PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy not throwing at the combine...

Shane P. Hallam
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Per Mortensen.

This is based on advice from Dr. Andrews about his shoulder....discuss.

ThePudge
02-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Well hopefully his medical examination doesn't bury him and he's healthy enough to throw at his Pro Day. As long as his shoulder isn't a major red flag I think a team is going to view McCoy as a potential starter down the road.

niel89
02-24-2010, 05:25 PM
If it helps him get more time to heal up then its a good move. He would be stupid to throw if the arm isn't 100%. It would validate peoples questions about his arm.

Tebow isn't throwing either because he isn't ready mechanically. Its better to wait and get fully ready. Plus they get the benefit of throwing with their receivers at their pro day.

badgerbacker
02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Is any quarterback going to be throwing at the Combine?

Addict
02-24-2010, 05:28 PM
how long until the combine is no longer an event because all meaningful prospects will rely solely on pro day performance which they can perfectly orchestrate?

Really this is getting old. The NFL should just make participation to the combine mandatory. No combine, no draft unless a doctor on NFL payroll gives it a negative reading. Enough with this "my pinky finger is kinda sore, so I can't be bothered to show teams why they should pay me millions of dollars"-BS.

billsfootball15
02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
so who is throwing then at the combine?

K Train
02-24-2010, 05:35 PM
pretty sure jarrett brown is

FUNBUNCHER
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Very rarely does a top QB prospect throw at the combine anyway. This year is no different, IMO.

Grizzlegom
02-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Very rarely does a top QB prospect throw at the combine anyway. This year is no different, IMO.

I can't remember the last time the top FIVE QBs didn't throw at the combine. At least McCoy, Clausen, and Bradford have injury excuses. LeFevour is just making a mistake and Tebow is just too busy trying to fix the throwing motion he should have been improving for the past two years.

All the QBs that actually are throwing have a great opportunity to separate themselves, particularly Tony Pike and Jevan Snead. I could see one of them firmly taking hold of the number 3 QB spot but I could also see it being like 2007 where there was a lump of 4 guys after the top two that never took hold of the reins and there is a run of QBs in the second.

TheRoo
02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I hate that non of the QB's are throwing.

If you think you're that good, grow some balls and throw.

CashmoneyDrew
02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Jonathan Crompton will seize this opportunity to shine and become the greatest QB of all time!

lulz

Geason Noceur
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM
It seems like every day another QB decides not to throw at the combine. At the rate this is going, they're going to have the trainers throw to the WRs during the drills.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I never really know how to trust this whole "his ______ won't be healed, he can't throw". I think that largely agents just look for semi-legitimate (or even just legitimate sounding) reasons to keep their clients cloistered from challenging scenarios during the draft process.

Maybe Colt's shoulder really needs that extra time. Maybe not. I do think, though, that he could have made himself some money at the combine if he could have displayed better intermediate and long accuracy, and that doing so there would have boosted his stock more than doing it at his pro day would.

superman
02-24-2010, 08:24 PM
snead is going to look really good at the combine then. you could just tell watching the college skills comp his throw had a lot more zip on them than the other qb's there

ElectricEye
02-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I never really know how to trust this whole "his ______ won't be healed, he can't throw". I think that largely agents just look for semi-legitimate (or even just legitimate sounding) reasons to keep their clients cloistered from challenging scenarios during the draft process.

Maybe Colt's shoulder really needs that extra time. Maybe not. I do think, though, that he could have made himself some money at the combine if he could have displayed better intermediate and long accuracy, and that doing so there would have boosted his stock more than doing it at his pro day would.

Agree with this. He should be ready to go by now, not a major shoulder injury. Just a burner right? Those take a couple weeks to heal, tops.

wogitalia
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
I personally think that if you are not willing to perform every position drill and physical test at the combine that your invite should be revoked and go to another player who deserves the shot.

Sick of big name players who treat it as a joke and basically show up to get their height and weight measured. If you are a QB who wont throw, a WR who wont catch, a CB who wont run, etc then you aren't allowed to come. Make the combine an actual combine, not a pick and choose.

As for McCoy, if his arm isn't right, fair enough that he wont throw, if it is an excuse, big time mistake. McCoy needs every single thing to go right for him. He has now successfully created doubt in his shoulder and effectively confirmed that he does not have the arm strength or confidence in his arm to throw in the NFL. Basically, barring the medical tests confirming his shoulder is stuffed(which is equally bad) he fell a good 3 rounds for me and is more of a 5-6 guy who now is basically banking on an incredible pro day to save his stock.

See if you throw and look bad, you have a chance to go and work hard and show improvement at your pro day, if you don't throw and then you throw bad there, no chance to recover.

Sometimes I wonder who advises these kids to make such horrendous decisions.

Morton
02-24-2010, 09:28 PM
So basically nobody's going to be doing the QB drills except for a bunch of small-school scrubs.

That's going to be a fun day to watch.

yourfavestoner
02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Everybody is saying in the other thread about how the combine is really just for interviews and only a small piece of the overall puzzle.

Then everybody freaks out when somebody doesn't participate in the drills.

So which is it?

Morton
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Everybody is saying in the other thread about how the combine is really just for interviews and only a small piece of the overall puzzle.

So which is it?

I don't care if the Combine is useful for evaluation purposes - I'm looking at this from the perspective of a fan who wants to watch the Combine on TV for entertainment purposes. :)

yourfavestoner
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't care if the Combine is useful for evaluation purposes - I'm looking at this from the perspective of a fan who wants to watch the Combine on TV for entertainment purposes. :)

And that's the problem. It's really not that big of a deal, but we're a bunch of nerds that care way too much.

I've never understood how people can sit and watch the combine. Watching paint dry is more exciting. The only interesting thing about it - the interviews - we're not even privy to.

Don Vito
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I wish the top prospects would just participate in the combine, this is getting ridiculous.

TACKLE
02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Like YFS said, the combine is mostly about interviews and medical checkups. The players should feel no obligation to the fans to participate in the drills for their entertainment especially if they don't feel like they're going to be a successful as they can possibly can.

NGSeiler
02-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Has McCoy suffered some kind of setback then? Because the talk in mid January was that it was a two-week recovery.

Joe Schad said on his Twitter (http://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/7509273526) on January 8th that McCoy said he should recover "in days." An AP article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4825474&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines) on January 14th had McCoy saying he should be 100% in two weeks.

Now it's late February and he's been advised not to throw by his doctor? Is he simply using his injury and his doctor as a "Get Out of Combine Free" card so he can wait until a more favorable environment at his pro day, or is this pinched nerve really still an issue?

Paranoidmoonduck
02-25-2010, 01:35 AM

So which is it?

I think there's a pretty big difference in importance between finding out if a certain cornerback jumps 38 or 40 inches in the air and watching a guy run drills that important to his position. It's a great chance to watch receivers run routes, cornerbacks take a drop and flip their hips, and it's especially useful for guys like McCoy who were productive but have some pretty significant questions about their throwing ability.

Whenever I hear anyone talk about the combine being overrated, it's because guys jump up for running a few hundredth's of a second faster than the rest of their group or displaying non-functional strength. I don't see the argument that positional drills aren't a useful reference point.

SKim172
02-25-2010, 02:06 AM

Except McCoy isn't exactly a top QB prospect.

It doesn't hurt him much, I think, because he was projected to be 2nd-round at best, with a pretty low floor. But it doesn't help him and a good Combine performance could have done that.

Oh well, gives the other QBs a chance to shine.

I'm personally rooting for Mike Kafka to become a star in the league. Because then the nerdy intellectual lit geeks will be able to make lame jokes for his entire career. "Kafka, eh? Maybe if he gets drafted by the Rams, he'll be able to lead them on a METAMORPHOSIS! ahahahahah!"

And it's fitting that he's from Northwestern, the school of nerdy intellectual journalism.

Me Likey Rookies
02-25-2010, 02:58 AM
And that's the problem. It's really not that big of a deal, but we're a bunch of nerds that care way too much.

I've never understood how people can sit and watch the combine. Watching paint dry is more exciting. The only interesting thing about it - the interviews - we're not even privy to.

You dont watch? I love the Senior Bowl more than the Combine but the excitement of the juniors and top seniors competing is huge for me.

Saturday - Okung, ADavis, Bulaga, Campbell, etc going through pass pro drills

Sunday - 40s!! and the WR gauntlet is pretty cool

Monday - Suh, McCoy, Price, Morgan, JPP, Graham, Griffen 40s and pass rush drills

Tuesday - Berry, Thomas, Haden, Wilson, Cox, etc 40s and drills

Those 4 days are going to be awesome. And yes I know 40s are overrated but they are fun to watch.

SloppyJoe
02-25-2010, 08:04 AM
anyone has a timeschedule for the combine?
i can only find the days where the player will work out, but not the time

Texas Homer
02-26-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure what to think.

I hope McCOY is healthy. If the arm isn't good to go then I'm fine with him not throwing at the combine.

I can't see him not throwing helping his draft stock, but hey what do I know.

Colt measuring in at 6'1 1/8 is good for him (imo). I guess that he would likely be 6'2 in cleats.

I'm almost too biased to guess/project this, but I'll say late 2nd round.

Gmen1987
02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
No surprise. McCoy probably doesn't want to show off his noodle arm anyways.

Supporting Caste
02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
McCoy is awful. Why the hell would anyone draft him?