PDA

View Full Version : Clausen not participating in Combine Drills

steelcrew43
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
thoughts on this ? as from someone who isnt sold on clausen does this hurt his draft stock?

wicket
02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
was already a given. as long as he will be able to throw before draft day (which he will) he will be okay.

Havok69
02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
It's lame, but expected.

Addict
02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
no surprise. He can cruise on his reputation and on his Pro Day. I think he's pretty confident about the Snyder love?

vikes_28
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
There's that attitude poppin up again.

descendency
02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
It's to give himself time to heal. It has nothing to do with his attitude.

Is Bradford throwing at the combine? Why not question his attitude?

edit: Combine reps are pointless. There is no pressure, no contact. Nothing that would cause a QB to make a bad throw. They should be taken with a grain of salt.

Nalej
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
It's to give himself time to heal. It has nothing to do with his attitude.

Is Bradford throwing at the combine? Why not question his attitude?

edit: Combine reps are pointless. There is no pressure, no contact. Nothing that would cause a QB to make a bad throw. They should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm sure that was sarcasm. He wasn't serious about the attitude

descendency
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm sure that was sarcasm.

No real indication of it. Lots of people seriously believe Clausen has attitude issues.

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Still recovering from that injury. Not surprising. No big deal though, not many top quarterbacks throw at the combine these days anyway. They all wait so they can put on a show in their pro day. Guarantee we hear some really positive things after his pro day too. He has the type of pedigree that will let him light up something like that.

Brothgar
02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Smart move but not what I would like to see. Although I for one think that he has something to prove.

Addict
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Still recovering from that injury. Not surprising. No big deal though, not many top quarterbacks throw at the combine these days anyway. They all wait so they can put on a show in their pro day. Guarantee we hear some really positive things after his pro day too. He has the type of pedigree that will let him light up something like that.

the ones who go usually are the challengers though. Sanchez went last year, Cutler went in his year. Flacco went. Seems Clausen fancies himself the top guy.

Halsey
02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Every year some fans overreact when top QB's don't participate in one part of the pre-Draft process or another.

They did when Matt Ryan didn't throw at the combine:
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/02/23/hell_leave_them_wanting_more/

They did when Stafford didn't throw at the combine:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/lions_will_have_to_wait_to_see.html

and so on...

touchdownrams
02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Still recovering, it makes no sense for him to try and throw now. All he needs to do is get his measurements, medical check-up (let the teams see how he is coming along), and do the team interviews. They have seen him throw on tape, it'll be more important for him to impress teams in the interviews and squash the rumors about his poor attitude.

He should be healthy enough to throw before the draft, and that should be just fine.

Addict
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Every year some fans overreact when top QB's don't participate in one part of the pre-Draft process or another.

They did when Matt Ryan didn't throw at the combine:
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/02/23/hell_leave_them_wanting_more/

They did when Stafford didn't throw at the combine:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/lions_will_have_to_wait_to_see.html

and so on...

I don't think anyone in the thread has been anything short of understanding.

And it's worth noting that Stafford and Ryan were #1, no questions asked. They had absolutely nothing at all to win and everything to lose by throwing at the combine. For Clausen he could either prove himself #1 or solidify himself as #1, depending on what you think of him. Thing is that Clausen's status isn't nearly as certain as Ryan and Stafford.

wicket
02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
clausen is also legitimately injured so its not like he had a choice

Grizzlegom
02-19-2010, 05:55 AM
word is Bradford isn't participating either now. I think its a mistake for both of them unless they really aren't ready to go physically, in which case i'd be wary of taking either in the top ten...

LizardState
02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't think Bradley is throwing either.

This could cost him. he's under a microscope now, even more closely watched than a top tier ND QB will normally be. Maybe he really is paranoid about his ability to answer the nagging questions about his ability to make all the throws & his arm strength, the pundits will focus on his downside instead of his upside.

Now he has to shine on his Pro Day or drop in the 1st rd.

ElectricEye
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't think anyone in the thread has been anything short of understanding.

And it's worth noting that Stafford and Ryan were #1, no questions asked. They had absolutely nothing at all to win and everything to lose by throwing at the combine. For Clausen he could either prove himself #1 or solidify himself as #1, depending on what you think of him. Thing is that Clausen's status isn't nearly as certain as Ryan and Stafford.

Think you're reading too much into it. He's hurt. Wouldn't be doing himself any favors throwing on a bum foot, especially if he has problems planting. There's nothing he can do at the combine he can't do at his pro day anyway.