PDA

View Full Version : Jared Veldheer

Bills2083
02-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Interesting read I saw while on Yahoo..

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1053376

Where do you guys see him going in this draft?
With Butler retiring and no left tackle, the Bills may need to draft two tackles.

bored of education
02-19-2010, 12:17 AM
This guy is a mountain of a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUoHh8gupE

He is huge!

Clarkw267
02-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Post combine I think he'll be a 3rd rounder at worst. Maybe he can even sneak up into the 2nd.

AntoinCD
02-19-2010, 03:20 AM
Kinda reminds me of Sebastian Vollmer in a way

killxswitch
02-19-2010, 08:07 AM

When I first read about him that is the comparison I came up with. It's not perfect but there are some similarities.

At 6'8, his 315 lbs aren't that much. If he can bench 225 33 times then he's obviously got some strength. The 33" arms are surprising at his height, I would've expected a bit longer. If he's athletic as his coaches say he is he will certainly be an interesting prospect to watch.

Razor
02-19-2010, 08:16 AM

My thought exactly. I've actually been considering changing Asamoah with Veldheer on my wish list for the first two rounds. Imagine Vollmer and Veldheer as bookends... That would be crazy.

DiG
02-19-2010, 08:38 AM
ive been calling him this years vollmer for 2 months. im actually sad that hes starting to catch respect recently. he wont be there in rd 4 for the skins at this rate...hes been in the top 10 of my OT rankings the whole time. i love him for a zbs like shanahans.

RWills
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
My thought exactly. I've actually been considering changing Asamoah with Veldheer on my wish list for the first two rounds. Imagine Vollmer and Veldheer as bookends... That would be crazy.

The Flying V's

RWills
02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
IMO after Charles Brown this OT group is piss poor flooded with RT's. guys Like Veldheer and Washington out of TCU could see there stock rise because of this.

RealityCheck
02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Will skyrocket after the combine. I could see him end up at #31 to the Colts.

bored of education
02-19-2010, 09:39 AM
I think he is more ahtletic and stronger than Vollmer. Not alike at all.

Finnegans Wake
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
OK, I'll be the contrarian. People fall in love with those workout numbers, but I don't think he's worth spending anything earlier than a R4 on. Vollmer played for Houston: not exactly Bama or USC, but it wasn't Hillsdale. That means Veldheer was facing powerhouse pass rushers from the likes of Tiffin, Northwood, and Ashland. This guy is going to be very, very raw from a technique standpoint, and anyone advocating using a R1 pick on a guy who no one here's seen film on...

Consider that players like Iupati and Ducasse are going to need time to get coached up. They're going to have some tough sledding if they start early on, and it's possible they might sit a year behind a vet. These guys are still from a LOC that we can at least locate on our radar. This kid Veldheer is going to need most, if not all, of his rookie contract just to learn how to ply his trade. I expect him to have great triangle numbers and look a bit shaky in the drills. You get him into camp and have to carry him on the roster as a project, that impacts cap consideration (assuming a CBA).

So, for a guy who could be a dominant LT in the year 2013 or 2014, there is no way I'd spend anything more than a R4. In fact, I'd probably just wait a year and draft a big program LT and keep the roster spot free. Facing DeMarcus Ware or James Harrison is a wee bit different than mirroring Biff Jenkins from Tiffin.

JMO.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I have to think he'll be there in the 4th. I do think he'll test very well but come draft day, he'll be the guy from Hillsdale. He's a fantastic prospect that I think ends up going where he should go, not where he could go.

I will say I might be biased since I reeaally want him on the Bears.

ElectricEye
02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
I think he is more ahtletic and stronger than Vollmer. Not alike at all.

Vollmer is actually disgustingly quick for his size. Probably one of the most purely athletic tackles in the league right now. His lateral agility is unreal, as is his ability to get up to the second level and maul people. He was our best linemen last year outside of Mankins. If Veldheer is that athletic, then he'll do very well for himself. I'm not sold on him though, there's really not much to go on besides people saying he's a big time sleeper pick.

tylerb929
02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Will skyrocket after the combine. I could see him end up at #31 to the Colts.

Veldheer did go to Howard Mudd's alma mater.

bored of education
02-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Vollmer is actually disgustingly quick for his size. Probably one of the most purely athletic tackles in the league right now. His lateral agility is unreal, as is his ability to get up to the second level and maul people. He was our best linemen last year outside of Mankins. If Veldheer is that athletic, then he'll do very well for himself. I'm not sold on him though, there's really not much to go on besides people saying he's a big time sleeper pick.
Vollmer actually had some great film as well and kew football more. I think Velddy is more of a freak athlete that neeeds some fine tuning in his football game.

Babylon
02-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Interesting issue to me is whether guys like this that you can get in the 3rd or 4th, and hopefully turn out to have good careers, are maybe a better choice than going 1st round with someone that has more of a profile but in the end may not be that much better. Frees you up to do other things for sure.

Finnegans Wake
02-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Interesting issue to me is whether guys like this that you can get in the 3rd or 4th, and hopefully turn out to have good careers, are maybe a better choice than going 1st round with someone that has more of a profile but in the end may not be that much better. Frees you up to do other things for sure.

Would you rather spend a R3 on Veldheer in 2010 (assuming he can be coached up to starter level by 2013) or a R1 on a big-name school OT in 2013 who can start right away?

_YL_
02-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Has Al Davis written all over him.If Al Davis ever could create a OT Veldheer would be it.

Babylon
02-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Would you rather spend a R3 on Veldheer in 2010 (assuming he can be coached up to starter level by 2013) or a R1 on a big-name school OT in 2013 who can start right away?

Not sure what you're asking there (R1 in 2013?). I think a guy like Vollmer proved he could start right away. Rather than focus on Valdheer per se my question is how do you invest in the O-line. I think teams like the Titans, Pats and Colts have proven you dont need to spend a ton up front.

FlyingElvis
02-19-2010, 02:15 PM
If he is coached up well enough that he impresses in the drills (not so much the 40, bench, etc.) he may not make the third round, but I doubt it. It's crazy to expect any more than 3rd for a guy that hasn't played against top competition.

Hines
02-19-2010, 02:21 PM
I compare him to Jared Gaither. Both freakish athletes who are extremely raw at their positions.

Finnegans Wake
02-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Again: Vollmer went to Houston; Gaither went to Maryland; Veldheer went to Hillsdale. My point in asking whether you'd want to spend a R3 in 2010 or a R1 in 2013 was laid out above: it's going to take a few years for this guy to be starter-ready, IMHO. Raw technique + absurd LOC = long road ahead. It's like saying you'd take high school player with great triangle numbers.

People saying Veldheer reminds them of so and so... who has seen him in any actual game footage? It's a crap shoot, a real big crap shoot because the guy has measurables. Why can't every track start automatically be a great WR if it's all about measurables?

jhnsnchrs
02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Again: Vollmer went to Houston; Gaither went to Maryland; Veldheer went to Hillsdale. My point in asking whether you'd want to spend a R3 in 2010 or a R1 in 2013 was laid out above: it's going to take a few years for this guy to be starter-ready, IMHO. Raw technique + absurd LOC = long road ahead. It's like saying you'd take high school player with great triangle numbers.

People saying Veldheer reminds them of so and so... who has seen him in any actual game footage? It's a crap shoot, a real big crap shoot because the guy has measurables. Why can't every track start automatically be a great WR if it's all about measurables?

This is a response to the above comment. I actual went to school with Jared at Hillsdale and played a lot of pickup basketball against him and the athleticism that is being advertised is legit. Now personally I do not beleive that a 40 yard dash time reflects anything about a tackles productivity but it does help showcase speed in the first 10 yards. If I call a screen, I want that tackle to push a guy back with his long arms, then then book his ass up to force a defender to pick a side to move to or get nailed. Veldheer can do that.

In regards to you questions about this his performance in D2. He dominated people and our conference is a joke. Brandon Carr - GVSU - Chiefs & Nate Washington - Tiffin - Steelers/Titans are 2 recent examples.

He has seen speed and size but not in the combination of elite players found in the NFL but even HOF tackles struggle with elite pass rushers from time to time.

You are right, his measurables are off the charts - 6'7" ..315.. 4.88 40yd.. 33 times lifting 225. He will test amazing and move up because of it and while that may not be right. It is the way people look at things.

You are wrong on your plan for drafting though in my opinion. With the exception of maybe the top tackle each year(j.long), every left tackle needs a year of seasoning. Why pay that massive amount to someone (rd 1 money) to a guy that could make a mental error which results in your franchise QB getting his head taken off. Spend the rookie min for 3 years, develop a player how you want, then when the new contract comes, the player is still unproven, doesn't command as much money, then sign him to a deal.

Look at the teams that are good and you will see that formula for the most part with the exceptions of the refugee Saints. Most of the top teams develop talent. Bad teams/always want to spend big bucks on a couple of players. I would never select him in 1st round but mid-late 2nd would be good if you have a plan to develop his physical tools.

killxswitch
02-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I compare him to Jared Gaither. Both freakish athletes who are extremely raw at their positions.

I have a feeling Gaither is significantly stronger than Veldheer though.

DeathbyStat
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
If he runs a good forty time I think he could go to the Raiders in the second round

Finnegans Wake
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Veldheer in R4. JMO.

RealityCheck
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I want him with one of our 2nd rounders.

bitonti
02-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Vollmer actually had some great film as well and kew football more. I think Velddy is more of a freak athlete that neeeds some fine tuning in his football game.

+1

Vollmer looks better on film and against better competition. Veldheer might be a similar athlete but his technique is all over the place. Houston is a huge program compared to Hillsdale

SKim172
02-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Watched him in the Texas v Nation game. I wasn't impressed. Honestly, I don't see what the hype's about. Looked fairly average. Obviously raw, will need a lot of work. I wouldn't consider anything higher than a 4th, no matter what his forty time is. I'm all for small-school guys - I think people overrate the importance of playing for a bigtime program. But I just don't see much to get excited from what I've seen of him.

umphrey
02-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Anyone think he might be too tall, lose leverage battles?

Abaddon
11-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Looks like a stud to me.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Looks like a stud to me.

He sure does.

That center experiment was definitely not pretty. A pretty awkward decision, but I am not going to blast Cable's OL evaluations. He knows what he is doing.

The Raiders can run at will on that left side.

wonderbredd24
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
What about Army of Darkness? How's he looking?

Black Bolt
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Has Al Davis written all over him.If Al Davis ever could create a OT Veldheer would be it.

Good call!!! Say what you want, but no one can deny that Al has had some successfull drafts lately.

Black Bolt
11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
He sure does.

That center experiment was definitely not pretty. A pretty awkward decision, but I am not going to blast Cable's OL evaluations. He knows what he is doing.

The Raiders can run at will on that left side.

He may have had some issues with snaps, but Veldheer locked down the middle in terms of blocking. He would play it at a high level if he was allowed to practice there full time. The guy is a great athlete and he's on the cusp of being a great player. His run blocking is ungodly.

Abaddon
11-11-2010, 03:03 PM
What about Army of Darkness? How's he looking?

Can't get on the field. Learning disability or some such.

Abaddon
11-11-2010, 03:04 PM
He may have had some issues with snaps, but Veldheer locked down the middle in terms of blocking. He would play it at a high level if he was allowed to practice there full time. The guy is a great athlete and he's on the cusp of being a great player. His run blocking is ungodly.

Jared Veldheer is like like ex-lax: He moves chit out of the way.

RaiderNation
11-11-2010, 03:11 PM
He really has improved from week to week this year. He is really looking like a legit starting LT now. He is dominating in the run blocking and is getting better and better at pass pro.

Oaktown1981
11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm very impressed from what I've seen this year. He is getting better each week.. I hope his progress continues.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
11-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I wanted him something fierce :(

descendency
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
How did this guy fall to pick 69? And how awesome must it be to be pick 69...

Paranoidmoonduck
11-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Veldheer still leads the NFL in false starts I believe, but he's improved in pass defense week to week. That said, this guy's value has been in the run game. He's been blowing people off the ball. He and Gallery on the left side have been cleaning up. Basically all the big run plays this year have been to that side.

Now if only Oakland could find a ******* center.

Abaddon
11-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I hate your stupid T-Rex. I just wanted to say that.

I think a lot of the success Satele, Carlisle, and Walker have had as run blockers is attributable to what Veldheer and Gallery do on the left side. Defenses have to account for that strength, and it allows for numbers advantages on the right and up the middle.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I hate your stupid T-Rex. I just wanted to say that.

Click it.

I think a lot of the success Satele, Carlisle, and Walker have had as run blockers is attributable to what Veldheer and Gallery do on the left side. Defenses have to account for that strength, and it allows for numbers advantages on the right and up the middle.

Honestly, Carlisle main value right now is he's a really good pulling guard. He's not great at the point, but swing him behind the center to clear out the chaff Veldheer and Gallery leave and he does work. Kinda nice, since it's not like Marcel Reese is much of a lead blocker.

Black Bolt
11-12-2010, 07:18 AM
How did this guy fall to pick 69? And how awesome must it be to be pick 69...

Didn't you see all the posts saying he was only a 4th round prospect?

ElectricEye
11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Don't listen to him. The Dinosaur and his thoughts on talking horses and robots uplift me on a daily basis.

Nice to see Veldheer doing so well. Some guys on the Pats forum were onto him early and I was hesitant. Good story though, hopefully he continues to progress because no one deserves Mario Henderson.