PDA

View Full Version : Stadium discussion

The_Dude
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I am glad that I have a student teacher so that I can dedicate time at work to think about important things.... like the Vikings.

The Vikings lease on the Metrodome is set to expire in 2011 & with no clear cut option on the table, both sides need to step it up and work on a compromise. I think that it is safe to say that it will not be a tax increase (especially with Pawlenty in office until the end of 2010) given our current economic crunch here in MN. I also don't see the Wilfs/Vikings taking the possible option of buying the Metrodome and renovating it. They (the Wilfs, other NFL owners, & the NFL) want nice, big, shiny, new stadiums so I see renovation as being out of the question.

I think that our best options for some sort of public funding (which I am partially in favor of, depending on the options/outcome) would come from a combination of:

1) "Racinos" ~ Let's put slot machines at Canterbury Downs & Running Aces. I would also be in favor of allowing slot machines at the new stadium. I know that this would go against current state law (see Indian Gaming Regulatory Act), but this is an issue that could be brought to the MN public in the form of an amendment vote on the ballot. Upon paying off the set amount needed for the stadium, the funds from the slots could then be diverted into the general fund.

2) Have a lottery game (scratch off style) in which proceeds go directly towards the funding of the stadium. Once then necessary amount has been reached, the game could then be discontinued.

3) Create an additional option for license plates. Similar to the "critical habitat" license plates, the additional fee necessary for purchasing these license plates would be used for funding the building of a new stadium & this option of license plates could be made unavailable once the amount needed has been reached.

4) Let's get the NFL to pony up some money for the building of stadiums for their teams. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar a year organization. They are pushing hard for new stadiums to be built, so why not put the money where their collective mouth is...

I think that these options would only work if coupled with a significant amount of $ paid by the Vikings organization itself &/or the NFL ponying up.

I love my Vikings and I would be heart-broken if they were to end up leaving town. I don't see a move to L.A. as a current legitimate option, but a couple of years down the line it could be.

Anyway these are just my thoughts.

Thoughts?

B-rand
02-22-2010, 10:51 PM
You neglected to mention something that is also a big factor in all this:

The Vikings need to find a corporate sponsor for the new stadium! My main suggestions are Verizon Wireless and Best Buy.

I like the Verizon idea for a few reasons:
-One of the biggest original wireless companies in MN was Midwest Wireless (which was bought by Alltell, which was bought by Verizon) so they have a strong base in Minnesota
- It is becoming popular to offer wireless network access while at sporting events, and Verizon could get an investment in the stadium by being the sole provider of that service (which usually costs the consumer a price to use that access) this is for things like your iPhone to connect to the internet so you can update your facebook status and pictures while at the game, or check fantasy stats for your team while there. It is not for things like phone service, just to be clear.

vikes_28
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I have no idea. It seems logical, but it probably won't happen.

The_Dude
02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
You neglected to mention something that is also a big factor in all this:

The Vikings need to find a corporate sponsor for the new stadium! My main suggestions are Verizon Wireless and Best Buy.

I like the Verizon idea for a few reasons:
-One of the biggest original wireless companies in MN was Midwest Wireless (which was bought by Alltell, which was bought by Verizon) so they have a strong base in Minnesota
- It is becoming popular to offer wireless network access while at sporting events, and Verizon could get an investment in the stadium by being the sole provider of that service (which usually costs the consumer a price to use that access) this is for things like your iPhone to connect to the internet so you can update your facebook status and pictures while at the game, or check fantasy stats for your team while there. It is not for things like phone service, just to be clear.

You are correct, but i think that corporate sponsorships are usually given out after the stadium has been built as a money making practice for the stadium ownership rather than fund raising for the building of the stadium.

I love the idea of local sponsorships for local stadiums. I was very happy that the Twins sold the naming rights to Target & I would like the Vikings to do something similar like with Best Buy, Cargill, 3M, Medtronic, General Mills, etc.

djp
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Sticking this thread so all stadium related chat goes into this topic

Vikes99ej
04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't see anything positive happening.

The_Dude
04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
not in the current economic conditions.

who knows what the popularity of the new twins stadium might due to sway some people's opinions

vikes_28
04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I just hope this pans out for the Vikings. I don't live in Minnesota so I don't know how good of a Governor Pawlenty is. But it seems to me that he doesn't have their pro football franchise on the top of their priorities. I understand that it's hard, but when you have a team in one of the most popular sports leagues in the world, you'd think that you'd do everything to keep them around right?

marshallb
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I just hope this pans out for the Vikings. I don't live in Minnesota so I don't know how good of a Governor Pawlenty is. But it seems to me that he doesn't have their pro football franchise on the top of their priorities. I understand that it's hard, but when you have a team in one of the most popular sports leagues in the world, you'd think that you'd do everything to keep them around right?

I'm not all that up on Pawlenty either, although I do live in MN, due mainly to the fact that I am only 17. I do think he and the state government do want to keep the team here, but want to do it as cheap as possible, and would probably prefer to put it off as long as possible, probably in hope that the recession will get over and the budget crisis/deficit will get better.

The_Dude
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM
T-Paw is out after 2010. The problem is that a DFL Gov will probably also be against public funding for a stadium. The state's economy has to right itself before this will get serious consideration... either that or the lease actually has to expire to light a fire under the arses of the legislature. We'll see.

vikes_28
04-07-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm not all that up on Pawlenty either, although I do live in MN, due mainly to the fact that I am only 17. I do think he and the state government do want to keep the team here, but want to do it as cheap as possible, and would probably prefer to put it off as long as possible, probably in hope that the recession will get over and the budget crisis/deficit will get better.

You're only 17? I thought you were older than that.

The_Dude
04-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/07/mark-wilf-remains-confident-that-a-stadium-solution-is-coming/

Mark Wilf remains confident that a stadium solution is coming
Posted by Mike Florio on April 7, 2010 11:35 PM ET
As the Minnesota Twins launch their long-coveted baseball stadium, the Minnesota Vikings continue to wait for their own new digs.

Perhaps the wait won't be all that much longer.

Team president Mark Wilf said Wednesday that he's hopeful that state lawmakers will address the problem this year. "There's five weeks to go in our legislative session here and we're confident that we can still reach a resolution to get a stadium solution," Wilf said, per the Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal. "We're working hard with legislative leaders to get a solution done and a lot of very creative and good ideas have come forward and we feel something will get done this session."

But what if it doesn't? "The reality is we're competing with 31 other teams, of which 28 have new stadiums in the last 15 years or major renovations," Wilf said. "We're fighting an uphill battle and that upstream fight can only go on so long."

Wilf didn't say that the Vikings would look to move if a solution isn't reached. But he doesn't have to. The Vikings become stadium free agents after he 2011 season. And L.A. is waiting.

marshallb
04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
You're only 17? I thought you were older than that.

haha nope, I'll be 18 in 4 days though!!!!

marshallb
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Here's a little bit of good news on the stadium. Not much, but a little bit of a positive.:
http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/90170442.html?page=1&c=y

Crazy_Chris
04-09-2010, 04:06 PM
1) "Racinos" ~ Let's put slot machines at Canterbury Downs & Running Aces. I would also be in favor of allowing slot machines at the new stadium. I know that this would go against current state law (see Indian Gaming Regulatory Act), but this is an issue that could be brought to the MN public in the form of an amendment vote on the ballot. Upon paying off the set amount needed for the stadium, the funds from the slots could then be diverted into the general fund.

Apparently if they are granted Slot Machines these Racinos will be willing to give $40 Million a year to the Vikes Stadium fund.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/90269617.html?elr=KArks8c7PaP3E77K_3c::D3aDhUoaEaD _ec7PaP3iUiacyKUUr

The_Dude
04-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I like the idea of Racinos for the purpose of adding to the general fund, too. If they can take in the estimated $100 mil per year, our legislature would be complete morons (or should i say just offer more proof that they are morons) to not pass it. This would continue to help our state well beyond the completion of funding the stadium.

marshallb
04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I like the idea of Racinos for the purpose of adding to the general fund, too. If they can take in the estimated $100 mil per year, our legislature would be complete morons (or should i say just offer more proof that they are morons) to not pass it. This would continue to help our state well beyond the completion of funding the stadium.

Definitely, it sounds like such a smart thing to do, especially with the budget deficit, adding that much money to the budget definitely can't hurt.

Crazy_Chris
04-29-2010, 07:08 PM
It's starting to look like a solution more than likely won't be this coming this year...

http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/92430934.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUUs

The_Dude
05-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Here we go. I am surprised that they aren't going the Racino route.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/bipartisan-bill-for-vikings-stadium-ties-payments-to-benefits/

Bipartisan bill for Vikings stadium ties payments to benefits
Posted by Mike Florio on May 3, 2010 11:25 AM ET
As expected, a new, bipartisan bill was introduced Monday by Minnesota legislators hoping to keep the Vikings from joining the former Minneapolis Lakers in Los Angeles. A news release issued by those sponsoring the bill bears the following headline: "ONLY THOSE WHO BENEFITS FROM A VIKINGS STADIUM WOULD PAY FOR IT."

The proposed bill contemplates that the team will cough up $264 million, and that the remaining $527 million will be spread out over 40 years. The annual principal and debt payments would come from a hotel surtax (1.5 percent, for an estimated annual revenue stream of $8 million), a slice of jersey purchases (6.875 percent, which is expected to generate $16.9 million per year), a sports-themed scratch-off lottery game (which is expected to raise $5.5 million per year), and a rental-car tax (which also is expected to raise $5.5 million per year).

"The Vikings only have 20 games left in the Metrodome, and there are two weeks left of session. It's clear that the window to build this stadium is closing," said state Senator Tom Bakk, chief-author of the Senate version of the bill. "If we wait another year to move this project forward, it will cost another $50 million. This bill gives us the opportunity to put 13,000 people back to work, bringing $300 million in new wages to Minnesota. And it guarantees the Vikings will stay in Minnesota for the next 40 years."

In the more concise words of United States Poet Laureate Daniel Lawrence Whitney, "Git 'r done."

Vikes99ej
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Get it done!

The_Dude
05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Vikings stadium bill defeated in House committee
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 12:35 PM ET
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Only two days after a bipartisan bill to build a new Vikings stadium was introduced, the measure has died.

Mike Kaszuba of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the 10-9 defeat came only hours after another House committee had approved it. But as Kaszuba points out, "[A]t this stage of the legislative session, set-backs for major bills can sometimes be only temporary."

Which means that most of the time it isn't only temporary.

Which means that in the case it could be permanent.

Which means that those L.A. Rams fans who used to wear watermelons as hats might soon be able to add horns to their headgear.

FuzzyGopher
05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aTu8jiuQE5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aTu8jiuQE5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The_Dude
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Vikings stadium bill makes like Lazarus in the legislature
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 3:08 PM ET
Killed in a House committee this morning, the bill to build a new Vikings stadium found new life in a Senate committee this afternoon.

The new version incorporates Personal Seat Licenses as a mechanism for raising money beyond the $264 million that the Vikings will pay, according to WCCO.com. Previous plans to use a variety of taxes and to foist bond payments onto the city of Minneapolis as of 2020 have been scuttled.

Meanwhile, the Vikings claimed in a House committee hearing that they are losing money (which could have CBA ramification), and the team declined to answer whether the project can wait another year (which means that it can). Also, Governor Tim Pawlenty suddenly seems to be less interested in the stadium bill and more interested in fixing the state's deficit, given a Wednesday Minnesota Supreme Court decision finding that Pawlenty exceeded his authority by cutting $5.3 million from a state program.

So while progress is being made, there's a long way to go -- and there isn't much time to get something done in 2010. The legislative session ends this month.

if they add on personal seat licenses, they can kiss my season ticket money goodbye. That is something that I am not onboard with...

vikes_28
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Vikings stadium bill makes like Lazarus in the legislature
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 3:08 PM ET
Killed in a House committee this morning, the bill to build a new Vikings stadium found new life in a Senate committee this afternoon.

The new version incorporates Personal Seat Licenses as a mechanism for raising money beyond the $264 million that the Vikings will pay, according to WCCO.com. Previous plans to use a variety of taxes and to foist bond payments onto the city of Minneapolis as of 2020 have been scuttled.

Meanwhile, the Vikings claimed in a House committee hearing that they are losing money (which could have CBA ramification), and the team declined to answer whether the project can wait another year (which means that it can). Also, Governor Tim Pawlenty suddenly seems to be less interested in the stadium bill and more interested in fixing the state's deficit, given a Wednesday Minnesota Supreme Court decision finding that Pawlenty exceeded his authority by cutting $5.3 million from a state program.

So while progress is being made, there's a long way to go -- and there isn't much time to get something done in 2010. The legislative session ends this month.

if they add on personal seat licenses, they can kiss my season ticket money goodbye. That is something that I am not onboard with...
As long as they can get it done. I don't care.

djp
05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
As long as they can get it done. I don't care.

You aren't a season ticket holder, though. My family is, and I doubt we'd be keeping the tickets if they put this in play. Maybe we would pay for the first year of it, but I doubt it after that.

marshallb
05-05-2010, 05:07 PM
The state legislature is just trying to do everything they can so they can vote it down or make the Vikings pay for it in one way or another, at first the committee changes it so the user taxes are gone and public taxes are in their place, now they're gonna try and raise the amount the Vikings essentially pay, which was already more than they agreed with.

The_Dude
05-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I still want to see the NFL pony up some money for these new stadiums. This league makes money hand over fist and will make even more money with most/all of their teams in new shiny stadiums.

vikes_28
05-22-2010, 02:12 AM
http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/MinnesotaVikings/newfront.jpg

http://www.minnpost.com/client_files/alternate_images/4155/mp_main_wide_StadiumOpen452.jpg

Oh what could be....

Well,

This is the latest. This website has some good information...Idk if you guys know about it.

http://www.minnesotamomentum.com/latest/

It even shows which people voted for and against it.

djp
12-14-2010, 02:45 PM
lol @ people that say we shouldn't build a Vikings stadium. Every city that has lost an NFL team has immediately regretted the lost revenue and spent MORE money bringing a franchise back than retaining the one that left. Yes, a stadium will be expensive, and yes, we will have to help pay for it. But a stadium will create revenue/jobs that will last longer and make more money than the one time payment you'll make.

MNtoWA Guy
12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Obviously Wilf, the NFL, and the Vikings want a new stadium of their own, but what about the possibility of sharing TCF bank stadium with the Gophers? Before everyone starts rattling of a reply just hear me out first.

Yes I understand the stadium is not NFL sized. TCF would have to be expanded, but the university did design the stadium for a possible expansion up to 80,000 seats in the future. I also know there would be other issues to resolve like extra parking needs and allowing the sale of alcohol at the stadium to name a couple, but it might be a less expensive option.

Having watched a bunch of Gopher games this season I like TCF and its design, and I like the thought of the Vikings getting back to playing outdoor football. I know this option will never happen due to every team wanting their own diggs, but what do you all think?

vikes_28
12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Obviously Wilf, the NFL, and the Vikings want a new stadium of their own, but what about the possibility of sharing TCF bank stadium with the Gophers? Before everyone starts rattling of a reply just hear me out first.

Yes I understand the stadium is not NFL sized. TCF would have to be expanded, but the university did design the stadium for a possible expansion up to 80,000 seats in the future. I also know there would be other issues to resolve like extra parking needs and allowing the sale of alcohol at the stadium to name a couple, but it might be a less expensive option.

Having watched a bunch of Gopher games this season I like TCF and its design, and I like the thought of the Vikings getting back to playing outdoor football. I know this option will never happen due to every team wanting their own diggs, but what do you all think?

Sounds like a good idea. But it's pretty unlikely.

MNtoWA Guy
12-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a good idea. But it's pretty unlikely.

Yeah I know, I wish it were this easy. My only hope is that the Metrodump roof collapse brings the stadium discussion back to life in the legislature. Dayton as governor actually wants to see the Vikings get a stadium and stay in Minnesota, not like that dick T-Paw. Plus, there are several other members of the house who want to push a new stadium funding bill through once the new year starts.

The Wilfs are just going to have to be realistic and pony-up more dough than they are currently offering. It is not realistic for the state to have to pay 2/3 of the cost of the stadium in this economy. I know the NFL is also playing with the idea of offering money to the teams looking to build or renovate their stadiums.

J-Mike88
12-15-2010, 08:16 AM
lol @ people that say we shouldn't build a Vikings stadium. Every city that has lost an NFL team has immediately regretted the lost revenue and spent MORE money bringing a franchise back than retaining the one that left. Yes, a stadium will be expensive, and yes, we will have to help pay for it. But a stadium will create revenue/jobs that will last longer and make more money than the one time payment you'll make.
That's true.

I hear Ziggy was up there with a giant scissors on the roof after the snow hit.

vikes_28
12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I think I saw something on NFL Network that said we were playing at TCF Bank Stadium this week.

VikingsFan
02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
The saga of everyone's favorite issue continues.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/115733034.html

Dome decision: Raze the roof

Replacing the roof, which will be a first for the 30-year-old stadium, is expected to cost about $18 million

Always good to run into more expenses for the Met while we try to shake the city down for more money. Oy vey.

Crazy_Chris
04-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Article on the new stadium bill

Top officials in Minneapolis and Hennepin County expressed skepticism Friday about the details of a long-awaited stadium bill emerging at the Legislature.

Viewed as two important potential local partners on a new Vikings stadium, officials in both the city and county said the bill wasn't structured in a way that would allow them to participate.

Hennepin County Commissioner Peter McLaughlin called the bill "badly timed, badly designed and I hope it comes to a bad end. I wouldn't even start talking to the Vikings until they bring half a billion dollars to the table."

Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak said the draft bill was "a positive development" because it lists several statewide funding sources.

But, he cautioned, "it is unlikely that Minneapolis could lead a bid, especially when we're facing massive state cuts [in local government aid]. There will be some ways we can be a partner, and we've already been a massive investor in infrastructure that makes the [Metrodome] site cheaper to build."

Minneapolis is home to the aging Dome, where the Vikings' contract is running out.

Even Ramsey County, which has launched an aggressive bid to host a new stadium, balked at some elements of the bill.

Ramsey County Commissioner Tony Bennett, who's leading the charge to build the stadium on a former munitions site in Arden Hills, said the $250 million to $300 million listed as the state's share was feasible for the county, too.

But, he said, Ramsey County has no interest in a bidding war against Minneapolis or Hennepin County. If it comes to that, he said, "the heck with it. We know what we can provide -- a 260-acre site with tailgating and all the amenities that go with [NFL] football."

The draft bill, details of which leaked out Thursday night, leaves the site for a stadium open to bid solicitations. It lists various funding sources for the state's share, including a sports memorabilia tax, sale of stadium naming rights, a surcharge on the income of pro-football players and a sales tax on luxury boxes.

Local governments are invited to propose stadium sites along with plans on how to cover their share of the costs. The bill would allow them to levy a half-cent sales tax on entertainment, lodging, food, beverages and tickets.

Jurisdictions that don't land the stadium could levy taxes to support their own facilities "of regional or state significance," as long as 40 percent goes to the Vikings stadium.

The Vikings would be required to pay a dollar for every $2 of public money spent on the stadium, and would have to cover cost overruns.

The stadium bill, sponsored by Sen. Julie Rosen, R-Fairmont, and Rep. Morrie Lanning, R-Moorhead, is expected to be introduced next week. Both have been under pressure to delay the bill until the state's projected $5 billion deficit is addressed.

Rosen said Friday the time had come.

"The reality is that people need to know that this can't wait until next year," she said. "Everyone knows this is a job creator. The time to discuss the stadium is now that we're close to finishing the budget."

Lester Bagley, the Vikings' stadium czar, said he took issue with provisions that gave naming rights to the state and created a player-income surcharge and a luxury-box tax. The team would be open to paying cost overruns, he said, as long as the bill is properly balanced.

Vikings say there's still time

"It's not the final bill, and there are some issues that would impact the team's competitiveness that we think need to find a better solution, but there's time to do that," Bagley said.

Ted Mondale, chair of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, said the recent trend is for government to take more of the naming rights revenues. He called the structure of the bill sound.

"There are some things the Vikings won't like," he said, "but I think if they were too happy we wouldn't be doing our job."

Elements of the bill worry other stadium supporters.

Minnesota Chamber of Commerce President David Olson said he'd be more comfortable with a revenue stream similar to that of Target Field, for which Hennepin County raised its sales tax to provide the local share.

But Hennepin County commissioners were unmoved by a provision that would allow the county to apply excess revenues from the Target Field tax to a new stadium. Much of that money now goes to youth sports facilities and libraries.

County Board Chair Mike Opat, who spearheaded the drive for a new Twins baseball stadium six years ago, pronounced himself indifferent to this latest effort.

"I don't know if their funding sources are real, and any notion that the state would select the site is not practical," he said.

Like Bennett, Opat said Hennepin County won't compete for a site. "If we get into this, it will be with a plan and to seek approval for a plan, or we're not going to get into it at all," he said.

Minneapolis officials said they opposed another provision, to use excess convention center revenues. "That would be a nonstarter," City Council President Barb Johnson said.

At the Capitol Friday, the stadium bill landed with a thud. In a rare display of bipartisan unity, both sides said that any talk of public subsidies for a new stadium would have to take a back seat to solving the state's budget woes.

"Until they have a site, until they have a plan, until they have a partner, it's awfully hard for us and the Vikings to get to that point," said House Speaker Kurt Zellers, a Republican.

His DFL counterpart, Minority Leader Paul Thissen, said that "if we're not willing to raise taxes for our schools and police and firefighters, it's very hard to see rasing taxes to build a Vikings stadium," he said.

Gov. Mark Dayton called the bill "a good start," and said it included elements he considered essential, such as no reliance on the state's general fund.

"It's up to the Legislature to move this forward," he said, "but I am ready to work with them to create a 'people's stadium.'"

http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/119101509.html

The_Dude
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
State Legislature is moving towards some sort of plan.... we'll have to wait & see how well it will be received with a multi-billion dollar budget shortfall.

Vikings stadium bill will be submitted today
Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
Getty ImagesThe folks in Minnesota are trying to build a new stadium for the Vikings before the Vikings join in California the NBA team that once played in the Twin Cities.

Dave Orrick of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that a plan for partially financing a stadium with taxpayer money will be submitted to the Legislature on Friday.

The plan would raise up to $300 million via a sales tax on memorabilia and luxury seats, a lottery game, and even an income tax on the team’s players. The plan also would permit the local government hosting the stadium to raise money via a sales tax — without the measure being submitted to the public for a vote.

The bill doesn’t specify a site for the stadium, but it specifies a process that could result in a site being picked in early 2012.

Potential locations include an area in Minneapolis near Target Field, where the Twins now play, the site of the current Metrodome, which would displace the Vikings for one or more seasons, and a location in nearby Ramsey County, site of the former Twin Cities Army Ammunitions Plant.

And if the folks in Minnesota can’t make it work in any of those locations, the fourth option goes by the initials “L” and “A”.

Join us at noon ET on PFT Live for a discussion of the situation with Vikings V.P. of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley.

Crazy_Chris
04-08-2011, 04:31 PM
From everything I have seen it seems that Ramsey County is the most logical place as of right. They want the stadium, they have space for a stadium + tailgating, and they are willing have a county wide sales tax to help pay for it.

I will have no sympathy for Zygi if he can't get a deal done here because he is picky about where he wants the stadium to be.

FuzzyGopher
04-08-2011, 05:00 PM
How the hell can you ask for several hundred million dollars for stadium that has no blue print or site picked out?

Crazy_Chris
04-08-2011, 06:25 PM
How the hell can you ask for several hundred million dollars for stadium that has no blue print or site picked out?

Thats a good question. But something, needs to get done...

Vikings V.P. of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley (pictured) joined PFT Live on Friday to discuss the status of efforts to get a new venue built in the Twin Cities.

Regardless of what happens, it’s clear that the Vikings aren’t interested in staying in the Metrodome.

“It’s not a threat, it’s just kind of the reality,” Bagley said. “The Metrodome no longer works.”

To prove his point, Bagley disclosed a fact that had not previously been reported. Due to the status of the Metrodome, which experienced a roof collapse during the 2010 season, the Vikings had trouble getting another team to agree to play an exhibition game there.

“We couldn’t even get a preseason game scheduled this year,” Bagley said. “We could not get a partner and the league had to step in and help us get a preseason game scheduled because of that facility. . . . [T]he facility is no longer viable and we’ve got to resolve the issue.”

It appears that the issue will be resolved during the current legislative session, one way or the other. With the Vikings due to become free agents after the 2011 season, failure to make significant progress could result in a relocation of the team.

So be advised, Vikings fans. If you want the team to stay in Minnesota, it’s now or quite possibly never.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/08/vikings-had-to-get-help-from-league-to-find-preseason-opponent/

It's sad that they couldn't find a team willing to play a pre-season game there.

marshallb
04-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Thats a good question. But something, needs to get done...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/08/vikings-had-to-get-help-from-league-to-find-preseason-opponent/

It's sad that they couldn't find a team willing to play a pre-season game there.

Hopefully that forces them to do something. I've been sick of the state always spewing the ******** that the Metrodome is a sufficient venue for a professional football team and that we just need to do a little refurbishing and it will be fine, when it straight up is not sufficient and this lays that fact out as simple and powerfully as it can get really.

FuzzyGopher
05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
There's some rumors floating around that on Thursday it will be announced that the Vikings and Ramsey county have agreed to a deal. Hopefully it's true.

Crazy_Chris
05-03-2011, 04:47 PM
There's some rumors floating around that on Thursday it will be announced that the Vikings and Ramsey county have agreed to a deal. Hopefully it's true.

That would make my day, hope it is true!

FuzzyGopher
05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.twincities.com/ci_18003590?nclick_check=1

No deal yet but it sounds like they're pretty close.

B-rand
05-09-2011, 09:01 AM
The Arden Hills (Ramsey County) site makes the most sense to me, long term especially. Renovating the current Metrodome makes me think that the foundation has a limited life-span left, and could cause more problems in the future. Plus I hate parking in the parking ramps.....I would go to as many games as possible just for the tailgating up at the Arden Hills site. Get 'R Done!

vikes_28
05-09-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fbf11e/article/report-officials-to-propose-building-stadium-at-metrodome-site?module=HP_headlines

So now the city of Minneapolis still wants a piece. Now that they are so close to a deal in Arden Hills.

MidwestJimmy
05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I still want to see the NFL pony up some money for these new stadiums. This league makes money hand over fist and will make even more money with most/all of their teams in new shiny stadiums.

I agree. Also, I'm not sure it's fair to make every taxpayer pay for a football stadium, since not every taxpayer is a football fan.

FuzzyGopher
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM
It looks like a ******* log cabin, who deigned that hideous piece of ****? Not to mention they want to basically keep half of the dome and just make it look different while making the Vikings play at TCF for 2-3 years and it costs about the same as the Arden Hills one. That is a horrible proposal.

vikes_28
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
It looks like a ******* log cabin, who deigned that hideous piece of ****? Not to mention they want to basically keep half of the dome and just make it look different while making the Vikings play at TCF for 2-3 years and it costs about the same as the Arden Hills one. That is a horrible proposal.

where did you see a picture? Please post!

Edit: http://www.minnpost.com/_asset/mhpdb2/mp_main_wide/2011MplsStadiumDesign452.jpg

I actually like the way it looks.

djp
05-10-2011, 03:34 PM

I agree. Also, I'm not sure it's fair to make every taxpayer pay for a football stadium, since not every taxpayer is a football fan.

There's lots of things that we get taxed for that I'm not a fan of.

marshallb
05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Vikings and Ramsey County Announce Stadium Deal (http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/121580574.html)

Crazy_Chris
05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Thank god, now this get this mother ****** through the legislature... Nice to see the Vikes give up some more money in the deal too.

vikes_28
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Woo! It excites me that this is almost done.

The_Dude
05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
except that Chris Coleman is a giant douche....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/12/st-paul-mayor-thinks-local-burden-for-new-stadium-is-unfair/

Previously, St. Paul mayor Chris Coleman had said nothing about the deal that would put the new Vikings stadium in his county — and that would subject his city to a one-half percent sales tax aimed at covering the county’s portion of the total financial package. His silence spoke volumes.

Now, Coleman has said something other than nothing, and he apparently wants nothing to do with a proposal that imposes a significant burden on the county that has the privilege of hosting the building in which the Vikings’ home games will be played. Thou he has yet to take an official position, he called the imposition of a sales tax by Ramsey County an “unfair burden,” according to Rochelle Olson of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

“People in Virginia [Minnesota] watch the Vikings on TV. People in Mankato are eating buffalo wings and drinking beer on Sunday [and watching the games],” Coleman said.

Still, Coleman favors the concept of building a stadium. “I start with the premise the Vikings are an important asset. We’ve got to find a way to keep them here,” Coleman said.

Coleman said he won’t take an official position on the proposal until he has more time to study it. “I need to know those numbers,” Coleman said. “What are they asking the residents and the people shopping in St. Paul to pay? What are the benefits of the Arden Hills site to St. Paul? . . . The fact that it’s not in Minneapolis is not a reason to support something in Ramsey County.”

Coleman prefers a statewide one-cent or two-cent tax on beer and liquor sales to fund the project.

Though Coleman has no direct power over the question of whether the Legislature will or won’t pass a bill imposing the sales tax in Ramsey County, Coleman’s position would give extra ammunition to the opponents of the move, and possibly nudge some fence-sitters toward not supporting the project.

The_Dude
05-13-2011, 10:03 AM
I guess that i should have added that i am in favor of a state-wide tax increase for this stadium. Regardless of my opinion of the mayor of St. Paul, it is silly to ask the residents of Ramsey county (which i am not one of) to carry the largest burden of this project.

I would also like to see the Vikings pony up over half of the $ since Zigy is going to be reaping the benefits of this huge complex. It won't be just the stadium. And where is the NFL in all of this stadium ****. As a multi-billion dollar a year industry, they should be contributing to the construction of facilities that will only make them MORE money downthe line. .....but i am not holding my breath on either of these points.

Just get it done already!

russie
05-13-2011, 04:18 PM
minneapolis trying to kill the arden hills plan:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/5/13/2169082/minnesota-vikings-stadium-arden-hills-ramsey-county-minneapolis#storyjump

russie
05-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Vikings stadium foes may have found a key loophole

Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2011, 8:33 PM EDT

AP
With the Minnesota Legislature only one week away from ending its 2011 session and with the current proposal hinging on a local contribution to the project raised without a public vote that surely would fail, opponents of the stadium believe they’ve found a way to avoid the effort to avoid a vote.

Heron Marquez Estrada of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that a new group of stadium foes, NoVikingsTax.com, believes that the “charter” nature of Minneapolis and Ramsey County permits a referendum on any local efforts to raise money via raise taxes to be placed onto a public ballot, if at least 10 percent of all registered voters sign a petition to that effect.

“We could usurp their usurpation,” said Chris David, head of the group.

It’s the kind of issue that seems destined for litigation, which could serve only to slow the project down even more.

Either way, the folks in Minnesota need to make a decision, and they need to make it soon. If they want to keep the Vikings, they need to find a way to build a stadium with a fair and appropriate public contribution to a venue that will benefit the public in various ways, including hosting a Super Bowl and other projects that will generate tax revenue and business activity. If they don’t want to keep the Vikings, then they need to do the same thing they’ve done for the last decade or longer — nothing.

Crazy_Chris
05-17-2011, 06:13 PM
I guess that i should have added that i am in favor of a state-wide tax increase for this stadium. Regardless of my opinion of the mayor of St. Paul, it is silly to ask the residents of Ramsey county (which i am not one of) to carry the largest burden of this project.

I would also like to see the Vikings pony up over half of the $ since Zigy is going to be reaping the benefits of this huge complex. It won't be just the stadium. And where is the NFL in all of this stadium ****. As a multi-billion dollar a year industry, they should be contributing to the construction of facilities that will only make them MORE money downthe line. .....but i am not holding my breath on either of these points.

Just get it done already!

They had a stadium fund program that ended with the CBA. I am sure that the new CBA will include it aswell...

This recent wave of news isn't sounding good, I am hoping that can get this thing finished.

Edit: Wonder just how much they will give

ST. PAUL, Minn. — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he’ll reveal details in the next few days about the league’s contribution toward a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings.

Goodell met Tuesday in St. Paul with Gov. Mark Dayton and the legislators sponsoring a stadium bill.

The Vikings prefer a $1.1 billion stadium in Arden Hills, but there’s dispute over how much it will cost to build roads to the site and who will pay for them. Dayton and some legislators say the state won’t pay any more than $300 million for a stadium project.

Goodell, when asked if he could envision a scenario in which the team would leave Minnesota, said he thought the commitment was there to get something done and that he thinks that will ensure the success of the Vikings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/goodell-nfl-will-reveal-soon-how-much-it-will-pay-toward-vikings-stadium/2011/05/17/AF6K4p5G_story.html

russie
05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Report: Vikings management met with AEG officials on Tuesday

Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2011, 7:36 PM EDT

Buried near the bottom of the latest mish-mash of rumors and speculation from Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press appears an item that probably should have appeared on the front page, above the fold.

Per Walters: “Spotted at the W Hotel in downtown Minneapolis on Tuesday night were members of Vikings owner Zygi Wilf’s management and stadium development team meeting with LA Live! honcho Tim Leiweke and his AEG team that is considering a stadium for Los Angeles.”

That’s big stuff. Far bigger than something that should be nestled below gems like a kid from Winona State visiting the Golden Gophers’ football program last week and the local WNBA team drawing 2,055 fans for an exhibition game.

With the Vikings poised to become free agents after the 2011 season, it’s no surprise that the folks from AEG would want to talk — or that the Vikings would want to listen. As each day goes by without the Vikings having a deal in place to build a new stadium in Minnesota, the chances that they’ll follow the Lakers to L.A. increase.

customjerseys
08-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Different Guru Harbaugh Becomes Flying with 49ers towards LastBy The very Connected Media channelscheap NFL jerseys from china (http://www.cheapjerseyse.com/)

Crazy_Chris
11-05-2011, 01:29 PM
62ylsN4u3HI

This needs to be shown on tv constantly in minnesota until the stadium situation gets resolved.

The_Dude
02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
**** yeah!

Officials with the White Earth Tribe will announce Thursday morning a plan to build a metro-area tribal casino with the state that would help pay for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium.

According to the tribe's "Minnesota Wins" website, backers say the casino would generate enough revenue to pay the public's share of a new stadium without new taxes. White Earth officials say they've already secured financing for development and construction.

A news conference will be held Thursday morning at the State Capitol to provide more details.

Under the proposal to be released, revenue from the casino would be split equally between the state and the tribe, which would use it for housing,economic development, health care and education. The casino would pay property and sales taxes.

After the stadium is paid off, revenues would continue to go to the state. The state would regulate and audit the casino, which is not the case with tribal casinos generally.

Officials estimate that construction of the casino would create 2,500 jobs and that operations would create as many as 2,000 new and permanent jobs.

At a Senate hearing in December, Erma Vizenor of the White Earth Tribal Council first brought the proposal before policymakers. She said that a tribal casino adjacent to an Arden Hills stadium would raise $300 million yearly.

The White Earth reservation, located in northwestern Minnesota, is the state's largest and most populous with more than 20,000 band members. The tribe runs the Shooting Star casino in Mahnomen.

Pure brillance if they do build a casino & the stadium complex both in/near Arden Hills.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/139378093.html

The_Dude
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
**** yeah pt 2:

Governor Mark Dayton delivered his annual state of the state address on Wednesday night. And one of the obvious topics was the state of a stadium for the NFL team that eventually could head to another state.

According to the Associated Press, Dayton said that the politicians “may be getting close to a site, a deal and a bill.”

Each of those three prongs is critical to building a new stadium. The site has shifted over time and currently seems to be a location near the Metrodome, which would involve minimal movement of games to TCF Bank Stadium at the University of Minnesota while the new venue is constructed.

The deal entails a combination of money from the Vikings and the league, along with public contributions divided between the state and the city/county hosting the stadium. The source of the public money remains a point of contention and debate.

Ultimately, the deal needs to be reduced to a bill that would be passed by an election-year legislature that represents a populace that has been cool, at best, to the idea of using any public funds to build a new football stadium.

Because the Vikings are now essentially stuck in Minnesota for 2012, given that the team didn’t file paperwork with the league office indicating an intent to relocate before the February 15 deadline, the challenge ultimately will be to persuade lawmakers to support a measure that would allow their opponents to use the ballot box in November as an after-the-fact stadium referendum.

That fact alone makes it more likely that this project won’t be finalized until next year, at the earliest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/minnesota-governor-says-stadium-deal-may-be-close/

Crazy_Chris
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
**** yeah!

Pure brillance if they do build a casino & the stadium complex both in/near Arden Hills.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/139378093.html

It's too bad some of the morons in office are seemingly trying to make the Vikes stay in Minneapolis. Because that proposal makes a lot of sense.

The_Dude
02-17-2012, 08:29 PM
**** yeah! pt 3:

HomePoliticsHot Dish Blog

With an insider’s eye, Hot Dish tracks the tastiest bits of Minnesota’s political scene and keep you up-to-date on those elected to serve you.

Contributors in Minnesota: Jennifer Brooks, Baird Helgeson, Mike Kaszuba, Patricia Lopez, Jim Ragsdale, Brad Schrade and Rachel E. Stassen-Berger. Contributor in D.C.: Kevin Diaz.
resize text subscribe via RSSSources: Vikings, state, Minneapolis have preliminary stadium deal
Posted by: Mike Kaszuba under Funding, Minnesota governor, Gov. Mark Dayton, Minnesota legislature, Minnesota state senators, State budgets Updated: February 17, 2012 - 4:15 PM
107 commentsprint

email
Email shareyour name your email recipients email + add a comment add a comment

By ROCHELLE OLSON AND MIKE KASZUBA

Minneapolis, the state and the Minnesota Vikings have reached preliminary agreement on the division of costs for a $975 million stadium on a site at or near the 30-year-old Metrodome, according to multiple sources who spoke Friday on condition of anonymity.

The city would contribute $150 million in construction costs to the downtown Minneapolis project. The state would pay $398 million and the Vikings would pay $427 million. The city also would pay approximately $180 million in operating costs over the next 30 years, the sources said.

The sources close to negotiations spoke on condition they not be identified. They added that details such as cost overruns remain to be worked out, but an announcement is anticipated next week.

Vikings vice president Lester Bagley declined to comment Friday on the numbers, but said “there is no agreement. Everything is subject to negotiations. We’re working hard on an agreement, but we’re not there yet.”

If the preliminary agreement holds, it is only the beginning. The package would need to pass the Legislature and likely the Minneapolis City Council – neither of which is assured. The National Football League would also have to approve the agreement.

The legislative session hits the midway point next week and, with the Republican majority talking of adjourning in late April, stadium supporters have worried that there will simply not be enough time this spring to win approval at the state Capitol.

Renovations to the Target Center are not part of the deal, but the city would be allowed to use hospitality taxes for that project, the sources said. Mayor R.T. Rybak initially proposed including Target Center upgrades and renovations in the deal, but that has not been well received at the Legislature.

On Thursday, a House panel in fact discussed eliminating a series of city hospitality taxes – a move that was seen in some circles as a way to pressure the City Council to support a stadium agreement.

City Council President Barbara Johnson, along with a spokesman for Rybak, said Friday they would not comment on the agreement until details were made public.

Rep. Morrie Lanning, R-Moorhead, the chief House author of stadium legislation, said Friday he had not yet seen the dollar amounts – and said he was “perturbed” that they were being released before key legislators were briefed. “I can’t confirm or comment on the numbers that I haven’t seen,” he said.

But Lanning said that removing Target Center directly from a Vikings stadium agreement would likely help sway votes towards the stadium project. “Target Center being included in this complicates the whole deal,” he said. “If, in fact, they’re not, then that would avoid some complication.”

Lanning however reiterated that he had not been told whether the Target Center renovations and refinancing had been removed from the stadium agreement.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/139543818.html

Getting closer at least. The Minneapolis City Council will be the hardest part of this process.

vikes_28
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Looks like a deal is done. Sad that it is a fixed roof and not a retractable.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Gov-Dayton-Legislative-Leaders-Minneapolis--Vikings-Announce-Stadium-Agreement/36fb1f09-5a0f-4701-9143-dfe6d6c4b8fb

yo123
03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
http://www.kare11.com/news/article/965216/391/Top-lawmakers-still-tentative-on-Vikings-stadium?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cbc%7Clarge

It's definitely not done yet. I'm so sick of the constant "It's almost done" ******** that I'm not celebrating until the ground is broken.

The_Dude
03-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I still think that the Minneapolis City Council is going to be the big hang up. They require a vote of Minneapolis residents for any sports facility funding over $10 million.

I also like how they have referred to this as "The People's Stadium".... yeah, right. Nice sell job.

We are getting really close to finishing this off, but i'm with you, yo. No celebrating until it is a done deal.

J-Mike88
03-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Recap all this schit for me.
Is it a done deal, and if so, when will the thing be built? Where?

It should be a retractable dome by the way.
If the Cardinals and Cowboys can do that in the south, and the Brewers in the north, why the hell can't Minnesota do it?

The_Dude
03-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Read the posts above....

vikes_28
10-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Sounds like the Vikings have chosen an architect for the design of the stadium. They went with the same people who designed Lucas Oil and Cowboys stadium

prock
10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/302143_503309336346642_388218273_n.jpg

Dope.

vikes_28
10-12-2012, 12:13 AM
holy ****!!!

The Dynasty
10-12-2012, 11:14 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/302143_503309336346642_388218273_n.jpg

Dope.

I saw that on reddit yesterday.. that's awesome if thats how its gonna look.. Dallas Stadium but better haha.

marshallb
10-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Damn. If that's how the stadium actually looks, I might blow my load just looking at it. That's just ******* insane. Like 8858943651394651976316758974327598277174 times better than the dome.

vikes_28
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Damn. If that's how the stadium actually looks, I might blow my load just looking at it. That's just ******* insane. Like 8858943651394651976316758974327598277174 times better than the dome.

Anything that's not the dome is better than the dome at this point.

Taber21
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
They have to fight for so long to get a stadium, then they come up with this? Worth the wait!

vikes_28
10-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Also, did anyone see this yet?

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2012/09/28/20120928_stadiumview2_33.jpg

The Dynasty
10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Also, did anyone see this yet?

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2012/09/28/20120928_stadiumview2_33.jpg

Thats a pretty unique design but I love that. Also did anyone else notice they used Chester Taylor as the player in the inside the stadium image?

vikes_28
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Thats a pretty unique design but I love that. Also did anyone else notice they used Chester Taylor as the player in the inside the stadium image?

Hey, chester taylor was one of my favorite vikings.

Mufasa
10-12-2012, 02:54 PM
That is a pretty sick stadium.

I forgot Chester Taylor even existed

vikes_28
01-13-2014, 03:08 PM
http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/239826061.html

uh oh. Looks like it was too good to be true. How does the LA Vikings sound?