PDA

View Full Version : If all else fails...

JK17
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Drafting at the 30 spot in the first round, AJ and the Chargers are in a tough position. It is a serious possibility that all the top WR's will already be off the board, and should any survive, they may not be a good fit for us (Personally, I feel as if a Jarret, or Bowe are still there, they are not the speedy compliment to other WR's we need). More concerning to me is the large possibility that Landry, Nelson, and Griffin will be off the board as well.

My question is, if that situation arises, what do you guys want to see AJ do? Draft another position, best available, maybe an ILB? Would you want to see the next best WR or a Merriweather, despite being a reach or discipline problems? Or would you like to see him try to make a move with the pick, either up or down?

bantx
03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
We dont need to waste a 1st round on a ilb, we need a franchise player.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
There is NO way on this earth that Landry or Nelson even come close to the the 30th pick, but Griffin is a possibility.

defensiveback23
03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
We do not have very many holes so I wouldn't be against a trade up.

sdpads24
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
We dont need to waste a 1st round on a ilb, we need a franchise player.

A franchise player? Are you kidding me? LT,Rivers,Gates,Merriman,Williams. That isn't enough? What we need is someone that can compliment all of those players and be a solid football player, not a boom/bust type of prospect. I can honestly see AJ trading out of the 30 spot, wheather it be up or down depending on how the draft is going.

bantx
03-14-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't know what it is but phillips isn't a QB i like. But yeah franchise player, we need more on defense other than merriman, who knows what he'll get into, i like him but he's bound to get into something else. Saying that we need a franchise player, preferably on defense. Thats just my opinion.

San Diego Chicken
03-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Drafting at the 30 spot in the first round, AJ and the Chargers are in a tough position. It is a serious possibility that all the top WR's will already be off the board, and should any survive, they may not be a good fit for us (Personally, I feel as if a Jarret, or Bowe are still there, they are not the speedy compliment to other WR's we need). More concerning to me is the large possibility that Landry, Nelson, and Griffin will be off the board as well.

My question is, if that situation arises, what do you guys want to see AJ do? Draft another position, best available, maybe an ILB? Would you want to see the next best WR or a Merriweather, despite being a reach or discipline problems? Or would you like to see him try to make a move with the pick, either up or down?

Thing is, safety and WR are deep enough this year to where a player who might be seen as a "reach" really could carry a first round grade. Hill and Meriweather come to mind. Meriweather had a first round grade until the brawl incident hurt him and put him in the second round, but time has healed his stock. He is small, but he's one of the best in the business in coverage. Hill is just underrated, he has the speed, size and feel for the position that you look for in a 1st round player. If he had more exposure at a bigger school, like say Santonio Holmes did in last year's draft, he'd also be looked at as a first round player by more people.

PhillyChargerFan
03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
I say Blalock, I'm ready to replace Goff and/or move Olivea inside.

JK17
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
There is NO way on this earth that Landry or Nelson even come close to the the 30th pick, but Griffin is a possibility.

Hence the reason I said they would be gone by the 30th pick...I see griffen coming off around the early 20's though.

BoltHype
03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
BPA. dont care about position. really want defense tho.

bergo23
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Blalock, Grubbs or Hill would be fine with me........then move up in the second to secure Weddle or Wendling. Even though Merriweather fits a huge need, he may be gone as well, if Griffin goes in the early 20's (Dallas) NE could take Merriweather.....but if he is there I would hope AJ would pull the trigger despite the PR hit, cuz his skills fit our needs perfectly..........worst case scenario is a future replacement for Goff, and if Blalock can handle tackle move Olivea inside when Goff leaves after next year. Hill should be there, and he fits AJ's preference for production and talent.....Cro was a non traditional AJ pick.

sdpads24
03-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I want the draft to go exactly how Scott Wright did it.

JK17
03-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I want the draft to go exactly how Scott Wright did it.

amen. i'd be a very happy man.

draftguru151
03-16-2007, 10:56 AM
That would be a pretty sick draft for you guys. If you could get Zac DeOssie or HB Blades in the 4th that would be crazy.

bergo23
03-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Looks like Curtis signing with the Iggles means they don't need Meachem so they go with Griffin........which means we don't get the safety we covet....and if it forces us to take Rouse, who is an in the box safety not c cover safety, we'd be screwed, much rather have Weddle or Merriweather, who have superior cover skills.

bantx
03-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Looks like Curtis signing with the Iggles means they don't need Meachem so they go with Griffin........which means we don't get the safety we covet....and if it forces us to take Rouse, who is an in the box safety not c cover safety, we'd be screwed, much rather have Weddle or Merriweather, who have superior cover skills.

I think we need to trade down.

ginpo
03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I think AJ has someone targeted (Nelson?) and if he happens to make it to a certain pick/spot then he'll attempt to move up. If not, BPA at 30.

JK17
03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Been thinking some more about this, and I want to see either a trade up to mid first, for a player like Nelson, or trade down to mid second for a guy like Hill and more picks...I dont think we can do anything(well, much) at 30 though, for good value.