PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clausen - Why Do Some Think he Isn't Going to Be Great?

shroomysoup
02-23-2010, 12:09 AM
There seems to be mixed reports on him.

K Train
02-23-2010, 12:13 AM
i think he can be great, i thought and still think quinn can too....i feel sorry for him that the browns ruined his career so far.

i think hes clearly the top QB and will have a good career, bradford is nothing as far as a pro prospect compared to clausen. bradfor equals alex smith,who did go #1 but if people learned anything from smith its that hes not a great QB. they are the same size, they have the same skill set, they played in similar systems, they both have shoulder issues.

clausen is more like cutler, not quite the arm strength but definitely not the product of a system he can just sling the ball

San Diego Chicken
02-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm having mixed opinions on this first post. What's your opinion on Clausen?

gpngc
02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Because he rubs people the wrong way.

In reality he's an excellent pro prospect with no glaring flaws and could very well be a franchise QB worthy of a top pick.

He just seems like and apparently is somewhat of a douchebag. Plus some people see the Notre Dame record and think that had anything to do with him when really he had a fantastic season and the defense was atrocious.

K Train
02-23-2010, 12:23 AM
he did mature alot his junior year, he went from the little prick that said he was going to ND and being inducted into the NCAA hall of fame to a guy that goes around and thanks his oline for good blocking on a TD pass....he was a vocal leader and you can tell he grew up alot and really had a fantastic season.

San Diego Chicken
Clausen has all of the arm talent in the world, but leadership is a separate issue. He could end up as a guy who has good fantasy numbers for a middling team.

hawkeye123
He just seems like and apparently is somewhat of a douchebag.

Why is this? Is it because he's blonde? Or that he's from California?

prock
02-23-2010, 12:33 AM

because everyone from cali is an asshole.

Mr.Regular
02-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Aaron Rodgers would like to have a word with you.

SKim172
02-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't think Clausen is going to be bad, I just don't think he's going to be great. He has no glaring flaws, but he has no outstanding strengths. Just my opinion, that's all. Fortunately for you, my opinion actually has little to no relevance to Clausen's draft stock or pro career.

Unless he happens to stumble upon this forum, read this post, and realize his entire life is a lie. Then he'll break down sobbing, useless for the NFL.

I don't think that's likely - he sounds more like the the type of guy to get some friends to track down my address and break my legs. I'll keep you guys informed if that happens.

Shahin
02-23-2010, 01:11 AM

that's just jealousy right there.

prock
02-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Aaron Rodgers would like to have a word with you.

ive never been to cali, but i have like 3 friends from there, and they say EVERYONE is an asshole in cali. maybe its just that they are assholes compared to minnesotans. either way, if you are from cali, my first impression is asshole.

niel89
02-23-2010, 01:17 AM

so very true.

descendency
02-23-2010, 01:18 AM

He gives off that vibe to people. For example:

On April 22, 2006, Clausen verbally committed to the University of Notre Dame.[14] He was the most highly touted recruit for the Fighting Irish since the arrival of Ron Powlus in 1993.[15] Clausen announced his oral commitment at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Indiana, after arriving in a stretch Hummer limousine. He also said his goal was to win multiple national titles with the Irish.[16]

He didn't have a high enough winning percentage despite the fact that he probably had arguably one of the most talented rosters around him.

He lead a lot of game winning drives that were neutralized by poor defensive efforts though. It wasn't Clausen losing games.

MiWolves
02-23-2010, 01:25 AM
He didn't have a high enough winning percentage despite the fact that he probably had arguably one of the most talented rosters around him.

AntoinCD
02-23-2010, 03:18 AM

Very true because the Notre Dame defense was elite wasn't it?!? Please, that whole defense was unbelievably bad, well except for Manti Teo who is some sort of god.

Clausen should in no way be blamed for that record. Just look at the Stanford game when he threw for like 5TDs but the defense gave up like 4000yds to Toby Gerhart

LickaMahfeetz
02-23-2010, 04:12 AM
ive never been to cali, but i have like 3 friends from there, and they say EVERYONE is an asshole in cali. maybe its just that they are assholes compared to minnesotans. either way, if you are from cali, my first impression is asshole.
It's not just you or Minnesotans, it's the rest of the country too. I spent two years in Fosston. I've been just about everywhere except anywhere on the direct east coast and no matter where you go, all you have to do to draw the ire of the guys from the locale is say you're from Cali... then again all the girls love you all the same. Is it due to jealousy? Perhaps. There's just something about a guy from Cali that rubs people the wrong way.

LickaMahfeetz
02-23-2010, 04:18 AM
Very true because the Notre Dame defense was elite wasn't it?!? Please, that whole defense was unbelievably bad, well except for Manti Teo who is some sort of god.

Clausen should in no way be blamed for that record. Just look at the Stanford game when he threw for like 5TDs but the defense gave up like 4000yds to Toby Gerhart
Let's not even begin to mention the leaky sieve known as the Notre Dame offensive line either. No one blitzed these guys and yet for some reason, Clausen was under unbelievable pressure all year long. I go back to the USC game and they don't even bother rushing four guys, they just send three and Clausen is running from Everson Griffen, Jurrell Casey and Nick Perry the entire game like a chicken with his head cut off. Every team they went up against continually sat 7 and 8 guys back in coverage all game long and still generated pressure, especially the better front fours like Pittsburgh, USC, Michigan, Purdue. None of this stand around all day long behind a dominant O-Line like Sam Bradford was used to in 08. Not a knock on Bradford, just saying.

Bobertchin
02-23-2010, 07:37 AM
I've read that he lacks zip on intermediate throws; that he never displayed great accuracy, and his receivers tended to be wide open; that his delivery isn't great.

I'm not saying any of those things are true or should be held against him. I'm just saying I've seen them said.

Scott Wright
02-23-2010, 07:40 AM
1) He isn't 6-5 and 230 pounds with a cannon arm

2) He straddles that fine line between confident and cocky

3) He played for Notre Dame

killxswitch
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
1) He isn't 6-5 and 230 pounds with a cannon arm

2) He straddles that fine line between confident and cocky

3) He played for Notre Dame

Laser rocket arm?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/img/1/7/0/5/i/2/2/6/o/peytonmanning1.jpg

BuddyCHRIST
02-23-2010, 08:00 AM
It was either McShay/Lord Kiper who made an interesting point, that he might not have much of an upside. He's been coached so well all his life (he's had private QB coach for a long time) and was coached so well at ND, that is there room for him to get much better? I think he's a top 10 pick but I'm not entirely sold on him.

Scott Wright
02-23-2010, 08:08 AM
It was either McShay/Lord Kiper who made an interesting point, that he might not have much of an upside. He's been coached so well all his life (he's had private QB coach for a long time) and was coached so well at ND, that is there room for him to get much better? I think he's a top 10 pick but I'm not entirely sold on him.

If the best people can do to knock Clausen is say that he's too polished he's doing all right.

DiG
02-23-2010, 08:11 AM
If the best people can do to knock Clausen is say that he's too polished he's doing all right.

I dont think hes trying to say Clausen is too polished. I think hes saying that considering the level of coaching that Clausen has received, he should be better and may not have a ton of upside from where his game is right now.

murdamal86
02-23-2010, 08:18 AM

I think he meant that they meant he has somewhat maxed out as a player

killxswitch
02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
That line of reasoning seems silly to me. Regardless of his coaching his body and mind can only mature at a certain pace. Seems to be people reaching for a reason not to like him.

HawkeyeFan
02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
I see a lot of greatness in him, I've been wanting the Rams to draft him #1 overall for awhile now. He's exactly what a team like us needs, and he's very familiar with the Offense, which is awesome!

Scott Wright
02-23-2010, 08:21 AM
I dont think hes trying to say Clausen is too polished. I think hes saying that considering the level of coaching that Clausen has received, he should be better and may not have a ton of upside from where his game is right now.

Not sure what part of his game should be better...

As a true junior he completed 68% of his passes with a 7-to-1 TD / INT ratio in an NFL offense.

AkiliSmith
02-23-2010, 08:23 AM
I don't know how he could have possibly done much better than he did at Notre Dame. 28 touchdowns, 4 interceptions and 68% completions is pretty epic coming from a pro style college offense. Imagine what he could have done with a good line, a running back and defense who could stop someone.

no bare feet
02-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Question for you thread maker, why do you think he is going to be great? I'll put the same time in my response as you put in your response to my question.

NGSeiler
02-23-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't think Clausen is going to be bad, I just don't think he's going to be great. He has no glaring flaws, but he has no outstanding strengths. Just my opinion, that's all.

Kind of the same way I see it.

"In no way" is a bit much. I'm not disagreeing about the defense being the main reason this team lost a lot of games, but let's also not pretend Clausen needed to throw for 5 TDs every game in order to win. Is it so unreasonable to think better quarterbacking could have resulted in a win against Navy, Pitt, UConn, or USC? The defense is certainly worth of blame, but I'm not sure I agree with the idea that they're the only ones.

ndbigdave
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Do I think Clausen will be great? In a word, Yes.

I think he is as complete a prospect as I have seen in years - different guys may have been better athletes, maybe a stronger arm, maybe more gaudy stats and perhaps even a better winning percentage but few can compete with the total package that Clausen happens to be.

Arm Strength - Good, not elite. He can make the NFL throws. He may not have Vick's arm, or Stafford's arm, but it certainly no weaker then Matt Ryan's.

Experience - 3 year starter at what might be the most scrutinized school in america. Has won bowl a bowl game, and has shown the ability on numerous occasions to lead his team back in late game situations.

Production - Has shown steady and marked improvement each year, to the point that as a true Jr. he produced a 7 to 1 TD/INT ratio, posted a gaudy 68% completion percentage and showed the ability to not just dink-and-dunk for 5< yard passes but actually stretch a defense vertically.

Release - Polished and smooth. Prototypical and NFL ready. I do notice a bit of a "ball pat" on his deep throws which he will want to eliminate.

Health - Has been fighting an issue with turf-toe however from reports he will be 100% ready for the season. Has shown the ability to take a hit as he took his abuses all 3 years in South Bend.

Mental Make-up - Appears to take the game seriously, is a student of the game working hard and growing up with it (both older brothers played high level college football). Does appear a bit cocky and does rub some people the wrong way, however this evaluator believes confidence/cockiness is needed to be elite - its the outward displays which he may need to curtail.

Physical Makeup - Will measure in about an inch or two shorter then ideal, however he is solidly built and has shown the ability to see passing windows with a suspect O-Line and has shown the ability to take hits with his smaller frame.

Pocket Presence - He appears to show some "happy feet" however after watching tape his feet remind me an awful lot of Peyton Manning's, Clausen keeps his eyes down field and is always looking to make a play. Appears to have fantastic feel for when the line is collapsing and shows the ability to side step the rush, and either step up or back in the pocket.

Mobility - He is by no means an elite athlete with his feet, but when healthy he can escape the rush and even make some plays when need be. He is not a statue in the pocket.

Overall - I have a lot to like with Clausen as with any prospect Clausen will live and die by being given weapons and a decent O-line. That all being said, I would feel confident picking Clausen at the #1 pick.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't know if he has the mental makeup to be an NFL qb.

I rather have Bradford to be honest with you. I'm a Bradford fan and have him #1 on my board currently.

I need to scout both of them more though.

I had Sanchez ahead of Stafford last year.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
There's only 2 questions I have about Clausen.

1. Does he have the maturity level to be an NFL qb? We won't know that, but teams can get a gauge of him through interviews.

2. Will he have happy feet in the NFL? He often times breaks out of the pocket too early instead of stepping up in the pocket. His first 2 years in ND kind of effected his confidence in the pocket. It remains to be seen if he can work on his pocket presence.

Other than that, he has everything you want. Experience, pro style, rocket arm, makes reads, physique, accuracy, everything.

But issue #1 is to me the biggest concern. We won't know about him until after he's drafted bc none of us will sit through those interviews with him.

griff2213
02-23-2010, 10:56 AM
People just don't get it. Jimmy Clausen is one of the most pro-ready quarterbacks to come out EVER. And is definitely the most pro-ready junior quarterback that has ever come out. I just don't understand how Mark Sanchez could in any way have been considered a better prospect than Clausen is. Sanchez was a MUCH bigger risk considering how little starting experience he had. His size is almost exactly the same as Clausen's and their arm strength's are relatively comparable with Clausen probably getting the slight edge. Remember, Sanches was taken 5th overall.

griff2213
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Not sure what part of his game should be better...

As a true junior he completed 68% of his passes with a 7-to-1 TD / INT ratio in an NFL offense.

THIS!!!

If McShay is right and Clausen is somewhat maxed out as a prospect then great! He had a ridiculously productive season in a pro-style offense with a terrible O-Line and defense.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
People just don't get it. Jimmy Clausen is one of the most pro-ready quarterbacks to come out EVER. And is definitely the most pro-ready junior quarterback that has ever come out. I just don't understand how Mark Sanchez could in any way have been considered a better prospect than Clausen is. Sanchez was a MUCH bigger risk considering how little starting experience he had. His size is almost exactly the same as Clausen's and their arm strength's are relatively comparable with Clausen probably getting the slight edge. Remember, Sanches was taken 5th overall.

That is a very good point, although i question the statement that he's the most pro ready junior ever.

As much as people say that this draft doesn't have any top of the line qbs in it, I'm not so sure anymore if I agree with that notion anymore. I think Clausen and Bradford could become solid qbs if developed right.

Babylon
02-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I think he's potentially good in all areas but not great in any. Average size, not a lot of mobility....can make most all of the throws although he seems to put too much air on his deep throws. Best case for me would be Aaron Rodgers worst unfortunately Rex Grossman.

Favre4ever
02-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I think he's potentially good in all areas but not great in any. Average size, not a lot of mobility....can make most all of the throws although he seems to put too much air on his deep throws. Best case for me would be Aaron Rodgers worst unfortunately Rex Grossman.

If hes like Aaron Rodgers, then he should go top 5.

griff2213
02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
That is a very good point, although i question the statement that he's the most pro ready junior ever.

As much as people say that this draft doesn't have any top of the line qbs in it, I'm not so sure anymore if I agree with that notion anymore. I think Clausen and Bradford could become solid qbs if developed right.

Yeah, I understand it's a controversial statement but I really can't think of a more polished and pro-ready junior QB. Stafford was more of a physical specimen with his cannon arm, but I really don't think he was more polished. Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman? Don't think so. Jamarcus Russell? Nope, physical specimen. Vince Young? Nope, was drafted for being a physical specimen and ran a gimmick offense. Alex Smith? Gimmick offense. Aaron Rodgers? Possibly but he also ran kind of a weird offense with Tedford. The farther you go back the less impressive junior QBs are.

And yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. People ALWAYS underestimate and nitpick the current years draft class and overestimate future classes. Remember last year everyone was saying that this year's draft class was unreal and maybe the best ever and now lots of people are saying that this class is only above average. Even though I believe Clausen is certainly a better prospect than Bradford, Bradford is still a very good prospect with a lot of things going for him and definitely belongs in the second tier of QB prospects in general. Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen will undoubtedly be looked back at as very good QB prospects, people just have trouble being objective about analyzing drafts and prospects. Next year everyone will be complaining about and nitpicking that classes QB prospects and comparing them unfavorably to this years.

Babylon
02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
If hes like Aaron Rodgers, then he should go top 5.

And he probably will.

SenorGato
02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
He gives off that vibe to people. For example:

He lead a lot of game winning drives that were neutralized by poor defensive efforts though. It wasn't Clausen losing games.

That limo thing just sounds like Jimmy knows how to do it big.

I think alot of the animosity for him comes from:

1. Playing at ND and not winning a NC.

and

2. Looking like he should be a cast member on a crappy MTV soap opera.

It can't be much else...he's got a great game and the only way you question his leadership is if you base leadership skills on NC wins.