PDA

View Full Version : Greg Boone

JHL6719
02-20-2010, 07:09 AM
What are everyone's opinions on this guy? Supposedly he's a freakish athlete for 6-3, 280 pounds.....and came to VT as a quarterback. I've seen him run the Wildcat for VT and he can be pretty elusive for a man that big....I've also seen him drive DE's off the ball when playing in-line TE in the run game.....I've seen him catch some pretty tough passes, etc...

What am I missing? Why is he not talked about more as a prospect?

GoRavens
02-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I love Greg Boone.
He projects anywhere from round 5 to 7
Reminds me of Alge Crumpler A LOT.
He's got good hands, is a good blocker, and is athletic for a big man.
I hope he runs a good 40, but I'm predicting a 4.90

CLong4Heisman
02-20-2010, 09:52 AM
his 3-cone will be pretty impressive but the 40 time will be lacking. He makes sense for the Jets in the 6th round if they're still looking for a blocking tight end.

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
he might be able to make a switch to DE at the next level because of his athleticism within the first 10 yards.

GoRavens
02-20-2010, 10:07 AM
he might be able to make a switch to DE at the next level because of his athleticism within the first 10 yards.

no. not at all

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 10:13 AM
no. not at all

why.......

superman8456
02-20-2010, 10:16 AM
He's actually not that great of a blocker for his size. I think of him as more of a big guy with soft hands. He can move pretty well, but I think he would need to trim up and get stronger in an NFL weight room.

GoRavens
02-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Maybe because he's never played D-Line in his life?
Just because he has the size, doesn't mean he's right for the position.
He's a tightend.
He's strong, and tough to tackle.

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Maybe because he's never played D-Line in his life?
Just because he has the size, doesn't mean he's right for the position.
He's a tightend.
He's strong, and tough to tackle.

lots of kids make position changes that they arent accustomed to in the nfl every year. the kid isnt that fast but he seems athletic enough to do it. im just saying that he could project there in the pros.

couldn't hurt to try the kid there.

superman8456
02-20-2010, 10:40 AM
lots of kids make position changes that they arent accustomed to in the nfl every year. the kid isnt that fast but he seems athletic enough to do it. im just saying that he could project there in the pros.

couldn't hurt to try the kid there.

Usually players are not drafted to switch to DE though. It's one of those things, either you have it or you dont.

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Usually players are not drafted to switch to DE though. It's one of those things, either you have it or you dont.

i never said that i thought that he would even get drafted but i do think that he is a nice athlele.

he reminds me a bit of marcus spears.

CLong4Heisman
02-20-2010, 11:32 AM
How many get switched for offense to defense? A switch from DE to OLB is tough and you're asking a kid to change from TE to DE. Sorry but no way that's going to happen.

nofalcons10
02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
there was a big reason why i mentioned marcus spears.

Spears was a highly sought after two-sport athlete in the country following his senior season at Southern University Lab High School in Baton Rouge. On the football field, he was rated as the top tight end prospect in America and the third best overall prospect after earning consensus All-America honors. He was named first-team 1A all-state on both offense and defense following his senior season, becoming the first player to be honored on both in Louisiana since 1991.

He was initially recruited by LSU as a tight end, but was soon moved to the defensive line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Spears_(defensive_end)

DraftBreakdown
02-20-2010, 02:24 PM
How many get switched for offense to defense? A switch from DE to OLB is tough and you're asking a kid to change from TE to DE. Sorry but no way that's going to happen.

Edgar Jones did it with the Ravens (DE/OLB - TE). It's not like he's done much in games at the position but he did make the switch.

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Boone is a TE, and I could see him being on some team's two deep at the start of the season.
He should be a monster on specials.

To switch to playing DE in the pros means you need to be one helluva pure athlete, it's one of the hardest positions to play on the defensive side of the ball, being able to rush the passer.

superman
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
i think, like mentioned above, he'd be perfect on the jets

RealityCheck
02-21-2010, 02:20 PM
lots of kids make position changes that they arent accustomed to in the nfl every year.
http://s2nblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/mattjones.jpg
http://otrsportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/TimTebow1.jpg

CLong4Heisman
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
there was a big reason why i mentioned marcus spears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Spears_(defensive_end)

Difference is that he made the transition as a freshman in college where you can redshirt and it would have no affect on the team whatsoever. If you use a roster spot for a guy changing position you're basically wasting a spot.