PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wright Twitter: JPP skyrocketing to #3?

akvikefan89
02-20-2010, 09:22 PM
For those who don't follow Scott on Twitter, you're missing out. I found this really interesting, he just posted it:

DraftCountdown (http://twitter.com/DraftCountdown): "I keep hearing more and more chatter that South Florida DE Jason Pierre-Paul could be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers guy at #3 overall."

bored of education
02-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I keep hearing it as well. McShay had him 3rd overall last week. But i dunno.

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Based on what, exactly, makes JPP on par (nearly) as a pro prospect to Mario Williams and Julius Peppers??

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Based on what, exactly, makes JPP on par (nearly) as a pro prospect to Mario Williams and Julius Peppers??

No one said he was. But he's going to get looks in the Top 3 regardless. That "u" word applies here...

SloppyJoe
02-20-2010, 09:48 PM
he must have a HUGE combine to get draftet at #3 and even than i doubt it that he gets draftet that high.
i think that absolutely highest he gets draftet is at #6 to Seattle.
but i wouldn't touch him before pick #12

Supporting Caste
02-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Not that I don't believe that the scouts are saying things like this, but I just can't understand it.

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Not that I don't believe that the scouts are saying things like this, but I just can't understand it.

Let's assume everything we've heard is true physically...

6'6 - 260 - 36 inch arms - 4.55-4.65 40 Yard Dash (rumors of sub 4.5).... He's a physical marvel in that Peppers/Mario Williams mold. He's going to test through the roof and he made a great number of plays a year ago that statistics won't give him justice for. As a player, he's not a Top 3-5 value but his upside is immense. I think he belongs more in the 6-10 range, as 3-5 would be a reach even with upside considered.

eagles6606
02-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Obviously this guy has the physical tools to suceed, but how is his technique? How much work does he have to do to be successfull in the NFL?

Supporting Caste
02-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Guys like Shurron Pierson, Isaac Hilton and Lawrence Sidbury do that crap all the time (outside of the arm length, basically).

I think JPP looks like a more awkward Simeon Rice with a better ability to knock down passes. But I'm concerned about his lankiness--he isn't as mobile in short areas (laterally, anyway) as his athleticism would lead people to expect.

ThePudge
02-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Obviously this guy has the physical tools to suceed, but how is his technique? How much work does he have to do to be successfull in the NFL?

A good amount, but less than people will have you believe. Unlike Carlos Dunlap, JPP's athleticism, length and physical skill-set really show on the field. Technically he'll need a few more pass-rushing moves and must work on anchoring/holding the edge against the run. He's very aggressive so he's going to have to work at the finer points of football so that he doesn't become a target to be baited inside to overrun plays. He needs to improve his physicality at the point of attack and should improve his hand use. Still, his natural talent & extraordinary physical tools are evident in his game so he's already got more down than some similar prospects.

George Lippard
02-20-2010, 10:09 PM
If the Buccaneers pass on Eric Berry for this mental midget, Raheem better watch his back...and by back, I mean his reputation, which I will be slandering on message boards for years to come.

eagles6606
02-20-2010, 10:27 PM
A good amount, but less than people will have you believe. Unlike Carlos Dunlap, JPP's athleticism, length and physical skill-set really show on the field. Technically he'll need a few more pass-rushing moves and must work on anchoring/holding the edge against the run. He's very aggressive so he's going to have to work at the finer points of football so that he doesn't become a target to be baited inside to overrun plays. He needs to improve his physicality at the point of attack and should improve his hand use. Still, his natural talent & extraordinary physical tools are evident in his game so he's already got more down than some similar prospects.

So basically he still has a lot to learn. Obviously he has the ability to be a great player, but I still wouldn't take him #3 overall. It seems like the Bucs would be better off going with a more NFL ready prospect like Berry, D.Bryant, or Derrick Morgan. The Bucs can't gamble, they need to hit on this pick.

bored of education
02-20-2010, 10:28 PM
If the Buccaneers pass on Eric Berry for this mental midget, Raheem better watch his back...and by back, I mean his reputation, which I will be slandering on message boards for years to come.

by back you mean his buttocks?

George Lippard
02-20-2010, 10:29 PM
by back you mean his buttocks?

yep, and by slander I mean spank.

V.I.P
02-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I don't wanna draft a "project" with the third pick in the draft. If we want a DE we should go with Derrick Morgan, or Brandon Graham.

George Lippard
02-20-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't wanna draft a ?project? with the third pick in the draft. If we want a DE we should go with Derrick Morgan, or Brandon Graham.

I hate JPP and I couldn't justify taking Graham or Morgan over him.

Saints-Tigers
02-20-2010, 11:23 PM
It's hilarious that McCoy leapfrogged Berry so quickly, and now this guy?

I love all the Carlos Dunlap hate, but everyone is slobbing on this guy, who is the real Michael Johnson 2.0 that everyone hated so damn much.

RyanBraun8
02-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I guess they didn't learn from drafting Gaines Adams at all.... oh well, if they rather pass on Berry or maybe McCoy thats their lose.

Scott Wright
02-21-2010, 12:08 AM
It's hilarious that McCoy leapfrogged Berry so quickly

Gerald McCoy has always been considered a better pro prospect than Eric Berry. In fact, I'd venture to say that Berry isn't as highly thought of in league circles as he is around the internet and among draftniks. That size is a real concern. Plus safety really isn't a Top 3 overall positional value in the NFL Draft these days. Quarterback, Offensive Tackle, Defensive Line.

CashmoneyDrew
02-21-2010, 01:02 AM
I still don't get the size issue for EB. He's not tall, but with his long arms and ridiculous range he doesn't need to be. He's also not as short as Ed Reed, Troy Polomalu, Bob Sanders, Earl Thomas, Donte Whitner, Michael Huff, etc.

Also, EB is over 200 lbs on that frame. Sean Taylor was only like 212 on a 6'2 frame.

I just don't see the size issue. I can dig the value of his position not being worth the 3rd pick though.

TACKLE
02-21-2010, 01:12 AM
I still don't get the size issue for EB. He's not tall, but with his long arms and ridiculous range he doesn't need to be. He's also not as short as Ed Reed, Troy Polomalu, Bob Sanders, Earl Thomas, Donte Whitner, Michael Huff, etc.

Also, EB is over 200 lbs on that frame. Sean Taylor was only like 212 on a 6'2 frame.

Sean Taylor was measure in at the combine at 6'2" 1/2 230. Don't know where you got 212 from.

Though I agree about his size. He is on the shorter side but he isn't a small guy. For a safety, size is usually a concern because it effects injuries and physicality, neither of which have been a problem for Berry.

CashmoneyDrew
02-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Whoops, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Good looking out.

San Diego Chicken
02-21-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm a fan of this guy. When I watched him last year, he put consistent heat on the QB, far from a workout warrior. He's a good football player with the tools to be great. I'll take him over Morgan fairly easily, who doesn't thrill me to be honest.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-21-2010, 01:31 AM

Erm, if Eric Berry is actually south of 5-11, which I suspect he is, he is shorter than Reed and Huff and quite a bit lighter and slimmer than guys like Polamalu or Sanders. Besides, we're talking about whether he's worth taking near the very top of a very strong defensive draft, not whether he measures up with some average safeties.

CashmoneyDrew
02-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Erm, if Eric Berry is actually south of 5-11, which I suspect he is, he is shorter than Reed and Huff and quite a bit lighter and slimmer than guys like Polamalu or Sanders. Besides, we're talking about whether he's worth taking near the very top of a very strong defensive draft, not whether he measures up with some average safeties.

It depends on how south of 5'11 you think he is. I'll be shocked if he's shorter than 5'10 and a half. And though some of those safeties turned out to be average, they were highly touted prospects.

My overall point is, Eric Berry has very similar size to many of the top safeties in the game.

FUNBUNCHER
02-21-2010, 01:45 AM
I think Berry comes in at 5'11 give/take a 1/2 inch, 195# and runs a sub 4.4 at the combine, more than enough speed and size for an NFL CB or FS.

jayceheathman
02-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Gerald McCoy has always been considered a better pro prospect than Eric Berry. In fact, I'd venture to say that Berry isn't as highly thought of in league circles as he is around the internet and among draftniks. That size is a real concern. Plus safety really isn't a Top 3 overall positional value in the NFL Draft these days. Quarterback, Offensive Tackle, Defensive Line.

Andre Johnson was the 3rd overall pick. He turned out pretty well. :)

Thumper
02-21-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say that any team that passes on Eric Berry is making a huge mistake, I don't think he should permanently move to CB because his real value is putting the game in front of him and allowing him to read and react. Eric Berry is so talented and he makes so many plays that I don't see how he isn't a top 5 pick.

And let me just say that if he falls a bit and ends up Seattle, Cleveland or Oakland he is Michael Huff V.2. Seattle is useless to him because they run a cover 2, Rob Ryan already ruined Michael Huff in Oakland I wouldn't want him to touch Eric Berry in Cleveland and Oakland is where talent goes to die.

Right now Eric Berry would be best off IMO if he went Washington, I would have to hate him because he would be a Redskin but he would go to a team with competent coaching and a defense that has proven players where he can slide right in. Plus the new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has made it a point that he wants his defense to have more turnovers, I don't need to tell you that Eric Berry is very good at forcing turnovers.

Saints-Tigers
02-21-2010, 04:38 AM

I just don't see the size issue. I can dig the value of his position not being worth the 3rd pick though.

When players are as good as Eric Berry, people look for things to nitpick about.

FUNBUNCHER
02-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Sean Taylor was measure in at the combine at 6'2" 1/2 230. Don't know where you got 212 from.

Though I agree about his size. He is on the shorter side but he isn't a small guy. For a safety, size is usually a concern because it effects injuries and physicality, neither of which have been a problem for Berry.

Actually, during Sean Taylor's last season, he dropped his weight to 212# over the summer to improve his range and speed.
Eric Berry would totally shock me if he didn't become a flat out star in the NFL in 2-3 years.

Back to the original post, people really need to examine why it was that GT DE Michael Johnson fell to the 3rd round and suddenly a guy like JPP who had LESS production and tended to disappear in some games, is more highly rated.

Physically, MJ is the recent prospect that JPP profiles with the most. H/W/S etc.
I think Michael Johnson was severely downgraded given his raw physical talent and think he pushes for a starting gig this season in Cincinnati, but JPP rated so high this early in the scouting process is amazing to me.

I think when he only runs about a 4.75 40yd dash and shows up so-so in the bench, his stock falls back to the top 15 to 25 pick range.

RealityCheck
02-21-2010, 08:01 AM
They'd better swap with Denver and take him at #10, if they win the coin toss. Then Denver gets Bradford/Clausen.

BaLLiN
02-21-2010, 11:20 AM
They'd better swap with Denver and take him at #10, if they win the coin toss. Then Denver gets Bradford/Clausen.

thats what really makes sense to me, Denver needs to leapfrog Washington in order to ensure Clausen, who would allow more mobility in the pocket and return those bootlegs, He also came from a pro style offense run by a previous NE OC.

H.O.O.D
02-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Wouldn't Mark Domenik be the guy to slander and not Raheem Morris ?

_YL_
02-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Hope so because McCoy could fall to 8

TACKLE
02-21-2010, 12:46 PM

There's no way the Bucs would go with JPP if McCoy was still on the board. JPP would only be considered if Suh and McCoy are gone with the first two picks.

H.O.O.D
02-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Seattle does not pass on McCoy.

ThePudge
02-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Seattle does not pass on McCoy.

There are only two teams in this draft who may pass on McCoy (St. Louis & Detroit). He's a Top 3 lock along with Ndamukong Suh.

RealityCheck
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
That's physically, statistically and mathematically impossible.

descendency
02-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Size, Burst, and strength

T-RICH49
02-21-2010, 02:10 PM
There are only two teams in this draft who may pass on McCoy (St. Louis & Detroit). He's a Top 3 lock along with Ndamukong Suh.

we could.we need a NT not a 4-3 DT

themaninblack
02-21-2010, 02:13 PM
.Physically, MJ is the recent prospect that JPP profiles with the most. H/W/S etc.
I think Michael Johnson was severely downgraded given his raw physical talent and think he pushes for a starting gig this season in Cincinnati, but JPP rated so high this early in the scouting process is amazing to me.

I'd be very surprised if MJ gets to be a starter this year with Odom coming back and Geathers on the other side. Don't get me wrong, he showed some nice flashes this year and I fully expect him to be a starter at some point down the road, after he adds some weight. I hope he can do it, however, as I think he can provide more than Geathers does as a starter. He's gonna give us some great versatility this year on defense that's for sure.

ThePudge
02-21-2010, 02:14 PM
we could.we need a NT not a 4-3 DT

I don't know how McCoy possibly gets to 5 though. McCoy is a better 3-4 DE prospect than Tyson Jackson though, for the record. He has a place in every defensive scheme. He's played DE in a 4-3 and 3-4, and he has experience lining up directly over center at NT in a 3-4 as well. There's something there that will appeal to everyone, but no way he drops out of the Top 3. I'm usually very careful about those statements, but it's unnecessary here.

bigbuc
02-21-2010, 02:28 PM
I hate JPP and I couldn't justify taking Graham or Morgan over him.

How is that? Morgan has had 18 sacks over the last two years, 12 coming this last season. He's stronger than Jpp, plays the run better and was the only guy on his line that anyone had to game plan for. Jpp had George Selvie to help him. If Morgan can run a 4.65 to 4.7 I would take him in a heartbeat over Jpp. The guy reminds me of Justin Tuck.

RWills
02-21-2010, 03:20 PM
How is that? Morgan has had 18 sacks over the last two years, 12 coming this last season. He's stronger than Jpp, plays the run better and was the only guy on his line that anyone had to game plan for. Jpp had George Selvie to help him. If Morgan can run a 4.65 to 4.7 I would take him in a heartbeat over Jpp. The guy reminds me of Justin Tuck.

I don't see Morgan as a major pass rusher, I see him as a Justin Smith type of player, racking up 6-8 sacks a year and a good run stopper, probably time between 4.7-4.8

Jpp reminds me of Kearse coming out, but way to raw to justify top 3, but hey anything happens, look at Tyson Jackson last year

bigbuc
02-21-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't see Morgan as a major pass rusher, I see him as a Justin Smith type of player, racking up 6-8 sacks a year and a good run stopper, probably time between 4.7-4.8

Jpp reminds me of Kearse coming out, but way to raw to justify top 3, but hey anything happens, look at Tyson Jackson last year

I see where you get the Justin Smith, but I just like my top picks to produce. Morgan has produced, he's taken over games against Wake and Clemson.

Jpp does remind me of Kearse as well and Kearse was great for three to four years. Tennessee got him at 15. Jpp is a freak and could become a D Ware type player, but the word is COULD not will.

Its the whole potential over production thing. When bad football teams draft potential it usually goes south. Good football teams can take the chance on drafting potential. Teams in the top 5 need to go production because you just don't have the great players on your team to show the potential kids how its done.

regoob2
02-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Gaines Adams 2.0.

toddmlazarchick
02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say that any team that passes on Eric Berry is making a huge mistake, I don't think he should permanently move to CB because his real value is putting the game in front of him and allowing him to read and react. Eric Berry is so talented and he makes so many plays that I don't see how he isn't a top 5 pick.

And let me just say that if he falls a bit and ends up Seattle, Cleveland or Oakland he is Michael Huff V.2. Seattle is useless to him because they run a cover 2, Rob Ryan already ruined Michael Huff in Oakland I wouldn't want him to touch Eric Berry in Cleveland and Oakland is where talent goes to die.

Right now Eric Berry would be best off IMO if he went Washington, I would have to hate him because he would be a Redskin but he would go to a team with competent coaching and a defense that has proven players where he can slide right in. Plus the new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has made it a point that he wants his defense to have more turnovers, I don't need to tell you that Eric Berry is very good at forcing turnovers.

I agree with everything you say and im torn because I want Berry very badly but I also want Clausen just as much. IMO the best way for us to go is Clausen because I cant stomach another season of Jason Campbell without his replacement in the waiting. If we go with Berry I will like the move just as much because it will allow us to play Landry closer to the LOS where he had his best season as a rookie. Campbell is not the answer and we might not be in a position to grab either franchise QB again without having to trade up so the golden drafting rule applies for us staring at a franchise QB without having one. BUT Berry would complete our secondary. Its a tough choice but I have to go with Clausen.

George Lippard
02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
The Gaines Adams comparison is probably appropriate.

JPP is dumb, Adams scored a 7 on his wonderlic.
JPP is 6'6 (6'5 1/2?), Adams was 6'4 1/2.
JPP is 265, Adams was 260.
JPP is lanky, Adams was lanky.
JPP wasn't overly productive, Adams wasn't dominant.
JPP is the definition of raw, Adams needed some refinement.
JPP is a world class athlete, Adams was no slouch himself (36 in vert, 4.64 40).
JPP has really long arms, Adams could walk on his knuckles.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c117812/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Gaines-Adams.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8ssNdLxsaxU/SusoJcA2Y1I/AAAAAAAAFJw/8H4cajozZa0/s400/OJGNWLVFDAEAZLK.20080612142524_crop2.jpg

bigbuc
02-21-2010, 05:35 PM
The world was killing Michael Johnson last year for having all the tools and not doing much with them... If JPP is such a big time player then why didn't he take over games?

Addict
02-21-2010, 05:49 PM

for what possible reason would detroit not take a DT? I swear to god if this is a setup for a Dez Bryant joke imma cap someone.

Addict
02-21-2010, 05:50 PM

JPP is a world class athlete, Adams was no slouch himself (36 in vert, 4.64 40).

I know one difference!

ThePudge
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
for what possible reason would detroit not take a DT? I swear to god if this is a setup for a Dez Bryant joke imma cap someone.

I didn't say that, Detroit could pass on McCoy for Ndamukong Suh.

Addict
02-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I didn't say that, Detroit could pass on McCoy for Ndamukong Suh.

then I guess this year will be UNCAPPED.

Get it? It was a nice little setup wasn't it? Hell I liked it.

And yeah, we could pass on McCoy for Suh I guess.

ThePudge
02-21-2010, 05:54 PM
then I guess this year will be UNCAPPED.

Get it? It was a nice little setup wasn't it? Hell I liked it.

And yeah, we could pass on McCoy for Suh I guess.

It would require the Rams to take a QB #1, but it could happen depending on who the Lions prefer.

Addict
02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
It would require the Rams to take a QB #1, but it could happen depending on who the Lions prefer.

I really wouldn't know who Mayhew would take if both are there. If I were to guess I'd say Suh since he's more like Haynesworth.

RWills
02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Got me thinking...

If there is any team that has the best scouting on JPP it would be Tampa Bay since he plays right down the road

superman
02-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Got me thinking...

If there is any team that has the best scouting on JPP it would be Tampa Bay since he plays right down the road

wonder if that's in his favor or not...

K Train
02-21-2010, 09:15 PM

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c117812/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Gaines-Adams.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8ssNdLxsaxU/SusoJcA2Y1I/AAAAAAAAFJw/8H4cajozZa0/s400/OJGNWLVFDAEAZLK.20080612142524_crop2.jpg

i loved adams as a 34 OLB that year, at the combine he was jsut so dominate in all conversion drills, he was silky smooth. i do not think JPP has that same kind of skill set, hes a 43 rusher and not even a complete one he will struggle if its not a passing down

Komp
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
The world was killing Michael Johnson last year for having all the tools and not doing much with them... If JPP is such a big time player then why didn't he take over games?

It's all about timing isn't it? JPP is learning from guys like Mays/Johnson, and by not returning for his senior season, his potential outweighs what appears to be a non-dominant college career. Johnson would have been the JPP of the 2008 Draft if he had declared. It would be hard to imagine if we had 3 defensive lineman go in the top 3 picks, but I think Tampa's pick is a bit of a crapshoot. There a lot of possible positions they could be targeting....

V.I.P
02-21-2010, 10:23 PM

You do know that's not JPP in that picture right? That is George Selvie.

Scott Wright
02-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Also keep in mind that the Bucs were very high on Michael Johnson last year...

George Lippard
02-21-2010, 11:09 PM
You do know that's not JPP in that picture right? That is George Selvie.

of course I know.

Saints-Tigers
02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Also keep in mind that the Bucs were very high on Michael Johnson last year...

I was higher on Michael Johnson than most, and I'm lower on JPP than most, but I have them rated similarly. Funny how that works.

gpngc
02-21-2010, 11:48 PM
I think Derrick Morgan is clearly better.

As for Berry, I'd be extremely surprised if TB or KC took him in the top five.

02-22-2010, 02:18 AM
I feel as if I have to post this again.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4-1e6Faglw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4-1e6Faglw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Saints-Tigers
02-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Well, since we are judging on flips, I see no reason that Walter Thomas shouldn't go first over McCoy and Suh.