PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Cody is a top 15 pick.

SenorGato
02-17-2010, 10:12 PM
He's a 6'4 370 pound SEC DT who anchored a legitimately awesome college defense.

Also helping him:

- He's a good kid. Doesn't really F with anybody.

- He's fat, but he's good. He's also lost 60 pounds in the past 2 years. He's not exactly not working.

- He's really athletic. Love the fact that they used him at FB on offense.

- Once he's drafted, he's working out with NFL training.

The guy's going to be a beast, and might impress earlier than McCoy in his career...if anyone finds that significant.

Very underrated player right now...don't see him lasting to the 2nd round. If he fell to 29...well he wouldn't get to 30.

LookItsAlDavis
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
He's a 6'4 370 pound SEC DT who anchored a legitimately awesome college defense.

Also helping him:

- He's a good kid. Doesn't really F with anybody.

- He's fat, but he's good. He's also lost 60 pounds in the past 2 years. He's not exactly not working.

- He's really athletic. Love the fact that they used him at FB on offense.

- Once he's drafted, he's working out with NFL training.

The guy's going to be a beast, and might impress earlier than McCoy in his career...if anyone finds that significant.

Very underrated player right now...don't see him lasting to the 2nd round. If he fell to 29...well he wouldn't get to 30.

I bet Miami has him rated pretty highly...

BeerBaron
02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
He's probably the 2nd most hard to peg prospect in this draft after Tebow. Some people absolutely love him and think he could be an elite NT and a top 15 pick, while others wouldn't touch this guy until the 2nd round at the earliest as a two down run stuffer.

I personally think that the Dolphins' pick in the first round is a little higher than I would take him...he'd be a slight reach there imo. I feel like his value is late in the first round....maybe the Cowboys or someone around there.

And that's if you view him as a 3-4 NT, which some people don't...very hard to tell where he will go.

RaiderNation
02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
If he comes into the combine at around 340lbs maybe. IDK I wouldnt draft a NFL player who weighs 370lbs at what 22 or 23 years old? Most NT's come in around 320-330.

SenorGato
02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
While Suh may be the best DT prospect since Ngata, Cody might be the most interesting. I think he's more than a 2 down run stuffer, especially once an NFL trainer gets to him. He's too young to limit to that role. He might play that early in his career, and that's perfectly fine.

Dolphins spot is perfect for him...Langford - Cody - Starks would be a pretty beast DL. I'd be pretty jealous.

How often and far does a huge DT from a big school in the SEC fall? It just seems so unlikely.

It's impossible for him to go into the combine at 340. It is possible for him to get down to 360 or 355 for the season.

Whistler6
02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Are we talking UFL?

descendency
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
His problem is that people with weight problems like he has tend to eat themselves out of the league before they succeed.

bored of education
02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
I could start threads about 28 players an why they should be top 15 picks.

SenorGato
02-17-2010, 10:53 PM
I could start threads about 28 players an why they should be top 15 picks.

Yea, but most of them aren't as good or projectable as Cody is. There's few things more valuable or long lasting than a DT anchor for a DL.

There's also guys with weight problems who don't eat themselves out guys. That's why we look at these guys on an individual level. Technically speaking, most guys in the NFL have a weight problem.

yourfavestoner
02-17-2010, 10:56 PM
A lot of it will depend on how he measures in at the combine.

His bench press number is going to matter. A lot. If he comes in and is unimpressive on the bench, teams will assume he got by simply by being bigger than everybody else. If he comes in and puts up a gang of reps, you'll see his stock soar.

People forget that Ted Washington and Sam Adams played a lot of their careers at around 400. In normal years, I'd say that he'd be a late first/second rounder, but you've gotta take everything into account. The 3-4 is just as prevalent as the 4-3 these days and a number of old guard 3-4 NTs getting old and will need to be replaced.

If the Patriots let Wilfork walk, I don't think there's any way he gets past them at 22. The NT is too valuable to Belichick's defense.

descendency
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
There's few things more valuable or long lasting than a DT anchor for a DL.

Franchise QB
LT
RDE
Shutdown CB

And then it can vary from scheme to scheme how important a NT is. Even less valuable is an UT in my opinion.

BeerBaron
02-17-2010, 11:01 PM
His bench press number is going to matter. A lot. If he comes in and is unimpressive on the bench, teams will assume he got by simply by being bigger than everybody else. If he comes in and puts up a gang of reps, you'll see his stock soar.

I think the bench isn't the best way of looking at it here....I don't know how his arm length checks out but traditionally, guys with longer arms struggle a bit with it even if they are stronger than some of the other guys with shorter arms.

yourfavestoner
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I think the bench isn't the best way of looking at it here....I don't know how his arm length checks out but traditionally, guys with longer arms struggle a bit with it even if they are stronger than some of the other guys with shorter arms.

I know, but it's the only measurable test they'll have to see if his football strength correlates with his weight room strength. If he doesn't test well, teams will think he simply got by by being bigger than everybody else.

batsandgats
02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
the next johnathan sullivan

wordofi
02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
If he comes into the combine at around 340lbs maybe. IDK I wouldnt draft a NFL player who weighs 370lbs at what 22 or 23 years old? Most NT's come in around 320-330.

If she shows up to the combine at 340 lbs., I'll give you +rep because it's not going to happen. Even if it does, he'll just put it back on.

yourfavestoner
02-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Now that I think about it, I don't think he'll get past the Patriots, period - even if they do tag Wilfork. They'll groom Cody for a year behind him and let him walk after the tag expires.

CC.SD
02-17-2010, 11:59 PM
I hope not I would probably still take him at 28.

ElectricEye
02-18-2010, 12:09 AM
I really hope we just lock up Wilfork long term. BB does seem to have a thing for Cody's man titties though.

Crickett
02-18-2010, 12:21 AM
The thing about Cody is I think he can be a long term solution for some team at 3-4 NT. I heard the same two down run stuffer argument about Pat Williams when the Vikings signed him and that's worked out pretty well for them. As for where he should be drafted, I don't know. I mean, I thought Alan Branch was going to be a top 15 pick. :(

San Diego Chicken
02-18-2010, 12:28 AM
I hope not I would probably still take him at 28.

I wouldn't take him ahead of Odrick, Williams or Price for San Diego. He's strictly a two down player in the NFL. Our defense needs a full time starter at DL.

Texas Homer
02-18-2010, 01:27 AM
I think he is a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

villagewarrior
02-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Cody will need to work extremely hard all the time constantly to be an effective player. He'll get worn down, be a 1-2 down player and be a total non-factor by the 4th quarter. I hope the Chiefs stay far far away from him. Also, I may be in the minority, but I was very unimpressed with him at Alabama, where he wasn't even the best defensive lineman on his team.

Scotty D
02-18-2010, 02:23 AM
I'm a fan of Terrence Cody. When he flashes it reminds me of how Shaun Rogers used to take over games when he tried for the Lions.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Cody has done absolutely nothing to affect the perception of him being, at best, a 2-down player (which is itself a pretty positive assessment; there were games last season where Cody basically sat out whole possessions).

Cody can be a dominant defensive tackle, he showed as much at the Senior Bowl when working against the better interior lineman in this draft. That said, if he's going to have a hard time playing full effort most of the time or if the ceiling for his playing time is going to hover somewhere around half of your defensive plays, he's barely worth a top 60 pick, much less a top 15 pick.

Abaddon
02-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Terrence Cody is a top 15 pick.

lolno

Just can't see it.

niel89
02-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Eating his way out of the league is a real possibility. I know people like to say that with NFL trainers he should be able to get his weight down, but its not like Alabama has a terrible staff. His weight is something that is always going to be an issue. He hasn't proved that he can be a full time player at this point so I don't know how he can be a top 15 player.

Will he make the full time commitment to losing weight in order to be a impact play? We will see. Losing the weight for the combine will be a really telling sign.

SenorGato
02-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Eating his way out of the league is a real possibility. I know people like to say that with NFL trainers he should be able to get his weight down, but its not like Alabama has a terrible staff. His weight is something that is always going to be an issue. He hasn't proved that he can be a full time player at this point so I don't know how he can be a top 15 player.

Will he make the full time commitment to losing weight in order to be a impact play? We will see. Losing the weight for the combine will be a really telling sign.

He lost 60 pounds in the past 2 years with that staff, so they really aren't.

You know, since Cody's starting playing upper level football he's actually lost weight...Don't know why he's being accused of eating himself out of the league when he's shown no signs of being some slob who just happens to be useful on a football field. If anything, he's a football player who just happens to be huge...He's being generalized way too much based on his size...If there were multiple reports of him (going back, not just now) of him being lazy or not trying, THEN I'd be low on him....But a Saban coached, SEC trained DT who can play in either a 3-4 or 4-3? F yeah...

FUNBUNCHER
02-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Cody showed up at Alabama weighing over 4 bills. If he's 370# now, I suspect in 4 years he be back up to 390-400 again.
Double teams are going to neutralize Cody in the NFL, who doesn't have the greatest lateral agility to begin with. He's not BJ Raji, a young NT who is disruptive and athletic enough to be a force in either a 43 or 34 D.

There's a place for Cody in the NFL, but he has NO value being selected in the top 15.
You don't pick just 'starters' in the top 20; those guys are expected to be game-changing type athletes, not someone who can't do much more than occupy blockers. If Cody is going to struggle to penetrate the LOS off the snap, which he will, he's not a top 15 pick as a nose-tackle.

GoRavens
02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Not a top 15 pick at all.
He's fat, and won't be able to compete with athletic bigmen in the NFL.
He's lazy, and I wouldn't touch him until round 2.

prock
02-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I personally think something like Cody's weight issue is a much greater, I guess you could call it "character", issue than someone with an arrest list, etc. If you are two months away from the NFL draft and you can't get yourself motivated and into shape, that speaks volumes to me. I could see Cody going top 15 because of positional value, but I personally wouldn't touch him in the first.

BigBanger
02-18-2010, 09:26 AM
- He's really athletic.
Just stop talking. Just stop.

senormysterioso
02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
I can't help but think of Rod Wright when he came out of Texas. I'm not comparing them as players or prospects, but he's one of those guys who was a border line first rounder leading into the draft and he ended up going in the 7th. Granted, with Wright it was injury concerns but the weight concerns with Cody are every bit as troubling. It's so hard to project where Cody will go, it all depends on how he interviews and works out at the combine/pro day.

AntoinCD
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I personally think something like Cody's weight issue is a much greater, I guess you could call it "character", issue than someone with an arrest list, etc. If you are two months away from the NFL draft and you can't get yourself motivated and into shape, that speaks volumes to me. I could see Cody going top 15 because of positional value, but I personally wouldn't touch him in the first.

Very good point. If he's hanging round with the wrong people or smacks his girl around that can at least be masked over on te football field. However if he has too big a sweet tooth, and too big a savoury tooth, and too big a sweet and sour tooth... Well you see were I'm going. There are more people who eat themselves out of the league than get forced out due to legal transgressions. It just so happens people like Pacman and Plaxico get more publicity. I'd rather take my chances on an idiot who's been arrested for DUI rather than a guy who ant stay in shape for the most important 'job interview' in his life

Rob S
02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I like Cody a lot and think he is going to be a real good NT in the NFL. Due to scarcity of true NT, that probably makes him a top 15-25 value in my book. I would love for the Bills to trade up to get him at the end of rd.1. The weight is a concern, but I won't get overly worked up about it. I would just make training camp a ***** and make sure he is conditioned. Fat people can have good cardio, it is certainly way tougher, but just kill him at training camp.

As for the bench numbers, yes they will be important. If Cody is weak, that may change my opinion. I however, would be more interested to see his squat and clean numbers.....I think they are way more important for football players than bench. They should institute a squat test imo.

prock
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Very good point. If he's hanging round with the wrong people or smacks his girl around that can at least be masked over on te football field. However if he has too big a sweet tooth, and too big a savoury tooth, and too big a sweet and sour tooth... Well you see were I'm going. There are more people who eat themselves out of the than get forced out due to legal transgressions. It just so happens people like Pacman and Plaxico get more publicity. I'd rather take my chances on an idiot who's been arrested for DUI rather than a guy who ant stay in shape for the most important 'job interview' in his life

Exactly. Laziness and complacency are the too biggest character issues for me as far as football goes. If you can't get motivated to get in shape for pre-draft workouts, which will play a big factor in how much you get paid, how are you going to all of a sudden be motivated once you are already paid?

RealityCheck
02-18-2010, 10:01 AM
3rd round pick, Pittsburgh.

FlyingElvis
02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Now that I think about it, I don't think he'll get past the Patriots, period - even if they do tag Wilfork. They'll groom Cody for a year behind him and let him walk after the tag expires.

Preach it! I will hate the whole mess b/c I'd rather have Wilfork signed long term, but it looks like the franchise tag is heading Vince's way. His future looks like it will play out for a team in Florida.

RealityCheck
02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
We won't take Cody, we just got Ron Brace who is our future NT.

SenorGato
02-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Just stop talking. Just stop.

Um...relatively speaking...do you know a 370 pounder who can move like Cody can move?

For all this "he's big therefore he'll probably eat himself out of the league because being big means he's also lazy" logic being thrown out...where's the credit for him dropping all the weight while at Alabama? You guys do realize that Cody was over 410 pounds at one point...and dropped 40+ pounds in his two years (not the 60 I was saying, but 40 pounds is alot of f'n weight)?

Iunno why this case is so open and shut...If he drops out of the first he's a steal. I doubt he does...highly doubt he does actually...teams aren't going to let a possibly dominant DT prospect with that much size and athleticism fall too far on draft days...when the last time that happened? Alan Branch was plummeting on his draft day and STILL ended up being the first pick of the 2nd round...There's just too much being generalized about him based on characteristics of guys who are not Terrence Cody but are extremely fat. Same thing happened to Andre Smith last year, and I haaaated Andre Smith compared to alot of guys on this board. Smith looks like he'll have a nice NFL career despite the fact that his body wasn't 100% NFL ready as a prospect. The draft is as much about where these guys can be in 3-5 years as it is about where they'll be next year...Cody has a huge advantage over many guys because of this.

What makes him lazy and unmotivated? Showing up at 370 to the Senior Bowl? Was he moving worse than usual? Was he playing less hard? Is he done working out for life now? Was it a sloppy 370 once he got on the field? You can't just say a guy is lazy and unmotivated just because him naturally huge body turned out to be huge. I don't get what was so shocking or disappointing about that...

ElectricEye
02-18-2010, 11:18 AM
We won't take Cody, we just got Ron Brace who is our future NT.

Until Ron Brace sees the field, we can count on nothing.

RealityCheck
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Until Ron Brace sees the field, we can count on nothing.
We didn't spend an early 2nd rounder on him for nothing, did us?

FlyingElvis
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM
He was inactive for 7 games. Inactive. That should tell you all you need to know.

ElectricEye
02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
We didn't spend an early 2nd rounder on him for nothing, did us?

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2007/0726/20070726__CU_CSU~p1_200.jpg

Yeah, we never do that...

FlyingElvis
02-18-2010, 11:34 AM
^ you're killing me.

:D

RealityCheck
02-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Wheatley, god damn Wheatley.

FlyingElvis
02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
or this guy

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/chadjackson.jpg

yourfavestoner
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM
He was inactive for 7 games. Inactive. That should tell you all you need to know.

Yeah, if you're a player, Belichick will find a way to get you on the field. The fact that he didn't even dress speaks volumes.

contento
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
No surprise that Brace might be a bust, Belichick hasn't had a good draft since 05- and he's averaged 9.5 picks a draft in those 4.

DeathbyStat
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
After this kid is handed a great sum of money is he really going to be motivated to stay in shape.

nepg
02-18-2010, 12:26 PM
A lot of it will depend on how he measures in at the combine.

People forget that Ted Washington and Sam Adams played a lot of their careers at around 400. In normal years, I'd say that he'd be a late first/second rounder, but you've gotta take everything into account. The 3-4 is just as prevalent as the 4-3 these days and a number of old guard 3-4 NTs getting old and will need to be replaced.

If the Patriots let Wilfork walk, I don't think there's any way he gets past them at 22. The NT is too valuable to Belichick's defense.
People like Ted Washington and Sam Adams started of as DE's in the ~300 or below range.

The Pats likely wouldn't touch Cody as he wouldn't pass the conditioning test to get into camp. He barely played in the National Championship game... He's a 1-down player (not even 2!).

ElectricEye
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, if you're a player, Belichick will find a way to get you on the field. The fact that he didn't even dress speaks volumes.

The Shawn Crable treatment. It's a fairly good indication of how he feels about a player.

Abort Tebow
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM
The only way I could see Cody being such a high pick is to the Bills at #9 (or later if they trade back) as they're switching to the 3-4 and they have no one capable of playing of NT. Since so much is made of how important that position is to the scheme that would be the only possible, albeit unlikely, situation where he goes that early.

lance uppercut
02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
nm, didn't see all the brace commentary when I posted.

Finnegans Wake
02-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree that the book on Cody varies more than any player not named Tebow. Weight and conditioning will keep him from being top-15 IMO, but if he shows up at Indy 10-20# lighter and runs better than expected, he could move up. IMO he's ~40 right now, or round 2a.

He's really going to be valued more by 3-4 teams, and a 3-4 NT absolutely has to throw the bar up 30+ times, preferably closer to 35. I forget the numbers now, but Wilfork, Hampton, Ngata, J. Williams all were in that area. So if he lifts well, that might do more to solidify his stock with teams running the 30 front who may have him rated higher than I do; conversely, if he only posts in the 20s, he may even be taken later than Cam Thomas.

I think late R1 to early R2 seems most feasible, but I'd be very surprised if he went top 15. You have to consider that a guy entering the league at this weight may have several good years, but he may simply not last as long. Guys like Sam Adams didn't enter close to 4 bills, IIRC, they had to work their way towards that noble weight.

FUNBUNCHER
02-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Cody won't be able to handle double teams in the NFL, and thus will be a marginal factor in the pros. Cody's physical advantages in college,
(READ - lard butt of galactic proportions), will equal slow and borderline immobile in the NFL.

As for the Andre Smith comparisons, there aren't any. Andre was a dominant LT prospect as a prep with a sloppy physique who started ever since his freshman year at Alabama(!); his agility, natural strength, and quickness were off the charts.

Mount Cody is a freakish biggun with OK mobility for a 375#er, which is setting the bar extremely LOOOWWW.
If it weren't for Cody's ability to play NT, he would not even be considered one of the top 8 prospects at the DT position.

If you really need a NT, I guess you look at him differently than I do, but when I look at Wilfolk, BJ Raji, Jenkins, Casey Hampton, Ngata and Jay Ratliff, IMO Cody isn't even in the same universe as those guys.

nepg
02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
I'd say Anthony Bryant (not Red) is who Cody reminds me of. Frankly, I'm surprised he's still considered a 2nd round pick. Bryant got the same pre-season hype, but people realized he was just a lardo. Donnell Washington also comes to mind. I'm thinking there was another Alabama DT that ended up being a UDFA, but I can't think of his name.

STsACE
02-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't consider Cody a 1st rounder unless he shows up at combine 360 range and 10 days before draft around 350. Cody still had a nice little burst for a 375 lber during Senior Week. He'll never make it through the NFL season with consistency though. You'll get maybe 6 good weeks at the beginning of the season, better have some good rotational guys.

I'd prefer to see him around the 350 range, cause once he gets drafted and gets money, buffet time.

He's a 1st round talent with an asterisk beside his name. Teams will have him on their big board but with slots for each variable they deem.

And the NT is as important for a 3-4 as a LT is for the offensive side of the ball. The NT is responsible for holding gaps, drawings double teams, and directing the O-Line to collapse in a certain pattern to allow for the designed play. If the NT fails, you better have an offense similar to the Saints or Colts, cause it's gonna be a shootout for 16 games.

descendency
02-18-2010, 07:27 PM

DT is the hardest position in the NFL to transition to.

PACKmanN
02-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I'd say Anthony Bryant (not Red) is who Cody reminds me of. Frankly, I'm surprised he's still considered a 2nd round pick. Bryant got the same pre-season hype, but people realized he was just a lardo. Donnell Washington also comes to mind. I'm thinking there was another Alabama DT that ended up being a UDFA, but I can't think of his name.

I would compare him to Frank Okam.

nepg
02-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Especially 3-4 NT. Even Wilfork split time his first year, and it was a scary proposition for him to take over the full-time gig the next year.

It's tough to judge Brace because people look at Pryor's success, but Pryor wasn't asked to become a 3-4 NT, he was asked to be disruptive. Pryor was basically playing NT in the vein of a UT.

Most NT's are cut by now if they haven't shown that they will be able to contribute in the near future.

GoRavens
02-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Cody doesn't have the determination and work ethic to be a starter in the NFL..
BUST

superman
02-18-2010, 09:15 PM
i'm actually interested to see what his bench reps will be too. not that an elite player need a high bench, but since his stigma is being out of shape and lazy, a high bench can at least show he doesn't slack in the weight room.

BaLLiN
02-18-2010, 09:29 PM
i agree....

that he will be a good player

what can i say, i believe in giants fatso's..

SF Dolphin Fan
02-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Not if he weighs 370. I could see him dropping like Gabe Watson at that weight. If he comes into the combine closer to 350 then he could be a late 1st or early 2nd. I do not believe Miami would take him at #12, but I would think they would have interest in round 2.

superman
02-18-2010, 09:42 PM
i'm a miami fan and would hate us taking him at 12, but absolutely love him in the 2nd

kennyb
02-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Have you seen the breasts and the complete lack of muscle tone on this guy? I mean what kind of person LETS themselves get that disgusting? He's going to have to get those breasts surgically removed. Do you realize that? I mean he is a disgrace. All he does is stand up and he's immovable because he's so fat.

He is a decent athlete but I don't see a team risking such a high pick on a fat slob.

Rosebud
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Suh, McCoy, Price and Dan Williams will all go ahead of Terrance Cody and Jared Odrick and Lemarr Houston could join that quartet. He's got a lot of upside but the weight issues, lack of stamina, raw techniques and immobility off the line all push him down behind some other talented and much safer DTs.

LickaMahfeetz
02-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Suh, McCoy, Price and Dan Williams will all go ahead of Terrance Cody and Jared Odrick and Lemarr Houston could join that quartet. He's got a lot of upside but the weight issues, lack of stamina, raw techniques and immobility off the line all push him down behind some other talented and much safer DTs.
That.

This is definitely a character concern as someone else said.

Case in point. Dan Williams was 360+ lbs. He was able to trim it down by his Junior year and keep it off for his Senior year too. I'm sure he could have gotten more grossly over weight but he worked hard at it and continues to.

Cody hasn't. Gato keeps citing this massive weight loss but where is that at right now? He's gotten to the 400 lb mark as a high in his past. At 370 lbs that's 30 lbs of weight loss currently and really, not enough. If he can't dedicate himself to getting that payday now, pre-draft, how is he going to do once he's been paid? It's not that Alabama can't train or condition, this is on Cody. That's why this is a character issue.

It's not about just the weight anyways, it's about the conditioning. He's never been more than a two down run stuffer. there's a good chance he never will be either. He didn't just miss entire series on the defense, he's actually missed entire quarters, which is kinda sad. How many NFL players do you know that are active on Sundays, are only capable of playing half a game at best, even in a limited role? That doesn't bode well for his draft stock.

As a prospect, he reminds me of Gabe Watson and Max-Jean Gilles. Both good players on the collegiate level that had weight issues that dropped their stock significantly. Both had a very high risk of eating themselves out of the league and their draft stock showed it.

The one thing Cody has going for him is the emphasis on the 34 currently in the league and the lack of potential prospects that suit it that are available each year. If he didn't have that, there would be no mention of this guy in the 1st two rounds at all.

FlyingElvis
02-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Especially 3-4 NT. Even Wilfork split time his first year, and it was a scary proposition for him to take over the full-time gig the next year.

It's tough to judge Brace because people look at Pryor's success, but Pryor wasn't asked to become a 3-4 NT, he was asked to be disruptive. Pryor was basically playing NT in the vein of a UT.

Most NT's are cut by now if they haven't shown that they will be able to contribute in the near future.

Wilfork played in every game as a rookie. He was never inactive. He lead all rookies in tackles and ended up being named the starter for the superbowl. (link to bio on Pats site (http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=28436).)

Don't bet me wrong, I want Brace to succeed and be a beast at DT. But we need to be realistic in regards to what it means to be inactive for BB.

The Shawn Crable treatment. It's a fairly good indication of how he feels about a player.

These two posts sum up exactly what Brace's inactive status should mean to us. Could he improve drastically this year? Sure. But he could also land on IR, just like Crable.

All I am saying is don't be surprised if NE take a chance on Cody with a second round pick.

SenorGato
02-19-2010, 02:21 PM
As a prospect, he reminds me of Gabe Watson and Max-Jean Gilles. Both good players on the collegiate level that had weight issues that dropped their stock significantly. Both had a very high risk of eating themselves out of the league and their draft stock showed it.

Both are decent young players and actually haven't eaten themselves out of the league.

K Train
02-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I love cody for the steelers at 18, not my first pick but if mcclain and thomas are out of the question ill take cody.

I think evander hood was a terrible pick last year, i was furious. but cody could legitimize the pick because he showed at the senior bowl he cant be moved, not backwards, not side to side....he takes 2-3 blockers and since hood cant hold a block to save his life cody makes alot of sense imo

descendency
02-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Wilfork played in every game as a rookie. He was never inactive. He lead all rookies in tackles and ended up being named the starter for the superbowl. (link to bio on Pats site (http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=28436).)

Don't bet me wrong, I want Brace to succeed and be a beast at DT. But we need to be realistic in regards to what it means to be inactive for BB.

Fair point. I'm just saying that Wilfork wasn't the beast that he is now his first few seasons (or at least it didn't feel like it at times).

George Lippard
02-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Don't know why he's being accused of eating himself out of the league when he's shown no signs of being some slob who just happens to be useful on a football field.

http://www.bustersports.com/assets/content_images/16751_full.jpg

You don't say.

Finnegans Wake
02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I love cody for the steelers at 18, not my first pick but if mcclain and thomas are out of the question ill take cody.

I think evander hood was a terrible pick last year, i was furious. but cody could legitimize the pick because he showed at the senior bowl he cant be moved, not backwards, not side to side....he takes 2-3 blockers and since hood cant hold a block to save his life cody makes alot of sense imo

Explain this. Ziggy was a bad pick, but a new NT could make him better? What?

Ziggy was off my radar as a Steelers fan because his frame indicated more a proto 4-3 end than typical 3-4 end, although in terms of athleticism he does look like a decent fit at RDE (cf. Keisel). At the end of the season Ziggy seemed to be getting comfortable and play better in rotation. I thought it was a curious pick at the time, but I'm not really worried about him.

But I don't see how Cody would improve Hood's play, to be honest.

K Train
02-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Explain this. Ziggy was a bad pick, but a new NT could make him better? What?

Ziggy was off my radar as a Steelers fan because his frame indicated more a proto 4-3 end than typical 3-4 end, although in terms of athleticism he does look like a decent fit at RDE (cf. Keisel). At the end of the season Ziggy seemed to be getting comfortable and play better in rotation. I thought it was a curious pick at the time, but I'm not really worried about him.

But I don't see how Cody would improve Hood's play, to be honest.

i think if they are going to commit to the 34 (which im not too sure about) that cody would be better for hood then lets say dan williams.

Hood is terrible against the run from that spot, but hes a great interior pass rusher. Any linebacker in a 34 would hate to play behind hood because he cant hold his own against blockers. Cody would allow him to be singled up alot more and he is able to get some pressure. I agree hes not a terrible RDE, but if they wanted to take williams as the NT of the future i look at him as more of a penetrating DT rather than a block eater which means hood would get blown off the ball alot more while cody can just be a huge man and take up a ton of space.

that being said with the hood and timmons picks im not sure they are 34 committed in the near future

Finnegans Wake
02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
i think if they are going to commit to the 34 (which im not too sure about) that cody would be better for hood then lets say dan williams.

Hood is terrible against the run from that spot, but hes a great interior pass rusher. Any linebacker in a 34 would hate to play behind hood because he cant hold his own against blockers. Cody would allow him to be singled up alot more and he is able to get some pressure. I agree hes not a terrible RDE, but if they wanted to take williams as the NT of the future i look at him as more of a penetrating DT rather than a block eater which means hood would get blown off the ball alot more while cody can just be a huge man and take up a ton of space.

that being said with the hood and timmons picks im not sure they are 34 committed in the near future

IMO, the Timmons and Hood selections show that Tomlin is not afraid to tweak the prototypes a bit. I think that's his input, moreso than Colbert or LeBeau. LeBeau seems pretty set in the 30 base; nothing to indicate a change there, although of course they run a hybrid with 40 on passing downs (Hampton and Cody would both be out), as well as some other looks LeBeau likes to throw. Pats and Ravens notably do this as well.

Also, most rumors this off-season are that the FO want to retain Hampton (and Clark and Reed), which would indicate that the 3-4 is locked in for the foreseeable future. If Coach Dad ever moves on, maybe then. For now? Can't see it. I'm not entirely sure they're even drafting a NT this year, although I certainly wouldn't mind having some youth in that pipeline.

K Train
02-19-2010, 03:04 PM
IMO, the Timmons and Hood selections show that Tomlin is not afraid to tweak the prototypes a bit. I think that's his input, moreso than Colbert or LeBeau. LeBeau seems pretty set in the 30 base; nothing to indicate a change there, although of course they run a hybrid with 40 on passing downs (Hampton and Cody would both be out), as well as some other looks LeBeau likes to throw. Pats and Ravens notably do this as well.

Also, most rumors this off-season are that the FO want to retain Hampton (and Clark and Reed), which would indicate that the 3-4 is locked in for the foreseeable future. If Coach Dad ever moves on, maybe then. For now? Can't see it. I'm not entirely sure they're even drafting a NT this year, although I certainly wouldn't mind having some youth in that pipeline.

I would like Mcclain or Spikes to make up for timmons lacking in the run game. I think it would be a great duo since i do love timmons but he needs to be playing next to a hammer MLB that can take on guards. I hope hampton does resign though, but even if he and clark are both retained the need for a NT and FS is still there which is why i would have no problems with earl thomas or cody at 18.

Cam Thomas might be a good one to keep an eye out for in the mid rounds.

i hope they dont switch to a 43, but they have been drafting the personell for a potential change down the line

Finnegans Wake
02-19-2010, 03:11 PM
I would like Mcclain or Spikes to make up for timmons lacking in the run game. I think it would be a great duo since i do love timmons but he needs to be playing next to a hammer MLB that can take on guards. I hope hampton does resign though, but even if he and clark are both retained the need for a NT and FS is still there which is why i would have no problems with earl thomas or cody at 18.

Cam Thomas might be a good one to keep an eye out for in the mid rounds.

i hope they dont switch to a 43, but they have been drafting the personell for a potential change down the line

Agree with all that, just have some reservations about Cody's conditioning.

Also, with a year of coaching under his belt, not to mention strength and conditioning, expect Zig to be a little more stout against the run going forward. JMO.

V.I.P
02-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah Cody is a top 15 pick.........

in the 2nd round...:p

senormysterioso
02-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah Cody is a top 15 pick.........

in the 2nd round...:p

I wouldn't bet much on even that.

Day One Pick
02-20-2010, 08:57 AM
With the growing number of 3-4 teams, the need for nose tackles, and the lack of nose tackle prospects gives him a lot of value.

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 09:26 AM
i hope that he isn't.

i want him at 32.

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2010, 09:55 AM
i hope that he isn't.

i want him at 32.

I bet Gregg Williams would HATE to coach Cody!! He drives his players hard and expects maximum effort and conditioning from them. When he had Sean Taylor as a rookie, Gregg called him out early in TC for being out of cardiovascular shape to play in the NFL.

Williams would literally kill Cody in conditioning drills simply for being such a turd.
No, Cody and Williams IMO would not be a good fit.

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I bet Gregg Williams would HATE to coach Cody!! He drives his players hard and expects maximum effort and conditioning from them. When he had Sean Taylor as a rookie, Gregg called him out early in TC for being out of cardiovascular shape to play in the NFL.

Williams would literally kill Cody in conditioning drills simply for being such a turd.

1)taylor was a safety.

2)williams handled sam adams just fine in buffalo.

3)cody kept his weight in check for two years for saban who made 6'6 370 pound MANUEL WRIGHT CRY in front of the entire dolphins team in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiM2U9AiQRM

4)remy ayodele is probably in poorer condition than terrence cody but lacks cody's elite run stopping ability.

LizardState
02-20-2010, 10:58 AM
He is:

1) The immovable object who can stop that irresistible force cled the run between the tackles in the NFL

2) the NT who can own the 2-gap for 4 qtrs. b/c he has a great motor

3) athletic enough to play FB/lead blocker on short yardage & goal line situations

4) a FG blocker who stands out on STs (don't take this Bama fan's word, ask the Tennessee Volunteers)

5) Strong enough to disrupt offenses by shoving the pocket 2-3 yds. backward on passing downs like he did vs. Texas -- when Colt McCoy tried to run, he was knocked out of the game with a numb passing arm, Cody was on the bottom of that pile that collapsed the Horns pocket.

For a 3-4 defense that can't stop the run, he could the answer, & his STs FG-blocking capabilities have not escaped the notice of NFL scouts. If he can keep the weight under control look for him to go top 15 to a 3-4 team.

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 11:01 AM
He is:

For a 3-4 defense that can't stop the run, he could the answer, & his STs FG-blocking capabilities have not escaped the notice of NFL scouts. If he can keep the weight under control look for him to go top 15 to a 3-4 team.

stop this.

you are ruining my morning.

cunningham06
02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I doubt he goes top 15, but he will go first round I expect. I was surprised by what a non-factor he was in the National Championship. I also watched him dominate against Georgia the year before, so I don't know just what to make of him. Someone will roll the dice on him in the first round though.

SloppyJoe
02-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm sure this was discussed a lot here, but i didn' find it anywhere, but how does Terrence Cody and Ted Washington compared as prospects?

K Train
02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
he wasnt really on the field much in the NC, and when he was he did what he needed too, nothing flashy. he also played FB on one of the TD runs. the thing was that texas was down and was pass happy, no sense in keeping him in when its a guaranteed pass. they did some weird things with him at bama, like put him on the end as a rusher and didnt always have him playing as a true NT

K Train
02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm sure this was discussed a lot here, but i didn' find it anywhere, but how does Terrence Cody and Ted Washington compared as prospects?

both giant men that can play this position until they turn to dust. its pretty accurate imo. hes not a penetrating NT like ngata, jenkins, rogers, rat... ect....but the man will eat space for a more by-the-book 34 that the steelers and dolphins run

Paranoidmoonduck
02-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Let's be honest. Washington was drafted in 1991, way before the fan side of the draft process had matured (Kiper had only been around for 7 years at that point).

But one thing Washington did perhaps better than any other big defensive tackle in history was maintain a fantastic work ethic and keep himself in good enough shape to play a lion's share of the defensive snaps. This is something that a lot of defensive tackles who start tipping the scales at 340 lbs and higher have lots of trouble with.

Personally, I'm far too young to know what Washington looked like out of Louisville. That said, I do know that Washington was the great exception among defensive tackles his size for so many years, and I don't really think that Cody has any real evidence that he is going to be that kind of player (quite the opposite, really).

thebow305
02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I bet Miami has him rated pretty highly...

Probably. But then again, this staff hates lazy guys who don't work hard. I'm not sure if Cody falls into that category per say, but sometimes I do wonder. I'm a big fan and wouldn't be outraged if we took him at 12, he would just have to keep his weight thing under control.

He would be a great fit as the anchor in our defense though.

nepg
02-20-2010, 09:19 PM
1)taylor was a safety.

2)williams handled sam adams just fine in buffalo.

3)cody kept his weight in check for two years for saban who made 6'6 370 pound MANUEL WRIGHT CRY in front of the entire dolphins team in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiM2U9AiQRM

4)remy ayodele is probably in poorer condition than terrence cody but lacks cody's elite run stopping ability.

Saban keeps a close watch on his players. There's no way an NFL team would be able to control a grown millionaire the way Saban controls kids.

Manny Wright was going from a player's coach in Pete Carroll to a discipline-oriented hard-ass in Nick Saban.

Sam Adams was a much older vet when Buffalo had him...he came into the league in ~300. I HATE when people try to make comparisons to Ted Washington and Sam Adams with lard-asses coming into the NFL... Ted and Sam came into the league as pretty svelt dudes (as far as DL's go). Pretty sure Sam was a DE even. They learned to be pros and were dominant before they got fat.

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, Sam Adams was a BEAST coming out a Texas A&M who gradually put on more weight throughout his career.
I don't even think he was 310# as a rookie.

Supporting Caste
02-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I think the bottom line with Cody is this: he compares most accurately to turds like Alan Branch and Gabe Watson, but he might be far more talented than those guys.

nofalcons10
02-21-2010, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=nepg;2025217]Saban keeps a close watch on his players. There's no way an NFL team would be able to control a grown millionaire the way Saban controls kids.

Manny Wright was going from a player's coach in Pete Carroll to a discipline-oriented hard-ass in Nick Saban.

gregg williams is probably the toughest defensive coach in the league to play for so in new orleans cody should feel right at home.

cody didn't need much "controlling" at alabama anyway. saban asked cody to trim down before 2009 and he immediately obliged.

cody also never missed a game at alabama and never got benched or suspended because of weight issues or anything else so this "concern" that he needs so much controlling is baseless...

Sam Adams was a much older vet when Buffalo had him...he came into the league in ~300. I HATE when people try to make comparisons to Ted Washington and Sam Adams with lard-asses coming into the NFL... Ted and Sam came into the league as pretty svelt dudes (as far as DL's go). Pretty sure Sam was a DE even. They learned to be pros and were dominant before they got fat.

i hate when people try to bring up the fact that they were so small when they came into the league but neglect to mention that their most productive "glory years" came when they weighed 370-400lbs.

sam adams was 360 when he won the superbowl in baltimore and ted washington was about 390lbs when he won the superbowl in new england.

they also played more of their careers at 360+ than at below that number.

there is no way to argue that adams or washington were the same forces against the run at 320 that they were pushing 370-400lbs.

if they were so dominant at that weight or so much more disciplined than terrence cody why did they ever bother to pack on so much weight to begin with?

also sam adams, ted washington, grady jackson all played 10+ years at 360lbs or more and all played up past 35 years old at that weight pretty effectively as space eaters.

batsandgats
02-21-2010, 01:47 PM

gregg williams does not like bigger dt's that are space eaters so I doubt the Saints would get Cody. He tends to put smaller but faster guys in the DT spot, he likes getting pressure on the quarterback, as a result the Saints are vunerable to the run, but thats how the DC wants it, hed rather get pressure on the qb and get gashed running every now and then, because the Saints passing attack can definetly keep up with any other team's running game. Last season all of the dts were around 300 except for Remi who was listed at 318. Hargrove played dt quite a bit and was around 270.

nepg
02-21-2010, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE]
gregg williams is probably the toughest defensive coach in the league to play for so in new orleans cody should feel right at home.

cody didn't need much "controlling" at alabama anyway. saban asked cody to trim down before 2009 and he immediately obliged.

cody also never missed a game at alabama and never got benched or suspended because of weight issues or anything else so this "concern" that he needs so much controlling is baseless...

i hate when people try to bring up the fact that they were so small when they came into the league but neglect to mention that their most productive "glory years" came when they weighed 370-400lbs.

sam adams was 360 when he won the superbowl in baltimore and ted washington was about 390lbs when he won the superbowl in new england.

they also played more of their careers at 360+ than at below that number.

there is no way to argue that adams or washington were the same forces against the run at 320 that they were pushing 370-400lbs.

if they were so dominant at that weight or so much more disciplined than terrence cody why did they ever bother to pack on so much weight to begin with?

also sam adams, ted washington, grady jackson all played 10+ years at 360lbs or more and all played up past 35 years old at that weight pretty effectively as space eaters.

Saban's college approach is much different from his NFL approach. That he couldn't keep tabs on his players is one of the reasons he was so quick to go back to the college game.Saban keeps his guys in check 24/7. Cody IS monitored closely, and the staff at Alabama did an amazing job keeping him on track. Pretty sure everyone got this information when Andre Smith came out last year...

I don't understand how you don't see the difference between a 22-year old fat ass and someone who gradually put on weight over the course of a career... Adams and Washington were established prior to their fat years. They know how to use it, but never relied on their size the way a young lardo does.

You're comparing a 350lb man to a 350lb baby and saying they're the same thing.

SenorGato
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
He is:

1) The immovable object who can stop that irresistible force cled the run between the tackles in the NFL

2) the NT who can own the 2-gap for 4 qtrs. b/c he has a great motor

3) athletic enough to play FB/lead blocker on short yardage & goal line situations

4) a FG blocker who stands out on STs (don't take this Bama fan's word, ask the Tennessee Volunteers)

5) Strong enough to disrupt offenses by shoving the pocket 2-3 yds. backward on passing downs like he did vs. Texas -- when Colt McCoy tried to run, he was knocked out of the game with a numb passing arm, Cody was on the bottom of that pile that collapsed the Horns pocket.

You list some of the other reasons I think Cody is ridiculously underrated for...for all his lack of work ethic and so on Saban loved to feature him as much as he could, AND he stood out doing it.

I didn't even believe much in Cody until he blocked those 2 kicks this year. For a 370 pound tub of lard to be able to do that it must take some kind of skill...Then the whole FB thing was just good times.

Not only that but Cody totally falls under Parcells' global theory...It's not like this is Walter Thomas we're talking about here. If Saban had a problem with him then I'd have a problem with him...but that didn't happen.

So what if he has to work out/get in better shape? He's 22 years old and pursuing a career in a sport...that's barely an issue unless he truly is as lazy as is being painted because he weighed 370.

SenorGato
02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Comes into combine at 354...Cue the guys switching from "he needs to lose the weight" to "he lost the weight for the paycheck, beware!"

GoHuskers
02-27-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm glad he lost weight, it doesn't make him a 1st rounder. His play doesn't justify it. I think he's too weak to play 3-4 NT, he really should focus on getting to 325 and then he could probably be an all-pro UT. He has great athleticism for his size, just look at his blocked kicks. He just can't use his lateral agility at 370.

JoeyHeisman
02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
In 2007, with Lorenzo Washington at the nose, Alabama ranked 28th nationally against the run. In Cody's two years at Alabama, the Tide rush defense ranked second in both 2008 and 2009. That's how a nose tackle with 28 tackles in 14 games earns all-america status, and that's why he'll be good fit for whatever 3-4 team decides to take him. He's the perfect fit in the middle for a team that needs a big run stopper.

GoHuskers
02-27-2010, 12:13 PM
In 2007, with Lorenzo Washington at the nose, Alabama ranked 28th nationally against the run. In Cody's two years at Alabama, the Tide rush defense ranked second in both 2008 and 2009. That's how a nose tackle with 28 tackles in 14 games earns all-america status, and that's why he'll be good fit for whatever 3-4 team decides to take him. He's the perfect fit in the middle for a team that needs a big run stopper.

You do realize he plays about 50% of the snaps right?

PossibleCabbage
02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I, like most NFL GMs, am leery about drafting a guy in the top half of the first round who will be a 2 down player from day 1. IMO, the only 2-down position that ever merits an elite pick, is 3-4 NT if you get a shot at a great one. Whether Cody can play that position in the NFL at all, is really going to come down to his explosiveness numbers.

Remember, the real difference between B.J. Raji (top 10 pick) and Ron Brace (second round pick) last year were the explosiveness numbers. Raji had a 10-yard split of 1.69 seconds and a 32" vert, while Brace had a 10-yard split of 1.88 seconds and a 28" vert (despite Brace being taller and lighter). If you don't have elite explosiveness, teams aren't going to fall all over themselves to draft you high as a 3-4 NT.

JoeyHeisman

I'm aware of how many snaps he's plays. I've seen every game of his college career. The snaps he plays, they're generally considered "run downs." So you'll forgive me if I think my post has solid validity to it. Also, Josh Chapman didn't sub in for him nearly as much this past year as he did in 08. Saban told Cody to lose 10 pounds, he did. He was on the field more because of it.

Also, FYI, I'm not saying he deserves to be picked in the top half of the draft, quite the opposite actually. But what I am saying, is that he's not nearly the risk that some people think he is, and if he fell to a 3-4 team in the 2nd round, they'd be crazy not to take him.

eagles6606
I'm glad he lost weight, it doesn't make him a 1st rounder. His play doesn't justify it. I think he's too weak to play 3-4 NT, he really should focus on getting to 325 and then he could probably be an all-pro UT. He has great athleticism for his size, just look at his blocked kicks. He just can't use his lateral agility at 370.

Cody can take on double teams and move blockers. He is not too weak to play NT.

Boxol
02-27-2010, 01:47 PM

You do realize a guy named Vince Wilfork only plays 54% of the plays right?

PossibleCabbage
02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
You do realize a guy named Vince Wilfork only plays 54% of the plays right?

You hold a guy to a different standard who has demonstrated that he can be an effective NT in a 3-4 defense in the NFL versus a guy who you simply suspect might be an effective NT in a 3-4 defense in the NFL. IMO, Wilfork was a better prospect coming out of college, and even he didn't go in the top 15.

Boxol
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
You hold a guy to a different standard who has demonstrated that he can be an effective NT in a 3-4 defense in the NFL versus a guy who you simply suspect might be an effective NT in a 3-4 defense in the NFL. IMO, Wilfork was a better prospect coming out of college, and even he didn't go in the top 15.

VERY true, BUT at the time Wilfork was drafted only a hand full of teams played the 3-4. NOW about 50% of the NFL are playing/switching to the 3-4 THUS making the most important spot in the 304 (Nose Tackle) becomes a TON more valuable

DoWnThEfiElD
02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok so we establish that a 2 down 3-4 DT is a valuable commodity. I can see him being drafted high(er) because of that fact. However there is no way I see him being a top 15 talent. Some team will reach, that doesn't mean he is a top 15 talent.

PossibleCabbage
02-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, if we're going to go with the "3-4 nose tackles are sufficiently important that it's okay to reach for one" argument to say Cody will go top 15, it's worthy to look at which 3-4 teams drafting in the top 15 actually need an NT urgently.

Kansas City could use one, but Cody would be a big reach at 4.
Washington could use one (despite otherwise having an impressive DL for 3-4 or 4-3), but won't spend a top 5 pick on him particularly when they need a QB.
The Browns seem to be in decent shape for NTs, with Shaun Rogers starting and Athya Rubin backing him up.
The Bills are switching to the 3-4, but with a huge need at LT, and both Marcus Stroud and Kyle Williams to try at the nose, I'm pretty sure they'll go in another direction in the first.
The Broncos at #11 are the earliest I could really see Cody going, since their defensive line is really not very good. Would they reach for Cody? I'm not sure, since I don't really even understand the Broncos last draft.
The Dolphins could use an infusion of youth at the position, but have bigger needs at 12. Wouldn't be surprised to see them move back and get an NT though.
The 49ers are just fine at NT, with Franklin being one of the better ones in the NFL.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, those are the 3-4 teams in the top 15. It's also worth mentioning that teams who are looking for an NT in the 3-4 might actually be able to grab a better prospect longterm in Tennessee's Dan Williams, either late in the first or early in the second. Williams is in no way as enormous or strong as Cody, but he's a lot quicker, and as they say "it's how they play not what they weigh." Williams is also the reason I'm just going to discount anybody trading up into the top 15 to get Cody. There's just no reason to do that this year.

Splat
02-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Todd Haley is pretty much obsessed with players being in shape no way the Chiefs touch him in the first two rounds if at all.

jimbo
02-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Cody isn't even a first round prospect, let alone a top 15 one. He weighed in at 354 at the combine...AFTER HE LOST 20 FREAKING POUNDS. 354 is still massive considering the bigger NT's in the NFL like Jenkins and Wilfork came into the league a lot lighter than that.

Nard_Dog
02-28-2010, 04:12 PM
I'll believe he is better shape if he can keep it off until his pro day.

yourfavestoner
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Now, everybody's knocking on him because he lost weight "with millions on the line."

He came into Alabama at 400+ pounds. He has steadily been losing weight since. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to lose weight while concurrently getting better game strength once an NFL team gets its hands on him.

This draft it seems has more polarizing players than any class before it. People either love certain guys or hate them, with no real middle ground.

kennyb
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
It is a real surgery for men who have grown woman like breasts because of too much estrogen in their body. Estrogen can be caused by FATNESS, which is why you see so many fat guys with "man boobs"...it's not just a little fat, it's actual breast tissue. the medical term is gynecomastia, look it up.

At this point, diet won't get rid of it. He has a SEVERE case and needs plastic surgery.

That would probably get rid of about 10 pounds of tissue alone.

Then you have to wonder what kind of person lets himself get in that shape in the first place. That is a bigger problem. He doens't look like he's lifted a weight in his life other than his fat body off of the sofa to get another coke from the fridge.

56crash
03-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Comes into combine at 354...Cue the guys switching from "he needs to lose the weight" to "he lost the weight for the paycheck, beware!"

heck at his weight that could be a movement...yuck by the way...lol

Addict
03-01-2010, 11:03 AM
It is a real surgery for men who have grown woman like breasts because of too much estrogen in their body. Estrogen can be caused by FATNESS, which is why you see so many fat guys with "man boobs"...it's not just a little fat, it's actual breast tissue. the medical term is gynecomastia, look it up.

At this point, diet won't get rid of it. He has a SEVERE case and needs plastic surgery.

That would probably get rid of about 10 pounds of tissue alone.

Then you have to wonder what kind of person lets himself get in that shape in the first place. That is a bigger problem. He doens't look like he's lifted a weight in his life other than his fat body off of the sofa to get another coke from the fridge.

Enough with the remarks. We know he's fat. But the guy broad jumped 7'6 so there's plenty of athleticism under his gigantic sweaty boobs.

Related: I met Terrence, he was a little pale, but he was a nice guy.

http://www.otherkidspacklunch.com/WindowsLiveWriter/bob%20fight%20club.jpg

I got a hug and everything.

bitonti
03-01-2010, 11:56 AM
it's not the 40 that makes him a good player

how about his first team all american, first team all sec honors?

how about his 2 blocked kicks against Tennessee?

how about finalist for Lombardi, Outland and Bednarik trophies (all won by Suh)?

how about the fact that no individual RB has ever gained 100 yards rushing against an Alabama D with Cody starting?

how about the fact that the Alabama defense was the best unit in the nation, and he won a ring?

how about his short yardage work at goal-line fullback?

how about his senior bowl week when he was an absolute beast inside and took every rep they gave him, at 370?

here's a good litmus test if someone says Terrence Cody is not a good football player, they either dont watch the game or don't understand the defensive line.

people who say he's not valuable... maybe not in a 4-3 gap shooting defense... but he's a top 20 player on 3-4 defenses boards... maybe higher.

i wonder what the internet would say about a picture of ted washington with his shirt off... who cares it's football not a beauty contest.

bitonti
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM

They ask the players to be big at Alabama. Here's a question what kind of person was Andre smith? The kind of person to go 6 overall and start at right tackle for a playoff team as a rookie. Cody's work ethic is better than Smiths... both are super elite players.

SenorGato
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Todd Haley is pretty much obsessed with players being in shape no way the Chiefs touch him in the first two rounds if at all.

Why wouldn't Haley just get Cody in shape? What about the guy indicates that he doesn't take football seriously?

Lol he's f'n 22...Why's his career being written already in the OPPOSITE direction of everything he's done?

Come on man...

1. Cody is a naturally big dude. That's half his stock right there.

2. He must have lifted enough weights because he's done more than grab himself another coke from the fridge. He anchored a top 3 run D over the past 2 years on arguably the deepest and most talented college DL too...A DL that helped win 'Bama a national championship.

3. Not sure why the fact that Cody is both really big and mostly slow is some shocker in the prospect world. Those were givens at one point...

4. There's too much focus on what guys can't or don't do here. That's not what the draft is about.

bitonti
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM

this is a great post... look at Alabama on film it makes the case for why Cody is elite. If we are talking about the swimsuit competition in the combine, no he doesn't look good in shorts. this is football not chippendale's.

SenorGato
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Lorenzo Washington's a good player...he should make a DL somewhere too...a 3-4 DL preferably.

PossibleCabbage
03-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting Cody's 10 yard split, does anybody have his broad and his vert? Those are the numbers that indicate the difference between the elite and the mediocre guys who have the body type to play 3-4 NT.

Finnegans Wake
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know why Cody didn't lift?

wogitalia
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Good news in my book from Cody, really shows he is taking this whole draft process seriously that he lost the weight that basically everyone told him he had to, shows me he listens to advice and better yet, gets to work on it, which is the same things that Saban and the staff at Bama have been saying about him for two years. Tell him to do it and he does it.

Cody is just an impressive specimen, he might not look it but the guy can move. I'm probably one of the few, but I think he can play in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front, he has more value in the 3-4 as a rare NT prospect but he has reminds me a little bit of Pat Williams when the Vikes signed him. A lot of people questioned that move because he wasn't a natural fit for the 4-3, but his sheer size and really quick first step have allowed him to flourish, whilst eating double teams and making everyone better. Cody has that same ability, imo, to get that one step that forces a double, or just pick a guard or center up and move them backwards if you don't double. I think he probably needs to lose another 20lbs for the 4-3 to be a realistic option but I think he has shown he can and will lose weight and that has to be a consideration.

I as a Vikes fan would certainly say the Vikes should take him with our 2nd rounder and even consider him in the 1st depending on what else is available as our longterm replacement for Fat Pat. I say that fully expecting him not to be around when we make our first pick. So I guess you could say I see him going top 25, a lot like Tebow in that he is a polarising prospect but it only takes one team that likes him a lot and he is gone and he is a "likable" prospect.

Iamcanadian
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
There is zero chance Cody goes 1st round. He is at best a 2nd rounder and likely to be taken there. There is a long history as to where fat people get drafted when they show up out of shape at the Senior Bowl, Combine or Pro day and if talented, round 2 is where they get drafted.
You can call him talented productive or whatever, but pro teams won't risk millions of dollars on a player who has yet to show he is totally committed to being in shape. Showing up at the combine 20lbs. lighter will probably guarantee a selection in round 2 but round 1 is out of the question and top 15 is simply absurd.
Prop football isn't even close to playing college ball and if you are out of shape as a pro, you cannot be very effective against the massive and strong players who play pro football. If Cody commits to conditioning as a pro, he can be a star but there isn't a GM who will draft him round 1 based on that hope. They'll take the financial risk in round 2 but never in round 1.