PDA

View Full Version : Possible Kansas City trade

bored of education
02-20-2010, 11:42 PM
I heard on the radio tade from Mel Kiper himself that he heard that if Jimmy Clausen is their for KC at number 5 that KC would trade Cassel to Denver for a 2nd and draft Clausen.

George Lippard
02-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Would you do it BOE? I like it. Not sure about the cap implications (well, there isn't a cap so what the hell happens?).

bored of education
02-20-2010, 11:46 PM
well Kiper actually said he heard some people mention something of that nature. Cassel was a Pioli guy but Weis and Haley's offensive styles fit more of a Clausen type Qb

bearfan
02-20-2010, 11:46 PM
I would think this move for Denver would be dumb. They have other needs besides QB, Orton had a relatively decent season. McDaniels needs to move on and build the team up rather than focus on getting his guy (for the second year in a row)

dolphinfan2k5
02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Wait is this a joke? I only ask because of your comments in the other possible trade thread.

TACKLE
02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I heard on the radio tade from Mel Kiper himself that he heard that if Jimmy Clausen is their for KC at number 5 that KC would trade Cassel to Denver for a 2nd and draft Clausen.

This actually makes a lot of sense. The Chiefs get back their second rounder from last year and Charlie Weis gets his QB. McDaniels gets Cassell and Orton gets screwed.

Think this all might be a joke though.

V.I.P
02-21-2010, 12:02 AM

They better pray that St. Louis takes Bradford.

bored of education
02-21-2010, 12:04 AM
No, actually its not a joke. I texted a few different people I know this morning about this. Mel Kiper was on with John Staschauer (sp.). It was something that Mel said along the lines that "i heard one rumor that probably wont happen, but i heard it.." then went on about the rumor

Scott Wright
02-21-2010, 12:05 AM
I don't see it and I'd be shocked if it happened.

It would basically be a lateral move for the Chiefs and they'd be trading an established quarterback for an unproven one. Not to mention that after paying Cassel a bunch of up-front money last year they'd have to give Clausen $30 million guaranteed. It would be taking a loss on their investment in every way. Chalk this one up to the rumor mill.

WMD
02-21-2010, 12:07 AM
They'd just charge double for Clausen jerseys.

bored of education
02-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't see it and I'd be shocked if it happened.

It would basically be a lateral move for the Chiefs and they'd be trading an established quarterback for an unproven one. Not to mention that after paying Cassel a bunch of up-front money last year they'd have to give Clausen $30 million guaranteed. It would be taking a loss on their investment in every way.

Yea, Mel stated it would not make sense on so many levels. but this was in midst of how talk can get crazy before the draft and you really cannot listen to everything you hear, and that was an example of that.

frubulubu
02-21-2010, 12:15 AM
C'mon Bored, its Mel Kiper for goodness sakes.

FloridaFootball
02-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Well if Charlie Weiss really wants his boy Clausen.......

Basileus777
02-21-2010, 12:29 AM
I'd be fine with this, mostly because I don't see Cassel ever becoming more than a fringe starter.

San Diego Chicken
02-21-2010, 01:18 AM
A trade like that happening within ones own division? Probably not going to happen. Orton is better than Cassel anyway.

RealityCheck
02-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I can see that happen, but it's very unlikely. If you have a good QB, don't trade him.

eagles6606
02-21-2010, 09:25 AM

I think this would be a very good trade for Denver. Obviously Orton is not the guy and Matt Cassell fits Mcdaniels system perfectly. That would allow the Broncos to take the BPA at #11.

BaLLiN
02-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Cassel is only worth pick #45?

H.O.O.D
02-21-2010, 11:30 AM
This actually makes a lot of sense. The Chiefs get back their second rounder from last year and Charlie Weis gets his QB. McDaniels gets Cassell and Orton gets screwed.

Think this all might be a joke though.

IF this happened and I mean IF, Orton would likely be dealt during that draft weekend (St.Louis, Cleveland, Buffalo, Washington, Seattle, SF, Carolina are just a few teams who could have actual interest at that point).

keylime_5
02-21-2010, 11:56 AM
money-wise it doesn't make sense, like Scott mentioned. Cassel is McDaniels' boy though and Clausen is Weis' pride and joy as well. Both sides would win in the end if it did happen I think if you don't count the money KC loses from Cassel's contract extension signing bonus.

TheMatriculator
02-21-2010, 12:11 PM
money-wise it doesn't make sense, like Scott mentioned. Cassel is McDaniels' boy though and Clausen is Weis' pride and joy as well. Both sides would win in the end if it did happen I think if you don't count the money KC loses from Cassel's contract extension signing bonus.

I don't see how it's a win for KC. Givining up the number five choice in the draft and the best shot to get a impact player on defense. Not to mention, operating a revolving at QB.

Never forget who runs things in KC. Cassell is Scott Pioli's QB and he will be given every opportunity to suceed.

Go_Eagles77
02-21-2010, 12:14 PM
This actually makes a lot of sense to me, which means it probably won't happen.

T-RICH49
02-21-2010, 12:23 PM

I don't believe that for one sec

vidae
02-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I agree, I don't believe this for a second. It makes no sense financially and it makes even less sense from a team standpoint.

Cassel actually wasn't that bad last year, considering our interior OL is garbage, we didn't have many weapons and we fired our offensive coordinator a week before the season. I still believe he can be a good QB here in KC.

Gotta love the rumor mill before the draft though. Keeps things exciting.

LizardState
02-21-2010, 01:06 PM
This is beyond ridiculous.

Kiper always throws out some insane story like this around Combine time to build up draft interest. A GM at a pro day last yr. told me that the teams used to never believe anything in the months leading up to draft day, now they don't believe anything other teams or draftniks say in the media 24/7/365. Everybody has to play their cards very close to the vest.

RaiderNation
02-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I just cant see this happening

Basileus777
02-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I agree, I don't believe this for a second. It makes no sense financially and it makes even less sense from a team standpoint.

Cassel actually wasn't that bad last year, considering our interior OL is garbage, we didn't have many weapons and we fired our offensive coordinator a week before the season. I still believe he can be a good QB here in KC.

Gotta love the rumor mill before the draft though. Keeps things exciting.

Cassel wasn't fine last year. The guy actually regressed as the rest of the offense improved. Our line blocked much better late in the season and Charles tore it up, but Cassel played his worst football.

I don't see how it's a win for KC. Givining up the number five choice in the draft and the best shot to get a impact player on defense. Not to mention, operating a revolving at QB.

I don't think the Chiefs would actually do this, but spending the fifth pick on a quarterback makes more sense than reaching for a MLB or taking a LT that's not a clear need.

nicker
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Man I hope that does happen, I love quarterback drama, I wonder if they would try and deal Orton off though...

CC.SD
02-22-2010, 02:42 PM
What was Cassel's signing bonus? KC would have to eat the prorated hit AND shell out for a #5 overall QB (unfortunate since there is such an obvious starting point in Sanchez last year), making this deal extremely expensive for Rib Nation. I don't buy it. I'm not even sure I buy that Clausen will be on the board.

Babylon
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Cassel is only worth pick #45?

He went to KC for an early second and an aging Mike Vrable last year. Would probably be a steal for the Broncos though. For KC the clock basically starts ticking on another 5 year plan.

gpngc
02-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't put it past McD.

He obviously loves Cassel and would definitely be willing to part with a 2nd for him. I don't think there's any question about that.

It just comes down to whether or not the Chiefs like Clausen more than Cassel...

and it's entirely possible they like him more.

It would be a financial nightmare, but as someone else pointed out, they are going to be paying big bucks to a MLB, LT when they kinda have one, or #2 WR unless they can move out of that spot (difficult).

When the Cutler crap started to flare up at this time last year NO ONE actually thought it was a real possibility...

StickSkills
02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I'd rather Weis get his man with Quinn, trade Cassel, and take Berry w/ #5 if avaliable.

villagewarrior
02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't see this happening. With good players around him, Cassel has shown what he can do, and he has a tough guy kind of moxie about him. I think it would be foolish to give up on Cassel in lieu of an unestablished commodity in Clausen. Not to mention, I don't like Clausen. Bradford is far and away the best QB in the draft and he hasn't played in a year. Clausen is simply rated in the top 5 because of the emphasis placed on QBs, but I don't think he would be there any other year.

Brothgar
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
What about Cassel for Brandon Marshall?

villagewarrior
02-23-2010, 11:55 AM
What about Cassel for Brandon Marshall?

That would be tempting, but Marshall is a head case, I don't see how Bowe and Marshall could co-exist on the same team. Plus, who would throw to him?

Brothgar
02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
That would be tempting, but Marshall is a head case, I don't see how Bowe and Marshall could co-exist on the same team. Plus, who would throw to him?

Clausen. Maybe throw Bowe in for a 2nd?

Splat
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Don't like...

vidae
02-23-2010, 12:06 PM
So we'd get rid of Cassel and Bowe, who have been here under Haley, in favor of Marshall and Clausen? What is the point here?

Brothgar
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
So we'd get rid of Cassel and Bowe, who have been here under Haley, in favor of Marshall and Clausen? What is the point here?

well personally I think Marshall for Cassell might be worth it pick up Clausen who now has two dominant WRs and a decent O-Line with the 2nd or 3rd going towards an OG. Could be worth it.

Boxol
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I agree,

The money would be the MAJOR thing in this trade!!!!

BUT after that is makes PERFECT sense.

The big reason why I would support this is because of Cassel and his age. Cassel is gonna be 28 and still plays like a rookie. You give him and the Chiefs a couple more years to get things together and NOW Cassel is 30 years old!!! Also, I think we ALL can agree that Cassel will NEVER be an ELITE QB in the NFL and is at best a Game manager type of QB.

I think Weis/Haley see that Clausen COULD be an Elite QB AND could step in from day 1 and run Weis's system. You have to remember that this next season Cassel will be running a good mix of Weis's system that will take time getting use too. IF Weis/Haley/Pioli REALLY believe that Clausen can be a Elite QB they MUST do this trade and draft Clausen. It just makes SOOOO much sense with Weis being here.

I just think if I were Pioli, I would rather have a 22 year old rookie that is VERY familiar with the Offense that will be ran and is still young and able to grow with the team instead of a 28 year old QB that is still playing like a rookie himself and is never going to be an ELITE QB. It would just be a TON easier for me to watch a TRUE 22 year old rookie learning how the NFL works and taking his lumps over a 28 year old QB that still plays like a rookie and is honestly in the same exact boat as the 22 and 23 year old QBs in this league.

IF Pioli could get Marshall for Cassel he WILL do it!!!! Chief fans talk about MAYBE taking Bryant at #5, but I think Marshall is by far the better WR of the two. SO it would honestly be like drafting Marshall at #5 and also getting a young 22 QB that COULD end up being an ELITE QB in the NFL

vidae
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
ugh /facepalm