PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Mock (Sorry its not Sexy)

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Justin Fink
NFL Mock Draft 2010
February 23, 2010

1.St. Louis Rams – Ndamukong Suh
He is the best player in this draft. The Rams need a quarterback so watch for a trade with the Buccaneers to trade down and draft either a Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford.

2.Detroit Lions – Gerald McCoy
McCoy is an impact defensive lineman and the Lions just need to continue to add talent to a roster lacking it. Other options would be drafting Russell Okung or Eric Berry. Like the Rams; potential suitor for the Buccaneers.

3.Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Eric Berry
They draft Berry because they missed out on the cream of the crop. They seem poised for a move but like the teams ahead of them they are a talent depleted roster that needs to keep its picks and draft a defensive tackle in the later rounds of a very rich defensive tackle draft.

4.Washington Redskins – Sam Bradford
First pick I am apprehensive about. I am not going to argue whether he or Clausen is better but with Shanahan coming in I would expect a move for a quarterback. Plain and simple.

5.Kansas City Chiefs – Rusell Okung
They need to protect their large investment in Matt Cassell. Branden Albert is going to be either a great left guard or right tackle but an upgrade is needed at left tackle.

6.Seattle Seahawks– Jimmy Clausen
Pete Carroll and new coaches often draft quarterbacks when they get hired. That being said and Bradford off the board leads me to this choice. Clausen has pro experience and can learn from a respected veteran for a year or two before taking the reigns. (Plus Carroll has track record when dealing with diva players and it never hurt him at USC)

7.Clevealnd Browns – Joe Haden
Slam pick of the draft. If the Browns screw this one up Mike Holmgren and Eric Mangini should be fired.

8.Oakland Raiders – Anthony Davis
One of their biggest needs + most athletic in draft = Raiders Pick

9.Miami Dolphins trade from Bills – Dez Bryant
They get a number one wide receiver without mortgaging their future. Bill Parcells has dealt with his fair share of divas and Bryant seems to be on the low end of the spectrum with regards to that.

10.Denver Broncos – Rolando McClain
Though I feel he is overrated, I find someone will fall in love with his blend of size and speed. He is a good fit for the 34 defense though and the only other direction the Broncos could go here I feel is defensive tackle by reaching for Dan Williams (Note: They showed last year they don’t mind doing that if it fits a large enough need; though with very little success)

11.Jacksonville Jaguars – Derrick Morgan
This franchise is still burnt by Derrick Harvey not panning out. Doesn’t he eerily remind you of Jason Pierre Paul? I don’t see them going that direction.

12.Buffalo Bills (Dolphins Pick)– Bryan Bulaga
They made a mistake by trading Jason Peters, they made a mistake when they passed on Michael Oher, do they make a mistake and ignore the offensive tackle position again? I hope not for whoever is playing quarterback next year.

13.San Francisco 49ers – Jason Pierre Paul
Athletic 34 OLB prospect that would create a huge problem as far as matchups go with the defensive weapons they could deploy. I don’t like Pierre Paul. Athletically reminds me of Jevon Kearse but so did Jamal Anderson from Arkansas a few years ago.

14.Seattle Seahawks – C.J. Spiller
Dyanamic playmaker that has the upside of Chris Johnson and downside of Reggie Bush. I think Pete Carroll could find a use for him. Additionally, Carroll loves runningbacks with versatility as can be shown from his days at USC.

15.New York Giants – Dan Williams
They are continually upgrading their defensive line. While they could use a middle linebacker to fill the void left by Antonio Pierce I think its more likely they go back to the well.

16.Tennessee Titans – Carlos Dunlap
Kinda of sick of this pick being used in mock drafts but he fits as far as value, defensive end mold, and they have the stability to take on a chance with potential large dividends.

17.San Francisco 49ers – Trent Williams
I don’t believe in Trent Williams as a pro prospect. He has the measurable but the man is not what his press clippings would lead you to believe. He is a right tackle in the NFL and the 49ers would be a good fit with Joe Staley in place.

18.Pittsburgh Steelers – Earl Thomas
Cant have a repeat of last year with poor secondary play if Polamalu gets hurt. That being said, they are trying to resign Ryan Clark so they may be leaning another direction with this pick. Dan Williams? Offensive Tackle? Mike Iupati?

19.New England Patriot trade up for Atlanta Choice – Brandon Graham
I love Brandon Graham and some smart general manager will draft him and play him either at defensive end or outside linebacker. He may be undersized for DE but he displays a strong ability to play the run.

20.Houston Texans – Taylor Mays
a.The freefall ends although I think he is taking too much of a beating from different members of the draftnik community. The man can still play and the lack of big plays I don’t believe is vindictive of his ability. Safety production fluctuates every year. Mays will be a solid player.

21.Cincinnati Bengals – Golden Tate
They offense needs aerial playmakers and Golden Tate will be everything they hoped to get by overpaying Laverneus Coles.

22.Atlanta Falcons (from Patriots) – Kareem Jackson
They need cornerback help and it’s a race between Jackson, Kyle Wilson, Patrick Robinson and Perrish Cox. Atlanta trades down because it can pick up a second round pick from New England to replace the one they lost from the Tony Gonzalez trade.

23.Green Bay Packers – Bruce Campbell
Offensive Line help is needed here because it appears to be the key to the offense. Aaron Rodgers has playmakers and the defense still needs help but as long as he can sling it they keep it at the very least close.

24.Philadelphia Eagles – Navarro Bowman
The best run stuffing linebacker in this class in my mind won’t be the high impact player but a solid contributor that will help fill a lot of holes. They could also look safety because with the loss of Dawkins there is a lot to be desired.

25.Baltimore Ravens – Arrelious Benn
I don’t think he is a sure fire first rounder but a solid combine plus the immense need of the Ravens will make this pick happen. Alternatives is trading this pick to either Arizona or Broncos for one of their top pass catchers.

26.Arizona Cardinals – Terrence Cody
They need to stop the leakage in the middle of their run defense. This is a huge risk because of Cody’s endurance problems but they simply can’t be shredded anymore and need to make a move. Alternatives is drafting an offensive tackle, tight end, cornerback or surprise us all with a quarterback.

27.Dallas Cowboys – Mike Iupati
With how important their running game is, run blocking linemen are at a premium. I would suggest a safety if one was worthy of this selection. Iupati is rumored to be liked by the Boys and he falls to them in this mock.

28.San Diego Chargers – Jonathan Dwyer
I am concerned with his work ethic, ability to stay in shape, and schematic issues but they are desperate for a runningback and he’s the a good fit for their style. (Best is too similar to Sproles to be a possibility in my mind)

29.New York Jets – Jared Odrick
Consumate professional who will be a hardworker and fit in as their future 34 defensive end. It will take time to transition but Odrick gets high marks for his work ethic.

30.Minnesota Vikings – Sean Witherspoon
Ben Leber can be upgraded upon and depth are a major concern. That being said, I believe they could also go corner at this spot and there are no shortage of candidates for that position at this value point.

31.Indianapolis Colts – Everson Griffen
I think they need to provide some back up for the bi-annual Dwight Freeney Injury and he has the physical dimensions.

32.New Orleans Saints – Aaron Hernandez
They rotate TEs like crazy and Shockey still has some years left but they always add more and more weapons plus the Shockey injury effected them, even if it didn’t cost them.

Notables Missing:
Jermaine Gresham - injury concerns need to be alleviated + not a lot of need for tight ends as most of the teams at the end of the first round already have a solid tight end or they have more pressing needs.

Let me know if you think there are aggregious errors, people I forgot, and of course comments on choices. Please keep it civil.

RealityCheck
02-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't trade up for Graham. Neither Houston or Cincy would take him.
If we trade up, it would be for Mays.

K Train
02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Earl Thomas <3

scar988
02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Atlanta likes Seniors, who are hard working and productive. meaning Cox or Wilson would be the pick if we go CB. not Jackson.

wicket
02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
32.New Orleans Saints – Aaron Hernandez
They rotate TEs like crazy and Shockey still has some years left but they always add more and more weapons plus the Shockey injury effected them, even if it didn’t cost them.

Please keep it civil.

Tough to do the bolded part.

lets just summarize:
position makes no sense
player fit makes no sense
player value makes no sense

basicly there is not much about this pick that makes sense to me

Stranger
02-23-2010, 04:33 PM
26.Arizona Cardinals – Terrence Cody
They need to stop the leakage in the middle of their run defense. This is a huge risk because of Cody’s endurance problems but they simply can’t be shredded anymore and need to make a move. Alternatives is drafting an offensive tackle, tight end, cornerback or surprise us all with a quarterback.

If Kindle is on the board I don't think there is any way we would pass him up. Still I wouldn't be against taking Cody although years of Branch and his weight problems might make the front office wary.

thenewfeature06
02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Anthony Davis is a legit pick.

prock
02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
i can dig weatherspoon.

thebow305
02-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Wow, not only does Parcells never draft WR's in the 1st round, he certainly doesn't trade UP for them. I'd be ok with it if it happened, but it's not very likely IMO based on his past draft history. Standing pat and selecting JPP or Sergio Kindle at #12 is much more likely.

GoodellFTL
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Like the Bucs pick. If McCoy and Suh are gone, we should either draft Berry or trade down.

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't trade up for Graham. Neither Houston or Cincy would take him.

That's a good point but I think Atlanta could concievably take him but th thought process was that Atlanta Wanted to trade down so I will have to review it

vidae
02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
OT is not a first round need for KC.

zachsaints52
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Tough to do the bolded part.

lets just summarize:
position makes no sense
player fit makes no sense
player value makes no sense

basicly there is not much about this pick that makes sense to me

This is possibly the worst pick I have seen so far in the mock drafts for the Saints....

Nevermind, it is the worst.

Abaddon
02-23-2010, 08:20 PM

I doubt the Pats would make such a dumb move.

Pat Sims 90
02-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Tate is not what we need at WR

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM
I doubt the Pats would make such a dumb move.

i acknowledge the issue

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Tate is not what we need at WR

You need playmakers. Period. You have no wide recievers who scare anybody outside of OchoCinco.

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
This is possibly the worst pick I have seen so far in the mock drafts for the Saints....

Nevermind, it is the worst.

First a 32nd pick of the draft. 2nd, I am just addressing where I think there is a value pick and good teams at the end of the draft often select value and not need. I agree defensive tackle would be better or maybe an offensive lineman but I think there is depth for interior linemen and defensive linemen later in this draft. Aaron Hernandez is a playmaker that could be an eventually successor and injury replacement for shockey.

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
OT is not a first round need for KC.

What would you consider a "first round" need? Considering a need is a need, regardless of round. They need offensive line help. I am wondering who you would have them take at this position.

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow, not only does Parcells never draft WR's in the 1st round, he certainly doesn't trade UP for them. I'd be ok with it if it happened, but it's not very likely IMO based on his past draft history. Standing pat and selecting JPP or Sergio Kindle at #12 is much more likely.

Its well documented that Denver would be interested in a wide receiver with the "probable" departure of Brandon Marshall. So trading ahead two spots, not costing them too much and feeling a position of great need. Maybe they go to free agency or trade but I like this move better.

JFINK11
02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Atlanta likes Seniors, who are hard working and productive. meaning Cox or Wilson would be the pick if we go CB. not Jackson.

Will take under advisement in future mocks. I acknowledge corner as the position I would expect them to take at this position though. Predicting which one with any real accuracy would be difficult considering how close all of these corners rate.

Pat Sims 90
02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
You need playmakers. Period. You have no wide recievers who scare anybody outside of OchoCinco.

Yea if by Playmaker you mean Big Fast WR then yes that is what we need

Arrelious Benn or Demaryius Thomas make more sense

proshoota25
02-23-2010, 10:25 PM
eh i dont think the pats would trade up for graham. to be honest, i really dont see the patriots drafting graham at all, whether they trade up, stay put, or trade back.

marshallb
02-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Good Vikings pick, but no to CB like in your explanation.

Poz51
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Justin Fink
NFL Mock Draft 2010
February 23, 2010

9.Miami Dolphins trade from Bills – Dez Bryant
They get a number one wide receiver without mortgaging their future. Bill Parcells has dealt with his fair share of divas and Bryant seems to be on the low end of the spectrum with regards to that.

12.Buffalo Bills (Dolphins Pick)– Bryan Bulaga
They made a mistake by trading Jason Peters, they made a mistake when they passed on Michael Oher, do they make a mistake and ignore the offensive tackle position again? I hope not for whoever is playing quarterback next year.

I hope this involved Miami's second round pick, that is the only way I could see giving a division rival a top ten pick, and maybe the best reciever to come into the draft in the last two years IMO. I do like moving down in this scenerio however, and would not mind Bulaga. Spot on about Peters and Oher...

redbills
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Jason Peters sucked his last year in B-Lo and didn't want to be here, so we moved him, mistake? I think not. And we should have picked O-Sack-Po as we needed a DE/OLB and he was the highest rated player. Other than that agree with Poz51.

Poz51
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Jason Peters sucked his last year in B-Lo and didn't want to be here, so we moved him, mistake? I think not. And we should have picked O-Sack-Po as we needed a DE/OLB and he was the highest rated player. Other than that agree with Poz51.

I forgot about Peters tanking it his last year on "purpose"... O-Sack-Po or Oher, even Cushing made more sense last unless you were Todd "Maybin-Man-Crush" McShay... Never the less, I stand corrected about Peters, who was as useless his last year as a wet paper bag...

JFINK11
02-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Good Vikings pick, but no to CB like in your explanation.

I was just wondering why. Your not the first person to say that and outside of winfield, I am under the impression your pass defense is sorely lacking. Just fill me in if you could.

JFINK11
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM

You did get good value for him. Very True but I think given the choice now a LT is more important than a defensive end/olb. O-Sack-Po was good and so was Cushing but Michael Oher is a special commodity; ability like his and other franchise left tackles only comes around so often. They're valuable. But I do agree any of those moves wouldve been better than an undersized pass rusher who will probably never become more than a situational pass rusher.