PDA

View Full Version : Terrelle Pryor

Jericho@SC
03-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Is anyone as scared of this guy as I am? 6'6, can run like hell, and can throw.

Sounds like Vince Young 2.0 to me. If he becomes a decent passer, you gotta believe the team that has him will be seriously competing for a MNC as long as they surround him with proper talent.

He's certainly not going to USC. If he goes to OSU, I'll be very afraid in the near future. Here's hoping he goes to say, Pitt or PSU.

On a similar note, Florida QB Cameron Newton is built in the same mold. I guess for these guys it will be a question of whether they can be decent passers in addition to being athletes.

Can anyone comment on the passing abilities of these two, and their potential to become stars/play at the next leve?

Jhasley10
03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
so if he throws like vince young , he throws like the uncle on NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE?

WildDude
03-17-2007, 05:02 PM
im looking at him and it seems hes also a top recruit for basketball and im not sure which route he'll take because it seems like alot are picking basketball these days... Byron Eaton- no doubt better at football cause he sucks at basketball, Greg paulus, Matt Trannon, etc.

Jericho@SC
03-18-2007, 04:10 AM
Basketball would be smart in terms of an injury risk point of view. But it seems that he has more upside in Football, being 6'6 QB that can run.

6'6 guards in the NBA are easy to find. Vince Young clones in the NFL aren't.

reigle9
03-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Basketball would be smart in terms of an injury risk point of view. But it seems that he has more upside in Football, being 6'6 QB that can run.

I'm a PSU fan (obviously) and from PA so I know a lot about him. He was leaning towards basketball early, but now realizes his future is in football for the reason you stated. He's going to try and play both in college. PSU, OSU and and Pitt are the three huge favorites.

keylime_5
04-24-2007, 06:26 PM

True, but there's only about 12 or 15 men or something like that on an NBA roster and the players get paid a lot more compared to the 53 men NFL rosters who all get paid less because of the amount of NFL players compared to NBA players.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
His arm needs to develop more before the VY comparisons start beyond their similar physical attributes, I am not that impressed with his ability to pass as of yet.

keylime_5
04-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Well he is still a junior in high school, so he's what? 16 or 17? Give him time, he'll get there if he goes to college as a QB

DoWnThEfiElD
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Ya thats exactly what im saying, the only reason he is getting VY comparisons is because he runs and is about the same size.

snee51
04-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I play football for a school in Pryor's conference, and have had the pleasure of playing against him. He is a very special player and was not like anyone i'd ever played against before. I also had the pleasure of knocking him on his butt when i pulled around the end playing guard. It would be cool one day to say i knocked a star NFL quarterback on his butt. HAHA

slightlyaraiderfan
04-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Ya thats exactly what im saying, the only reason he is getting VY comparisons is because he runs and is about the same size.
You know they will also look at the color of his skin, that's just the way people are.

gstock05
04-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't think it's just measurables however.

He is at about the same point quarterback wise as Vince was at this point. Furthermore, his mechanics are a bit 3/4 armed like he was in addition to the identical measurables, running style, and physicality. Although I wouldn't say his mechanics are as sidearmed as vince was..

reigle9
04-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I think the VY comparisons are extremely legit no matter what color he is.

dRaFtDoRk
05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
He is a lot of peoples #1 overall recruit in Football, and is a pretty good recruit so far for basketball(#23 on Rivals.com). So either way, the kid has a future. IMO, his future is better in basketball because so many kids are leaving early after there freshman years, so he has a chance to step up early unlike in football.

oakraiders2007
05-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Ahh yes, he's one of my good friends of mine in high school. He played basketball and football too. He's a great player. I'm telling you, this kid is a freaking stud.

JCarver27
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Ahh yes, he's one of my good friends of mine in high school. He played basketball and football too. He's a great player. I'm telling you, this kid is a freaking stud.
Thanks for the news flash. Can you get to work on figuring out if water is wet?

supermario86
05-04-2007, 09:38 PM
He needs to go to Michigan

keylime_5
05-04-2007, 10:28 PM
You know they will also look at the color of his skin, that's just the way people are.

Just like every big back with dreadlocks gets a Ricky WIlliams comparison, every hawaiin DB gets a Polamalu comparison, etc.

VY10
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
As I have said before in another thread, comparing him to VY is unfair. He can have all of the physical attributes and abilities Vince had but I doubt he or any other player will come threw as big as vince did in the Rose Bowl.

Sniper
05-30-2007, 03:13 PM
He needs to go to Michigan

Eh if we get him, we get him. Michigan has never exactly been known as a haven for dual-threat QBs, and we just got Ryan Mallett who I think is a better QUARTERBACK, without the running ability

23trufant
05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I heard he wants to play both Basketball and Football in college. I know UNC is not really a realistic option but I read awhile back he loved UNC basketball. Could possibly make him look at UNC if he really ends up trying to play both. Ronald Curry did it at UNC. Didnt work our very well for him though he was a decent QB and PG.

CC
05-30-2007, 07:34 PM
I heard he wants to play both Basketball and Football in college. I know UNC is not really a realistic option but I read awhile back he loved UNC basketball. Could possibly make him look at UNC if he really ends up trying to play both. Ronald Curry did it at UNC. Didnt work our very well for him though he was a decent QB and PG.

This is why I think Pitt is being way underrated for his services. He is from PA and doesn't want to be too far from his father. He is a great basketball player and Pitt is a very good basketball school, additionally there would be next to no competition at QB for Pryor.

keylime_5
05-30-2007, 08:10 PM
True Pitt would make sense, but from what I've heard it's most likely a 2 horse race between Ohio State and Penn State. A Vince Young talent wouldn't have a shot at a national title at Pittsburgh, and don't forget that Ohio State was in the national championship this year in basketball and football; has had 3 great recruiting classes in basketball; and Thad Matta is a great basketball coach. I'm not so sure that he'd be a 2 sport star in the end, just a football guy. He might play hoops his first two years maybe.

Sniper
05-30-2007, 09:03 PM
True Pitt would make sense, but from what I've heard it's most likely a 2 horse race between Ohio State and Penn State. A Vince Young talent wouldn't have a shot at a national title at Pittsburgh, and don't forget that Ohio State was in the national championship this year in basketball and football; has had 3 great recruiting classes in basketball; and Thad Matta is a great basketball coach. I'm not so sure that he'd be a 2 sport star in the end, just a football guy. He might play hoops his first two years maybe.

Well if it's a two horse race between Ohio State and Penn State I'm putting my money on OSU. There's some insecurity at QB right now in Columbus and he could play right away. If he's really trying to play hoops too, OSU is a no-brainer compared to PSU. Looks like Mallett vs. Pryor for a couple of years, should be a doozy!

Michigan
05-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Eh if we get him, we get him. Michigan has never exactly been known as a haven for dual-threat QBs, and we just got Ryan Mallett who I think is a better QUARTERBACK, without the running ability

Mallett is a much better QB, but that doesn't matter. If Pryor comes to Michigan, it's going to be as a DE, the position we've been recruiting him at and the better position for his skillset. However, Pryor unconditionally wants to play QB and won't seriously consider us until we recruit him as a QB.

JCarver27
05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
I think the "2 horse race" is between OSU and Pitt. I also think WVU is a team to look out for.

keylime_5
05-31-2007, 10:06 AM
PSU, PIt......nobody really knows anything about him regarding his favorites b/c he hasn't really said much, but he has been seen on many occasion wearing OSU garb, and he's friends with Mike Adams.

JCarver27
05-31-2007, 10:10 AM
and brewster. probably shugarts. we got some great recruiters as recruits.

keylime_5
05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Not to mention that we are getting Andrew Sweat and maybe Shayne Hale out of Pennsylvania this year.

Grizzlegom
05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing him come to PSU because he gets a lot of hype and seems to be really good but the only game ive seen him play was last year jeanette played my high school alma mater, wilson, in the state championship and he was pretty average in the game and wilson won.

he also wants to play basketball and football though so that would lead me to believe PSU isnt really a big threat because we bite the big one when it comes to basketball, but maybe he will pull one of those im gonna go there and turn the program around things.

NittanyLion2k7
06-12-2007, 02:54 AM
Terrelle Pryor has eliminated Pitt from his list according to a Pittsburgh Tribune Review report.

I read the news from a Pennlive.com blog entry seen here :

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1181446833282180.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

It's all the way at the bottom.

According to the blog entry he's now down to 11 schools... with PSU still in it. This could be a D-Will part 2...

HoopsDemon12
06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
I just really really dont like the vince young comparisons for some reason... i mean i hated the lebron james is the next micheal jordan crap to... he isnt V 2.0.... he is gonna be terrel pryor V 1.0...

keylime_5
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
They are very similar in regards to tools. Both are great great runners and tall/lanky people. Both have strong arms and throw a similar ball too. Pryor is the closest thing to Vince Young there is. And just like Vince he's the #1 HS FB prospect in the country coming out. Nothing wrong with those comparisons. He actually might be a better thrower at this point in his career than Vince was (not that either was a great thrower in HS though).

I think the LeBron/Jordan comparisons are dorky too. LeBron is more like a better Magic Johnson or something. LeBron plays Power Forward sometimes, Jordan could only play the 1 and 2 positions. Every good noncenter phenom these days has to get compared to MJ. (If you wanna compare him to MJ why don't they give him the same rules as MJ then? See how many 50 point game LeBron gets when you can't touch him on the perimeter)

504 to ATL
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Pryor down to 12, and guess what Pitt is not one of em.

Sniper
06-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Pryor down to 12, and guess what Pitt is not one of em.

You're 9 days late on that one bud. Look up a couple posts.

keylime_5
06-21-2007, 11:01 AM
There's a good interview with Pryor on rivals.
http://ohiostate.rivals.com/video.asp?pkey=43028&section=fbrecruit&vidtype=amp&vidid=2588

kid's got quite an arm. Sounds like it's a PSU/OSU battle to my ears.

TACKLE
06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
I understand the physical comparisons to VY but you can't quite say Pryor is gonna be VY 2.0 yet. What makes Vince so special is not only his physical tools but his ability to take over in clutch situations. Few athletes in professional or even college sports have the ability to take over a game. Although Pryor may be special he still has a lot to prove.

gstock05
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Tackle, there is a big difference between saying someone IS as good as Vince Young, and saying that a player has a lot of the same attributes as Vince Young. Hence the purpose of a player comparison... it's simply a way to figure out a player's "style" of play. It doesn't mean they will absolutely be as good as the such player they're compared to.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Is Pryor supposed to be better than Clausen? Both were 5 stars, but number rating? Are they 99 rating prospects?

keylime_5
06-21-2007, 08:46 PM
I think Clausen is probably considered a higher rated QB prospect than Pryor. But as an athlete Pryor is right up there. He is right with Vince Young coming out of high school as far as dual threat QBs go I believe.

kwilk103
06-22-2007, 01:55 AM
There's a good interview with Pryor on rivals.
http://ohiostate.rivals.com/video.asp?pkey=43028&section=fbrecruit&vidtype=amp&vidid=2588

kid's got quite an arm. Sounds like it's a PSU/OSU battle to my ears.

wvu will be in it till the end; with pat white emerging (overshadowed by slaton to casual fans) and getting noel devine, along with bob huggins being the great recruiter he is, you cant count them out

NY+Giants=NYG
06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
I think Clausen is probably considered a higher rated QB prospect than Pryor. But as an athlete Pryor is right up there. He is right with Vince Young coming out of high school as far as dual threat QBs go I believe.

Yeah I figured the hype out of Clausen was more than Pryor, and even remembered hearing from the time ESPN showed Clausen's HS team on tv, that he was the best talent to come in a while. But where ever I read, they say Pryor has Vince Young athletic ability.

gstock05
06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
You really can't compare Clausen and Pryor.

Clausen was about 10 x more polished than most 5 star quarterbacks are coming out of highschool due to the rediculous amount of coaching he received.

Pryor has had none of that, but probably has a stronger arm, is a legit 6'6 220, 4.45 guy who has absolutely dominated all competition for the most part.

He needs to work on his passing obviously in the same way vince did, but he has the tools.

Acreboy
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
so if he throws like vince young , he throws like the uncle on NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE?

I love this animated gif

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/vinceyoung.gif

VY10
06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
My problem with pryor is that he wants to play both basketball and football. Thats too much and the sports even overlap. If I was him I would play just one and make that my future profession. He has the tools of VY, I just don't think he has the focus on football to truly reach his potential.

reigle9
06-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I've been saying this for the past year but I guess it needs to be said again. He knows his future is in football, and he's going to play basketball on the side if he can handle it.

It's between OSU and PSU and always has been.

DoWnThEfiElD
06-27-2007, 11:59 AM
You really can't compare Clausen and Pryor.

Clausen was about 10 x more polished than most 5 star quarterbacks are coming out of highschool due to the rediculous amount of coaching he received.

Pryor has had none of that, but probably has a stronger arm, is a legit 6'6 220, 4.45 guy who has absolutely dominated all competition for the most part.

He needs to work on his passing obviously in the same way vince did, but he has the tools.

I have saw nothing that made me think that Pryor has a stronger arm. I truely believe that running QBs are a crap shoot, its hard to predict how they will turn out from one level to another. I believe it is probably the hardest type of player to project. Often times these guys highlight reels look amazing because they are able to scamble and find someone to pass to in HS, but in college, and then in the NFL its completely different and they look average.

This is the top 5 senior dual threat QBs according to rivals in from 2002-2004

#1. Vincent Young - 6-5/195/4.4 Houston, TX 1 Texas
#8. Marcus Vick - 6-0/185/4.4 Newport News, VA 2 Virginia Tech
#30. James Banks - 6-3/195/4.5 Indianapolis, IN 3 Tennessee
#57. Gavin Dickey - 6-0/190/4.4 Tallahassee, FL 4 Florida
#67. Lester Ricard Jr. - 6-4/195/4.6 Denham Springs, LA 5 LSU

#32. Robert Lane - 6-3/210/4.6 Monroe, LA 1 Ole Miss
#57. Dennis Dixon - 6-4/180/4.5 San Leandro, CA 2 Oregon
#84. Marcus Stone - 6-4/230/4.6 Harrisburg, PA 3 NC State
Tyler Donovan - 6-1/185/4.55 Hartland, WI 4 Wisconsin
Syvelle Newton - 6-2/210/4.5 Bennetsville, SC 5 South Carolina

#10. Xavier Lee 6.1 6-4/200/4.5 Daytona Beach, FL 1 Florida State
#16. Matthew Tuiasosopo 6.1 6-2/200/4.5 Woodinville, WA 2 Washington
Robert Johnson - 6-1/195/4.45 Reedley, CA NR Texas Tech
# 41. Robbie Reid 6.0 6-3/224/4.4 Galena Park, TX 3 Oklahoma State
#69. Chase Patton 6.0 6-4/205/4.7 Columbia, MO 4 Missouri
#97. Nick Patton 5.9 6-3/205/4.4 Winfield, KS 5 Kansas State

How many of these guys ever made an impact that their star rating would have suggested? Now im not saying Pryor will be a bust but i don't see why he is getting so much hype. He is no more polished that any of the other guys on this list, other than his size i don't think that his video is head and shoulders above any of these other guys was. All im saying is consider the transition a dual threat QB is being asked to make before we start comparing Pryor to Young.

keylime_5
06-27-2007, 04:51 PM
The only guy on your list there that was rated as high as Pryor though was Vince Young. He turned out okay methinks. All those other guys are rated much lower than Pryor for the most part.

Jericho@SC
06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Does he really run a 4.4? If he runs what Scout posted (4.7) then I think that makes a big difference.

It's one thing to deal with a running QB that runs a 4.4 and another when dealing with a QB who runs a 4.7. I don't remember if Vince Young ran a 4.4 but he was definitely around that speed.

504 to ATL
06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
We all know Vince didnt run a legit 4.4

Woody56
06-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Does he really run a 4.4? If he runs what Scout posted (4.7) then I think that makes a big difference.

It's one thing to deal with a running QB that runs a 4.4 and another when dealing with a QB who runs a 4.7. I don't remember if Vince Young ran a 4.4 but he was definitely around that speed.

Vince timed 4.57 at the Texas pro day last year

keylime_5
06-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Just goes to show how important forty times really are. I haven't seen anyone catch Vince from behind once. I've seen him blow through gaps a million times.

reigle9
06-27-2007, 06:49 PM
It's hard to understand how fast Pryor is because of his height. He doesn't look like he's moving that fast but I never saw him get caught either. I'm guessing he'll never run a timed 40 until it's time to get drafted.

gstock05
06-27-2007, 06:51 PM
In one of the articles writtin about pryor, he says he's faster than his cousin, WR Toney Clemons who is going to Michigan. Take that fwiw.

Another thing with guys around the 6'6 height is their burst wont be as high usually, but their top end speed is always better than the short guys because their long legs.

From what I saw in a few of the highlight reels is that he's pretty damn fast. some of the reels its hard to tell, but others you really just say wow.

keylime_5
06-27-2007, 06:54 PM
He looks fast enough, but he's very elusive and weaves through traffic very well - that's what counts for a scrambling QB.

reese
06-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Vince timed 4.57 at the Texas pro day last year

i read that he ran that 40 in sweats

DoWnThEfiElD
06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Well i was just saying its very tough to project dual QBs. Pryor has tons of work to do before he is half the player VY turned out to be. Thats not a knock on Pryor as much as it is a testiment to what VY accomplished.

-black
06-27-2007, 07:41 PM
why are people acting like a 4.57 is slow? thats a good time

DoWnThEfiElD
06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
The reason that Vince's forty time is so impressive is because you have to consider that there probably isn't a better QB and running near full speed and looking down field to pass. He does that like nobody else.

I don't care what a QB runs if he isn't looking downfield while he is doing it.