PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas breaks foot

FrankGore
02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35448879/ns/sports-player_news/

Sounds like it will only keep him out of the testing period, but obviously it won't help his stock. Where does he go now?

regoob2
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Should still go in the 2nd.

ThePudge
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Sounds like it will only keep him out of the testing period, but obviously it won't help his stock. Where does he go now?

This one hurts a lot for Thomas, as there was a big question about his straight-line speed, feet, and ability to separate. He's a very raw prospect coming out of Georgia Tech's offense. Huge guy, plays bigger than he is, great blocker, a downfield threat and he looks like a good athlete on film. He's not particularly smooth though and he has not been exposed to a full route tree. I personally would look for him to go between 50-65 in April. He had a chance to potentially surprise/shine at the Combine and had a 1st Round shot. Definitely a hit here even if the injury won't bother him in minicamp/training camp.

Babylon

Not sure where they're getting top 32 pick. I think because he played in a system that isnt kind to WRs he had a lot to prove leading up to the draft and this is going to all but kill that chance. You probably have two guys now in him and Decker that cant workout but could be steals for someone a round or two later than expected.

ElectricEye
Actually, I think this really sucks for him. Might drop him down a round. Timed speed was going to either give him a huge boost or shoot him down a bit.

Nalej
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
damn... this sucks

Primetime21
02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Can anyone see him being a Dwayne Jarret/Mike Williams for Pete Carroll and Jeremy Bates?(OC for Denver when Cutler and B-Marsh looked like Young to Rice)

D-Unit
02-17-2010, 07:02 PM
4th round or later wouldn't surprise me now.

Babylon
02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Can anyone see him being a Dwayne Jarret/Mike Williams for Pete Carroll and Jeremy Bates?(OC for Denver when Cutler and B-Marsh looked like Young to Rice)

You'd like to think a better comparison would be a Vincent Jackson of the Chargers but without answering the speed question this injury cant be a good thing.

ThePudge
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM

I wouldn't be shocked either. He's one who I could see dropping to the early-mid fourth.

essential
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM

There is already speculation on Bills message boards that if Thomas makes it to the 3rd Gailey would take him.

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 07:07 PM
You'd like to think a better comparison would be a Vincent Jackson of the Chargers but without answering the speed question this injury cant be a good thing.

To me, in the NFL, an Anquan Boldin type. Maybe even a poor mans Terrell Owens(type of player. Obviously not going to call him being that productive. Not insane). That's the high end for him. The floor, however, is very low. Testing was HUGE for him. Honestly thought he was going to run 4.4 something and shoot up a lot of boards.

Babylon
02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
To me, in the NFL, an Anquan Boldin type. Maybe even a poor mans Terrell Owens(type of player. Obviously not going to call him being that productive. Not insane). That's the high end for him. The floor, however, is very low. Testing was HUGE for him. Honestly thought he was going to run 4.4 something and shoot up a lot of boards.

I know you're charitable with the 40 times but i dont see him near that time. I do like the size and blocking ability, top shelf there.

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm not that generous with 40 times(Brandon Spikes will run 4.8 ;)), I don't think. I have this thing where I fall in love with big college receivers though. I'm learning, but Thomas I'm pretty sure is legit. Realistically, I think he could have run low 4.5, which isn't that far off the 4.55 Scott has. 4.45+ is possible for him though, IMO. He beat corners and safeties multiple times this year with his speed. The one thing that makes it tough to judge is that he was pretty much singled all day. Rarely do you see a guy get doubled in college that much, but it's pretty much just single man safety deep with go routes for him all day. Hasn't had to deal with complex coverage schemes, not last year anyway.

murdamal86
02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=664

France did confirm that Thomas had run a 4.38 forty last week after weighing in at 227-pounds. France tolud us the run was filmed and every NFL team would receive a copy. More later this evening.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/unstoppable35/bron.gif

Scotty D
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
I'd like him in the third for the Lions.

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=664

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/unstoppable35/bron.gif
That's actually fairly good news. It was taped, so essentially it's a pro-day run without the drills. Does suck that we didn't get to see that at the combine. If the injury in minor enough, maybe he'll get something in before the draft(although running a bum 40 on a bum foot might not help.)

thetedginnshow
02-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Hooray! Jets in the 4th!

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 08:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/02/17/thomas/

SI says it was a verified(whatever that means) 4.38, so I hit on one guy who I thought would run faster than expected :)

Shane P. Hallam
02-17-2010, 08:01 PM

SI says it was a verified(whatever that means) 4.38, so I hit on one guy who I thought would run faster than expected :)

The 4.38 means no more than a pro day number, and probably not even that.

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
The 4.38 means no more than a pro day number, and probably not even that.

I was mostly kidding. Very few people think Patrick Robinson will run 4.2 like FSU claims(forget what it was exactly). But a lot of people believe he can run 4.3. It's a frame of reference at the least.

JRTPlaya21
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Noooooooooooooooo not Bebe!!

TACKLE
02-17-2010, 08:10 PM
This one hurts a lot for Thomas, as there was a big question about his straight-line speed, feet, and ability to separate. He's a very raw prospect coming out of Georgia Tech's offense. Huge guy, plays bigger than he is, great blocker, a downfield threat and he looks like a good athlete on film. He's not particularly smooth though and he has not been exposed to a full route tree. I personally would look for him to go between 50-65 in April. He had a chance to potentially surprise/shine at the Combine and had a 1st Round shot. Definitely a hit here even if the injury won't bother him in minicamp/training camp.

This.

Also, I think Bey Bey has a lot better speed than people realize. Too bad he won't get a chance to prove it. Check out the straight line speed here against a SEC defense. Very impressive. Personally, he's my #3 WR but this injury will hurt his stock because teams will not get to see him run NFL routes.

Starts at 0:27....That's some serious speed for a guy who's 230.
Maf0y1s5i7Q

RaiderNation
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I have him as a late 2nd guy, this should push him back even more and might end up being a 3rd or 4th

LonghornsLegend
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
He reminded me of Anquan Boldin ever since I saw him play, and not even a poor mans version was definately one of my WR prospects to watch this off-season. I'm talking Boldin at FSU though not the beast he turned into in the NFL.

Somebody may have to take a risk on him not knowing his timed speed, but big physical WR's if they pan out you get a Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, or Boldin, I don't think that's a huge gamble in the 4th at all.

bored of education
02-17-2010, 08:52 PM

What do I have to do for you to hit on me?

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
What do I have to do for you to hit on me?

Convincing the Chiefs to trade us Jamaal Charles for a third would be a start.

bored of education
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Hm, we will talk at a later date. Dinner and a drink? ;)

ElectricEye
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Hm, we will talk at a later date. Dinner and a drink? ;)

Sounds like a damn good time. We wear our Jerry Hughes jerseys ;)

Seriously though, that video is impressive. He flatout outran the entire Georiga secondary. Not the fastest team in the world, but still. Took away all the angles they had on him with sheer getup and go.

BeerBaron
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Someone's getting a steal if that's the case.

bucfan12
02-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Even if the tape shows that Demaryous Thomas did run a 4.38, only the questions about his speed will be answered. I never questioned that part of his game as I new he was fast and was very physical.

However, what scouts won't get to see is how well he runs NFL routes. I think he can be coached and definately can improve the route tree, but, I don't think he will be a 1st round pick. I think right now, he could still go anywhere from the mid-2nd to early -mid 3rd. Don't think he lasts that long in the 3rd, if he makes it. If tampa doesn't land Dez Bryant, then I hope they grab him at 35 or 42, but I still think he is going to be one heck of a player in the NFL.

As a Bucs fan who really would like to see him in pewter next year, I am pretty happy he will not be working out and gives my Bucs a chance at him in round 2. But, I really feel for this kid, as he had a chance to make some money and jump up into the mid to late 1st round to a team like Cincy, or Baltimore.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-18-2010, 02:29 AM
This is going to hurt Thomas. If he had done the full combine load, managed to run a 4.40 or better, showed some aptitude for running routes, and tacked on a good pro day outing, I think he could have been the second wide receiver off the board. As it stands, his tape is among the least informative of any wide receiver I can remember and it does nothing to help him if that's all scouts have to go on.

I agree that the 4th round isn't out of the question, but I think a team will pull the trigger before then simply based on his potential.

ElectricEye
02-18-2010, 02:54 AM
The thing I really want to see is him in and out of his cuts. We know he has speed and that he can be physical and bully smaller corners. What we don't know is if he can be an effective route runner. That's the major concern with him. Either way, he will need some coaching for sure, but he's not just physical tools either.

irishbucsfan
02-18-2010, 05:50 AM
I want this guy on the Bucs so badly. If we got him with our high 3rd rounder I'd be fine with it. And if his stock recovers a little before April, using our 2b on him isn't something I'd be upset about either.

wicket
02-18-2010, 07:05 AM
This.

Also, I think Bey Bey has a lot better speed than people realize. Too bad he won't get a chance to prove it. Check out the straight line speed here against a SEC defense. Very impressive. Personally, he's my #3 WR but this injury will hurt his stock because teams will not get to see him run NFL routes.

Starts at 0:27....That's some serious speed for a guy who's 230.
Maf0y1s5i7Q

Reshad Jones was quicker than him on that clip, just a little quicker but quicker nevertheless

SenorGato
02-18-2010, 07:57 AM
One of 3 WRs I'd love in the first round if and only if that 4.38 thing is true...Bryant (no chance), Williams (maybe?), and Thomas (:drool:)...

Babylon
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
One of 3 WRs I'd love in the first round if and only if that 4.38 thing is true...Bryant (no chance), Williams (maybe?), and Thomas (:drool:)...

Watching as much of him as i can find i think that speed is way too optimistic, i'd put him around 4.5 and i think Electric Eye was pretty accurate with his Anquan Boldin comparison.

My top 8 (1st two rounds) would be:

Bryant
Benn
Lafell
Cooper
Thomas
Gilyard
Williams
Decker

Brown Leader
02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Watching as much of him as i can find i think that speed is way too optimistic, i'd put him around 4.5 and i think Electric Eye was pretty accurate with his Anquan Boldin comparison.

Bryant
Benn
Lafell
Cooper
Thomas
Gilyard
Williams
Decker

.....really?

Babylon
02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
.....really?

Really. He's probably the fastest of that field and he's 6-3 and 215. I expect a Matt Jones type rise from him after the combine. He had to wait on a lot of balls in college so i think he'll be a better pro.

FlyingElvis
02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Bummer - hate to see these horribly timed injuries.

Another injured WR to NE, maybe? Round 4 just got more interesting for me. Blount, Thomas, Oghobaase, Ford . . .

Awesome work EE. Bait and switch . . . since we have no 3rd we can then push it to a 4th & Maroney. :D

RealityCheck
02-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Another injured WR to NE, maybe? Round 4 just got more interesting for me. Blount, Thomas, Oghobaase, Ford . . .

Awesome work EE. Bait and switch . . . since we have no 3rd we can then push it to a 4th & Maroney. :D
No, we gotta keep Maroney.

He'll still get picked on the 3rd anyway.

wicket
02-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Bryant
Benn
Lafell
Cooper
Thomas
Gilyard
Williams
Decker

Golden Tate is sad

ElectricEye
02-18-2010, 01:22 PM

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6510/fumbletime.jpg

I try.

Babylon
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Golden Tate is sad

He's right in the middle there, at my age i'm lucky to remember my name sometimes.