PDA

View Full Version : The Official Rolando McClain Thread

bored of education
02-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Rolando McClain is my first choice for the Chiefs, but I don't see them drafting him with a few other needs that could be addressed with the pick at number 5.

Where do you compare him to other top ILB prospects in the past?

Does the success of Willis increase the likelihood that he is drafted top 10? Jerod Mayo, whom I have slightly lower on the scale than McClain was in the top 10.

If a team is in need of a team captain, who will led them for a decade this is your guy. He do not have many glaring issues in his game. He is smart, strong, can shed blocks, makes plays between the hashes and at times can go sideline to sideline (which may be his only issue), he actually can drop back and cover.

Help me here? what are his most glaring weaknesses in the man I have rated number 4 overall in the draft class?

vidae
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
It's no surprise that McClain is #1 on my Chiefs board but the closer we get to dday it's becoming less and less likely we take him, unless we can get some trade down scenario going.

There is nothing to dislike about this kid, at all. I would reach for him if it were me. We'll have to wait and see how he times though.

bored of education
02-21-2010, 08:44 PM
I really think regardless of where you have him listed on your big board, he is can't miss.

cdmPSU17
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Would be really nice if the Phins could land him. I could easily see him becoming the leader of the defense after JT retires. In fact, if he's not there at 12, I hope we trade down and pick up another 3rd or even a late 2nd.

Morton
02-21-2010, 09:04 PM
I hope the Dolphins get McClain too. I would hate for him to drop to the Giants and then have to watch him beast on the Eagles twice every season.

Thank God that Bill Parcells understands the importance of good linebackers.

TACKLE
02-21-2010, 09:07 PM
For any of you who have questions about McClain, just put on the NC game. He controlled the game from the MLB position. I was blown away with his performance. Probably the safest pick in the draft and is regarded as one smartest, hardest working players out there.

FrankGore
02-21-2010, 09:18 PM
If you're comparing with Patrick Willis, McClain really isn't that explosive kind of player. He also doesn't tackle as well as you'd expect from a guy that big. He is a very good, well-rounded linebacker who can help glue a defense together, though. He should be a very good NFL linebacker and the leader of a defense, but I don't know about being a top-5 pick. There's been equally good or better prospects in years past and very rarely have they gone THAT high.

V.I.P
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Is it just me or does McClain look more suited to play a 3-4 defense?

bored of education
02-21-2010, 09:22 PM
He is more suited to play in that 3-4, but I think he could play in a 4-3 as well.

FUNBUNCHER
02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
McClain is more than solid, but he's not an explosive tackler for a 6'4, 260# ILB. That's my only beef, that he doesn't blow up ball carriers.

I totally agree that he's one of the safest top rated prospects in the draft.

TACKLE
02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
He's also an excellent blitzer. An attribute that some of the top LB's from the past (Curry, Willis, Mayo) were lacking as prospects.

DeepThreat
02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
My two biggest problems with McClain are lack of explosiveness, and his tendency to play high. He has very good athleticism and quickness, but he just doesn't seem as explosive as Willis and Mayo did. I'm afraid that he will falter in the NFL if he doesn't start working on playing lower, especially when tackling.

Cicero
02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I really think regardless of where you have him listed on your big board, he is can't miss.

Aaron Curry?

bored of education
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Aaron Curry?

I thought Aaron Curry was very good. I like McClain more. Maybe because i have an erection for the 3-4 and thought Curry had no place in it.

RaiderNation
02-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I have him 4th in my overall rankings right now. The guy is simply a beast. Thats all you have to say

TACKLE
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
My two biggest problems with McClain are lack of explosiveness, and his tendency to play high. He has very good athleticism and quickness, but he just doesn't seem as explosive as Willis and Mayo did. I'm afraid that he will falter in the NFL if he doesn't start working on playing lower, especially when tackling.

He's not as explosive but he's also 3 inches taller and 15lbs heavier than Willis and Mayo were coming out.

RaiderNation
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
For any of you who have questions about McClain, just put on the NC game. He controlled the game from the MLB position. I was blown away with his performance. Probably the safest pick in the draft and is regarded as one smartest, hardest working players out there.

Also wasnt he really sick before the game too? Shows how much of a beast he is

bored of education
02-21-2010, 09:40 PM
He was very good in the game vs. FLA. IN those two games combined had like 20 tackles, 3 pbus, 1 tfl etc i dunno. But he is pure sex

superman
02-21-2010, 09:49 PM
i don't think he'll live up to the 4.5 40, he's not anywhere near the freak willis is.

but he'll run about a 4.65 and be a very safe bet to be one of the best mlb's in the league in a few years. as a fins fan, i'd be very happy with him at 12.

KCDizz
02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
i had him projected to go to the cheifs, maybe before anyone did, but now im hearing they are looking to move albert to ROT and draft an LOT. McClain would be a great fit with the cheifs and i believe is worthy of a top 5 pick

"The Chiefs are expected to move Branden Albert to right tackle in 2010 and pursue a left tackle in April's draft.
Albert has been slow to develop after being the 15th overall pick in 2008's draft, and after coach Todd Haley made him slim down last offseason, he allowed the fifth most sacks (9) in the NFL while playing left tackle. Albert finished strong, but the Chiefs could have their eye on Oklahoma State's Russell Okung or Rutgers' Anthony Davis with the No. 5 overall pick."
Source: ESPN.com

vidae
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't trust that source. Arrowhead is a VAULT and no information gets out so I think they're just fishing.

Saints-Tigers
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I like him better than I liked Mayo by a fair margin, but not as much as I like Willis.

I don't think Willis going so late should dictate him going late, because if we re-draft, people like Willis and Mayo likely go higher(by a lot maybe).

RaiderNation
02-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Rolando can go as high as 5 and as low as 10/11(Broncos). So for the teams wanting him, they will have to trade up

zachsaints52
02-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Is it just me or does McClain look more suited to play a 3-4 defense?

Its what he played in college, so he already has the 3-4 ILB spot pretty much covered. He would be my pick to the Chefs, and a very smart pick.

vidae
02-22-2010, 02:14 AM
If I'm the Chiefs I take him at 5 and don't look back, but I could be biased.

BuffaloBillsFan
02-22-2010, 02:19 AM
McClain is not in the same category as Patrick or Jon Beason, he may very well be a good linebacker but I highly doubt that he will be an elite one in the NFL. To be honest, I'm not so sure that he is much better than Spikes when the guy is healthy, this class to me seems pretty weak at ILB. It's my personal opinion that both McClain & Spikes would be 2nd round picks if they were in last year's draft with guys like Curry, Cushing, Matthew, Maualuga & Laurinaitis.

AntoinCD
02-22-2010, 02:33 AM
I personally think McClain is being slightly overrated and with the top end talent in this draft I'm not sure I see a likely scenario he goes even top 10. However last year he would have been clearly the number 2 LB after Curry. Even though Cushing had a great year last year he had serious question marks about being too stiff and what his actual position would be etc. As for the ILBs, McClain is a far better all round prospect than Maualuga and Laurinaitis.

As for the draft, my bet would be Denver or Miami

George Lippard
02-22-2010, 09:47 AM
More like Rolando McSex. I have him rated #3 on my big board. The ceiling isn't on a Curry level but the floor is very high. In terms of prospects, I definitely have him rated higher than Rey Rey, Pile Jumper and roid boy.

Outside of AJ Hawk, you've got to love some of these LBs in recent years. They seem to be pretty sure things.

yourfavestoner
02-22-2010, 10:27 AM
If I'm the Chiefs I take him at 5 and don't look back, but I could be biased.

Personally, I think you guys would be better off grabbing Okung with the #5 pick and picking up Spikes and a pass rusher in the second round.

yourfavestoner
02-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I personally think McClain is being slightly overrated and with the top end talent in this draft I'm not sure I see a likely scenario he goes even top 10. However last year he would have been clearly the number 2 LB after Curry. Even though Cushing had a great year last year he had serious question marks about being too stiff and what his actual position would be etc. As for the ILBs, McClain is a far better all round prospect than Maualuga and Laurinaitis.

As for the draft, my bet would be Denver or Miami

I've been saying that since the NC game. He's the "flavor of the week" underclassman linebacker that we see every year. The only difference is that he came out after his junior year instead of going back for his senior year to get nitpicked and fall to round two.

Brandon Spikes is a better and more productive player than Rolando McClain. ;)

vidae
02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Personally, I think you guys would be better off grabbing Okung with the #5 pick and picking up Spikes and a pass rusher in the second round.

The only problem here is that OT is not a need.

"But Vidae, you could move Albert to guard thereby fixing two OL spots!"

Albert is a LT, not a G. He lost a bunch of weight and was almost perfect at the end of the season. There is no reason to move him now.

The pick has to be a defensive playmaker, and I doubt that Berry will be there at 5, so it's process of elimination!

DeathbyStat
02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Wouldn't mind the Steelers trading up to get him

DoWnThEfiElD
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
McClain has been very good since he began starting as a true frosh. He has great size and given his size and athleticism I think he could have similar potential to a Urlacher in the NFL. Of course this greatly depends on the team that drafts him and the scheme.

He could have a big impact in NY though with their line.

CC.SD
02-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Rolando is Mr. Plow
That's his name
That name again
Is Mr. Plow