PDA

View Full Version : Researching for Mock Draft, I need help finalizing

STsACE
02-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I will be posting my first Mock Draft, basically ever, in the upcoming week or so. I need help in finalizing my picks for each team. I'm only doing a 3 rounder for now and may add more rounds if I get enough feed back. I may wait til the end of combine as well as this is falling right in line with it starting by the time I'm done.

I don't watch every NFL team, so this is where I need some input on everyone's team. Almost like your teams GM is asking the fans what needs done. I have some of my mock already done, but I'm having trouble with certain teams and players fitting schemes as I don't know everyone's schemes and I don't know what all co-ordinators and coaches were replaced for every team.

I need 3 things if I could for teams needs. Please, please, don't mention specific players that you like coming out this year. I don't want to feel swaded into chosing a player for your team because he's liked more than another.

1) Top 4 positions of need.

2) Coaching changes and/or schemes, if known. Offense and Defense

3) Top 2 positions of players that are aging.

I figured it wouldn't be fair to only get feedback on teams I know nothing about while not considering teams that I get to see a bit throughout the year. I'm giving everyone a chance to speak their mind before hand.

If this doesn't belong in this section, I apologize. I would post in everyones team forums, but some teams don't have much posting going on as it's focused mostly on the main draft sections and I figured I'd get better and quicker results in here. I also don't want to go on just what 1 poster says compared to at least figuring in 3 or more posters think of their team.

If a generalized answer could follow an order like below, it would help me keep stuff organized. Just copy and paste if you'd like.

Team:

Top 4 Needs

Coaching changes

O scheme

D scheme

Top 2 aging positions, not in Top 4 needs

prock
02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Vikings

Top 4 Needs: Quarterback, Safety, Defensive Tackle, WLB (last two are debatable)
O-Scheme: WCO
D-Scheme: 4-3 Cover 2
2 Aging positions: LG (Hutch), CB (Winfield)

coordinator0
02-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Team: Baltimore Ravens

Top 4 Needs: WR, interior pass-rusher(s), TE, CB

Coaching changes: None that matter, only positional coaches.

O scheme: Running the ball, play action, dump to Rice.

D scheme: Still a hybrid, but it's looking like we're using a 4 man line to generate pressure on passing downs.

Top 2 aging positions, not in Top 4 needs: TE (Heap, only one other player that we have the rights to next season), various DL positions (mainly our 3-4 DE's except for Ngata).

RealityCheck
02-18-2010, 10:03 AM
1) Top 4 positions of need.
3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, slot WR, TE

2) Coaching changes and/or schemes, if known. Offense and Defense
3-4 defense, pass-centered offense

3) Top 2 positions of players that are aging.
QB, OG

DiG
02-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Team: Redskins

Top 4 Needs OT, G/C, DL, RB

Coaching changes New HC, New OC, New DC, New GM

O scheme WCO focused off ground game, ZBS

D scheme 3-4 / 4-3 Hybrid

Top 2 aging positions: ILB, FB

wicket
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Team: Saints

Top 4 Needs: DT, WLB, DE, OC

Coaching changes None that I know of

O scheme pass heavy, mostly out of 3 wideout, singleback set.

D scheme 4-3, blitz heavy, agressive

QB, TE

FlyingElvis
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Patriots

Top 4 positions of need:
OLB (pass rush) RG TE DE

Coaching changes and/or schemes, if known.
No OC or DC named yet . . .

Offense and Defense
3-4 base but mutliple looks (4-3; 2 man fronts; lots of nickle/3 safety)

Top 2 positions of players that are aging.
WR (Moss) OL (Light) Vollmer looked great at both OT spots so RT is fine and C (Koppen)

vidae
02-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Chiefs:

Top 4 positions of need: ILB, S, Interior OL, OLB

Coaching changes and/or scheme: We just added two coordinators (Weis and Crennel) but the scheme should be the same

Schemes: 3-4 Defense

Top 2 positions that are aging: This is tough to tell.. this team is really young.

Pat Sims 90
02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Bengals

Top 4 Needs: WR TE S OG

Coaching Changes: None

O Scheme: Run First Mainly out of 2 TE Sets I am pretty sure ZBS

D Scheme: Mainly 4-3 with some 3-4

Top 2 aging postions: MLB pretty young team only one i can think of

falloutboy14
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Team:Colts

Top 4 Needs
LT, DE, RG, Pass-rushing DT

Coaching changes
Tom Moore & Mudd are likely leaving.

O scheme
Pass-heavy, 3-wideouts.

D scheme
4-3 with occasional blitzing.

RT, MLB

akvikefan89
02-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Top 4 Needs: Cornerback, Safety, Defensive Tackle, Quarterback
O-Scheme: WCO
D-Scheme: 4-3 Cover 2
2 Aging positions: OG (Hutch/Herrara) and LB (Henderson/Leber)

toddmlazarchick
02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Team: Redskins

Top 4 Needs OT, G/C, DL, RB

Coaching changes New HC, New OC, New DC, New GM

O scheme WCO focused off ground game, ZBS

D scheme 3-4 / 4-3 Hybrid

Top 2 aging positions: ILB, FB

No QB for need? Top aging and no mention of the entire OL but you put FB?

FlyingElvis
02-18-2010, 12:46 PM
No QB for need? Top aging and no mention of the entire OL but you put FB?

The enitre Oline is mentioned as top 4 needs. Did you not read what you quoted?

Legacy
02-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Team: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Top 4 Needs: Defensive Tackle (specifically an UT), Defensive End, Cornerback, Wide Receiver in that order.

Coaching changes: Nothing worth noting.

O scheme: West Coast Offense.

D scheme: Hybrid Tampa 2; Mostly a zone defense with some man-to-man and blitzing sprinkled in.

Top 2 aging positions, not in Top 4 needs: None. The oldest guys on the team are at the defensive tackle and defensive end positions, as well as Ronde Barber. The Bucs cut most of their older players last offseason.

zachsaints52
02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Team: Saints

Top 4 Needs: DT, WLB, DE, OC

Coaching changes None that I know of

O scheme pass heavy, mostly out of 3 wideout, singleback set.

D scheme 4-3, blitz heavy, agressive

QB, TE

Pretty much spot on, but Id put another LB instead of QB :P

wicket
02-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Pretty much spot on, but Id put another LB instead of QB :P

i was actually thinking of that but the need the saints have there is not age related its just quality related. I want to replace shanle cuz he is terrible and I want to replace fujita long term cuz he is no difference maker, just a medium quality player

Poz51
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Team:
Buffalo Bills
Top 4 Needs
1A: LT
1B: QB (Strong armed)
3: 3-4 NT (No true nose on the team)
4: 3-4 ILB (just 1, this need being this high is debatable in Bills circles)

(also need 3-4 OLB, and DE, as well as a WR.)

Coaching changes
Chan Gailey H.C., Curtis Modkins O.C., George Edwards D.C.
O scheme
Pro-Style, run first? Not sure honestly (about run first), I think they are TBA with they're approach moving forward, they still are evaluating personnel.
D scheme
3-4
WR, DL
They are a pretty young team all around.

Hope this helps :D

TonyGfortheTD
02-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Team:
Kansas City Chiefs

Top 4 Needs
S, NT, C, ILB

Coaching changes
Offensive Coordinator- Charlie Weis
Defensive Coordinator- Romeo Crennel

O scheme
balanced

D scheme
3-4 base

LG and uhh......I have no idea. Team really isn't old.

Stranger
02-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Team: Arizona Cardinals

Top 4 Needs
OLB, MLB, LT, CB, TE (a bonus 5th need for you)

Coaching changes
None really, lost our defensive backs coach but that's pretty much it.

O scheme
Pass heavy transitioning to more of a running team with Warner's retirement. Decent chance Boldin gets shipped out.

D scheme
3-4

NT (starter is 36 backups are young but average)

Grizzlegom
02-19-2010, 05:16 AM
Dolphins

Top 4 Needs:
ILB, OLB, WR, FS

Coaching Changes
Transition from Paul Pasqualoni 3-4 to Mike Nolan 3-4

O Scheme
Wildcat when Ronnie's healthy, otherwise balanced pro style

D Scheme
3-4

Top 2 Aging Positions not in top 4 needs
RB, NT

Fadetoblack
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Tennessee Titans

Top 4 needs:
1a) DE - need a pass rush, Kyle Vanden Bosch is old and might be gone, no quality starters
1b) CB - After Cortland Finnegan there's nobody,other starting CB Nick harper is old and might be gone,
3) KR/PR - Our special teams were awful last year
4) LB - OLB Keith Bulluck might be gone and is aging, OLB David Thornton is Aging, ILB Stephen Tulloch might be gone(although less likely than Bulluck, seeing as he's a RFA)

*Note there's no DT listed as a need. A common misconception is that because we lost albert and our defense was awful last year, DT must be a need. That's not the case. Those two years by albert aren't going to be duplicated ever again, and he disguised a horrible set of DE's. We spent a 2nd on Sen'Derrick Marks last year, and jason Jones the year before. Tony brown played outstanding last year and is a RFA and therefore will likely be back for next year, plus they are already trying to resign him to a long term deal. We are more than set at DT.

Coaching Changes - Nothing outside of RB Coach. New RB coach is former jags rb coach Kennedy Pola, the old coach was Earnest Byner.

Offensive Scheme - Run heavy with some option mixed in. More shotgun than most teams would run.

With an offseason of knowing Vince will be the QB next year, The offense might shift to an even more spread oriented scheme to fit Young's Strengths. But it will still be focused on Chris Johnson either way.

Defensive Scheme- 4-3 not much blitzing, fairly balanced between zone and man with the slight edge going towards zone.
We just got a new Defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil last year, but he didn't change too much from what the former coordinator, Jim Schwartz, did so i don't expect too much changes in scheme going into next year either.

Top 2 aging positions (Outside of top 4 needs):
SS, C
Our top two aging positions overall were in our top 4 needs (DE, LB) but at SS Chris hope is going to be 30 next year, and at C Kevin Mawae is 39 but he's probably going to be gone and he already has a replacement ready. Outside of those four positions, the team is very young.

STsACE
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Team: Arizona Cardinals

Top 4 Needs
OLB, MLB, LT, CB, TE (a bonus 5th need for you)

Coaching changes
None really, lost our defensive backs coach but that's pretty much it.

O scheme
Pass heavy transitioning to more of a running team with Warner's retirement. Decent chance Boldin gets shipped out.

D scheme
3-4

NT (starter is 36 backups are young but average)

Since Warner retired do the Cardinal fans feel confident in Leinart? From the little I saw when he filled in for Warner during injuries, you guys are in trouble IMO.

Stranger
02-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Since Warner retired do the Cardinal fans feel confident in Leinart? From the little I saw when he filled in for Warner during injuries, you guys are in trouble IMO.

I wouldn't say that I am confident but I think he could be a decent QB in the league, just not the type to carry a team on his back. He showed promise in his rookie year with great receivers but a garbage oline, running game and defense. He has had a 400 yard game and threw for 300 yards in a half in a preseason game :cool: this year. Still there was a reason why he wasn't starting (besides Kurt being awesome) and he has been a bit injury prone so he has a lot to prove this year.

Regardless this is the last year on his contract so the team is going to give him this year to show what he has got. I doubt they trade for anyone and if we draft someone it will be with a late pick.

cfesh4
02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Team: Detroit Lions

Top 4 Needs: Owner, GM, Defense, Offense and pretty much in that order.

Coaching Changes: New Special Teams Coach but don't know who he is. just know the Asian guy got fired.

O Scheme: Anything to get calvin the ball. mostly up in the air waiting for Stafford to turn into peyton manning.

D Scheme: 4-3 but not a tampa. need more size to stop anyone other than the redskins.

Top 2 aging positions (Outside of top 4 needs): K, and P. Hanson played in the playoffs with the lions, if he isn't 40 he is damn close. harris isn't that old but just plan bad. i'm shocked they haven't found a undrafted player better than him yet.

In general think of a draft for the lions that makes perfect since and avoid doing that. that way you will be as spot on as possible when predicting what the kitties will do.

Unbiased
02-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm not really up on the Xs and Os, but I didn't see a Jaguars post.

Team: Jacksonville Jaguars

Top 4 Needs
1. RE
2. OG
3. QB
4. 3 technique

Coaching changes
New D-line coach. Nothing significant for a mock.

O scheme
Old school I formation; pound it on the ground

D scheme
4-3, a lot of man-to-man with our corners

Team is so young.

billsfootball15
02-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Buffalo Bills:

Top 4 (even though we have like 10) positions of need:
1. Offensive tackle
2. Quaterback
3. Nose Tackle
4. 34 OLB Pass Rusher

Coaching Changes and scheme:
The whole staff is new. Chan Gailey is HC/playcaller and he has a thing for athletic QBs and seems to be more of a run first kind of guy. George Edwards is DC and he will be orchestrating a switch from last years 43 into a new 34 scheme. Bills do not have great personnel for new 34 scheme in the front 7 so they could def use help there.

Top 2 aging positions:
We are pretty young team to be completely honest. I guess maybe WR but that is definitely stretching things. WR is a concern do to lack of depth and I could potentially see us going after a guy if someone drops from rounds like 3-5 but not earlier than that.

Conclusion: Bills have a lot of needs but cannot get out of first 2 rounds without a tackle imo.