PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Players to Place?

DaBrowns41
02-20-2010, 02:13 AM
I made a slideshow as well, which can be seen:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/348984-2010-nfl-drafts-hardest-players-to-place

Every off-season, NFL scouts are all over the country finding new talent, and watching old talent. They are looking for that diamond in the rough, the guy that they can draft in the 6th round and turn into a star. Some teams reach for players, while other teams pass on players that seem to be too talented to drop, and for unknown reasons. Most notably, in the 2003 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns selected a linebacker out of a win-less West Texas A&M school in the 2nd round, despite the fact that he was rated as a 6th-7th round prospect at best. On the flip side, the 2005 NFL Draft featured former Michigan standout Ernest Shazor who some believed would be a 2nd round pick, only to watch him not be drafted and sign as an Un-Drafted Free Agent with the Cardinals. You can see that it's hard to place some players, and each player has their reasoning. So who are the hardest players to place in this year draft?

#10- Brandon Spike-ILB-Florida

Brandon Spikes had a very solid career with the Florida Gators. Prior to the 2009 season, many people had him pegged as a top ten linebacker for the 2010 NFL Draft. Statistically, Spikes didn't have a bad 2009 season after being named a First Team All-American for the 2nd straight season. However, many scouts are wondering just how well he can get off blockers, and if his hips are fluid enough to drop back in coverage, while also being a dominant presence inside the box on defense. On top of that, some character concerns are raised following the Georgia/Florida game, in which he was seen gouging out an opponents eyes. I've seen Spikes go as high as #10 in mock drafts, and as low as #65 in mocks. I have him right in the middle, around the top half of the 2nd round, probably in the 40 range. He is definitely a difficult player to place.

#9- Dexter McCluster-RB/WR-Ole Miss

Dexter McCluster is a talented player, and there's no doubt about it. However, prior to the end of the 2009 season, not much was being said about him until the bowl game, and then the Senior Bowl. Many people had McCluster as a 5th-6th round running back/wide receiver with high upside, but hold his size (5'8 165 pounds) against him. McCluster's speed is elite, and his catching ability is great. However, he's too small to really be an effective #1 or #2 receiver, so he'll have to be a running back? Right? Honestly, I have him as a 2nd round pick with the 3rd round as his floor, mostly because he's a guy that just needs to get touches. He's a utility player who will get the ball whether it's in the slot, the left side of the field, the right side. Whether it's in the air, or whether it's on the ground, he's going to find a team that wants to utilize his speed and cutback ability, along with his great hands.

#8- Jevan Snead-QB-Ole Miss

Jevan Snead is one of the most confusing declarations for the 2010 NFL Draft. After throwing 20 interceptions in 2009, and having a 54.4% completion percentage, Snead decided to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. What makes Snead such a hard player to place is knowing what kind of talent he has. He's got a very good arm, and while he could work on his accuracy, it's not terrible. So what happened? Was it immaturity? Was it a lack of intangibles? Right now, I have Snead as a 5th-6th round player, but he's a guy that has the talent to go into the 2nd round, as hard as it is for me to say it. Poor decision making can be improved as he gets groomed in the NFL, as well. I've seen some mocks have him as a 3rd rounder and a few having him as a 6th-7th round pick.

#7- Mike Williams-WR-Syracuse

Not many people really know much about Mike Williams, other than that he has the same name as a former Detroit Lion wide receiver who was a bust in the NFL. Mike Williams is one of the most talented players in the draft. Had he been able to play in 2008, and finished the 2009 season, he could easily be a 1st-2nd round draft pick. However, character issues have marked red flags all over him. After finishing 2007 with sixty catches and ten touchdowns, he became suspended for 2008 for theory of academic dishonesty. After coming back in 2009, he played seven games and had 746 yards off of 49 receptions. He left the team in the middle of the season in fear of being suspended. He flat out quit on his team. He was to be suspended for breaking team rules after he was involved in a car accident off the field. Prior to that he was suspended against Akron for undisclosed reasons. It's too hard to pin where this guy could go with owners like Al Davis out there. Some teams want talent and will disregard character issues. However, I think he'll end up in the 4th round strictly based on talent.

#6- Colt McCoy-QB-Texas

Colt McCoy has all the stats that NFL owners love to see. He throws for a very high percentage (70.6% in 2009), and throws quite a few touchdowns. Questions about his footwork, the system he played in at Texas, as well as his throwing motion are big concerns. The killer is the injury he suffered in the National Championship game from Marcel Dareus. McCoy is poised to throw at the combine, but if he can't, then NFL scouts will only be able to judge what he did at Texas and question whether or not they can improve him. If he can throw, and he throws well, he could end up being a late first round pick. If he can't throw, I could see McCoy slipping to the bottom of the 2nd or top of the 3rd round if not later.

#5- Toby Gerhart-RB-Stanford

A heck of a season Gerhart had in 2009, after rushing for 1,871 yards and 28 touchdowns. Right after his bowl game, he started moving into the first round of a lot of mock drafts. It seems some of the talk has cooled, however, and many have him as a 2nd rounder, and I've seen him as low as a 5th round pick. Personally, I have him as a 3rd-4th rounder assuming he runs a 4.58 or lower at the combine. Rumor has it he's been working on his forty time for over a year and that he could run in the 4.4's. However, I'll believe it when I see it. He's powerful, but he's a one dimensional north/south runner who ran behind a mauling Stanford line and behind Owen Marecic, his very underrated fullback. I think Gerhart is talented, but not 2nd round talent. If he runs in the 4.4's, I'll reconsider, and maybe be a little less hard on him.

#4- Jonathan Dwyer-RB-Georgia Tech

Many believed that Dwyer was a top 5 pick over a season ago. His combination of speed and power made him a hot commodity. However, his stock seems to be slipping based on the fact that maybe his speed still isn't good enough. Many people also question his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, and run efficiently outside the tackles. I've seen Dwyer as early as pick number 11, and as far down as a mid-2nd round draft pick. Personally, I think he's right in the middle, probably between New England's pick at 22 and San Diego's pick at 28. I'm one of the few people that think he excelled in a triple offense that limited his abilities, but we'll see.

#3- Terrence Cody-NT-Alabama

Terrence Cody is one of the hardest guys to place in this draft, simply because we don't know what he's fully capable of. Is he strictly a two down nose tackle with weight issues? Or can we believe that he's been working hard after losing 60 pounds prior to 2008? Laziness is commonly associated with Cody, but perhaps we don't know the entire story. Nick Saban wouldn't let him play 3rd downs because of his weight issue, so one would question his drive. One thing we don't have to question is his size and strength. He clearly demands double teams, and can be dominant and very hard to block. But where is his value necessarily? I've seen him as high as #12 overall and as low as the top of the 3rd round. I've got him around pick #42 or so, with potential to move up if he can have some good interviews and have a good combine.

#2- Bryan Bulaga-OT-Iowa

Bulaga is one of the bigger question marks, and it's not because of his talent. It's because of the depth of offensive tackles, and because of his arm length. The combine is going to answer a big question in his arm length. Many have reported that his arms may only be around 33-33.5 inches long, which is just an average at best size. Anybody that knows offensive tackles knows that arm length is an integral part of success. While it's not that you cannot be successful, but it's definitely not ideal. I've seen Bulaga as high as pick #6 overall and as low as the middle of the 2nd round. That's a big jump. Right now, I think that with his talent, drive, and hard work ethic, he's a mid-1st round player, probably around pick 14 or 15.

#1- Tim Tebow-QB-Florida

The hardest player to place in Mock Drafts is easily Tim Tebow. His throwing motion, and footwork is a huge question mark, but his intangibles most certainly are not. You can't help but wonder what NFL team owner doesn't want this guy strictly for ticket sales and leadership ability, but how high is too high to draft for such a big risk? He's a guy that may not even play quarterback in the NFL, and could be suited for a halfback or even tight end. I've seen people who still believe Jacksonville will take him in the first, and personally, I have him as a 2nd, strictly because a team will reach for him. As a quarterback, his talent level is a 4th or 5th rounder. As a football player, his talent is a 2nd rounder. It's too hard to say where this guy is going to go, and he's by far the hardest player to place in mock drafts for 2010.

Duffman57
02-20-2010, 02:30 AM
How is blount not on this list?

I've seen him go from the 3rd or even 2nd all the way to the 7th round.

But anyway, i disagree with Bulaga but thats about it.

DaBrowns41
02-20-2010, 02:50 AM
How is blount not on this list?

I've seen him go from the 3rd or even 2nd all the way to the 7th round.

But anyway, i disagree with Bulaga but thats about it.

Blount should be on this list. I forgot about him. He could probably replace Snead because nobody really cares about Snead.

wicket
02-20-2010, 02:59 AM
i have sergio kindle on my list as well

K Train
02-20-2010, 03:32 AM
i agree with everything said....blount, kindle, snead

bulaga is my man crush....i dont have a problem placing him, if hes there when the steelers pick at 18 ill be shocked AND i wont be a steeler fan anymore if they pass on him, i just couldnt handle that

AntoinCD
02-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Kindle is a good one. I've seen him go as high as 7 to Cleveland and as low as the third round in some mocks. I think both are extremely unlikely and he will probably go somewhere in the bottom half of the first.

Another player I would put in is Arthur Jones. Before his injury he could have been a first rounder with the ability to go in the top 20. Now he could fall as ar as the fourth

Babylon
02-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Some i think that will be all over the place on differant draft boards:

Everson Griffen. Physically he'll be at the top of the charts i think in terms of size and speed. The problem for some is he tended to disappear at times and may be a bit of a tweener for the 3-4 types out there.

Riley Cooper. Watch this guy on tape and the question would be why isnt he a 1st round pick with his prototypical size and speed for the position. Some are going to say he really only had one good year and question his committment to the sport (although he's stated he's all in for football)

Jordan Shipley. Nice possession receiver with speed, good yac and plays for a bigtime program. The negatives will be some injuries and age.

Charles Brown. Some like him in the first. Nice size with the potential to grow into his frame, excelled on the biggest of stages. On the other end he is a former TE who as of now hasnt been able to add bulk and he really never saw much competition as far as quality DEs go. Also not real strong at the point of attack.

Taylor Mays. Getting off the bus he looks like he's all world. 4 year starter for the Trojans, great size and speed ratio. However not the ballhawk you might want back there and has been knows to be less than instinctive.

K Train
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Blount should be on this list. I forgot about him. He could probably replace Snead because nobody really cares about Snead.

lol....even though i dont care about snead he is very hard to place after a dismal 2009

descendency
02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Dan LeFevour. Lots of production, but against who? Lots of potential. Could be the third best QB in the draft or could be at the bottom of the top 10.

Jonathan Crompton: Is he the QB with the tools to succeed or is he actually lacking something (similar to Jevan Snead).

Xonraider
02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
bulaga is my man crush....i dont have a problem placing him, if hes there when the steelers pick at 18 ill be shocked AND i wont be a steeler fan anymore if they pass on him, i just couldnt handle that

I love it when people say this.

tjsunstein
02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Jahvid Best seems like a tough one.

K Train
02-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I love it when people say this.

clearly it was a joke....although i was distraught after last years draft.

descendency
02-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Taylor Mays. Getting off the bus he looks like he's all world. 4 year starter for the Trojans, great size and speed ratio. However not the ballhawk you might want back there and has been knows to be less than instinctive.

He's the JPP of safeties to me. I think he has an advantage that he seems to be football smart and coachable, so I think his potential ceiling is higher. But the value of a safety makes me put him into the lower part of the first round. I've got a feeling after seeing how well he responded to the coaching at the Senior bowl that he will be a big time play maker for an NFL team by year 4.

V.I.P
02-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Carlos Dunlap should be on that list. On some mock drafts i see him going as high as mid first, and on some i see him going early third. It's very difficult to pinpoint exactly where Dunlap is going with "rocky" stock like his.

BaLLiN
02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Ryan matthews anyone? Ive seen him in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, usually 3rd.

I understand there are concerns about his running style, his durability, and the fact that he hasnt been in the public eye and examined well, but from what ive seen hes a 2nd round pick.

FUNBUNCHER
02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Dunlap is a top 30 player, regardless. His potential is as great as any Dline prospect not named Suh/McCoy.

I think Snead has lost whatever he had in '08, maybe a quality QB coach can help develop him because he still has a powerful arm.

FWIW, Gerhart is not a north/south runner; he's a slasher who's ability to find daylight in the trash of defensive bodies after the snap is uncanny.

How fast is McCluster?? After the Senior Bowl, I think he's a mid 4.4 guy, still dynamic, but not a pure burner IMO like DeSean Jackson.

Supporting Caste
02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I think Mike Williams goes undrafted. The guy is like a Ron Johnson with major character red flags.

I think Carlos Dunlap is severely overrated right now. 2nd round at best.

SenorGato
02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
The CBs, DTs, S, OTs, and DEs. Pretty much any position this is half decent at...

DaBrowns41
02-23-2010, 03:20 AM
Ryan matthews anyone? Ive seen him in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, usually 3rd.

I understand there are concerns about his running style, his durability, and the fact that he hasnt been in the public eye and examined well, but from what ive seen hes a 2nd round pick.

I will disagree with this one.

Ryan Mathews is this years Matt Forte. Forte came as a stud from a crap conference school and rose his stock to the 2nd round being a solid speed power back who's hands were in question.

Mathews is a 2nd round pick, and the people that are putting him in the 4th and 5th just haven't really watched him enough IMO. The kid is legit. The only problem is whether or not he can be effective on 3rd downs, which is why Forte wasn't a 1st rounder, IMO.

Mathews strictly as a 1st and 2nd down back is a 2nd round talent, easily. He's a stud.

Supporting Caste
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Dude, pass-catching might be Forte's greatest strength. He wasn't a 1st rounder because he wasn't a great athlete and he played at a crap school.

BaLLiN
02-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Dude, pass-catching might be Forte's greatest strength. He wasn't a 1st rounder because he wasn't a great athlete and he played at a crap school.

this but i dont think it was his greatest strength, his greatest strength was his ability to consistently get yards and being a back with a good blend of speed and power, his upright running style was under alot of scrutiny.

DaBrowns41
02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Pass catching as his greatest strength is a HUGE stretch.

Playing against tough competition and being a 3 down player was what was questioned. Pass blocking, and consistently catching the ball out of the backfield. He was very capable, but was just ok, in college.

Forte's strength is his ability to run in between the tackles, much like Mathews.

Brent
02-24-2010, 06:13 AM
I dont understand the Bulaga love. Brandon Graham absolutely had his way with him in the game against Michigan. For an OT who is could go in the top 15, that's a tad worrisome.

K Train
02-24-2010, 08:02 AM
graham is the type of layer that will give bulaga fits, i love michael oher but woodley molested him twice last year. and harrison destroys LTs all the time....these short, stout, powerful OLBs with decent, yet not great speed are problems for LTs that deal with finesse and use their pass blocking skills to polish their footwork. bulaga has great form but hes not most powerful lineman which is why hes not the best run blocker either. i love what the guy brings to the table though

descendency
02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
I dont understand the Bulaga love. Brandon Graham absolutely had his way with him in the game against Michigan. For an OT who is could go in the top 15, that's a tad worrisome.

wasn't that like his first or second game back though?

ToldLikeItIs
02-24-2010, 09:35 AM
It most certainly was.

Bulaga has been said to running 4.9's and put up 35 bench reps as a Sophomore. Didn't Von Miller give Russell Okung problems this year as well?

Babylon
02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
It most certainly was.

Bulaga has been said to running 4.9's and put up 35 bench reps as a Sophomore. Didn't Von Miller give Russell Okung problems this year as well?

All the top tackles had their down moments this year. Mayock has said Bulaga could go in the top 5 possibly to KC. and i doubt he'd get by Seattle at #6.

George Lippard
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't take Okung in the first 20 picks.

But you see him go top 5 on occasion.

K Train
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
i never really thought okung or trent williams were so great, they were 1 and 2 on alot of peoples tackle list throughout the year, i think they were both exposed quite a bit last year, mostly williams who was really up and down

DiG
02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
right now dwyer is incredibly hard for me to peg. after this weekend we should have a better feel for where he will fall but right now i can see him anywhere from late first to mid third. same can be said for matthews. i think the rb rankings are going to shake up quite a bit after the combine.

Babylon
02-24-2010, 12:58 PM
right now dwyer is incredibly hard for me to peg. after this weekend we should have a better feel for where he will fall but right now i can see him anywhere from late first to mid third. same can be said for matthews. i think the rb rankings are going to shake up quite a bit after the combine.

I dont see a back going in the top 20 to be honest. Everyone is trying to make Spiller out to be the next Chris Johnson but i doubt he can carry the same workload that CJ does. As for Dwyer i think he could end up near the top of that group but i think he needs to shed some weight.

DiG
02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I dont see a back going in the top 20 to be honest. Everyone is trying to make Spiller out to be the next Chris Johnson but i doubt he can carry the same workload that CJ does. As for Dwyer i think he could end up near the top of that group but i think he needs to shed some weight.

I have no problem with his weight if its muscle weight. from first glance, he looks stout, strong, and compact, which is fine by me. im more concerned with how fast he runs. his size is important for his running style. id be afraid that he would be less effective if he shed too much weight. its hard to tell from film, given the GT offense, how his speed will stack up at the nfl level. i think one of the biggest knocks on dwyer that will drop him a bit on draft day, even if he runs well, is his inability in the passing game. He's definitely more of a one dimensional back, although he seems very good at what he does. He doesnt fumble and he scores in the redzone.

FlyingElvis
02-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Poor Jevan . . .

Like the write up & thread idea. +rep

SenorGato
02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Also, nobody has any clue where my dude Oghobaase will go. I've heard everything but the 1st this year. Last year late 1st was said, but then Shiny New Toy Syndrome moved on to other, younger, newer names.