PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Alternate History

Zycho32
02-21-2010, 06:04 AM
...let's pretend that you can go through time and rather than experience all the truly monumental moments in history, you instead decided to play god and tamper with the temporal reality.

Your target is American sports.

American Football? You wipe it from existance. It never developed.
Baseball? You wipe the idea from the first person who ever came up with it.
Basketball? Just to be a devious little Richard, you wipe that out too.

Then, you arrange events so that the one summertime sport that America follows rabidly is... Associated Football, or soccer, if you prefer.

This creates a great many questions from which you can ponder, for instance;

-How would 'Professional' clubs and leagues develop from the sheer distance of the United States?
-Which players from the 'forgotten' sports would trandscend barriers and be just as successful, which ones would fall off the face of the earth, or which ones would discover never-found success?
-Given the way sports evolve over the years, what fascinating 'wrinkles' would Americans add to the sport if they legitly gave more than two farts about it?
-Would this country's history in International Competition be very much different from this reality?

...but really, I'm curious as to your opinions on the matter.

steelersfan43
02-21-2010, 08:03 AM
The other day I was thinking about how if football didnt exist no one would know peyton mannings' name. Hes perfect for the quarterback position and nothing else.

Rosebud
02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Peyton could also possible make a good goalkeeper, he's tall, long and smart, keeps his men organized well and has good anticipation, plus despite being a slow mutherfucker he's got quick feet. I don't think he has the reflexes to ever be a great keeper but if he had been playing the sport since early childhood I could see him becoming a very good keeper like Jens Lehman was.

As for american soccer I don't think things would be very different, americans would have much better athletes but I still don't think the skill level would be the same as the major world powers unless all of the inner-city kids were playing soccer instead of basketball, although I still think that us soccer would be more focused on the athleticism than the scary skill that kids in places like Brazil develop growing up.

E-Man
02-21-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't think football(soccer) would be the sport of choice. You gotta remember how popular boxing is here in America. I think that we'd see even more greats in the boxing world, but the overcrowded scene would lead to a quicker rise in mixed martial arts. Americans love fighting, so I think combat sports would pick up the slack before soccer. To be honest, I don't think the nature of soccer isn't something that will ever work in America. It is a similar game to basketball in terms of it being an aerobic sport with multiple "passes" of the ball, but there just isn't enough scoring for it to catch on big.

adschofield
02-21-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think football(soccer) would be the sport of choice. You gotta remember how popular boxing is here in America. I think that we'd see even more greats in the boxing world, but the overcrowded scene would lead to a quicker rise in mixed martial arts. Americans love fighting, so I think combat sports would pick up the slack before soccer. To be honest, I don't think the nature of soccer isn't something that will ever work in America. It is a similar game to basketball in terms of it being an aerobic sport with multiple "passes" of the ball, but there just isn't enough scoring for it to catch on big.

Are you serious, Clark?

George Lippard
02-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Soccer is just horrible. I hope that American ingenuity could fill the void left by football/baseball/whatever with something other than soccer.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Hypothetically, if soccer was the #1 sport in the US, they'd probably be the best at it. Enough about superior athletes, whatever, that's actually completely baseless. What it's about though, is talent pool. There are over 300 million Americans, no soccer oriented country in the world compares to that. It's more than 100 million over what Brazil has. The Americans are good enough at soccer as is, not a world power, but will always be in the World Cup. At the same time, they're an elite hockey team, the best basketball team, a baseball power. And of course, they're one of the only countries that plays football, and with extreme numbers. If all of the athletes who are now playing hockey, basketball, baseball and football grew up playing soccer instead, and putting the same dedication into excelling at soccer as they did for their old sports, I don't doubt for a second that they'd be a world superpower. I don't think any country necessarily has SUPERIOR athletes, just a bigger number of great athletes. And that's why they'd be elite.

02-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Soccer is just horrible. I hope that American ingenuity could fill the void left by football/baseball/whatever with something other than soccer.

He didn't say he would eliminate...

2ouXw328WYI

George Lippard
02-21-2010, 01:09 PM
So, China could put together the best soccer/baseball/football/basketball teams in the world? I sort of buy that, if we're talking talent pools.

02-21-2010, 01:13 PM
So, China could put together the best soccer/baseball/football/basketball teams in the world? I sort of buy that, if we're talking talent pools.

I don't see why it would be impossible. I mean, they dominate the summer olympics every time. Their best athletes are very athletic. They just focus on sports that aren't necessarily big around the world, possibly due to their relative isolation from most other places. They're starting to turn to basketball, but that will take a while to set in because they don't have the roots yet.

Plus, they're selectively breeding athletes over there. That's gotta count for something.

Gay Ork Wang
02-21-2010, 01:14 PM
they are just way too concerned with dominating tabletennis and stuff like badminton, highdiving and volleyball

EvilNixon
02-21-2010, 01:15 PM
He didn't say he would eliminate...

2ouXw328WYI

Great equalizer for white guys.

George Lippard
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Plus, they're selectively breeding athletes over there. That's gotta count for something.

Haha, like the Russians. Eugenics at its finest. I have to agree overall.

E-Man
02-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Are you serious, Clark?

Well yeah. Why not? I'm not saying that soccer sucks. I'm just saying that it's not popular in America for a reason. It's behind football, baseball, basketball, boxing, and now MMA here in America. Seeing as how MMA has risen to being near mainstream, I doubt that soccer would be popular in the absence of football, basketball, and baseball. It just doesn't click with Americans for some reason.

niel89
02-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I think that Rugby would be on of the more popular sports in america possibly. It is very similar to football in terms of physicality and explosive play. A large amount of NFL players would be able to translate pretty well. They have common roots also.