6. Seattle Seahawks - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Pete Carroll has never put a premium on strong armed quarterbacks. The quarterbacks that have been most successful in his offense are known more for accuracy and a quick release. All signs indicate that Bradfords injury is a non-issue and his game is best suited for the Seahawks offensive philosophies. The Seahawks are fortunate to be in a situation where they can sit Bradford for a couple years behind Hassleback in order to groom him for the future and they have a lot of draft picks to help build the surrounding components.

7. Cleveland Browns - OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
While I think Anthony Davis is the better talent, I think his poor attitude reputation could scare a guy like Holmgren. Additionally, the Browns already have Joe Thomas at LT, so projecting Bulaga as a RT is a better option because of his mauling style. I think Brady Quinn will be given another shot before this team drafts another signal caller. Getting him protection is the only way to find out what he's capable of. Fact is, he got raped every time he dropped back last year... even with Thomas protecting his blind side.

8. Oakland Raiders - OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers
I think guys like Derrick Morgan and Joe Haden may garner consideration with this pick but the defensive line needs really stem from the inside and with 3 years still left on Asos contract I can’t see the Raiders spending a draft pick this high on another corner. Davis’ attitude will bring up some red flags but he has all the talent to be a top 10 pick and should move up boards in April if he can interview well and put together some strong workouts. His footwork is inconsistent and will need some coaching but his size and strength often makes up for it.

9. Buffalo Bills - QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
The Bills have been handicapped by the QB position since what's his name has been there. Oh yeah, Jim Kelly. So with Clausen sitting there with the 9th pick, the Bills will give it another shot with the Golden Boy, Jimmy C. Personally, I think Clausen is the best QB in this draft and I think he'll fair well in their harsh climate conditions as he proved it was no problem for him in South Bend.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
I’ll be honest. I really like Derrick Morgan. He’s got prototypical size, strength, and quickness as a 4-3 DE. He wasn’t getting a lot of the recognition he deserves until more recently but I think he is starting to fall into the right value area. His upside is tremendous and when coaches watch the tape they will see just how dominant Morgan was throughout this past year. The Jaguars desperately need a player like Morgan who can get into the backfield and disrupt the passer.

11. Denver Broncos - CB Joe Haden, Florida
The Broncos have a big need to fill at CB and Haden is universally thought of as the best CB in this deep class of corners. This is the best bang for thier buck and while they might be tempted to take a guy like Iupati, I don't think an OG will warrant this high of a selection.

12. Miami Dolphins - OLB Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida
There are several directions that the Dolphins could take with this pick, including NT, WR, and OLB but history has shown us that Parcells loves to draft OLBs early in the draft when he has a need. Pierre Paul is a player that only recently came on the scene but is expected to put on quite a performance at the combine. If he disappoints then I could see this pick being Sergio Kindle, given his experience, but ultimately I think that Pierre Paul has the athleticism and intangibles to be a premiere 3-4 OLB at the next level.

13. San Francisco 49ers - OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
I think the draftnik community is sleeping on how good this guy really is. He has been one of the best, if not the best playmakers on the field regardless of who Texas has played. His effort in the Championship game capped off a great career and he will go to a team in desperate need for a legitimate and consistent threat from the edges. I expect a great combine from this kid.

14. Seattle Seahawks - WR Dez Brant, Oklahoma State
The Seahawks may not expect Bryant to be available with their second first round pick and for all intensive purposes are probably targeting OL with this selection after selecting Bradford earlier. With that said the Seahawks need to surround Bradford with playmakers as well and would be fortunate to land a guy with top ten talent here. They can’t and they won’t ignore the line completely so expect the best available offensive lineman in the second round.

15. New York Giants - S Earl Thomas, Texas
The Giants had huge problems stopping the big play last year because they had no safety net once Kenny Phillips went down. Thomas will go a long ways towards addressing that concern. If Phillips comes back healthy (a huge worry in and of itself), then the duo should form a formidable defensive wall.

16. Tennessee Titans - DE Brandon Graham, Michigan
Graham sure was tasty this past week at the senior bowl. He consistently dominated throughout practices and carried his performance into the game with 2 sacks and a force fumble. Coaches are going to be salivating over his stock leading up to the draft. I think Graham could fit into a 3-4 defense but I think he has higher draft value in a 4-3 with his hand on the ground where he has experience and success. He should be an immediate upgrade and allow the Titans to slide Jones inside where he is better suited.

17. San Francisco 49ers - CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
Wilson proved at the Senior Bowl that he was the Top Senior Cornerback in the draft. His fluid hips, quick recognition and strong hands were on full display as he dropped jaws all week long. Most people on this site probably think I'm nuts for putting Wilson this high, but if I know Mike Singletary, I know he doesn't like to be wrong. Wilson may be the safest DB pick in the draft.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - LB Sean Weatherspoon, Mizzo
Weatherspoon is often viewed as a 4-3 weakside linebacker but he has all the skill sets to play ILB in a 3-4 zone style defense similar to the Steelers. Weatherspoon played inside and outside in college and does a good job of reading quarterbacks, covers ground very quickly, takes the right angles, and plays with a relentless motor. At 6’2, 240 lbs, he has the frame to add weight if necessary and will prove one of the stronger linebackers in this draft class. His build is similar to James Farrior already and if the Steelers want to continue their legacy as a dominating defense they will need to find a suitable replacement for when Farrior soon retires.

19. Atlanta Falcons - RB CJ Spiller, Illinois
Before you Falcons fans get mad, try to remember how banged up your RB stable crippled your entire team last year. A dynamic charger like Spiller here is a nice way to add potency to the offense, and if I'm not mistaken Jerious Norwood is a FA.

20. Houston Texans - S Taylor Mays, USC
The Texans have tried several options at safety in the past few years and have been relatively unsuccessful in finding a playmaker. May’s is the most overanalyzed player in the draftnik community. Bottom-line, he is without a doubt one of the top athletes in the draft. He has elite sideline to sideline range and excellent closing speed. He has a positive attitude and has been said to take well to coaching and criticism which will be essential in his development but his upside is unlimited.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
The Bengals showed they can hang with the big boys in 2009, but ultimately crumbled in the end. The running game was a big part of their success behind the legs of a rejuvenated Cedric Benson. Picking Iupati here is a huge boost to that effort and will help them continue to match the smash mouth type football in their rugged division.

22. New England Patriots - DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap, Florida
In the 3-4 defense, Dunlap’s size/speed/athleticism combo reminds me a lot of the 3-4 elephant role (think Willie McGinist). Dunlap has been heralded as your typical boom or bust prospect. Remember, there is a big difference in taking a risk in the top 5 or 10 than taking a risk in the 20s and Dunlap has top 10 talent. Off the field issues will also be a concern with some teams but recall Meriweather was drafted in the first round by BB a few years back and has had no issues since. Dunlap does not have a recurrent history of problems and if it checks out as an isolated incident I don’t think it will be much of an issue at all.

23. Green Bay Packers - OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma
The Packers will have to address their OL this year and Williams has good value here. I don't consider himi a Top 20 prospect, but at 23, I'm ok with that. He can play RT or OG in the NFL and LT is not completely out of the question with good coaching. Compared to Bruce Campbell, Williams is a safer pick.

24. Philadelphia Eagles - CB Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State
The Eagles could look to address several positions of need with this draft spot but in many cases the value isn’t there. Where CB may not be the biggest need, they do need to add youth to the position and will likely lose Ellis Hobbs in free agency. Cox is an impressive press cover corner and has been on a steady rise up draft boards. He is a strong physical tackler with impressive open field coverage. His versatility as one of the best returners in this draft class will also help his stock. Also, don’t be surprised if the Eagles trade up into the mid teens to snag a guy like Graham or Thomas.

25. Baltimore Ravens - TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
The Ravens are in a position to take the risk on Gresham. Their need for a boost in the passing game is dire. Gresham would've gone much higher than this had he not sustained injury. With luck, they could really hit big. Todd Heap has become a below average player. Flacco needs weapons in the passing game and it's questionable whether there are any WRs available that could provide anything different to what they already have on their team.

26. Arizona Cardinals - NT Dan Williams, Tennessee
The Cardinals are getting great value here with Dan Williams. Jeremy Bridges has been unreliable and Levi Brown has been slow to develop, so OT will garner significant consideration, but I think the value on Williams will be too hard to pass up. Bryan Robinson will be 36 in 2010 and is set to become a FA and Gabe Watson, a RFA, fits more as a situational player. If the Cardinals can lock up Dansby and bring in big Dan Williams, the inside of their defense will be solidified for the future.

27. Dallas Cowboys - WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame
The writing is on the wall for Roy Williams. All of his guaranteed money will have been paid after next season is complete. Which means he becomes VERY cuttable. The Cowboys are focused on giving Miles Austin a big contract, but they will not be able to afford spending big money on both WR positions for very long. One of them will have to go and it will likely be Roy. Tate will be given a year to adjust to the NFL until his number will be called on a more consistent basis. His skillset is exactly what Dallas needs.

28. San Diego Chargers - RB Ryan Matthews, Fresno State
Unfortunately, I think LT has seen his last days in a Chargers uniform. Matthews doesn’t get a lot of hype but I feel that eventually he could realistically challenge Spiller as the first RB selected in this draft. Matthews consistently performed best in his biggest games, most notably with 234 yards, 3 td, and 12 YPC against Boise State. He is a perfect complement to Sproles with his ability to break tackles and push the pile for extra yardage. Considering his size, he uses his legs to create balance and has surprising quickness and change of direction. He should significantly outrun all the “bigger” backs at the combine including Dwyer, Dixon, and Blount.

29. New York Jets - DT Jared Odrick, Penn St
The Jets Defense was a rock for them last year, but even they could use an upgrade at the 5 technique. Odrick had a great showing at the Senior Bowl and I'm sure the Jets brass took notice of his motor, tenacity and ability to consistently make plays. He provides them a great value here and beefing up the D is a great way to sustain their success.

30. Minnesota Vikings - CB Patrick Donovan Warren, Michigan
A cornerback?!?!?! BUT WE NEED A SAFETY MOAR! I’m sorry Vikings fans but neither Nate Allen nor Chad Jones is worth a first round selection and believe it or not cornerback is just as pressing this offseason. In Winfield’s absence, the lack of depth in the secondary was exposed and opposing offenses took advantage. With Winfield turning 33 next year coming off an injury and now Cedric Griffin suffering a torn ACL, it’s important for the Vikings to address the position. With another year in school, Warren could easily have been a top 10-15 pick in 2011. Warren is a strong fit in the Vikings defensive scheme and has the skill set to be a long term solution next to Griffin.

31. Indianapolis Colts - DT Brian Price, UCLA
If Brian Price is available here, then the Colts would scoop him up without thinking twice. His ability to penetrate the center of the OL is exactly what the doctor ordered. While he does disappear during games, he does come up big as well. His lack of consistency is the reason why he's still here.

32. New Orleans Saints - OLB Daryl Washington, TCU
Washington is one of those players that makes things happen on the football field and shouldn’t be seen strictly as an ILB. He showed at the Senior Bowl that he is just as good a prospect on the outside as he is on the inside, if not better. He has an uncanny ability to fight through traffic and find the ball carrier and he has strong enough coverage abilities to stay with NFL tight ends. He easily has the speed and athleticism to cover the flat and would fit great alongside Vilma.

ROUND 2

33. St. Louis Rams - WR Brandon LaFell, LSU
The Rams lack a big target in their passing game and LaFell provides that. All he does is make plays when the ball is passed to him. While I don't like the Dwayne Bowe comparisons, LaFell is an intriguing prospect in his own right. He capped off a brilliant career at LSU with consistency despite not having a great QB passing him the ball. He knows how to go up and "get it".

34. Detroit Lions – OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland
The Lions cannot rely on Jeff Backus much longer at LT. He is arguably the worst starting left tackle in the NFL, easily in the top 3, and is going to get Matt Stafford killed. An uncapped season gives the Lions a chance to dump dead weight and I think Backus will be included in those casualties. Enter Bruce Campbell. Campbell could easily be off the board at this point in the draft but he could slip given his inexperience. His strength and athleticism is unparalleled but he needs to learn to better use his feet. He should provide an upgrade in the run game and has the potential to develop into a franchise left tackle.

35. Tampa Bay Bucanneers - DE Everson Griffin, USC
The Bucs landed Eric Berry in Round 1, but still need to address the defensive line. Of the players available, Griffin tops the charts, imo. I really think that Griffin barely scratched his potential at USC. He's got advanced double moves in his repertoire that he flashed at times, but he could stand to work on his leverage technique. Still... he's a force against the pass and rush.

36. Kansas City Chiefs - OL Vladimir Ducasse, Umass
The Chiefs would be wise to select an O-lineman here. Their OL used to be the envy of the league in their glory days. The closer they get back to that status, the better off they'd be. Ducasse could be tried at OT or end up at OG. Either way, he's loaded with raw talent and it's hard to see him being a failure on the next level.

37. TRADE: Arizona via Washington – OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU
The Cardinals need a linebacker that can put consistent pressure on the quarterback and move up into the early second round to snag one of the best pass rushers in this draft. With an extra 3rd round pick in trading Boldin, the Cardinals can afford to put together a trade here and make a run at an impact player.

38. Cleveland Browns – S Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech
Burnett is one of the more underlooked safeties in this years draft class. He's strong in coverage, sometimes playing cornerback at GT, has very good agility for his size, and shows excellent ball skills. His instincts though are what separates him from a lot of the other safety prospects. He can play either safety position which will allow Cleveland to use his versatility with Elam find the best scheme.

39. Oakland Raiders - DT Terence Cody, Alabama
Al Davis is very old school. He may love speed at the skill positions, but he loves SIZE in the trenches. He has a thing for big Defensive Tackles. See Russell Maryland, Ted Washington, Tommy Kelly, etc....through the years. If Cody is available (and he should be), then there's no doubt in my mind that Al would pull the trigger on this controversial prospect.

40. Seattle Seahawks - OT Charles Brown, USC
The Seahawks have a definitive need to upgrade the offensive line but have been in situations through the draft so far where value at other need positions has been too hard to pass up. Here Pete Carroll is able to snag one of his former Trojans that will have a jump start on the offense and will hopefully be able to contribute right away.

41. Buffalo Bills - LB Navorro Bowman, Penn St.
When Mel Kiper listed Bowman as one of his top 20 players on his big board, it was just to get everyone to open up their eyes about this prospect. The draft will reveal him to be more like a Top 40ish prospect. For Buffalo to get a playmaking LB like Bowman here is a big boost to their D.

42. New England Patriots – WR Arrelius Benn, Illinois
Benn comes in a TO power type mold. His performance at Illinois has been under accomplished but more from the offensive scheme and poor qb play than due to Benns talent. He is one of the best run blockers in the draft at WR and uses his strength to beat coverage. He will need to work on his hands and route running some at the NFL level but learning from Randy Moss and getting passes from Brady should go a long way in shortening his learning curve.

43. Miami Dolphins - WR Damien Williams, USC
The Dolphins need to come away from this draft with a receiver, so I don't foresee them holding off too long. Damien Williams may be a basket-arm catcher, but he is a playmaking WR who is excellent in the open field. He would be a very nice compliment at the X WR position to Ginn (Y) and Bess (Z).

44. Tampa Bay Bucaneers - RB Jahvid Best, California
With their first two picks the Bucs have taken steps to solidify the defense but they still lack a true playmaker on the offensive side. In the open field, Best has true big play potential. He's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. He has first round talent but could fall due to injury concerns, questions about his size, and pass blocking.

45. Denver Broncos - C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida

46. New York Giants - MLB Brandon Spikes, Florida
The Giants have released Antonio Pierce and will most definitely be in the market for an upgrade at MLB this offseason. I fully believe that Spikes is 1st round talent and very easily could be gone in the mid 2nd round come April if he tests well at the combine, especially in interviews. This is a weak class at MLB so snagging Spikes here is an easy decision.

47. New England Patriots - WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
Randy Moss got extremely lazy for long stretches last year. It's obvious that he is more than just a step slower. Pretty soon Moss will be useless. Drafting Thomas (a big man who likes to go for the deep home run catch) has a similar game to Moss. Perhaps Moss can take this young talent under his wing like Chris Carter did for him and groom him to be ready to take over some day. The need at WR strong enough to warrant taking two wrs in the 2nd round.

48. Carolina Panthers - WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincy
The Panthers have to bring in a consistent #2/slot receiver to play with Smith and the always aging Muhammad. Gilyard has incredible explosion and can score from anywhere on the field. He brings great versatility with his abilities in the return game and even with his size, he works the middle of the field well, especially finding the hole in zone coverage.

49) San Francisco 49ers - S Chad Jones, LSU
I just couldn't justify addressing another position of need and getting as much value as I am getting here with Chad Jones. After taking Sergio Kindle and Kyle Wilson, the Niners D is looking top shape after this pick. Offensively, I'm expecting them to sign Michael Vick, so that could solve a lot of their offensive woes.

50) Houston Texans – RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
Dwyer is a big of an enigma right now as a prospect, primarily due to the ludicrous offensive scheme he comes from. It's had to get a great read on his speed and edge quickness but the things we know for sure at he doesnt fumble, he has great vision through the middle, and he knows how to get into the endzone in the redzone, all things that the Texans don't have at the rb position.

51) TRADE: Carolina Panthers via Kansas City - DE Corey Wootten, Northwestern
With the trade of Peppers to KC, the Panthers elect to use this pick on the 6-7, 280 pound Wootten. Hoping he can fill the void left by Peppers is a tall task, but Wootten has all the characteristics of a first round pick, so making this trade is like trading for a first rounder in Carolina's mind.

Kansas City receives: DE Julius Peppers
It has hit the end of the road for Peppers in Carolina. Long term negotiations are dead. KC will give him that pay check and also satisfy his desire to play in a 3-4 Defense.

52) Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
Love this pick for the Steelers and wouldnt even be surprised if they traded back and took McCourty in the first round or up in the 2nd to ensure they are able to draft him. McCourty is a great fit in the Steelers defense and has been one of the highest risers since the Senior Bowl. He gets in and out of breaks very well and makes plays all over the field.

53) New England Patriots – OL Kyle Calloway, Iowa
I think Calloway would find a nice home in New England. They have always seemed to go for the white blue collar type and Calloway fits that prototype. In trying to follow the more highly regarded Bryan Bulaga, it's almost easier to notice Calloway doing a lot of damage. Pats probably noticed a similar situation last year, which lead to drafting Ron Brace.

54) TRADE: Dallas Cowboys via Cincinnati – DE Alex Carrington, Arkansas St
Seeing Wootten get swept off the board, gets Jerry a little nervous about the 3-4 DE prospects he's been eyeing out. Since hitting on small school prospect Demarcus Ware, Jerry has kept an eye out for special talent coming from the small conference schools. Thier first pick last year, Jason Williams is another example. This year, Carrington has got Jerry's bones rattlin'. Their Senior Bowl contact was no happenstance.

Cincinnati receives: TE Martellus Bennett
The Bengals sought out Bennett at the trade deadline, but Jerry refused. A revisit to the trade this time gets the deal done. Bennett is oozing with potential as a passing weapon. He is already there a far as run blocking goes.

55) Philadelphia Eagles – DE Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
The Eagles unforseenly selected a cornerback in Round 1, however, they still end up fortunate enough to land a talented DE like Greg Hardy here in the 2nd round. Hardy could be long gone by now in real life, so drafting him here seems like a real coup.

56) Green Bay Packers – Patrick Robinson, Florida St.
Robinson is almost an Al Harris clone. He's phyiscal, strong, great at jamming wrs at the line, and very quick. Unfortunately for GB, Harris looks like he will retire and even though Tramon Williams played well at times this past season, he is inexperienced and there is no depth at the position behind him. The Pack can plug Robinson immediately into the nickle and hope he excels in their system just as Harris did.

57) Baltimore Ravens – FS Nate Allen, South FloridPa
With all the talk of Ed Reed possibly retiring, the Ravens are not going to let Allen slip past them. Even if he does not retire, the signs are pointing to that direction in the near future. So to have a playmaking ballhawk like Allen in the fold is a comforting move.

58) Washington via Arizona Cardinals – C Matt Tennant, Boston College
The Skins could have taken Pouncey at the top of the 2nd but instead they are able to trade down into the later part of the round to draft Tennant and replace the 3rd round pick that they used in the supplemental draft. Tennant, imo, is every bit as good as Pouncey in the right system. He is ideal for the Shanahan ZBS and with 12 months of NFL strength and conditioning, he'll be every bit as good as Alex Mack, who was drafted in the 1st round last year.

59) Dallas Cowboys – S Reshad Jones, Georgia
The Cowboys are thrilled to land Reshad with this pick. They feel that he is a versatile type Safety that could play either SS or FS. Fully expect Ken Hamlin to get cut after not playing to his big contract. This is the year to do it without sustaining a cap hit.

60) San Diego Chargers – NT Cam Thomas, North Carolina
The Chargers biggest needs are more obvious than most teams. They upgraded at RB in the first round and now they are in a good position to bring in a young, strong, stout nose tackle to replace Jamal Williams. Thomas met with the Chargers at the Senior Bowl and in an interview said that Chargers Scouts were seen quite often at his games.

61) New York Jets – CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama CB
The Jets need to replace Lito Sheppard who was benched in the AFC Championship game. Jackson is a raw, but talented corner who will have the tall task of playing opposite of Darrelle Revis. Jackson might be given the chance to sit or play nickel in the beginning though as I could also see the Jets addressing this position with a cheap fill-in from FA.

62) Minnesota Vikings – OG Mike Johnson, Alabama
The Vikings need to get back to running the football successfully. APetes YPC has dropped each year in the league and I expect the Vikings to start grooming Hutchinsons eventual replacement, although I am confident that Johnson would beat out Herrera on the other side fairly quickly. Johnson is ideal for the Vikings style of ZBS. He has good size, impressive balance, long arms, and gets to the second level very well.

63) Indianapolis Colts – CB Dominique Franks, Oklahoma
Curious to see him run at the combine, especially with the rumors of him being able to run a 4.2 40. If he does that, then he'll be gone by now, so I guess you can tell I have my doubts. The Colts need to solidify their secondary, so this is a good upside pick here as Franks is a well tested CB coming from the high passing Big 12 conference.

64) New Orleans Saints - DT Lamarr Houston, Texas
A few weeks ago youd put Houston in the underrated category but he has been rising steadily up draft boards. Good all around prospect that is stout against the run but also can get penetration. He fits best as a 3 tech, although he could play as probably a 5 tech or 3 tech and be successful.

ROUND 3

65) St. Louis Rams - QB Colt McCoy, Texas
The Rams have been patient about addressing their QB position. They passed up on Sanchez and any other halfway meaningful QB prospect last year with the thought of making sure the supporting cast was strong enough. This year, they pass on the Top QB prospects again and add a weapon in LaFell to the passing game. But here in the 3rd they finally get value that they can't pass up on when Colt McCoy falls to them in the 3rd.

66. Detroit Lions - CB Amari Speivey, Iowa
The Lions have done a great job with their first two picks of addressing their need in the trenches but they can't overlook the issues in their secondary. The Lions DC Cunningham loves to blitz but has been unable to do so because he cant trust his secondary. In man to man coverage Speirvey has the skills to be a solid starting #2 corner that matches very well against big receivers.

67. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - LB Eric Norwood, S.Carolina
Norwood brings his hard hat to the field every day. He may not be the guy who has the best practices, but on game day, all he does is make play after play. He does it in his own ugly way, but Raheem Morris could turn him into a nice work horse that will help Morris secure his own job as HC for the Bucs.

REDSKINS FORFEIT THRU SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT

68. Kansas City Chiefs - RB Lagarrette Blount, Oregon
Blount + Charles would be one heck of a 1-2 punch! Ziiing! I had to do it. In all seriousness, I am a big Jamaal Charles fan but given his size and running style, the Chiefs would smart to add a complimentary big back to help him with the workload. Not to mention, Charles isnt the most efficient redzone runner. A guy like Blount would go a long way in taking this offense to the next level and freeing up the passing game.

69. Oakland Raiders - DE Austen Lane, Kansas St
You have to think out of the box when it comes to selecting for the Raiders... you just have to. After selecting 2 big bodies in Anthony Davis and Terence Cody, you just know Al has to be craving some speed by now. You also have to guess that he'll be over drafting a guy pretty badly because of their own gut instinct on how good the guy is. Well, at 6'7", 270, with a reported 4.6 40, this is my best guess. Greg Ellis is old and oft injured. DE is a big need.

70. Philadelphia Eagles - S Major Wright, Florida
The Major could prove to be a steal in the 3rd round with the right coaching. He can hit, he can run, and he can cover a lot of ground. His game still needs to be polished at the next level but he has all the tools to be a very good safety and he has a ton of experience starting since the 4th game of his freshman season.

71. Cleveland Browns - TE Aaron Hernandez, Florida
Aaron Hernandez is Kellen Winslow without the character problems. The Browns should be thrilled that Hernandez is still on the board. Adding more weapons will build a strong supporting cast for whatever QB ends up being their franchise signal caller.

72. Buffalo Bills - OT Jared Veldheer, Hillsdale
The Bills easily could go OL sooner than this but the value wasnt great in the second round whereas here they are getting a great prospect at much better value than anyone theyd have taken in the 2nd round. Veldheer is going to blow away NFL Front Offices at the combine and could see a rise similar to small school prospect Vollmer did last year. He may need some time to adjust to NFL level competition but should grow with Clausen in a few years time.

73. Miami Dolphins - QB Tim Tebow, Florida
I think there is a man upstairs who thinks this guy can be a weapon in his offensive arsenal. That man is the Big Tuna himself. Pat White wasn't so hot sitting back there in the Wildcat. Tim Tebow could be the real answer that they hoped for and White can start an official conversion to WR.

74. Chicago Bears - OL Jon Asamoah, Illinois
The Bears needs on the oline is obvious enough. Prior to injury, Asamoah was a 2nd round talent. He wont require surgery and if he heals in time for private workouts and his pro day I think he will make a big impression on at least enough teams so that he doesnt drop too far in the draft. He plays very strong and controls defenders at the point of attack.

75. Jacksonville Jaguars - DT Tyson Alualu, Cal
The Jacksonville pass rush was worse than anemic last year. Overhauls are due along that Defensive Line. Derrick Morgan was a start. Alualu is a continuation. I also like this fit a lot since the Jags have as long as I can remember have always tended to favor Polynesian players more than most other clubs.

76. New York Giants - DT Geno Atkins, Georgia
Atkins has flow under the radar with all the big name DTs in this years draft. Although slightly undersized, hes a very versatile athletic penetrating lineman, which should fit well into the Giants defensive scheme. He has a tremendous motor and could prove very successful with the right coaching and a year or two in the weight room.

77. Carolina Panthers - CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest
In a division with Drew Brees standing in the way, the Panthers must continue to solidify their pass defense. Ghee put together a strong senior season to cap off a decorated career. He's a physical corner who has been able to shutdown opponents, but needs to be more fluid and improve his technique to truly succeed on the next level.

78. Tennessee Titans - CB Javier Arenas, Alabama
I expect the Titans to try and fill the void opposite of Finnegan at some point this offseason. Part of the issues with the pass rush is the inability to provide tight enough coverage outside. They could look to bring in a FA but even if they do they are still likely to draft a young corner for the future and a guy like Arenas that offers versatility as a return specialists is the type of guy I expect them to look at. Arenas is one of the best return men in the draft and although inconsistent, he shows a lot of promise at corner.

79. San Francisco 49ers - OT Jason Fox, Miami
The 49ers fan base must have been up in arms so far seeing them pass on addressing the OL up to now, but Jason Fox is an impressive player who's talent should not be overlooked. I have a feeling he'll be long gone before this point in real life. But for now...Score!

80. Denver Broncos - WR Jordan Shipley, Texas
Who knows whats going to happen with Brandon Marshall. With or without Marshall, the Broncos dont have much behind Eddie Royal that is reliable and they have to at least plan for the potential that Marshall may not be around long. Shipley would be a great replacement for Stockley and could be very effective in the slot. McDaniels likes to draft based on talent and Shipley here in the 3rd round is strong value.

81. Houston Texans - CB Chris Cook, Virginia
Cook opened a lot of eyes at the Senior Bowl and it definitely catapulted his stock. The Texans have have improved a lot of areas on their team, but still have lingering issues at corner.

82. Pittsburgh Steelers - RB Toby Gerhart, Stanford
Fast Willie is out the door in Pitt. I expect Mewelde to increase his role, especially in the passing game, but the Steelers cant really rely on him as a 2nd runner behind Mendenhall. Toby screams old school Steelers to me. Hes a big strong bruiser with surprising footwork and is a good blocker. I personally dont see Gerhart as a FB. I think he can be an effective RB on a team like Pittsburgh where he works alongside Mendenhall and pounds the rock.

83. Atlanta Falcons - DE Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech
Some reputable scouts have been putting Worilds as a first rounder in the 1st round of their mocks *cough* Wes Bunting *cough*. I'm not sure I buy that kind of hype, but landing him here in the 3rd has to be considered a good get for a team in search of pressure on the QB.

84. Cincinnati Bengals - DE/LB Koa Misi, Utah
Misi could play with his hand on the ground or upright as a strongside linebacker. The Bengals have more of a need at OLB but I love the fit for Misi in Cincy. A fast riser given his speed/athleticism/size combo, he could hear his name drafted as early as the second round with a good showing at the combine.

85. Oakland Raiders - WR Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
Huh? Yeah, huh. I can soooo see this as a Raiders type selection. 2-3 rounds too high to take this guy, and the value is way off, but he's a 6-4, 212 pounder that moves and looks like a Brandon Marshall clone. Al has seen the way the way Marshall has beasted their division and thinks he can duplicate that feat.

86. Green Bay Packers - RB Dexter McCluster, Miss
The Packers can obviously move the ball on offense but they really dont have a dynamic homerun runner. Putting a guy like McCluster in the backfield, or even in the slot at times, would frighten opposing defenses. McCluster may be small but he runs strong you have to catch him if you want to try and tackle him.

87. Philadelphia Eagles - LB Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
The Eagles haven't addressed their LB position yet, so they have to gamble on upside here. Gibson has that upside, but you have wonder if he made the right decision to declare for the draft, now that he's ended up in the 3rd. The Eagles seem to have gotten good value here because next year Gibson could've been mentioned as a potential first rounder.

88. Arizona via Baltimore - OL Roger Saffold, Indiana
Arizona Cardinals send Anquan Boldin to the Baltimore Ravens for pick 88 and 2011 conditional draft pick.

I think you will see the Cardinals put more focus on the running game over the next couple years and will need to retool some of their oline. Saffold put on a performance at the East West game, dominating dlineman all week including Greg Hardy, and proved that he can play either Tackle or Guard at the NFL level. Jeremy Bridges has been pretty disappointing recently and could easily be upgraded.

89. Washington via Arizona - DB Myron Lewis, Vanderbilt
The Skins are focused on resigning Rocky McIntosh but Im not sold that they are going to try and resign Carlos Rogers. They could even attempt to trade him as a RFA this upcoming season. Lewis projects as either a FS or CB which would give the Redskins a lot of value given how they like to move around their dbacks. Tryon, at times this past year, played decent but I dont see him as more than a nickle/dime corner going forward. Lewis is a big corner with impressive ball skills and is a very smart player.

90. Dallas Cowboys - OG John Jerry, Ole Miss
Seeking offensive line stability is a must for the Cowboys going into the draft. Jerry doesn't like using high picks on them, so this is the area that he starts to give them notice. Jerry is a classic Cowboys mauler type lineman. He graded out well lining up at Tackle at the Senior Bowl, so there is that potential as well, if the Cowboys want to try him out on the right.

91. San Diego Chargers - DE Arthur Jones, Syracuse
Jones is a great value here. Had he completed a healthy senior season, he would've had a realistic chance of being a first round selection. But due to injury, his stock has taken a fall. The Chargers are looking to improve their defense, and Jones is one of the BPA that fits a need.

92. Cleveland Browns - ILB Micah Johnson, Kentucky
Johnson as a 3-4 ILB is probably a good 2-3 rounds better prospect than as a 4-3 MLB. He's a big boy at 6'2 250 lbs and is extremely physical. He shows good instincts recognizing plays and although he isnt really fast he has a quick burst. I love his intensity and think hed be a great long term pair alongside DQwell.

93. Minnesota Vikings - QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati
The Vikings have to address QB if they don't do it via trade or FA. Landing Pike late in the 3rd is good value and well worth the risk. He has inconsistencies to work on, but there's a lot of raw skills to work with. Just a 2 year starter for the Bearcats, Pike hasn't scratched his surface yet.

94. Indianapolis Colts - TE Jimmy Graham, Miami
Dallas Clarke helped take me to my fantasy football championship so I definitely have a ton of love for the guy but even with that said, Graham could create some intriguing mismatches in two tight end sets. No QB makes the most of his targets better than Manning and I could see the Colts really exposing defenses with a guy like Graham.

95. New Orleans Saints - C JD Walton, Baylor
The Saints are aging at Center. Walton is one of the best players available and teams picking at the end of the rounds are wise to scoop up talent bypassed by other teams. This should help to prolong the Saints potent offensive attack.

Nalej
02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
3 out of the 4 Pats pick are pretty good.
No way the Pats take 2 WRs though. Doesn't make sense.
I love A.Benn so instead of D.Thomas- a CB like P.Robinson would be nice if L.Bodden isn't resigned.
If he is resigned then a rb like Dwyer or a DE like Wooten would be sweet

DiG
02-13-2010, 04:53 PM
3 out of the 4 Pats pick are pretty good.
No way the Pats take 2 WRs though. Doesn't make sense.
I love A.Benn so instead of D.Thomas- a CB like P.Robinson would be nice if L.Bodden isn't resigned.
If he is resigned then a rb like Dwyer or a DE like Wooten would be sweet

ill let DUnit defend that one. When he made the pick I thought he might have missed that I already gave the Pats Benn but he was adamant that he thought the value was good and that the Pats better ready themselves for life without Randy Moss.

Unbiased
02-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow. Great Jacksonville picks. If I can nitpick, I like Geno Atkins a little more than Alualu, but that's just me. If this was our first 2 picks on draft day, I'd do cartwheels.

I can't do cartwheels.

phlysac
02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
13. San Francisco 49ers - OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
I think the draftnik community is sleeping on how good this guy really is. He has been one of the best, if not the best playmakers on the field regardless of who Texas has played. His effort in the Championship game capped off a great career and he will go to a team in desperate need for a legitimate and consistent threat from the edges. I expect a great combine from this kid.

17. San Francisco 49ers - CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
Wilson proved at the Senior Bowl that he was the Top Senior Cornerback in the draft. His fluid hips, quick recognition and strong hands were on full display as he dropped jaws all week long. Most people on this site probably think I'm nuts for putting Wilson this high, but if I know Mike Singletary, I know he doesn't like to be wrong. Wilson may be the safest DB pick in the draft.

49) San Francisco 49ers - S Chad Jones, LSU
I just couldn't justify addressing another position of need and getting as much value as I am getting here with Chad Jones. After taking Sergio Kindle and Kyle Wilson, the Niners D is looking top shape after this pick. Offensively, I'm expecting them to sign Michael Vick, so that could solve a lot of their offensive woes.

79. San Francisco 49ers - OT Jason Fox, Miami
The 49ers fan base must have been up in arms so far seeing them pass on addressing the OL up to now, but Jason Fox is an impressive player who's talent should not be overlooked. I have a feeling he'll be long gone before this point in real life. But for now...Score!

Although, all players are attractive, you didn't address the GLARING need of a RT. Yes, Fox was selected but you said yourself, "he'll be long gone before this point in real life"

Also, I'd have difficulty naming ONE offensive woe that Michael Vick would solve let alone ALL of them. Alex Smith (in just 11 games of 2009) performed better than Michael Vick has in all but one season, and 2002 was 7 seasons ago.

Babylon
02-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Seattle

I think there are too many question marks with Bradford, Bryant and Charles Brown. in this scenario i'd rather have:

Bulaga/Davis
Mays
Gerhart

DiG
02-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Although, all players are attractive, you didn't address the GLARING need of a RT. Yes, Fox was selected but you said yourself, "he'll be long gone before this point in real life"

i actually dont think that jason fox would be gone by that point. i think mid to late 3rd is where his value will and should land so we did address RT.

Seattle
I think there are too many question marks with Bradford, Bryant and Charles Brown. in this scenario i'd rather have:

Wow. i actually thought Dez was the steal of the draft. I think your underrating Brown too. I understand the questions about Bradford. The combine will give us a much better idea but I do think hes a good fit in Seattle.

wicket
02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
all three of the saints picks are reaches so although they fill needs i dont really like any of them

Babylon
02-13-2010, 05:26 PM
i actually dont think that jason fox would be gone by that point. i think mid to late 3rd is where his value will and should land so we did address RT.

Wow. i actually thought Dez was the steal of the draft. I think your underrating Brown too. I understand the questions about Bradford. The combine will give us a much better idea but I do think hes a good fit in Seattle.

Seattle definitely needs a homerun threat at the WR position so i could see the pick there. Charles Brown is severly overrated, he cant seem to add any kind of bulk and in too many games got pushed back into the backfield. I think Pete has seen enough of him.

Legacy
02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
The Buccaneers need a wide receiver before they need another runningback and linebacker is not a need.

The Bucs need an UT badly. If Tyson Alualu, Lamarr Houston or Geno Atkins are available in the third, they will not pass (unless they get Suh or McCoy). Heck, don't be surprised if they select any one of those three in the second round.

DiG
02-13-2010, 05:41 PM
The Bucs need an UT badly. If Tyson Alualu, Lamarr Houston or Geno Atkins are available in the third, they will not pass (unless they get Suh or McCoy). Heck, don't be surprised if they select any one of those three in the second round.

I actually considered one of those three with the Bucs second 2nd round pick but I had a feeling that at least 1 or 2 would be available in the third round. ill have to let d unit talk to why he gave you guys an olb instead of alualu or atkins but i agree thats the route i would have taken.

JRTPlaya21
02-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Well my life is pretty much complete now that this mock is out :). Fun read like last time and enjoy the Redskins pick. I swear I'll throw so many things if we don't draft a lineman first.

SRogers92
02-13-2010, 05:49 PM
RE: Lions picks ...

Jeff Backus actually had a decent year last year ... I hate the guy for his suck-ti-tude the past 5+ seasons, but -- last year he was borderline good ... We ran to his side the best and he was better then Gosder in pass blocking ...

With that said ... I'd rather have CBs in both Round 2 & 3 ... but Campbell has such high potential is a good pick ... McCoy is a no-brainer.

tjsunstein
02-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Sign me up for this draft. I'm a fan of the McCluster pick especially.

T-RICH49
02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
3rd's too high for Blount IMO.I'd go best S available

vidae
02-13-2010, 06:28 PM
The first two picks are absolutely perfect, but I'm not a fan of the Peppers trade (I'd prefer he wasn't anywhere near this team) and Blount in the 3rd is way too early.

Rolando McClain
Vladimir Ducasse
Nate Allen
Jon Asamoah

This would be much better and hit all of our major needs perfectly.

redbills
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Bowman a 34 LB? Other than that I like.

T-RICH49
02-13-2010, 06:48 PM
The first two picks are absolutely perfect, but I'm not a fan of the Peppers trade (I'd prefer he wasn't anywhere near this team) and Blount in the 3rd is way too early.

Rolando McClain
Vladimir Ducasse
Nate Allen
Jon Asamoah

This would be much better and hit all of our major needs perfectly.

why don't you want Peppers?he give us what we need...a pass rusher.Peppers for one of our 2 2nd's I'd do in a heartbeat

diesel
02-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Golden Tate will be a beast in the NFL. Don't care for Jones, really would've wanted one of the top 3 guys but whatever. Lots of time put in good job.

vidae
02-13-2010, 06:52 PM
why don't you want Peppers?he give us what we need...a pass rusher.Peppers for one of our 2 2nd's I'd do in a heartbeat

He's a whiner and causes problems, he has never played OLB, and he's 30. No thank you.

TitanHope
02-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Brandon Graham and Javier Arenas are pretty cool for the Titans!

Bengals78
02-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I would throw a brick through my TV in anger if that happened.

BaLLiN
02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
like the draft for giants

1. Earl Thomazzzz
2. Spikezzz
3. Atkinzzz

other giants fans may like Arthur Jones however in the third, but both DT's have considerably great upside.

Seasonticketholder
02-13-2010, 07:23 PM
all three of the saints picks are reaches so although they fill needs i dont really like any of them

I totally agree. There are several players that I would take over the picks we have here.

Grizzlegom
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Not a huge fan of the Fins draft. I'd hope we wouldn't pass on Bryant in the first if he fell to us and if we did, i would hope it wasn't for JPP as he's too similar to cam wake. If we did pass on bryant i'd be prefectly okay with Damian Williams.

HATE the Tim Tebow pick. Miami abandoned the Wildcat when Ronnie Brown got hurt because we are no longer trying to use it as a 'gimmick' offense. I think we learned our lesson with Pat White and i'd be pretty upset if we took a QB with a high pick for the 6th straight year. (yes i said 6th we've spent our second round pick on a QB for the past FIVE years, AJ Feeley 05, Daunte Culpepper 06, John Beck 07, Chad Henne 08, Pat White 09)

Hines
02-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Awesome Steelers draft.

jCut
02-13-2010, 09:10 PM
First two picks are spot on for Denver, but I don't like the Shipley pick at all. Give us a guard like Jerry or Saffold to pair with Pouncey or a d-lineman like Arthur Jones instead.

Go_Eagles77
02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
That's not my ideal eagles draft, but it gets the job done. Overall very solid and I wouldn't complain if it went that way.

BeerBaron
02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Solid Bears pick. Couldn't complain much about it.

Scotty D
02-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Lions draft = A

Speivey is one of my favorite corners

zachsaints52
02-13-2010, 10:36 PM
1st. Terrance Cody
2. Eric Norwood
3. Walton is ok
Saints draft right here if we cant get Spoon!

farfromforgotten
02-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I would throw a brick through my TV in anger if that happened.

Then I'd throw his busted up TV through my TV.

Not very excited by this draft for the 49ers. Kindle and Wilson are good prospects, but I think they are both drafted too high.

Hughes in the 2nd is good.

If we somehow managed to wait all the way till round 3 to grab an OT it would be pretty cool if it was Fox, but I dont think he falls that far.

I would love to see us grab two playmakers in the 1st round, but I believe that 1 of those 2 picks is destined to be an OT.

I'm not even going to comment on us getting Vick. Though I guess I just did by saying that, didnt I?

Dont see it happening.

Pat Sims 90
02-13-2010, 11:11 PM
WR in the 1st for Bengals Have a ton of Young Interior OL on Roster we also like are OL to be able to play more then 1 postion and Iupati is only going to play OG

We offered a High Draft Pick for Bennett Last Year and Dallas turned it down i dont see that trade happening

S is way bigger need then a DE/LB tweener

1st. Golden Tate
2nd. Nate Allen or Reshad Jones
3rd. Jimmy Graham
Would be alot better Mock

RaiderNation
02-13-2010, 11:19 PM
First two picks are good, idk about the last 2 prospects

proshoota25
02-13-2010, 11:34 PM
interesting patriots idea. i just dont think the patriots would be bold enough to draft 2 WRs when we have a lot of holes on defense.

thebow305
02-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Not a huge fan of the Fins draft. I'd hope we wouldn't pass on Bryant in the first if he fell to us and if we did, i would hope it wasn't for JPP as he's too similar to cam wake. If we did pass on bryant i'd be prefectly okay with Damian Williams.

HATE the Tim Tebow pick. Miami abandoned the Wildcat when Ronnie Brown got hurt because we are no longer trying to use it as a 'gimmick' offense. I think we learned our lesson with Pat White and i'd be pretty upset if we took a QB with a high pick for the 6th straight year. (yes i said 6th we've spent our second round pick on a QB for the past FIVE years, AJ Feeley 05, Daunte Culpepper 06, John Beck 07, Chad Henne 08, Pat White 09)

This ^

I'm ok with the JPP pick, and Williams is ok in the 2nd, but Demaryius Thomas would be better there in the 2nd, as the big, physical complement to Ginn and Bess that we need. And as said above, Tebow is a lol pick, and will most likely be gone by that point anyway. I could see them picking someone else from the Senior Bowl, like Jimmy Graham who they are smitten with, or Dexter McCluster. But Tebow just simply isn't an option for us this year.

prock
02-14-2010, 03:11 AM
30. Minnesota Vikings - CB Patrick Donovan Warren, Michigan
A cornerback?!?!?! BUT WE NEED A SAFETY MOAR! Iím sorry Vikings fans but neither Nate Allen nor Chad Jones is worth a first round selection and believe it or not cornerback is just as pressing this offseason. In Winfieldís absence, the lack of depth in the secondary was exposed and opposing offenses took advantage. With Winfield turning 33 next year coming off an injury and now Cedric Griffin suffering a torn ACL, itís important for the Vikings to address the position. With another year in school, Warren could easily have been a top 10-15 pick in 2011. Warren is a strong fit in the Vikings defensive scheme and has the skill set to be a long term solution next to Griffin.

Chad Jones is more worth a first rounder than "Patrick Donovan Warren". Benny Sapp is a solid nickel corner. We drafted Asher Allen in the third round. You don't spend a third rounder on a guy who you want to be your dime back, so I don't really get why we would draft a corner in the first round. I would rather reach for a safety than draft a position that really isn't that big of a need. I am fine with the other two picks, as they are both needs, but I personally think Tony Pike sucks.

21ST
02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
pretty decent skins draft but i dont see why you just didnt go all O-line it wouldnt have hurt at all

DiG
02-14-2010, 09:52 AM
pretty decent skins draft but i dont see why you just didnt go all O-line it wouldnt have hurt at all

i have a bit of a man crush on myron lewis. that was part of it. if we had done a 4th round too id have probably gone OL with that pick or possibly rb.

DiG
02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Chad Jones is more worth a first rounder than "Patrick Donovan Warren". Benny Sapp is a solid nickel corner. We drafted Asher Allen in the third round. You don't spend a third rounder on a guy who you want to be your dime back, so I don't really get why we would draft a corner in the first round. I would rather reach for a safety than draft a position that really isn't that big of a need. I am fine with the other two picks, as they are both needs, but I personally think Tony Pike sucks.

sapp is a career nickle and as a vikings fan you should know that allen was a reach in the 3rd and didnt exactly have a promising rookie year. neither of those two are future starters opposite of griffin. so your going into next year, in a pass happy league, with two very good starters with two very bad knees, one of which will be 33 years old, and two decent nickle/dime backs. thats not a terrible situation at first glance but should either of those two starters go down again (likely chance given winfields age and type of injury) your secondary is f'd. i understand the need at other positions but vikings fans around here need to brace themselves for the possibility of an early cb in the draft. corners are always drafted higher come draft day because young future starting corners are valued extremely high. warren absolutely has starter quality.

evenar
02-14-2010, 10:11 AM
If this were San Diegos draft I would be very optimistic for the next season. Especially if they trade Cro for a high 2nd rounder and get an Ducasse, in addition to getting a nickel corner in the 4th.

Razor
02-14-2010, 10:50 AM
22. New England Patriots - DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap, Florida
In the 3-4 defense, Dunlapís size/speed/athleticism combo reminds me a lot of the 3-4 elephant role (think Willie McGinist). Dunlap has been heralded as your typical boom or bust prospect. Remember, there is a big difference in taking a risk in the top 5 or 10 than taking a risk in the 20s and Dunlap has top 10 talent. Off the field issues will also be a concern with some teams but recall Meriweather was drafted in the first round by BB a few years back and has had no issues since. Dunlap does not have a recurrent history of problems and if it checks out as an isolated incident I donít think it will be much of an issue at all.

42. New England Patriots Ė WR Arrelius Benn, Illinois
Benn comes in a TO power type mold. His performance at Illinois has been under accomplished but more from the offensive scheme and poor qb play than due to Benns talent. He is one of the best run blockers in the draft at WR and uses his strength to beat coverage. He will need to work on his hands and route running some at the NFL level but learning from Randy Moss and getting passes from Brady should go a long way in shortening his learning curve.

47. New England Patriots - WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
Randy Moss got extremely lazy for long stretches last year. It's obvious that he is more than just a step slower. Pretty soon Moss will be useless. Drafting Thomas (a big man who likes to go for the deep home run catch) has a similar game to Moss. Perhaps Moss can take this young talent under his wing like Chris Carter did for him and groom him to be ready to take over some day. The need at WR strong enough to warrant taking two wrs in the 2nd round.

53) New England Patriots Ė OL Kyle Calloway, Iowa
I think Calloway would find a nice home in New England. They have always seemed to go for the white blue collar type and Calloway fits that prototype. In trying to follow the more highly regarded Bryan Bulaga, it's almost easier to notice Calloway doing a lot of damage. Pats probably noticed a similar situation last year, which lead to drafting Ron Brace.

Great work guys! It's obvious that you put a lot of work into this, it really shows - again with good explanations. I have some issues with the Patriots draft though:
First of all, the lack of a true 3-4 OLB. With four of the first fiftythree picks a rush 'backer has to be selected. It's obvious that there isn't one OLB on the roster that has starting ability, and I'm not sure that Dunlap has the abilities to play OLB. Until he proves me wrong at the Combine he looks more like a 3-4 DE than an OLB. He has top 10 talent, but not for a 3-4 imo. Again, just until he proves me wrong..

Two receivers? OK, I might be able to live with that. But Moss wasn't lazy last season, he played with a dislocated shoulder. Putting up the numbers he did, runblocking like he did... It's just amazing that he was able to do that! I have all the respect in the world for what he did last season, so should you. Anyways, if Brandon Spikes is available at #42 I don't see BB passing on him.

I love the Calloway pick, he could be a excellent RG in that system.

Forenci
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Tremendous Giants draft guys. If that happened I would be thrilled. Address three positions of need with very good value at each position. Sounds like a win to me!

Plus I like all the players you guys chose for us.

DiG
02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Two receivers? OK, I might be able to live with that. But Moss wasn't lazy last season, he played with a dislocated shoulder. Putting up the numbers he did, runblocking like he did... It's just amazing that he was able to do that! I have all the respect in the world for what he did last season, so should you. Anyways, if Brandon Spikes is available at #42 I don't see BB passing on him.

I think your right. With Benn, Williams, and D. Thomas on the board at 42, it would make more sense to take Spikes given at least 2 of those 3 WRs should be available with your next 2nd round selection. All three could be but I would think at least 1-2 would still be on the board.

Brown Leader
02-14-2010, 01:47 PM
LOVE the idea of Browns taking an Olineman with the first pick. Bulaga or Davis-all good. Apparently one of the few Browns fans [on here] that would like that. Not really that high on Burnett but eh.. In the third we could not pass on a CB-it's Ghee there. ILB just not a first day [3 rounds] need but i agree about Johnson as a prospect.

Jim Jim
02-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Not a big fan of Williams.

But I definitely love the second and third round selections for GB. Nice job!

prock
02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
sapp is a career nickle and as a vikings fan you should know that allen was a reach in the 3rd and didnt exactly have a promising rookie year. neither of those two are future starters opposite of griffin. so your going into next year, in a pass happy league, with two very good starters with two very bad knees, one of which will be 33 years old, and two decent nickle/dime backs. thats not a terrible situation at first glance but should either of those two starters go down again (likely chance given winfields age and type of injury) your secondary is f'd. i understand the need at other positions but vikings fans around here need to brace themselves for the possibility of an early cb in the draft. corners are always drafted higher come draft day because young future starting corners are valued extremely high. warren absolutely has starter quality.

sapp is a very good nickel, im fine with that. allen may have been a reach, but they obviously like him if they were willing to reach for him in the third. if winfield goes down again, then i bet allen would get a shot at starting. he improved A LOT throughout the course of the year. it just baffles me that we would spend a third round pick on a cornerback last year if he is going to be a career dime back.

djp
02-14-2010, 07:20 PM

lol, Asher Allen didn't necessarily have a strong rookie season, but it wasn't unpromising either. He was hurt for a little bit and didn't really have a place right away. He played really well in the Pittsburgh game when called upon. To say that he can't be a solution opposite Griffin would be extremely obtuse at this point. He has shown nothing to classify him as a bust at all, and the 3rd or 4th was about where he was expected to be drafted.

Benny Sapp played great football this year and we'll be re-signing him according to Spielman. So that's 4 corners with guaranteed spots come week 1 next year. Griffin is right on schedule to be ready for week 1 after his ACL surgery as well.

Chad Jones is listed as Scott's 27th best player, so I don't really think it's outside the realm of possibility that he could go in the first round. I don't think we'll take him, but it's still an option.

Donovan Warren is a good player and could be a fit if he improves his angles in the run game, but I just don't know if we are going to spend a first rounder on a corner right now with guys like Navarro Bowman and Daryl Washington still on board. I truly think that we will go best player available minus WRs and RBs. Just don't think Warren is that guy.

I think it's more likely that we address corner in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

scar988
02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
19. Atlanta Falcons - RB CJ Spiller, Illinois
Before you Falcons fans get mad, try to remember how banged up your RB stable crippled your entire team last year. A dynamic charger like Spiller here is a nice way to add potency to the offense, and if I'm not mistaken Jerious Norwood is a FA.

horrible pick and worse reasoning. Spiller would do nothing that Jerious Norwood doesn't already. we have actual needs at DE, OLB and CB. Also, the RB stable didn't cripple the team. we still had a potent offense even when Jason Snelling was our feature back. Injuries as a whole crippled the team. when Harvey Dahl and Matt Ryan went down, that's when we went on a 3 game losing streak.

STsACE
02-14-2010, 08:35 PM
LOVE the idea of Browns taking an Olineman with the first pick. Bulaga or Davis-all good. Apparently one of the few Browns fans [on here] that would like that. Not really that high on Burnett but eh.. In the third we could not pass on a CB-it's Ghee there. ILB just not a first day [3 rounds] need but i agree about Johnson as a prospect.

I like it as well. Something new and different from what most others are giving us. Good work guys.

bluebonnet78
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Loved the explanation for the Redskins first round pick. I've been flip-flopping on that one myself, but i agree nobody would stand a chance with that offensive line even though i think Clausen will end up as a fine qb. They really need a solid line in place for any qb to have a chance.

As far as Dallas's picks, I really like Golden Tate and i hope we end up with him, but I have doubts that he is what Jerry would have in mind in terms of a first round selection. I'm not sure whether his smaller size would be a first round deterrent, but the fact that Jerry spent last year's number one and a third on a WR that has flopped thus far makes me think he would be hesitant to spend another first round pick.

like the Alex Carrington-Martellus Bennett trade and Reshad Jones picks for Dallas. And i'd be real curious what jerry would do if Taylor Mays fell in the 1st round, which seems like a possibility at this point.

bluebonnet78
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
sorry, posted same message twice

vikes_28
02-14-2010, 11:00 PM
1st: Warren
2nd: Johnson
3rd: Pike

I guess it's an ok mock. I still don't agree with CB in the first round. Safety may not be an option in the first round. But CB is also not an option. Daryl Washington would be a wayyyy better pick in the 1st.

The second round pick is pretty bad. I'd say if the Vikings are going guard in the 1st three rounds it would be Mike Iupati in the first.

Lol at Pike. We don't want to go from one project to another. Jevan Snead > Tony Pike.

Johnson is ideal for the Vikings style of ZBS.

lolwut?

CashmoneyDrew
02-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Jason Jones has been inside his whole career. Good job, though.

junior2430
02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Not sure why you ignored the Broncos biggest need, defensive line. They need an upgrade at all three spots. Their 2-8 finish was largely due to the fact that they could not stop the run down the stretch, giving up over 200 yards of rushing 4 times during that span. The pass defense was not the problem. The only other need that is as big was filled with the excellent Pouncey pick.

DiG
02-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Johnson is ideal for the Vikings style of ZBS. He has good size, impressive balance, long arms, and gets to the second level very well.

lolwut?

My understanding is that the Vikings run an atypical version of the ZBS in much of their offense, basically a zbs with power running sprinkled in, kind of a hybrid. Thats why I liked Johnson. He's a powerful strong guard but moves well with his feet. Hes really tough and honestly the 2nd best guard in the draft imo.

I actually read quite a bit on a couple different Vikings message boards and the consensus outside of the SWDC world is as much for a cb in the draft as a safety, if not more.

eagles6606
02-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Give the Birds Everson Griffin, Nate Allen, and Brandon Ghee

killxswitch
02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Only bad Colts pick was a TE in the 3rd. The Colts have too many talented WRs to play much 2 TE. I like the 1st and am OK with the 2nd but would've liked to see some OL.

cjrugger
02-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Love the skins trade down to pick up a 3rd rounder, but I'm not a big fan of taking another DB. w/ the investment of Barnes and Tryon I think we need to see them sink or swim this year.

I'd rather Hardesty, an OLB, or yet another OL in that spot

djp
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
My understanding is that the Vikings run an atypical version of the ZBS in much of their offense, basically a zbs with power running sprinkled in, kind of a hybrid. Thats why I liked Johnson. He's a powerful strong guard but moves well with his feet. Hes really tough and honestly the 2nd best guard in the draft imo.

I actually read quite a bit on a couple different Vikings message boards and the consensus outside of the SWDC world is as much for a cb in the draft as a safety, if not more.

Johnson's not a bad fit at all, I don't mind that pick depending on the other players around him.

We do run the stretch play a ton, which is a zbs play. We're just not any good at it anymore.

Jakey
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Like that steelers mock! But i cant see us drafting a CB that early..depth at safety and nose tackle are probs more important right now. Love Spoon and Gerhart though :)

FlyingElvis
02-15-2010, 02:43 PM
ill let DUnit defend that one. When he made the pick I thought he might have missed that I already gave the Pats Benn but he was adamant that he thought the value was good and that the Pats better ready themselves for life without Randy Moss.
That's what I thought until I read the final line.

I think your right. With Benn, Williams, and D. Thomas on the board at 42, it would make more sense to take Spikes given at least 2 of those 3 WRs should be available with your next 2nd round selection. All three could be but I would think at least 1-2 would still be on the board.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I would love Benn at 42 but with all 3 WRs still available I think NE would take the chance that one of the 3 would still be there a few picks later. Spikes or Pouncey would fill major, immediate needs and be good value at 42. Then one of the WRs at 47.

Even if they were to take 2 WRs I think Gilyard would be the better option because the Pats return game is pretty weak without Ellis Hobbs. Gilyard would fill both roles and that's always a plus for BB.

_YL_
02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Like the first two picks for the Raiders.both fill needs.could live with Austin Lane but Carlton Mitchell where is he gonna play at the Raiders already have 3 young WR's.and the Raiders already have someone who is pretty just like Mitchell in Chaz but is more polished.Roger Saffold would be a better pick.

jriles0522
02-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Browns:

1) Bryan Bulaga
2) Morgan Burnett
3) Aaron Hernandez
3) Micah Johnson

Haven't seen Bulaga or Burnett to the Browns before, but the positional picks are right on. I haven't seen Burnett play much, but I can't complain.

Hernandez and Johnson are great in Rd. 3.

marshallb
02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
lol, Asher Allen didn't necessarily have a strong rookie season, but it wasn't unpromising either. He was hurt for a little bit and didn't really have a place right away. He played really well in the Pittsburgh game when called upon. To say that he can't be a solution opposite Griffin would be extremely obtuse at this point. He has shown nothing to classify him as a bust at all, and the 3rd or 4th was about where he was expected to be drafted.

Benny Sapp played great football this year and we'll be re-signing him according to Spielman. So that's 4 corners with guaranteed spots come week 1 next year. Griffin is right on schedule to be ready for week 1 after his ACL surgery as well.

Chad Jones is listed as Scott's 27th best player, so I don't really think it's outside the realm of possibility that he could go in the first round. I don't think we'll take him, but it's still an option.

Donovan Warren is a good player and could be a fit if he improves his angles in the run game, but I just don't know if we are going to spend a first rounder on a corner right now with guys like Navarro Bowman and Daryl Washington still on board. I truly think that we will go best player available minus WRs and RBs. Just don't think Warren is that guy.

I think it's more likely that we address corner in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

I agree with this almost entirely.

billsfootball15
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
giving Bowmann to the Bills in the second needs to stop. We r running a 34 next year and I have a really hard time seeing him in that scheme. Clausen is good in the first and Hillsdale is a good pick in the third but Bowmann = barf