PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers at Runningback & Rankings.

GoRavens
02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Considering that teams are now well aware of James Starks, and Jouiqe Bell, who is everyones favorite sleepers? BTW, I did rankings/ predicted round.
============================================
CJ Spiller (1st round)
Jonathan Dwyer (2nd round)
Dexter McCluster (2nd round)
Ryan Matthews (2nd round)
Jahvid Best (2nd round)
Anthony Dixon (3rd round)
Montario Hardesty (3rd round)
Joe McKnight (3rd round)
Toby Gerhart (3rd round)
Keith Toston (3rd round)
LaGarrette Blount (4th round)
James Starks (5th round)
Ben Tate (5th round)
Andre Dixon (5th round)
Stafon Johnson (5th round)
Jouiqe Bell (6th round)
Charles Scott (6th round)
Keiland Williams (6th round)
Deji Karim (6th round)
Damion Fletcher (7th round)
Lamarcus Coker (7th round)
Curtis Steele (7th round)
Javarris James (7th round)
MiQuale Lewis (7th round)
Brandon Minor (7th round)
============================================
TOP 5 SLEEPERS

Damion Fletcher: consistent, consistent, consistent. Fletcher has great patience, suburb vision, and is surprisingly tough for his 185 pound frame. He might be the biggest sleeper in the draft, but still manages to get forgotten by most scouts. For some reason I see him working well in New England.
Lamarcus Coker: My personal favorite, Coker still has fantastic potential.. Character concerns have set Coker back his whole life, but it's good to know the man likes to get baked + REP TO HIM.. He's Eerily similar to Bernard Scott, (who got drafted last year with the biggest character concerns out of any other prospect) Coker can make plays, and is gifted with an awesome burst, and exceptional quickness. I’m rooting for him, also worth a late round pick.
http://media.al.com/press-register-sports/photo/coker2jpg-5e2a89773969acbd.jpg
Deji Karim: He’s like the Flash, don’t be surprised if Karim cracks a low 4.3 (4.38-4.42) Probably the most talented out of all my sleepers, Karim could get drafted as high as round 5. His game is well developed, and I think he’ll see a ton of action as a rookie.
MiQuale Lewis: A real short, squatty runner than always manages to break tackles, Lewis is a really poor mans MJD.
Pat Paschall: I like Paschalls game a lot. He’s so smooth, and explosive, and has the power to wear down a defense. He made a name for himself at North Dakota Sate, and some scouts expect him to run a 4.40 flat.

FUNBUNCHER
02-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Listing schools would be a help.

V.I.P
02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Toby Gerhart (3rd round)

Why is Gerhart still projected to go in the 3rd ?? Wasn't he like Heisman runner up ?? first in rushing yards ??

Hurricanes25
02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Why is Gerhart still projected to go in the 3rd ?? Wasn't he like Heisman runner up ?? first in rushing yards ??

And that has nothing to do with how he will translate into the NFL. It does absolutely nothing for his draft stock.

frubulubu
02-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Matthews, will go in the first. Bell I believe will go in the 5th.

TACKLE
02-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Montario Hardesty will be a solid starter in the NFL. Love the way he runs.

FUNBUNCHER
02-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I think Joe McKnight busts in the NFL,; similar physique, but not a quarter as tough as Jamaal Charles.

Wish I'd seen Anthony Dixon play, I have NO idea what he brings to the football field.

Looking at this list, which RBs most favorably compare to Gerhart??

frubulubu
02-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I think Joe McKnight busts in the NFL,; similar physique, but not a quarter as tough as Jamaal Charles.

Wish I'd seen Anthony Dixon play, I have NO idea what he brings to the football field.

Looking at this list, which RBs most favorably compare to Gerhart??

Joe McKnight is a complete and utter bust. Completely agree with you 100%!

mario
02-20-2010, 06:07 AM
I can see Ben Tate being drafted in the 4th ;)

JHL6719
02-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Curtis Steele of Memphis is probably my favorite sleeper at RB. Hardesty is probably the most underrated.

nepg
02-20-2010, 07:26 AM
I love Fletcher, but Tory Harrison might be better and no one is talking about him at all.

RyanBraun8
02-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Gerhart is a 2nd round back I think. I'd move him in front of Dixon and behind Best. The guy is a workhorse and he is a damn good back. I guess it will depend on what he runs and how he tests out at the combine.

I like Coker, and it is funny with him because the kid was a complete straight edge when he got to Tenessee and then the wheels fell off and the bong and pipe where all that mattered. I think he failed 4 test in year....that is brutal. Had a real good true freshman season and showed real potential.

James Starks reminds me a lot of Ryan Grant, from size, to running style. I think he could be pretty good in a ZBS, seems to be a good one cut back.

Joe McKnight ..... with him you are drafting the high school hype and prying eventually he can live up to it. He did nothing at USC to earn the title of heir apparent to Reggie Bush like he was suppose to. He will test good and some team will reach on pontential.

Ryan Matthews is imo the best back after Spiller.

brat316
02-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Joe McKnight goes in the 6 round, maybe 5th if he runs well.

I think JJ ends up going a bit higher and becomes a late round steal.

Dwyer will go in the first.

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 12:03 PM

Here you go buddy...

http://media.al.com/chatter/photo/anthony-dixon-67b61e5c6f206ba1_medium.jpg
Anthony Dixon – RB – Mississippi State
6’0 3/4 - 245 - 4.57 est. - 32 1/4" arm - 10" hand
#4 RB - #49 Overall

- Anthony Dixon is a Senior RB prospect, from a major conference, with big-time production, and underrated physical tools. In four years as Mississippi State’s starting tailback, Dixon accumulated for almost 4,000 yards on the ground. He’s a big, strong, back who likes to finish his runs and likes to get the bulk of his yards between the tackles. Still, some people don’t notice the occasional speed, burst, and agility Dixon possesses as well as vision, and a bit of elusiveness in the open field. He’s a patient, north-south, cutback runner who always falls forward. He has great balance as a runner and some background as a receiver out of the backfield with 56 career receptions.

Dixon played at a high level of competition in the SEC for four years, and capped off an impressive career with a tremendous Senior season. At 6’1 245, he likely won’t be seen as a speed back in the NFL. Though Dixon has shown a surprising knack for the big play, five runs of 40+ this year, his speed and burst will not be elite at the next level and compare to a Shonn Greene level (which evidently seems good enough.) He’ll show spurts of surprising athleticism at times and plays his best football in the second half. I think versatility as a crushing lead blocker and receiver out of the backfield really help his cause.

I think Anthony Dixon projects as a Second-Third Round pick for a team looking to add a tough, north-south runner that can do a bit of everything. I have him graded a bit higher than he's likely to go (Mid Second Round Grade), though he's one of those guys that just has 'it' for me. His NFL role most likely will be as a part of a two or three back rotation, though I think he’s a sleeper to become an every-down feature back at the next level. A personal favorite of mine since the very first game he played in college, opening night against South Carolina.

Positives
o + Production at an elite level of competition
o + Size and strong build at 6'0 3/4 245 with long arms and big hands
o + Balance, very strong in his lower and upper body
o + Power, runs with authority, finishes runs and falls forward
o + Vision, works as a one cut runner and finds small creases well
o + Experience, 4 year starter in the SEC
o + Runs with patience and reads his blocks well
o + Accelerates out of cuts and contact at a good level for 6'1 245
o + Surprisingly nimble feet and elusiveness
o + Is a surprisingly natural receiver
o + Shows tremendous drive and power as a lead blocker

Negatives
o – Lack of elite NFL speed
o – Lacks elite acceleration and burst
o – Wear and Tear questions?
o – Will often run high
o – Minor attitude/work ethic questions

brat316
02-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Pudge let me get a report on Dwyer and Matthews

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Pudge let me get a report on Dwyer and Matthews

I can have them ready in a couple hours and it would help me move along to type them up. Will do the two of them and aim to get done scouting reports for my top 10 Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, Running Backs, Defensive Tackles, and Defensive Ends by the end of the month....

Just a little preview, Dwyer's a guy I like and Matthews is a guy I feel like is overrated a bit. I had Dwyer 39 on my last big board, Matthews 99. Though he may move up a bit next time around, I'd expect him in the Early 3rd Round when all is said and done.

Hines
02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Curtis Steele of Memphis is probably my favorite sleeper at RB. Hardesty is probably the most underrated.

I agree with you on Steele. Very good player.

George Lippard
02-20-2010, 12:17 PM
My draftnik big board.

1. Pudge.
2. Paranoidmoonduck
3. Everyone else.

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 12:24 PM
I agree with you on Steele. Very good player.

Curtis Steele a good sleeper Running Back, but my guy is Oklahoma State's Keith Toston. I think he could potentially be one of the Top 10 RB prospects in this draft.

GoRavens
02-20-2010, 12:38 PM
my guy is Oklahoma State's Keith Toston. I think he could potentially be one of the Top 10 RB prospects in this draft.

You're right. Toston is one of my favorites as well..
Andre Dixon from UConn is another guy I think will have success in the NFL.

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
You're right. Toston is one of my favorites as well..
Andre Dixon from UConn is another guy I think will have success in the NFL.

I think Dixon's going to need to add some muscle mass and the bit of weight it'll come along with. I have my doubts over whether he'll be drafted.

CashmoneyDrew
02-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Lamarcus Coker reminds me a lot of Ahmad Bradshaw. Aside from the pot issue he's supposedly a good kid. I hope he gets a decent training camp shot.

DiG
02-20-2010, 12:55 PM
I like Deji Karim for sure as a sleeper running back this year. Hes a smaller back with tremendous speed and surprising power. Hell get drafted a round or two higher than expected on his return abilities alone.

Rosebud
02-20-2010, 12:56 PM
MaMmHWpXwZg
My favorite RB in this entire draft right there.

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 03:28 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/andy_staples/09/09/georgia-tech/jonathan-dwyer-p1.jpg
Jonathan Dwyer - RB - Georgia Tech (Jr.)
#21 - 5'11 1/4e 239e 4.48e
#3 Running Back - #39 Overall - Late 1st-Mid 2nd

- Dwyer is this class' most physically gifted power back. In two seasons as Georgia Tech's feature back he was remarkably productive with almost 2800 yards in two seasons and 26 rushing Touchdowns. Though he excels between the tackles, finishing every run, he possesses great speed for his size and has the capability to break the big run. In the NFL he figures to get a chance first in a complementary role, but he has the potential to be an every down work-horse running back for some team.

The aspect of his game I find most appealing is his violence as a runner. Jonathan Dwyer finishes his runs, lowers his pad level, and gets yards after contact. He displays tremendous power and prefers to go through a defender rather than around him. He runs compact & low to the ground through contact and has a good deal of power & strength in both his upper and lower body. He has excellent leg drive and fights through arm tackles. Dwyer's violence as a runner is often seen in him lowering his shoulder and running players over, but also is seen in the way he tosses defenders around with a powerful stiff arm.

His athleticism, agility, and speed are rare for a guy of his dimensions. In the past two college seasons, Dwyer broke eleven runs over 40 yards and he's a guy rarely caught from behind. In the open field he's a tough guy to get hands on because he makes strong cuts and he has a good amount of agility and ability to move laterally. He's not overly elusive, and he works best north-south with a full head of steam, but it is one of his traits that stand out relative to his size. His straight line speed and foot quickness really depend on what his weight will be and he has the look of a sub 4.5 guy when under 240 pounds. Though inexperienced, he flashed an ability to catch the ball away from his body, he runs well after the catch, and could have upside as a receiver out of the backfield.

There is concern about Dwyer's NFL-readiness though, and it may be enough to keep him out of the the first round. Most questions stem off his college offense, which called for him to make very simple reads & cuts. In the NFL he will need to make a variety of different reads, with less emphasis on a blocking scheme, and with more personal responsibility. Another question will be his playing weight at the next level. In 2008, I'd imagine he was right around 230-235 and looked very explosive with breakaway speed. In 2009, he bulked up to around 245 for his role in Paul Johnson's offense, but with more physical strength & bulk came less acceleration, less elusiveness in the open field, and less big plays. He is also very raw as a pass-catcher out of the backfield and a pass-blocker, mostly due to the fact they threw the ball only 15 times a game.

As a prospect, I can't imagine a prospect like Jonathan Dwyer will last very long with such a blend of size, power, and speed. He fits best in a one-cut zone blocking scheme where he can get upfield quickly and move north-south. Teams in the late 1st such as San Diego (28) could pull the trigger, but it's more likely that he winds up in the Early-Mid Second Round to a team like Kansas City, Washington, or Cleveland. He may be the draft's best option for a team in need of a power back and future at the position.

Pros
+ Great bulk and power, tough running style and a big, thick body
+ Straight-line speed, has breakaway speed and a true second gear
+ Violent Runner, finishes every run, relishes contact, an intimidator
+ Makes strong cuts, accelerates well out of cuts and moves fluidly
+ Strong lower body, good leg drive, draws a lot of power from his legs
+ Impressive agility when his weight is down, moves well laterally for his size
+ Has some moves, comes with a strong stiff-arm, a spin move, etc.
+ Breaks the big run, 16 career 40+ runs at 235 and heavier
+ Very durable, figures to be one capable of taking a lot of punishment
+ Raw athleticism, displayed on runs and when used as a receiver
+ Feature back potential, upside to be a team's every-down RB
+ Strong character, good leader with strong work ethic on & off the field
+ Young, only 20 years old at the time of the draft
+ Very productive college career, 2790 yards and 26 Rushing Tds 08' & 09'

Cons
- Played in a gimmicky simplified offense, Paul Johnson's Triple-Option
- Unclear how he'll adjust to making more reads and relying more on vision
- Raw as a receiver, only 15 receptions in three years
- Raw as a pass-blocker, Tech team threw only about 15 times per game
- Will have to keep his weight down, looks much quicker under 240 pounds
- Has a high learning curve for a 1st Round Pick
- May be viewed more in a complementary role for some teams

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2010, 05:22 PM
For those questioning his long speed, I just checked out Gerhart's 2008 highlights against Oregon State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCKIwYzkV0

Is it just me, or did Gerhart look a tic faster in '08 than '09??

He was flying against the Beavers, and outran their entire secondary from the edge on a couple runs.

batsandgats
02-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Id say he was just as fast in 09 as in 08. He had 2 60+ yard runs in 09 which is impressive for a guy his size, it might not seem like many but to give comparison, the Heisman winner Ingram only had one 60+ yard run. (not a knock on Ingram, just saying 60+ yard runs don't happen that often for big backs so 1 is great but 2 is amazing)

The reason why he might have looked faster is in 08 Stanford didn't have a passing attack so pretty much everyone cheated up and played closer to the line of scrimmage, while this made running much harder on Gerhart, if he got past the intitial defenders/made them miss, he was usually home free (which is what is mostly in that vid for the osu game), as you can see it was just the db chasing right from behind on that 50 yard td run and he burned him one on one which shows he has great top end speed to outrun a db who had a slight angle on him.

In 09 with the threat of Luck passing, dbs played a little deeper off the los, made running a little easier on Toby but once he got to the second level the receivers and blockers for Stanford usually weren't fast enough to get there to block those guys (in the NFL most teams will have guys fast enough to block those guys) and since they were deeper/unblocked they usually either had a pretty good angle on Gerhart or there were 2 or 3 defenders in front of him, but despite this he still managed a ton of runs in the 10 to 30 yard range. (he has amazing burst for a big guy and great speed in the 10-30 yard range). You can see this on his 09 highlight video for his 1st 60 yard run, he had to make several guys miss in the open field to get to the td, which is a good showing of agility and making defenders miss, they think they have the angle on him but hes too fast and he slips by them. The second 60+ yard run is when Cal cheated up and he made 2 cuts and was gone and only one db on the other side of the field trying to catch up with an angle but he never does, also a great display of his top end speed.

He ran great both years and Id say his speed never really changed. If it were any other back I would say it was the heavy workload that may have slowed him down, but he actually got better as the season went by, started averaging close to 7 ypc towards the end of the season and had a strong second half. He definitely proved he can be a workhorse back, but having said that, the OSU game was at the beginning of the 08 season so I could be wrong and that might be why he looks a little faster.

His top end speed is definetly underrated and he faster than most people give him credit for. Id say he runs a 4.48 at the combine. He said 4.43 is what he has ran recently so I think it will be close, he said he would rush for 2000 in 09 and came pretty close with 1800.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Nice rankings and writeup. Thanks for the info.

mellojello
02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Joe McKnight is a complete and utter bust. Completely agree with you 100%!I'm not a fan of McKnight, but let's not get carried away with the McKnight bashing. At some point, it makes sense to draft him. He may not be 1st or 2nd round material, but he's got a lot of upside after the 4th(???) round.

FUNBUNCHER
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm not a fan of McKnight, but let's not get carried away with the McKnight bashing. At some point, it makes sense to draft him. He may not be 1st or 2nd round material, but he's got a lot of upside after the 4th(???) round.

I doubt McKnight makes it out of his first TC without sustaining a semi-major injury.

Trung Candidate anyone??

Clarkw267
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Not high on Dwyer at all. His lateral movement and vision are sorely lacking. And while he has outstanding triangle numbers, I just don't see the agility, stop and start, or suddenness that a 1st round back should have.

tjsunstein
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Stafon Johnson could be a steal if he's taken later than the 4th.

Clarkw267
02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm not a fan of McKnight, but let's not get carried away with the McKnight bashing. At some point, it makes sense to draft him. He may not be 1st or 2nd round material, but he's got a lot of upside after the 4th(???) round.

I don't think he gets past the top of the 4th at the latest. All the guy did was average 6.4 YPC for his career. Now the durability has to be a concern, but the guy's an explosive playmaker. He could find himself in a Leon Washington/Ahmad Bradshaw type of role for a team.

mellojello
02-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I don't think he gets past the top of the 4th at the latest. All the guy did was average 6.4 YPC for his career. Now the durability has to be a concern, but the guy's an explosive playmaker. He could find himself in a Leon Washington/Ahmad Bradshaw type of role for a team.I can see him being drafted between 3rd to 4th round. With the players he was surrounded by, he probably should have had 7 to 8 ypc. He put the ball on the ground too much, runs upright, and wasn't really used between the tackles.

zachsaints52
02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Stafon Johnson could be a steal if he's taken later than the 4th.

His throat situation is medically okay for the NFL? Its not a problem at all? If so Stafon would be someone to look to in the mid rounds on.

niel89
02-22-2010, 12:06 AM
His throat situation is medically okay for the NFL? Its not a problem at all? If so Stafon would be someone to look to in the mid rounds on.

I'm pretty sure that he is medically cleared because he took part in the senior bowl with full contact. The only issue could be that his voice is still a little messed but they said it should come back to normal over time.

zachsaints52
02-22-2010, 12:18 AM
The only issue could be that his voice is still a little messed but they said it should come back to normal over time.

Like hitting puberty all over again.

Saints-Tigers
02-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Charles Scott and Keiland Williams will both be massive steals in the 6th round.

Jakey
02-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Who compares to Rashard Mendenhall in this draft class?

I was thinking Jonathan Dwyer...but someone questioned his agility and stop start, which Rashard has incredible skills of for such a big guy.

K Train
02-22-2010, 06:13 PM
anyone have any thoughts on javaris james? hes a tough one considering he was a part time guy over the years

LizardState
02-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Will be KRs in the NFL: McCluster, Spiller, probably Best
Overrated: Dwyer
Underrated : Gerhart, Andre Dixon
Draft Day X-Factors, late-rd. possible roll the dice steals: Blount, Stafon Johnson