PDA

View Full Version : French Anti-Smoking Ad- is it offensive?

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
If the mods deem this so be unacceptable delete away. It's not really political, and the sexual is more suggestive, so I didn't know.

I follow European news a lot since I usually live there a few months a year, and this has supposedly caused a bit of a stir. I'm surprised actually, because I've seen far more offensive things on Spanish bilboards before.

For those that don't read French, the caption basically says, "Smoking makes you a slave to tobacco"
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/143907/FRANCE-SMOKING.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/143911/FRANCE-SMOKING.jpg

CashmoneyDrew
02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
It's obviously suggestive, but I figured that was pretty par for the course in Europe outside of maybe Great Britain. What do the subtitles say?

JF4
02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I'd rather see bondage than a **** sucking.

That's some real enslavement.

But those ad are offensive more so the one with the girl.

FlyingElvis
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
roughly . . . smoking is being tobacco's slave. (To smoke is to be a slave to tobacco)

I don't know about "offensive" per se. And it presumes that people don't like giving head. lol

It seems like a rather silly analogy to me.

CashmoneyDrew
02-24-2010, 03:47 PM
roughly . . . smoking is being tobacco's slave.

That's what I figured.

JF4
02-24-2010, 03:47 PM
It's obviously suggestive, but I figured that was pretty par for the course in Europe outside of maybe Great Britain. What do the subtitles say?

Smoking, its the slavery of tobacco

Splat
02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty much Anti-Smoking and even I feel that is alittle much.

CJSchneider
02-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Today is 2 years and 2 days without a smoke, but if anyone wants to give me head, I'll play the tobacco role.

TitleTown088
02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Meh, I could care less.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Meh, I could care less.
And yet here you are......

http://www.funtal.com/images/thumbnailitems/Funny-Animals/funny_animals_54.jpg

vikes_28
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
It's the french, they run around beaches with no clothes on. I don't think this is any worse. Oh, and "No" in french is spelled "non"

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I know, but I didn't know if people would get confused if I put them both in French. :)

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
The only thing offensive about nude beaches is the lack of hot women.

TitleTown088
02-24-2010, 04:56 PM
And yet here you are......

http://www.funtal.com/images/thumbnailitems/Funny-Animals/funny_animals_54.jpg

"I could care less" as in I could care less if the ad is up because its not offensive.

People blowing cigs in my face on the other hand...

Bosanac01
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
I believe in the french language the same term used for smoking is used for sucking. So therefore you say smoke my dick thus producing this ad. Which is indeed offensive, because i have older relatives who smoke cigarettes. I don't like that it relates to giving head.

WMD
02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
I love the originality of it. It delivers the message in the picture, I'm all for it.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
But the thing is the French are also offended! (or at least some of them if you believe the news) That's what is surprising to me.

I saw an ad at a Spanish bus stop that was anti-fur (I think) that had a woman covered in decapitated bunnies.

But yeah, there's no chance in hell this would fly in the U.S.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
To provide a little more context, this ad was specifically designed to stop teenage smoking. Another big criticism is that it doesn't make any sense, and therefore even if it isn't offensive, it's just dumb.

I'm not sure. It's obviously a little distracting, but I think the thought of sucking an old man's weiner would be a negative with young people, and perhaps subconciously make them not want to start smoking.

OSUGiants17
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
For Europe, not at all, for US, very much so.

Brent
02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I like this ad. It would be a great one to talk about in a rhetoric course.

Could it be seen as offensive? Yes. Do I find it to be? No. Having said that, I think the fact that it warrants discussion means that it's certainly effective. Regardless if I am offended or not, I'm still discussing an anti-smoking ad, and likely the topic of conversation shall move towards the merits of non-smoking.

Wootylicous
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah I can confirm what bos said. Smoking term is related to giving head in french so that's probably why.

niel89
02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I think the ad is offensive but I like it like that. Its causing a stir and I think that this is good that this issue is getting free publicity. I think that teen smoking is an issue that the vast majority are against so I like it.

However I find it offensive that to vote yes I have to choose a french option.

I like this ad. It would be a great one to talk about in a rhetoric course.

Could it be seen as offensive? Yes. Do I find it to be? No. Having said that, I think the fact that it warrants discussion means that it's certainly effective. Regardless if I am offended or not, I'm still discussing an anti-smoking ad, and likely the topic of conversation shall move towards the merits of non-smoking.

Exactly. We are at least talking about it.

wogitalia
02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't get how it's offensive. I also don't get how it even remotely makes people not want to smoke.

How do you relate oral sex and smoking and try and turn it into a negative... all it suggests to me is that if I put a cigarette near my ***** a decent looking french bird is going to get down there.

Stupid... but not offensive to me in any way.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't get how it's offensive. I also don't get how it even remotely makes people not want to smoke.

How do you relate oral sex and smoking and try and turn it into a negative... all it suggests to me is that if I put a cigarette near my ***** a decent looking french bird is going to get down there.

Stupid... but not offensive to me in any way.
Haha...interesting take.

I think the subliminal message is that they are both doing it against their will.

djp
02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
No, but the demographic you are asking this question is a bunch of 16-24 year old males.. probably less sensitive towards the issue than say a 45 year old woman.

tjsunstein
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
It's a good way to get your message across. Genius if you ask me.

Whistler6
02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
No more offensive than Michael Scott (The Office) saying he can't stand to go near cigarettes because Joe Camel reminds him of a ***** and vice Versa.

wogitalia
02-25-2010, 12:28 AM
No, but the demographic you are asking this question is a bunch of 16-24 year old males.. probably less sensitive towards the issue than say a 45 year old woman.

I have found in general that 45 year olds are far less sensitive and PC than 16-24 year olds. It is my generation that seem to have the biggest problem with people talking straight and just saying what is true. Maybe that's an Australian thing though...

And it still just looks like equating cigarettes to oral sex to me. It will work on those girls that wont give head but on most girls it isn't going to say anything.

vikes_28
02-25-2010, 12:33 AM
The idea of these types of ads are to get people to talk about it. Do I like cigarettes? On rare occasions, but i'm not a "slave" to them. Cigars are the way to go people.

pete_norm
02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't think it's offensive. I just think it's stupid and won't do anything to reduce smoking...

The picture taken doesn't link smoking to slavery at all in my mind. In a good publicity, you don't have to look at the text to understand the message, the picture is enough. In this one, without the text, i have no idea what they mean.

wogitalia
02-25-2010, 06:37 PM
The picture taken doesn't link smoking to slavery at all in my mind. In a good publicity, you don't have to look at the text to understand the message, the picture is enough. In this one, without the text, i have no idea what they mean.

So true...

Now a cigarette with a whip and a bunch of people chained together, that would imply slavery much better.

CC.SD
02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
The one with the girl is hot. It makes me wish more girls smoked.

FlyingElvis
02-26-2010, 09:25 AM
The one with the girl is hot. It makes me wish more girls smoked my pole.

fixed. :)

bearsfan_51
02-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Of course she's hot, she's French.