PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting an AL-only dynasty league.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/al_gore.jpg

Er....not that AL...

http://ednetpower.com/xe/files/attach/images/2679/633/003/AmericanLeagueLogo.jpg

Hi kids. I've played in a lot of leagues and people can attest that I'm a damn active participant. Lately, however, I've been thinking about starting my own league that's different from the rest (and therefore, not in competition with anyone else).

Here's what I have in mind.

-Almost entirely dynasty-oriented. I like scouting the minor leagues and like rewarding people for thinking longterm.

-AL only. Limiting it to one league allows for more consistency in competition, and also forces the participants to know the depths of the rosters. (I'd be fine with NL only if there is a preference)

-A rotational committee that would determine compensatory draft picks (or auction money) for anyone whose player may switch leagues at any point. Probably a 3 person panel, with substitutions so that no person would be able to determine their own compensation.

-Smaller rosters with a specifically designated # of bench spots for minor league players. If one of your ML players gets called up, you have to make a spot for him on your major league roster or cut him.

-And that's about it. I haven't PM'ed anyone because....I dunno I just haven't. Preferences will be given to originals because I know who is active among them. I'm only looking for eight teams. The goal is to be tight, efficient, and detail oriented. If there is a lack of interest I simple won't do it.

-Even if you think I'm a prick on here (and why wouldn't you), my attention to detail is pretty spot-on, and I like to be fair to everyone.

zachsaints52
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Id be game, I like to consider myself a regular now.

tjsunstein
02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Never done a one league only... league. I'd be interested.

What if a valuable NL player (Heath Bell could very well be traded at the deadline) switches leagues, how would it be decided who has rights to him?

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah that's the big question.

Normally, league specific leagues (that sounds awkward) are also auction leagues where you don't have to spend all of your money. That way, when a player pops up, anyone with extra dough can bid on him.

The only other options that I can think of would be:

A) Treated just like a waiver wire (in which case, someone awarded a draft pick could defer that for a higher spot on the waiver wire)

B) Nobody could pick up that player until the end of the season.

I'm open to lots of suggestions when it comes to that, although I'd lean towards auction.

Actually, it might work best to make the league an auction league where you can store money, and have the panel simply decide how much a player is worth when/if you would lose him to another league.

zachsaints52
02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Actually, it might work best to make the league an auction league where you can store money, and have the panel simply decide how much a player is worth when/if you would lose him to another league.

Auction would be a good way to do it.

Grizzlegom
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Never did one of these but I'd definitely be open to the idea. I know the National League much better but I could increase my AL knowledge quickly if need be :-)

D-Unit
02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
What the heck. Count me in. AL DEFINITELY. NL eeewe.

scottyboy
02-24-2010, 01:51 PM
my name iz Scotty, I am a Rutgers homer, and I am interested.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I did send out a few offers zachsaints and grizzlegom, so I will give them first preference, only because I know and trust those users. I'd like to incorporate some new users into the club of originals though, and I don't think there will be heavy interest with so many leagues already. I don't want to expand, however, with limited rosters and a proposed auction draft.

1) BF51
2) tjsunstein
3) scottyboy
4) D-Unit
5) Hchu
6) Brodeur
7) yo123
8) Charm

9 or 10???

-zachsaints
-grizzlegom

I'm thinking a starting lineup of 9 batters (1 UTIL), 8 pitchers, a bench of 4 major league of 3 minor league players. I much prefer points league/head to head as opposed to roto. Thoughts?

HChu
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm definitely game.

ccB
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I currently have no fantasy baseball teams and would be totally up for this.

Grizzlegom
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I did send out a few offers zachsaints and grizzlegom, so I will give them first preference, only because I know and trust those users. I'd like to incorporate some new users into the club of originals though, and I don't think there will be heavy interest with so many leagues already. I don't want to expand, however, with limited rosters and a proposed auction draft.

No problem, I'll be sure to keep an eye on the thread in case I get in!

yo123
02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
If there is still room I'd be interested.

Brodeur
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
I could do things that involve me being involved.

tjsunstein
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
1) BF51
2) tjsunstein?
3) scottyboy
4) D-Unit
5) Hchu
6)
7)
8)

-zachsaints
-grizzlegom

I'm thinking a starting lineup of 9 batters (1 UTIL), 8 pitchers, a bench of 4 major league of 3 minor league players. I much prefer points league/head to head as opposed to roto. Thoughts?

Why is there a question mark next to my name? I'm game if that's what is in question. Otherwise, you spelled my name right.

Also, I'm a big roto fan but I'll do anything.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
It's an existentialist world, I'm questioning your very being.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Charm will you be around? You kinda flaked out in a league we were both in before.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I'll consider expanding this to 10 if the interest is there. No more though, AL rosters aren't big enough.

ccB
02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Charm will you be around? You kinda flaked out in a league we were both in before.

In the past I made the mistake of taking on too many leagues, thus leading me to get overloaded and neglect them. Last year I did just 2 leagues and was active all year long. If I do get it, this will probably be the only league I do since it's a fairly complex league.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Here's what I'm thinking so far:

--ESPN
--Auction (260 dollars per person)

--Free agents will be allocated by a FAAB (free agent acquisition budget) system. Each team will have 100 dollars to spend for the year on free agents. To pick up a free agent, you must propose which you would like to add, at which point it will be announced that the player is up for auction, in which everyone else will have a chance to outbid you. 0$ bids will be allowed, however, so if you wish to add a player and nobody else is willing to pay for him, he is yours. There will be a three day auction period for each player. (There's more information on how FAAB works on the web if you're unfamiliar).

--If a player on your team goes to the National League, you will be refunded however much you originally spent on that player (seems less complicated and dramatic than a panel).

My only real question is how people would like to score. Roto, Total Points, or H2H?

I'm looking at a lineup consisting of:
C
1B
2B
SS
3B
OF
OF
OF
OF
1B/3B
2B/SS
9 P's

3 major league bench spots
3 minor league bench spots

That's a total of 26 players, 208 players total.

Share your thoughts.

D-Unit
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's what I'm thinking so far:

--ESPN
--Auction (260 dollars per person)

--Free agents will be allocated by a FAAB (free agent acquisition budget) system. Each team will have 100 dollars to spend for the year on free agents. To pick up a free agent, you must propose which you would like to add, at which point it will be announced that the player is up for auction, in which everyone else will have a chance to outbid you. 0$ bids will be allowed, however, so if you wish to add a player and nobody else is willing to pay for him, he is yours. There will be a three day auction period for each player. (There's more information on how FAAB works on the web if you're unfamiliar).

--If a player on your team goes to the National League, you will be refunded however much you originally spent on that player (seems less complicated and dramatic than a panel).

My only real question is how people would like to score. Roto, Total Points, or H2H?

I'm looking at a lineup consisting of:
C
1B
2B
SS
3B
OF
OF
OF
OF
1B/3B
2B/SS
9 P's

3 major league bench spots
3 minor league bench spots

That's a total of 26 players, 208 players total.

Share your thoughts.
Seems like a large starting roster for an AL only league.

I like the H2H/total pt combination personally.

yo123
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Personally I'm a fan of H2H.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
It is large starting roster. The main reason being that I want to limit the # of benchs spots there are. I'd like to keep the DL to 2 as well.
I'm thinking of this as a pretty hardcore league without a lot of margin of error.

Noted though, I'd like other thoughts.

ccB
02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
I have no real preference between H2H or Roto so whatever the majority chooses is fine with me.

D-Unit
02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
It is large starting roster. The main reason being that I want to limit the # of benchs spots there are. I'd like to keep the DL to 2 as well.
I'm thinking of this as a pretty hardcore league without a lot of margin of error.

Noted though, I'd like other thoughts.

You can reduce the number of bench spots then. I dunno... I guess it depends if this is an 8 or 10 team league as well. Too big for a 10 team AL only league. I'm a Rangers fan and I wouldn't want to draft a guy like David Murphy for fantasy baseball. I dunno.. haven't been in an AL or NL only league before so maybe there is enough talent to keep it fun... Just seems like a big roster.

How exactly are you designating minor league bench spots? Is that just a rule you're implementing or is it a feature in ESPN? What if you get a player who gets called up and then pick up a new minor leaguer, but then a little while later, the guy that got called up gets sent down again. Then can you have 4 minor league bench spots? What's the deal there?

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
The rosters are with an 8 team league in mind. Ideally I'd like to keep it small, and everyone that has signed up is someone that follows baseball closely and plays fantasy sports.

-Actually I think the best part about small leagues is winning because of guys like David Murphy. I'm a micro-manager though.

-As far as I know, no such feature exists on ESPN, but I don't think it would be hard to enforce. I'd say that if someone on your major league roster gets sent down you either put him on your minor league roster (meaning you cut someone on your minor league roster) or you cut him. I don't see why it wouldn't go both ways.

-Again, I'm looking for feedback here, so I welcome concerns/comments.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
My only real concern is that ESPN won't have enough minor league players to keep that going, although they seem to have a lot of depth. (EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, it wouldn't really matter if they were on ESPN or not. We could operate the minor league rosters off-site, which would make everyone eligible, we would just have to select them outside of the ESPN auction).

Plus, a FAAB system would cancel out the biggest problem with ESPN, which is that they add players totally randomly and without notice. Nobody could pick up a top prospect without everyone being made aware of it, which I think is fair.

D-Unit
02-24-2010, 04:54 PM
The rosters are with an 8 team league in mind. Ideally I'd like to keep it small, and everyone that has signed up is someone that follows baseball closely and plays fantasy sports.

-Actually I think the best part about small leagues is winning because of guys like David Murphy. I'm a micro-manager though.

-As far as I know, no such feature exists on ESPN, but I don't think it would be hard to enforce. I'd say that if someone on your major league roster gets sent down you either put him on your minor league roster (meaning you cut someone on your minor league roster) or you cut him. I don't see why it wouldn't go both ways.

-Again, I'm looking for feedback here, so I welcome concerns/comments.
What about major leaguers that start off on the opening day roster and then find their way in the minors? Like Chris Davis last year...

Or what about the opposite... a guy like Manny Ramirez who started off in the minors. Would he have taken a minor league spot to start the year? Seems odd.

I think that the best thing would be to declare the player eligible for one of your regular bench spots once he has played on the big league level. I mean if he's in the minors, he hurts your ability to gain points, so you still suffer that way.

Having to cut one of your minors that you got to fill one of your newly opened minor spots is rough.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
What about major leaguers that start off on the opening day roster and then find their way in the minors? Like Chris Davis last year...

Or what about the opposite... a guy like Manny Ramirez who started off in the minors. Would he have taken a minor league spot to start the year? Seems odd.

I think that the best thing would be to declare the player eligible for one of your regular bench spots once he has played on the big league level. I mean if he's in the minors, he hurts your ability to gain points, so you still suffer that way.

Having to cut one of your minors that you got to fill one of your newly opened minor spots is rough.
Manny Ramirez is a particularly unique situation. Most big major league players that are in the minor leagues would still be DL eligible.

I agree that it is rough, that's the point. The harder it is to stockpile talent the less likely we'll have to redraft every year because the teams are so unequal. If you feel like it unfairly punishes people I understand though, and welcome everyone's thoughts.

tjsunstein
02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
-I'd prefer Roto to H2H.

-Never done an auction league in baseball nor a one league only league.

-It'd be easier to keep track of minor leaguers on the league message board or on here.

-I'm pumped.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
So I've got:

Roto: 1
H2H: 2
H2H roto: 1

I sent out a PM to the rest of the league so hopefully there will be more feedback.

djp
02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Did you fill the league? I am interested

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I can make it 10 if you'd like to join. I'll set up a league page.

djp
02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I can make it 10 if you'd like to join. I'll set up a league page.

Sounds good. Never been in an AL or NL only league before. Should be fun. Super deep dynasty leagues are really fun if you've got committed owners.

yo123
02-24-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm all for the minor league bench spots. I like the deep roster too, requires more skill.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
League page:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38901