PDA

View Full Version : This year's Marquis Colston? Easy...

PhinsRock
02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Danario Alexander. While he's obviously not as unknown as Colston was, he'll likely be draft in round 4 or 5, and he's an absolute steal for anybody that does snag him up.

His lack of ability to create seperation will keep him from winning coaches over in practice, at first, but eventually he will see the field and shine, IMO. The stats are ridiculous, and the highlights just as impressive.

I did not watch much Mizzou football this past season. Anybody have a more objective opinion?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDP19DFQjk&feature=fvst

ThePudge
02-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Danario Alexander. While he's obviously not as unknown as Colston was, he'll likely be draft in round 4 or 5, and he's an absolute steal for anybody that does snag him up.

His lack of ability to create seperation will keep him from winning coaches over in practice, at first, but eventually he will see the field and shine, IMO. The stats are ridiculous, and the highlights just as impressive.

I did not watch much Mizzou football this past season. Anybody have a more objective opinion?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDP19DFQjk&feature=fvst

He's not all quick or sudden and should struggle to find separation at the next level. The top concern on Alexander is the health of his knees, an issue that could leave Danario undrafted come April. After seeing him struggle at the Senior Bowl, I would say he's a Late Round guy with big time production in college.

FUNBUNCHER
02-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Marquis Colston isn't quick or sudden either, but he knows how to run routes, has excellent body control, his ability to adjust to the football is top notch and his hands are pure.

Danario Alexander's knee issues are no worse than Malcolm Kelly when he came out of OU, and Kelly never dominated at Oklahoma the way Alexander did this past season at Mizzou.

If he's cleared medically, the knee problems early in his career should not be a major negative for him.

Also, Alexander appears to much faster than Kelly or Colston and I would not be shocked if he cracks the 4.5 barrier predraft.

I like the sleeper comparison to Colston and think a team takes a chance on him no later than the 5th.

No way I see him as an UDFA unless he's currently injured and can't work out for teams.

So many WRs get drafted who don't put up half the #s of Alexander. He was the best WR in the Big 12 last season, I think he's going to pick up more interest as the draft nears.

Is he a combine invite??

EDIT: I have to admit, I didn't notice he was even at the Senior Bowl, so I don't have the most recent comparison for Danario against top competition.

SenorGato
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dwseBG1pN5E6/610x.jpg

Giantsfan1080
02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd have to say Seyi Ajirotutu.

ElectricEye
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I like Alexander, but I'm not as high as I was on him pre-Senior Bowl. I thought he would really flash there, but he looked fairly meh throughout the week. I love the height/athleticism/straightline speed(think he'll run 4.5) but he isn't sudden or quick, as was mentioned before. At the point in most routes that he's supposed to separate, he often times doesn't. Also, bigger wide receivers haven't had much success as of late. I'm optimistic, but not as much as I was before.

Addict
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Rembember all the talk about moving Colston to TE? Funny to reflect upon now. That said the fact that this guy is from a fairly big programme really doesn't allow him to have flown under anyone's radar. If he has some NFL ability, it'll be noticed. Colston played for Hofstra and just flew under the radar for many people. By definition, you won't see the next Colston coming. Like you won't see the next Brady coming.

Grizzlegom
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dwseBG1pN5E6/610x.jpg

seconded, i still don't know how scott had him ranked 29th before and still has him at 19. he's going to make someone VERY happy come draft day.

Shane P. Hallam
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Anyone who watched my Vlog knows that is my guy as well!

SenorGato
02-15-2010, 12:48 PM
seconded, i still don't know how scott had him ranked 29th before and still has him at 19. he's going to make someone VERY happy come draft day.

I feel that way about Oghobaase at 19 and Robinson at 21 amongst DTs.

Don't see how these guys fall that far just because of down senior years...they're clearly more talented than that.

SenorGato
02-15-2010, 12:49 PM

Anything more about this guy?

Nice size and decent speed...well built WR body....should I go to Hallam's vlog?

Addict
02-15-2010, 12:49 PM
the rankings usually don't chrystallize until the combine anyways. Scott usually is very thorough so I hardly expect him to really overlook anyone. Except Colston, who he overlooked.

Giantsfan1080
02-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Anyone who watched my Vlog knows that is my guy as well!

I actually haven't watched it yet but I'm glad we agree. Was he invited to the combine?

Giantsfan1080
02-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Anything more about this guy?

Nice size and decent speed...well built WR body....should I go to Hallam's vlog?

He uses his height really well in the air. He has good balance and goes and attacks the ball. He's a big target and plays physical which is what you want your WR's to do obviously but some don't. When I've seen him play the last 2 years I came away thinking why we didn't hear more about him. I haven't heard what Shane had to say about him yet though.

FrankGore
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
He uses his height really well in the air. He has good balance and goes and attacks the ball. He's a big target and plays physical which is what you want your WR's to do obviously but some don't. When I've seen him play the last 2 years I came away thinking why we didn't hear more about him. I haven't heard what Shane had to say about him yet though.

Fresno hasn't had much of a passing attack the last couple years, and even this year when Colburn was playing well, there were games where they essentially ignored the pass and just rammed it down teams' throats. That's what Pat Hill likes to do...so I'd say he could have definitely put up bigger numbers and made more of a name for himself, but he wasn't in the best position to do so.

Seyi is a solid athlete with great size, but his strength is tracking and bringing down the contested ball. He does seem to run a little hot and cold and wasn't a dominant player per se, but he definitely has skills that could translate to the next level. I dunno about being the next Colston though, he's on another level in my opinion.

Babylon
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
We are talking about a 7th round pick here right? I'd probably go with a Mike Williams (Syracuse) or a Kerry Meier (Kansas).

princefielder28
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
add me to the Seyi bandwagon...gonna be a good one

i think you could classify Alexander as a potential late round "sleeper" but to be the next Colston you need to be a little more obscure.

Thumper
02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Freddie Barnes out of BGSU is my guy

BaLLiN
02-15-2010, 02:01 PM
yeah freddie deserves consideration, he doesnt seem to posess the speed nor agility but gets it done regardless. In his bowl game he proved himself a legit nfl prospect

Shane P. Hallam
02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
yeah freddie deserves consideration, he doesnt seem to posess the speed nor agility but gets it done regardless. In his bowl game he proved himself a legit nfl prospect

And then didn't get a combine invite...

PhinsRock
02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Any highlights on Seyi Ajirotutu?

Can't say I have heard much about him.

BaLLiN
02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
And then didn't get a combine invite...

which will increase the obscurity necessary to be a marques colston like surprise i guess

thetedginnshow
02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
I'll just say Blair White since he hasn't been talked about yet.

PhinsRock
02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Blair White has been all the rage so far after the Sr. Bowl...

batsandgats
02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I'll just say Blair White since he hasn't been talked about yet.

Blair White will be a steal if he goes late in the draft, but hes not like Marques Colston. Hes very quick though and runs in the 4.4 -4.5 range, great route runner with great hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhd7nvwEXWA

wicket
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Marcus Easley, says enough about the decline of the big east that he is below the radar though

princefielder28
02-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Marcus Easley, says enough about the decline of the big east that he is below the radar though

Marcus has some pretty shaky hands and outside of his speed, there's really very little to work with...a one year wonder

TitansCJftw
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
how about terrell hudgins from elon?

princefielder28
02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
how about terrell hudgins from elon?

Hudgins doesn't quite have the size of a Colston and is a tad slower too...I think he'll have to beef up a bit and play some H-back in the NFL if he wants to make a roster at all.

wicket
02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Marcus has some pretty shaky hands and outside of his speed, there's really very little to work with...a one year wonder

like his character and his waggle, hands will improve, guy shouldve been a corner/free safety though, would be awesome there, but its a bit late for a position swap

sbh15
02-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Hudgins doesn't quite have the size of a Colston and is a tad slower too...I think he'll have to beef up a bit and play some H-back in the NFL if he wants to make a roster at all.

Of course T-Hudge will make it in the NFL.

Who can fail with the nickname "Shakespeare"
(because all he does is make plays, insert instant rim shot link here)

TitansCJftw
02-15-2010, 05:01 PM

true he is a little shorter, and a little lighter but besides that basically arent the things you're saying the same things they were saying about colston? in the context of 7th round/free agent guys who are large and from a small school with a somewhat similar game to colston and most are saying he needs to beef and be a te/hback like they said about colston I'd say terrell hudgins is the guy, obviously i dont think he is going to be the next colston but as far as something close/similar to what to what colston was who did what nobody thought he could eh i dunno

TACKLE
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Danario Alexander = Maurice Stovall

Saints-Tigers
02-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Colston made a remarkable turnaround between training camp and the first game of the season in his rookie year.

He is still tight end like, he lines up a lot in the slot and he's outstanding at picking holes in zone coverage. He works so well because Brees can put the ball in spots where only he can get to it, and his hands are awesome.

That said, Colston has deceptive deep speed and ability to make plays downfield, can the other guys translate that into the NFL like that?(He has two 86 yarders as a rookie, two 70 yarders, and a 68 yarder, and that's just his high from each year)

thetedginnshow
02-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Blair White will be a steal if he goes late in the draft, but hes not like Marques Colston. Hes very quick though and runs in the 4.4 -4.5 range, great route runner with great hands.

My bad. I didn't know we were trying to compare someone to Colston. I thought this was just about a late round steal.

Shane P. Hallam
02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
My bad. I didn't know we were trying to compare someone to Colston. I thought this was just about a late round steal.

It was, bats was just being mean.

JayNasty
02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Terrell Hudgins
College: Elon
6-2 236

First Team FCS All-American
NCAA Division I all-time leader in receiving yards (5,250) and receptions (395)

2009 STATS
123 rec 1,633 yds 16 tds

Cicero
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Alexander is too slow changing directions. I don't see him really doing anything in the NFL.

batsandgats
02-16-2010, 01:49 AM
It was, bats was just being mean.

I wasn't being mean, dont know where you got that idea from, I was agreeing with the guy about Blair White being good. I am a Saints fan who loves Colston and misread what the thread is about, so I am the one who got the thread wrong. There were quite a few posts comparing Hudgins (who I haven't seen) to Colston.

Blair White will be a steal if he goes late in the draft. He went from walk on to all conference. He looks good in this youtube footage

He shows that he can be a good slot receiver going across the middle, moving the chaings etc, but he also shows he can play on the outside and has the ability to stretch the field ,has the speed to burn some dbs on the outside.

jkb528
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Terrell Hudgins
College: Elon
6-2 236

First Team FCS All-American
NCAA Division I all-time leader in receiving yards (5,250) and receptions (395)

2009 STATS
123 rec 1,633 yds 16 tds

I'm a senior at Elon, so I've gotten to watch Hudgins the last four years. He has been totally dominant here, but I have no idea how that'll translate to the NFL game, with such a big leap in competition. It seems like his game might translate - very physical with great hands - but I have heard that he has questionable work ethic, so who knows...

no bare feet
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
David Ball, o wait

billsfootball15
02-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Its all about Naaman Roosevelt!!!

BeerBaron
02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I thought this was going to be about Demaryius Thomas. Dude put up over 1000 yards at 25.1 YPC in a triple option. Plus you know he has to be a better blocker than most other receivers are coming in.

I could defintiely see him as a mid-late rounder who gets some playing time as a rookie and tears it up. Unless he raises his stock in workouts and moves into the first few rounds....then he'll just be good for someone.

tjsunstein
02-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Kelton Tindall, Newberry.

SenorGato
02-17-2010, 06:35 PM
+1 on Blair White. I'm hoping the Jets pick him up in the 6th or 7th for the slot. Really good player and Michigan State is a school I'd trust...if that makes sense. Good player too...

KennyPowers
02-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Alexander needs surgery on his knee and he will be out till training camp. This will surly drop his stock.

RealityCheck
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Oluseyi Ajirotutuuuuuuuuuuuu

FrankGore
02-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm with everyone on Blair White. I think he could be a solid #2 for someone, he's a very nice athlete with natural game. I think he's more of a starter than a jitterbug type slot guy.

PhinsRock
02-19-2010, 02:38 AM
The injury certainly hurts for Alexander.

Where do you think the kid falls to? 6th or 7th round??

BrabbitMcRabbit
02-19-2010, 03:38 AM
Definitely Freddie Barnes.