PDA

View Full Version : Small School

frubulubu
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
looking at Mr. Scott's rankings, I see many small school prospects in his list. School's like: Fordham, Ashland, wayne st., N. Dakota St, S Methodist, Norfolk St, UC Davis, Newberry, Youngstown, and etc. Which player would you be happy to see your team draft, or simply think will be a great pro? I like joique Bell, from Wayne St, and Myles Burnside from NW Missouri St.

TheRubberDuck45
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Homer picks here... Preston Parker, Mico McSwain, and Micheal Johnson all of The University of North Alabama. Parker and McSwain at WR, and Johnson at linebacker. Johnson was D2 defensive player of the year. Absolute monster.

Grizzlegom
02-19-2010, 09:01 AM
There are a lot of small school sleepers that I'm pretty high on. Here are some of the guys that I haven't seen get a lot of mention or publicity in particular:

Brian Babin, QB, Southeast Louisiana - has prototypical size and a strong arm. needs some work with his mechanics (holds the ball too low and has to show he can take a snap under center) but he's got good footwork and under-rated athleticism. Throws well on the run. Definitely has all the tools and deserves a shot.

Paul Jasinowski, OT, Brown - Two time Unanimous All-Ivy League, and second team Academic All-American, LT from Brown has good size at 6-5 285 and has room to add some weight. He led an offensive line that only gave up 7 sacks all season and anchored the top Ivy League's offensive line for 4 years. He was recruited by some bigger schools out of high school (Boston College, Duke, Maryland) but chose Brown because of his academic prowess. Has good feet and agility and has the athletic ability to play in a zone blocking scheme but could also bulk up and play in a power run game as well.

Terrence Johnson, CB, California (PA) - Akwasi-Owusu Ansah is the small school CB from PA thats getting all the press and pub but Terrence Johnson played just as well this season. A different kind of player, Johnson is more of a small speedy corner that can run with anyone but he has legit 4.3 speed and was a true shutdown corner on his level. He also had 16 interceptions in his career and also contributed in the return game.

Shann Schillinger, S, Montana - Montana has been an FCS powerhouse the past 10 years and their prospects are often overlooked. Schill is rangy FS with good size (6' 200 lbs) and speed (porbably will run around 4.45) with good ball skills but he is also a willing and able tackler as evidenced by his team leading 108 tackles in 2008 as well as leading the team in tackles and interceptions this year.

Mitch Unrein, DE, Wyoming - Unrein played DE in a 3-4 at Wyoming and performed extremely well. He has good size at 6-4 275 and has been All Mountain west honorable mention for three straight years. He is a high-motor guy that plays the run extremely well and has a decent bull rush move. He is a blue collar type of player that often goes overlooked but could make it in the NFL as a two down run stuffer at left defensive end in a 4-3. Stripped Ryan Mathews in the New Mexico Bowl to seal the victory for Wyoming and went out with a bang.

Tom Mante, P/K, Yale – In a year where there aren’t really any punters or kickers that jump out at you, Mante has just as good a shot as anyone to get drafted. As evidenced by him being a two time unanimous All-Ivy League Punter as well as a second team All-Ivy League kicker, Mante has been one of the best special teams players in the Ivy league the past few years. Averaged 41.2 yards per punt and had a career field goal long of 54. Not overly accurate as a kicker but was a good precision punter. His strong kickoff leg would make him an asset to someone that could allow him to play a role similar to Pat McAfee does for the Colts.

RealityCheck
02-19-2010, 09:09 AM
^ Wyoming isn't a small school.

John Skelton, QB, Fordham - I've been saying this for months, he'll pull a Joe Flacco and go in the 1st. Perfect size and strong arm.

Matt Nichols, QB and Nathan Overbay, TE, both from Eastern Washington - Just see. Both guys are the typical small school prospects that are worth a look.

Grizzlegom
02-19-2010, 09:24 AM
^ Wyoming isn't a small school.

John Skelton, QB, Fordham - I've been saying this for months, he'll pull a Joe Flacco and go in the 1st. Perfect size and strong arm.

Matt Nichols, QB and Nathan Overbay, TE, both from Eastern Washington - Just see. Both guys are the typical small school prospects that are worth a look.

Yea i guess Wyoming is in the Mountain West so its not a really small school but I usually consider anyone from a non-major BCS conference as guys that are still 'smaller' school guys since they usually don't get as much pub. perhaps i just got carried away talking about guys that i like as sleepers haha

HawkeyeFan
02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
If I had to chose any, it'd be the QB from Fordham... and why you ask? Because the first owners of the Rams were Fordham Rams fans, and that's where they got the Rams name and logo.

Thanks Madden 2009!

GoRavens
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
John Skelton, QB, Fordham - I've been saying this for months, he'll pull a Joe Flacco and go in the 1st.

There is no way in hell Skelton goes in the first round.
-_____-

Grizzlegom
02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
There is no way in hell Skelton goes in the first round.
-_____-

I second that, I know i'm in the minority here but i still question everyone having him going in round 5. I understand he's a small school guy with all the tools but he's got a LONG way to go if he's ever going to play in the NFL, i think he's a major project and if someone takes him before round 6 i think they'll regret it....