PDA

View Full Version : AUDIO CLIP: Mike Mayock Conference Call

Biscuit
02-24-2010, 04:28 PM
NFL Network’s Mayock Talks Combine ...
AUDIO CLIP: http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Mike-Mayock-Conference-Call/f11fdacf-deb5-4372-b37c-fc2d12413b28

NFL Network’s Draft expert Mike Mayock fielded questions for nearly 90 minutes on Tuesday, answering queries on a wide variety of topics ranging from specific college players to the various needs of different NFL franchises.

Among some of the highlights of Mayock’s call, the analyst said Bay Area running backs Jahvid Best (California) and Toby Gerhart (Stanford) have second and third round draft grades respectively according to his film study. However, Mayock pointed out that Best has first-round ability, only durability questions have him rating the Golden Bear as a second-round talent.

Mayock explained why he has Oklahoma junior defensive lineman Gerald McCoy ranked ahead over Nebraska senior defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh as the No. 1 prospect in the 2010 Draft. Because the NFL has become more of passing league, Mayock believes McCoy’s pass rush ability from the inside is more valuable than Suh’s. Mayock stressed that both interior linemen will someday be All-Pros at the defensive tackle position, but McCoy’s athleticism gives him the edge over Suh. Mayock noted that Suh is able to push the pocket and is stouter against the run, but due to the trend of NFL team’s using passing to win games, McCoy can have great impact in Mayock’s estimation.

Another interesting point Mayock made involved his ratings of who the best safety available is in the 2010 Draft. Most experts have Tennessee junior Eric Berry as the top guy. Not Mayock. He has Texas sophomore Earl Thomas ranked ahead of Berry. Mayock’s reasoning is simple, Thomas makes more plays. Along the same lines of his NFL adopting a pass-happy approach to winning games, Thomas’ instinctive play makes him more attractive. Not to mention his eight interceptions this past year, which Mayock pointed out as to why Thomas is ranked ahead of Berry, who is fresh off winning the Jim Thorpe Award as college football’s best defensive back.
http://blog.49ers.com/2010/02/23/nfl-network%E2%80%99s-mayock-talks-combine/

Morton
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
There are shades of Asante Samuel in Earl Thomas, for good or bad. He'll excel at jumping routes at the next level and rack up interceptions just like Samuel, BUT he also has an aversion to solid form tackling... just like Samuel. His upper ceiling, in general, is probably higher than Berry's in that regard - playmaking skills.

If you want a pure cover guy who'll generate turnovers, go with Thomas. If you want a better all-around safety who is excellent in run support and is not a liability as a tackler, and is still very good in coverage but sacrifices some of the "upper ceiling" on playmaking ability, go with Berry.

I predict Berry will go no lower than #8 in the draft, and Thomas will go no lower than #15.

P-L
02-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Berry is still a great playmaker. His numbers were down this season, but he still had more interceptions, more sacks, and more touchdowns in his first two seasons than Thomas did. Now I know his numbers dipped this year, but does anyone really believe that Berry's playmaking has regressed?

Biscuit
02-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Berry is still a great playmaker. His numbers were down this season, but he still had more interceptions, more sacks, and more touchdowns in his first two seasons than Thomas did. Now I know his numbers dipped this year, but does anyone really believe that Berry's playmaking has regressed?

I think the perception is based on how Berry played in Monte Kiffin's scheme that the Vols employed. Mayock feels Berry is better playing free safety because he is not enthusiastic about his play in the box. He still is a heck of a player, and a playmaker when playing the deep middle. Right now, Mayock likes Thomas' range more, as a free safety, on film better than Berry's.

prock
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Thomas put up better numbers because Berry was avoided more. Champ wasn't a worse corner than someone like Asante Samuel because he made less plays. He was just given less opporunity to do so.

TitanHope
02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I respect Mayock, but I think I'll stick to watching Kiper and McShay on ESPN this year.

FUNBUNCHER
02-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Does Mayock only watch a prospect's film from the previous year, or does he examine their play throughout their entire college career??

If the answer is the former, then it's possible Mayock is unaware(!!) why Berry has the rep he does as a football player.

My gut tells me that Berry may have been battling some nagging injuries last year, just a guess, ( I know he missed the bowl game last year against Va Tech), and his changed role in the Vols D may have affected his INT total.

Still Berry doesn't need any excuses, but as Scott Wright already questioned, does this now mean that Mayock views Earl Thomas as a top 5 talent in the draft and the # 1 DB available, or has he dropped Eric Berry down to a mid to late 1st round prospect in Mayock's eyes??

San Diego Chicken
02-24-2010, 06:50 PM
My problem with Mayock is he believes he is smarter than everyone and tends to overthink things. Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct one. If a player is dominant, it's ok to overlook minor flaws.

Also, I don't like it when he admits he hasn't watched tape on a player. Why not? If I was a player is a top 200 projection, you would think a draft analyst who makes way more that he should would have already watched hours of tape on him by the time the draft season comes around.

Kiper has the most experience doing this by far, so I'll trust his opinion the most. If not him, Scott, even though I'm not a fan of Scotts rankings this year.

ToldLikeItIs
02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Also has Bryan Bulaga as a top 5 pick and as the fastest rising OL.

FUNBUNCHER
02-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Iowa OTs scare me especially, (mainly) after what happened with Gallery. Maybe I'm being superstitious, but taking Bulaga in the top 5 with the Skins #4 is sketchy.

TitanHope
02-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Does Mayock only watch a prospect's film from the previous year, or does he examine their play throughout their entire college career??

If the answer is the former, then it's possible Mayock is unaware(!!) why Berry has the rep he does as a football player.

My gut tells me that Berry may have been battling some nagging injuries last year, just a guess, ( I know he missed the bowl game last year against Va Tech), and his changed role in the Vols D may have affected his INT total.

Still Berry doesn't need any excuses, but as Scott Wright already questioned, does this now mean that Mayock views Earl Thomas as a top 5 talent in the draft and the # 1 DB available, or has he dropped Eric Berry down to a mid to late 1st round prospect in Mayock's eyes??

With juniors who declare early, more often than not pro coaches (not so sure about scouts) only watch the previous year's film. So it's not being particulary lazy or anything on Mayock's part, but you're right. One would think a "Draft Expert" would watch more than one season of film on a guy who's widely regarded as the best player at his position.

Also, Berry didn't miss the Chik-Fil-A Bowl against VaTech.

JRTPlaya21
02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Iowa OTs scare me especially, (mainly) after what happened with Gallery. Maybe I'm being superstitious, but taking Bulaga in the top 5 with the Skins #4 is sketchy.

Oh God where did you see that scenario?

JRTPlaya21
02-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I respect Mayock, but I think I'll stick to watching Kiper on ESPN this year.

There fixed that for ya. :)