PDA

View Full Version : A slightly different-looking round 1?

FrankGore
02-20-2010, 04:23 AM
1. St. Louis Rams - Jimmy Clausen, QB
I think that this team's lack of direction, combined with their pitiful stable of quarterbacks, will lead them to pull the trigger on a QB. Could be Bradford if he checks out medically, but I think Clausen's experience in a pro-style system. This draft is deep at the Rams' other positions of need (mostly everything, but DT, WR, etc.) and I'll understand if they want to snag their franchise QB first.

2. Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh, DT
He will start to define that defense for Jim Schwartz. The Lions can make a play for a an offensive tackle in the 2nd round, potentially.

3. Tampa Bay Bucs - Gerald McCoy, DT
Similar to Detroit getting Suh, this pick will help define a defense that seems to have a lack of direction. On a related note, if Suh-McCoy go 1-2, I think the Bucs are more likely to go with Dez Bryant than Eric Berry.

4. Washington Redskins - Russell Okung, OT
I know the talk is about Shanahan wanting a young QB, but I don't feel like Sam Bradford really fits the profile. The Redskins have a dire need at tackle, so they should just try to keep Jason Campbell upright for once until the time is right to get another QB. I personally think that if Shanahan could work with Jake Plummer, he can work with Campbell, as long as the OL and running game get up to par.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Dez Bryant, WR
After making a huge investment in Cassell, the Chiefs should do everything they can to help him succeed. They have needs all over the defense, but with Chris Chambers likely bolting for greener pastures and Dwayne Bowe on some very shaky ground (coach's doghouse + suspension last year), the Chiefs could greatly use a threat like Bryant. Bryant and Jamaal Charles give KC two explosive players on offense.

6. Seattle Seahawks - Derrick Morgan, DE
Patrick Kerney's status is up in the air, Darryl Tapp is a rotational player and Lawrence Jackson has yet to deliver, though the jury is still out on him. As a result, I could definitely see the Seahawks going with the #1-rated DE. Eric Berry is a consideration.

7. Cleveland Browns - Joe Haden, CB
Really tough call between Haden and Berry. Haden plays a more premium position, Berry is possibly better at his position...I'll give them the CB in this scenario.

8. Oakland Raiders - Bruce Campbell, OT
Predicting a hell of a combine/set of workouts by him. You honestly can't go wrong giving the Raiders the best athlete at a given position. I'm sure JPP will be a consideration.

9. Buffalo Bills - Sam Bradford, QB
I just think the Bills won't be able to help themselves if they come across one of the 2 QBs. They have a dire need at tackle, but I get the sense that they are dying to make this sort of move. Having a new regime can only further that sentiment.

10. Denver Broncos - Dan Williams, NT
Beast of a nose tackle to anchor the 3-4. Ronald Fields was OK this year, but he's not an explosive player. Dan Williams will cause problems in the interior for offenses.

11. Jacksonville Jaguars - Eric Berry, S
Finally! It pained me to drop him to this point, but I just came up with too many other needs/scenarios for the teams picking up to this point to where it made sense in a crazy sort of way. The new Jaguars FO seems to be OK just picking the best value at their pick and Berry would definitely be that, as well as an upgrade over any over their current safeties.

12. Miami Dolphins - Jason-Pierre Paul, OLB
I'll be interested to see which pass rusher catches Parcells' eye. In terms of upside and athletic ability though, this guy can change games at the position. They'll consider Rolando McClain, but JPP is more of a premium talent at a position that's harder to plug someone in at and have success.

13. San Francisco 49ers - Anthony Davis, OT
He has tremendous talent, but he seems to lose focus at times. But it's another year and another chance for the Raiders to pass a guy down the board that the 49ers would love to take. Davis can plug right in at right tackle. If there are indeed weight concerns, the Niners won't be turned off, as they would've jumped all over Andre Smith if he fell last year.

14. Seattle Seahawks - Charles Brown, OT
A lot of people are mocking another Trojan at this spot (Taylor Mays). I think if you look at the type of left tackle Alex Gibbs likes, Charles Brown is pretty much it...combine that with Pete Carroll having coached him and to me, this is a strong possibility. They could probably trade down a few spots to get him, but I don't think he'll last too long. Seems like a reach now, but things change, and this seems like a great fit to me.

15. New York Giants - Rolando McClain, LB
Perfect replacement for Antonio Pierce. The Giants need a big upgrade to their linebacking corps' (their whole defense, really) and this would be a great start. Good leader who can help get the D set properly and play more cohesively.

16. Tennessee Titans - Carlos Dunlap, DE
The Titans have a phenomenal DL coach who can probably get the best out of Dunlap. The potential's clearly there, and the Titans don't exactly shy away from guys with a history.

17. San Francisco 49ers - CJ Spiller, RB
The Niners need to add another dynamic threat to their offense. Spiller is a home-run hitter and can play the Felix Jones role of getting 8-10 touches a game, plus he can help fix SF's horrendous return game. Gore has a tendency to get nicked up and while Glen Coffee should be an adequate power-running backup, Spiller would provide a lot more overall ability if he had to fill in.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - Earl Thomas, S
Thomas roaming the deep middle while Polamalu plays up in the box? Would probably form the most balanced safety duo in the game.

19. Atlanta Falcons - Brandon Graham, DE
The Falcons need to juice up their pass rush. What better way to do that than with the draft's most polished pass rusher?

20. Houston Texans - Brian Price, DT
Gives them a stout presence inside to compliment Amobi Okoye. Seems to make sense.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Taylor Mays, S
Nice fit for the Bengals, who need an upgrade at safety. They can find a role that works best for him, and he's not a bad value at this spot.

22. New England Patriots - Jared Odrick, DE
Goodbye Richard Seymour, hello Odrick. The Pats have shown that they value this position tremendously, and Ty Warren still has game, they need to find the guy who will hold down the other side from now on.

23. Green Bay Packers - Bryan Bulaga, OT
Bit of a freefall for Bulaga, who people have going anywhere from the top 5-6 to right around here. The Packers wouldn't complain about getting him at this spot and setting him up on whichever side he proves to be better on.

24. Philadelphia Eagles - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB
He has the speed that the Eagles covet, and he could play sort of a hybrid role for them in terms of dropping down to rush the passer.

25. Baltimore Ravens - Kyle Wilson, CB
Everyone wants to give them a WR so badly, but I feel like the depth is there for them to find as good a player in round 2 as they would select here. Kyle Wilson is a surefire starter and brings the competitive demeanor that the Ravens love.

26. Arizona Cardinals - Trent Williams, OT
Value meets need. The Cardinals usually take the highest-rated guy on the board and in this case, they could definitely use a tackle. Mike Gandy and Jeremy Bridges were not, and won't be enough at left tackle. Williams might not be a prototypical LT, but you could possibly project him playing the position with some work with Russ Grimm.

27. Dallas Cowboys - Mike Iupati, OG
The Cowboys need to revamp the OL, and I've never really been a fan of Kyle Kosier, though he seemed to be solid most of the time...but either way, Iupati is a huge upgrade and between Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode and Iupati, the Cowboys could maul teams inside.

28. San Diego Chargers - Ryan Matthews, RB
He has a little bit of Frank Gore in him in that he has tremendous balance, and the burst to come out of a traffic jam for a long run. Definitely a guy who can carry most of the load, and provide the Chargers with a legit replacement for LT.

29. New York Jets - Damian Williams, WR
Sanchez was throwing to him just a year ago. He has a nice vertical game that will help the Jets beat defenses that want to stack the box against their running game.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Maurkice Pouncey, C
There was something missing there for the Vikes without Matt Birk. Pouncey is an elite C prospect and will hold it down quite nicely for them.

31. Indianapolis Colts - Vladimir Ducasse, OT
He could eventually grow into a premium right tackle, where the Colts could use an upgrade. The Colts tend to use their early picks on offensive players.

32. New Orleans Saints - Sean Weatherspoon, LB
The rich get richer. Weatherspoon is an instant upgrade at OLB and a vocal leader who will fit in nicely in NO.

Please let me know what you think.

AntoinCD
02-20-2010, 05:04 AM
I like the mock in general with a few picks not many people are predicting but IMO could happen. As for the Pats, Odrick is a likely pick but I would prefer either Sergio Kindle, Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga at that point

Stranger
02-20-2010, 05:24 AM
I am a bit wary of Williams at LT but like you said maybe working with Grimm can get him up to scratch, also if the lefty Leinart works out LT might not be quite as important.

Nalej
02-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I like the mock in general with a few picks not many people are predicting but IMO could happen. As for the Pats, Odrick is a likely pick but I would prefer either Sergio Kindle, Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga at that point

Exactly. OLB and RG/RT are bigger needs then DE (which is still a need)

GoRavens
02-20-2010, 08:27 AM
failure for the ravens

summond822
02-20-2010, 10:00 AM
6. Seattle Seahawks - Derrick Morgan, DE
Patrick Kerney's status is up in the air, Darryl Tapp is a rotational player and Lawrence Jackson has yet to deliver, though the jury is still out on him. As a result, I could definitely see the Seahawks going with the #1-rated DE. Eric Berry is a consideration.

I could see this, but I think it's hard to pass on Berry for an inferior prospect. Safety is a position of need, as is DE, and while Morgan is at a more premier position, you did mention Jackson and Tapp. Neither of which has ever truly gotten a full season in as a starter. So I can see them going either way, especially with Berry on the board.

14. Seattle Seahawks - Charles Brown, OT
A lot of people are mocking another Trojan at this spot (Taylor Mays). I think if you look at the type of left tackle Alex Gibbs likes, Charles Brown is pretty much it...combine that with Pete Carroll having coached him and to me, this is a strong possibility. They could probably trade down a few spots to get him, but I don't think he'll last too long. Seems like a reach now, but things change, and this seems like a great fit to me.

Way too high for Brown. He's an early second rounder at the moment. I don't expect him to stand out at the combine, and that's probably where his stock is sitting come draft day. So why take him at 14 when we can take Spiller or Mays, or even Bulaga (who is also a great fit for the ZB scheme), and get Brown in the second (or not if we took Bulaga).

17. San Francisco 49ers - CJ Spiller, RB
My conspiracy theory is that you wanted Spiller, so you had the Seahawks reach for Brown.

coordinator0
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I like Wilson, but is he really a better player than someone like Weatherspoon? I don't think so. Honestly i wouldn't be too upset if we took Wilson or Cox, but I have a hard time believing there wont be a better BPA.

DiG
02-20-2010, 10:04 AM
your absolutely right with the skins draft. shanahans offense is dependent on a strong running game. with our oline right now theres no way the shanahan can build off the run game. he knows the importance of building from the trenches.

prock
02-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Not really diggin a center for the Vikes. If anything, we would need a guard. Safety, quarterback, or outside linebacker would have been a much better pick there.

Go_Eagles77
02-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd be very happy with Kindle.

PhysicalwithanF
02-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Well..Davis and Spiller is pretty sexy

vidae
02-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Not a fan of Bryant when Berry and McClain are still on the board. We need a defensive playmaker in the worst way.

jCut
02-20-2010, 12:41 PM
There's no way Denver passes on Berry.

cfesh4
02-20-2010, 12:42 PM
good in general. like the top of the draft. but... IMO you under rated WRs. i have to look it up but only 2 in the first round mite be a record. benn would be a huge steal to anyone in round 2

LetsGoGiants!
02-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Love the Giants pick. + rep.

FrankGore
02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
My conspiracy theory is that you wanted Spiller, so you had the Seahawks reach for Brown.

Lol, I get nothing out of mocking Spiller to the Niners. It's not like they'll get him just because they did in this mock. I legitimately think Brown won't be a big reach when it comes time, and I felt it made sense...but we'll see.

HONESTLY though, I see the Seahawks waiting and taking a one-cut guy like Dwyer in the 2nd round, and doing just fine with it. Alex Gibbs' scheme will make it easy for guys to put up big numbers, they just need someone to shoulder the load.

EvilNixon
02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
No way in hell we let Berry past number 8.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-20-2010, 04:28 PM
No way in hell we let Berry past number 8.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I think it would be just like Davis to take Berry with the intention of putting him across from Asomugha and priming him to replace Nnadmi.

akvikefan89
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm a Pouncey fan. Can play center if he beats out Sullivan (who is not a good run blocker) or RG if Sullivan improves. Nice pick.

FrankGore
02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Not a fan of Bryant when Berry and McClain are still on the board. We need a defensive playmaker in the worst way.

I see where you're coming from, for sure. I just feel like when you commit and invest as much in a QB as you did in Cassel, the #1 priority HAS to be giving him the tools to succeed. The entire organization will be stuck in neutral for years if that move ends up busting...I always hate it when teams get QBs and don't do what it takes to make them succeed.

Not to say I can't see a scenario where they take a WR a round or so later, but that's why I think they could/should take Bryant, even with Berry available.

thebow305
02-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Great Phins pick, although with McClain still on the board, I'd rather have him.

RaiderNation
02-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Would rather have Anthony Davis or JPP.

zachsaints52
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Spoon makes me happy inside.

proshoota25
02-20-2010, 09:25 PM
kindle would be the pick over odrick, imo

FinsUp21
02-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Solid Bucs pick.

Pat Sims 90
02-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Not a Fan of Mays but fills a need

Abaddon
02-21-2010, 10:01 PM
You guys realize that all this "athletic freak/Al Davis" stuff has never actually applied to offensive linemen, right?

I guess not.

PhysicalwithanF
02-22-2010, 12:44 AM
You guys realize that all this "athletic freak/Al Davis" stuff has never actually applied to offensive linemen, right?

I guess not.

Robert Gallery?

MikeTeel
02-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Robert Gallery?

6'7, 330 pound LT who runs the 40 in under 5 seconds seems like an Al type pick to me.

marshallb
02-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Not a big fan of the Vikings pick. Sullivan was pretty good in his first year playing, RG is a bigger need, and while Puncey can play there, I don't think he has good enough value there.