PDA

View Full Version : DT Lamarr Houston Texas

Me Likey Rookies
02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
4M0Mn3o8KBY

I know there is a lot of interest in this guy so for those that havent seen him, check out the video. It starts a bit slow but then you can see him dominate vs Neb and Alabama. If the Bucs miss out on Suh/McCoy, this is the guy I want at 2b.

FUNBUNCHER
02-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Who knew the Big 12 was stocked with 3 potential 1st rounders at DT??

Solid.

K Train
02-22-2010, 07:38 PM
im definitely more impressed with houston than i ever was with okam or miller

LonghornsLegend
02-22-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't think he's a 1st round prospect, unless he just tears up the combine, but Texas has been known to produce some good D-line prospects and Houston has been producing for a while now.

You get alot of versatility with him as he's very experienced playing DE and DT, and if you have a creative DC you can do alot with him. He projects as a very good 3-4 End to me honestly but I could see him as a 3 technique also.

He's explosive, very good against the run, I just think in a 3-4 he provides you with some pass rushing ability in your 3-4 End you don't get that often which would be an added bonus. He'll make some team happy though, especially if he breaks a 5.0 40 like I think he can.

V.I.P
02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
If we don't get a DT in the first i'd love to pick Houston up with our 2nd second round pick. We'd have the two Texas boys starting at DT for the next decade.

Jakey
02-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Ziggy Hood 2.0

TitanHope
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Sergio Kindle was beastin' through Houston's entire clip it seems. Maybe I'm not so against him playing 4-3 DE after all... :D

I like Houston a lot too. Like most of ya'll, I don't see him as a 1st RD'er, but he's much more than a consolation prize after possibly missing out on Suh or McCoy. He's got the physical tools (6'3, 300+, 33-inch reach), and the production to match. He's a 2nd RD caliber UT, but this DT class is just so ridiculous that he and other stud DT's could fall to the 3rd or even 4th RD.

RWills
02-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Late 2-Early three

princefielder28
02-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I see him as a first round talent and have mocked him at the end of round one for a while now even though I'm not very confident in that projection.

Me Likey Rookies
02-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but Sergio Kindle was beastin' through Houston's entire clip it seems. Maybe I'm not so against him playing 4-3 DE after all... :D

I like Houston a lot too. Like most of ya'll, I don't see him as a 1st RD'er, but he's much more than a consolation prize after possibly missing out on Suh or McCoy. He's got the physical tools (6'3, 300+, 33-inch reach), and the production to match. He's a 2nd RD caliber UT, but this DT class is just so ridiculous that he and other stud DT's could fall to the 3rd or even 4th RD.

qul0KgveR5k

in case you havent seen this

thule
02-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Bunting recently tore Houston. Saying he did nothing in the A&M game against NFL talent and also showed nothing at the senior bowl. I think there is some serious board overrating going on in here. I tend to agree with Bunting also because he just doesn't have the NFL build...he looks like he is out of position...the only spot he even looks like he could play to me is a 5-tech and he doesn't have the height most teams covet to do that. I just don't see him translating to the NFL.

Abaddon
02-23-2010, 01:51 AM

Quality DTs usually don't fall past the 2nd round. DTs are either top 40-ish picks, or guys who plummet. Seems to be the way of things.

If Houston interviews/works out well, I could definitely see him being a top 40 guy and a real option for the teams in the late 1st round. Indi, NO, Minnesota, SD could all use help on the D-line.

villagewarrior
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Bunting recently tore Houston. Saying he did nothing in the A&M game against NFL talent and also showed nothing at the senior bowl. I think there is some serious board overrating going on in here. I tend to agree with Bunting also because he just doesn't have the NFL build...he looks like he is out of position...the only spot he even looks like he could play to me is a 5-tech and he doesn't have the height most teams covet to do that. I just don't see him translating to the NFL.

He played very well against NFL talent vs Alabama in the Championship game. Just eye balling it in the Championship game, Houston didn't look to be 6'3 300 pounds. He looked a little smaller than that.

SenorGato
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
He's solid...Basically a slight notch below Mike Neal on my just made up scale. Agreed with whoever thinks Indy would like him...

Gchu83
02-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Houston played very well vs. Neb/Bama and they had more NFL talent than A&M. Lamarr is a little undersized but he's stout against the run and has the quickness to be an effective pass rusher from the middle. I think he's better suited as a 3-4 DE.

I'm a Longhorn and I really don't think he's a first rounder, but I think he'll suprise a lot of people. I think he'll go mid-2nd.

thenewfeature06
02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Some may say he outplayed McCoy in the Red River Rivalry, wouldn't be surprised if he was a late first with the importance of UTs.

nepg
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
I actually like how Houston projects as a future NT.

princefielder28
02-23-2010, 06:06 PM
I actually like how Houston projects as a future NT.

He does have potential as a 4-3 NT and I think a team like the Vikings would be really wise to take him at the bottom of round one. It would provide them with some versatility along the line as far as rotating the Williams brothers.

He's certainly not a 3-4 end

LonghornsLegend
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
He's certainly not a 3-4 end

How do you come to that assumption? I'd be interested in hearing it.

regoob2
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
He's more of a 1 gap UT type. Asking him to play 5 tech wouldnt be using him to his fullest potential.

mario
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
I see him as a first round talent and have mocked him at the end of round one for a while now even though I'm not very confident in that projection.
100% agreed ;)

princefielder28
02-24-2010, 06:40 PM

He's more of a 1 gap UT type. Asking him to play 5 tech wouldnt be using him to his fullest potential.

what he said...4-3 is by far his best fit and putting him in a 3-4 would be a mistake

LonghornsLegend
02-24-2010, 07:55 PM

You could say that about alot of 3-4 Ends in the league right now, Glenn Dorsey being the most recent but he's played all over the line at Texas in a 4-3 and 3-4, inside and outside, and he's played very well at each spot. Saying he wouldn't be used to his fullest potential is also alot different then saying "he's certainly not a 3-4 End" or that it would be a mistake.

He'd be a very good 3-4 End and has all the qualities you look for to play that position and projects there very well and I guarantee you alot of 3-4 teams will be targeting him also.

regoob2
02-24-2010, 08:37 PM
You could say that about alot of 3-4 Ends in the league right now, Glenn Dorsey being the most recent but he's played all over the line at Texas in a 4-3 and 3-4, inside and outside, and he's played very well at each spot. Saying he wouldn't be used to his fullest potential is also alot different then saying "he's certainly not a 3-4 End" or that it would be a mistake.

He'd be a very good 3-4 End and has all the qualities you look for to play that position and projects there very well and I guarantee you alot of 3-4 teams will be targeting him also.
Glen Dorsey is really your comparison as to why he should be a 5-tech?

princefielder28
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM

yeah, it's not like Dorsey was drafted to be a 5-tech...i'll just have to agree to disagree with LL as far as Houston's fit at the next level.

To me Houston's greatest strength is his lateral quickness, leading to his playmaking abilities. I'm not placing a player with that skillset in a 3-4.

LonghornsLegend
02-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Of course not. My point was that he's the most recent player that everyone said wouldn't fit as a 3-4 End, didn't project there well at all, and would be wasting his talent as a 3-4 End. Well that's where he ended up playing and he's actually done a pretty good job even though most people believe he's not getting the most out of his potential in that position.

Dorsey has nothing to do with why he should be a 5 tech. He's got the size you look for to play that position, he's got experience as a DT and a DE in a 4-3 and 3-4 defense, he's strong enough to hold the point of attack and command a double team and can penetrate the backfield.

It would be different if he had no business in a 3-4, but he's hardly a bad fit as you guys seem to think. He lined up as a 5 tech for us quite a bit and done well, he's moved all over the line, your incorrect if you think he'd be a bad fit in a 3-4 when in fact his versatility across the line and experience in both defenses is what will entice him to teams that run both schemes.

I never said Dorsey had anything to do with why he should be a 5 tech.

bitonti
02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
lamarr houston is an excellent penetrator and gap shooter, using him as a 5 tech is a waste of his natural skills.

Texas Homer
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I still think early 2nd round.

Texas Homer
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Lamarr Houston measured in at 6'3" 305.

He was listed at 6'2" on the Texas website and measured in an inch taller at the combine.

regoob2
02-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Lamarr Houston measured in at 6'3" 305.

He was listed at 6'2" on the Texas website and measured in an inch taller at the combine.
Dont see that very often.