PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Round Who is ''Best Player Available?''

Prowler
02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
so mel kiper has earl thomas falling out of the first round on doubts that he's even 5-10 and 200lbs. if he's there in the 2nd then who do we pick him over?

earl thomas-solid first
mike iupati-mid first to here
jahvid best-anywhere from late first to 3rd round
kyle wilson-late first
brandon graham-late first in most mocks
bruce campbell-elite measureables but sliding back to earth now
trent williams-right tackle not left
maurkice pouncey-late 1st grade
carlos dunlap-dui

who is ''best player available for us?''

BRAVEHEART
02-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Kyle Wilson is my favorite CB this year, and as i Lions fan I view his value as a legit 1st round talent for any team picking past 15. You know we need help at CB.

Prowler
02-25-2010, 02:00 PM
i'm still leaning iupati, but am seeing the argument for grabbing a guard later and taking an elite skill type. i love kyle wilson, and the whole thomas falling thing could put a bit of a wrench in my draft system. i wouldn't be upset if we took any of these guys although dunlap and trent would be at the bottom of the list.

woodnick
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Jonathan Dwyer. The dude is DOWN to 225 lbs. and is suposedly looking ripped. I'm guessing that he is gonna run a 4.45-4.49 at the combine and will be a stud at the next level. If people haven't done it yet, do yourself a favor and youtube his highlight film...he runs over people, very decisive picking a hole between the tackles, and he pulls away from DBs in the openfield....kind of football fast.

tblain1
02-25-2010, 03:35 PM
I like Earl Thomas. Campbell is probably #2 for me from your list then Wilson.
Others not listed: Ryan Matthews - for all the Javhid Best comments I think I'd rather have Matthews.
Vlad Duchasse (who went one or two after our 2nd round pick in Scott's latest mock). Really there are a bunch of OTs who would be nice in our 2nd slot.

I didn't list Graham because ... man I just don't think he'll fall.

detroit4life
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
if iupati is there and we have the chance to really solidify our LG hole for the future i think we gotta do it.

If not i want it to be defense preferably Graham or Wilson

Problem with wilson is im afraid to put a rookie CB (who would probly be our best CB) up vs every teams #1 WR with out nonexistent pass rush

SINCE1978
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
I voted "other" to bring another guy into the fold ... Everson Griffen, DE USC. Sum it up by saying this about his skills, in the ND game last year I watched in amazement as he dropped into coverage on 2 occasions to man up Golden Tate!! Scott is not that high on him (#4 ranked DE) but he played at like 270+ & is great against the pass. Plus, DT - DE 1 - 2 is really exciting to me.

Wilson & Iupati are a close 2a 2b & fill HUGE needs. It's tough to pick. RB can be filled in rd 3 (Blunt) or 4 (Hardesty) imho.

Vlad Duchasse (who went one or two after our 2nd round pick in Scott's latest mock). Really there are a bunch of OTs who would be nice in our 2nd slot.

I like his skills as G or T but also think in real life he will be around in rd 3. Just my opinion. ;o)

if iupati is there and we have the chance to really solidify our LG hole for the future i think we gotta do it.

If not i want it to be defense preferably Graham or Wilson

Problem with wilson is im afraid to put a rookie CB (who would probly be our best CB) up vs every teams #1 WR with out nonexistent pass rush

Can a top 2 caliber rookie be much worse than Will James or Phil Buchanon? I'm jsut say'n .... ;o) I like his moxy (Wilson) ... I think he has what it takes day 1.

Aard
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I voted Iupati, considering it a no-brainer. I also can't envision him falling very deep into the second half of round one, so it's moot. Same with Graham; he'll be gone in the first round.

DoWnThEfiElD
02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
This is tough, because it will change a lot based off the combine. Those LT's could be the best value if they fall depending on how they work out.

noondog
02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I want Iupati soooo bad, but history and value have led me to vote for Wilson. He would instantly upgrade a very important defensive position and have greater impact in the game on the whole vs a G.

Besides, Wilson's got the attitdude to mesh really well with Delmas. I think that they'd bring some serious character and swagger to our secondary, which would be a positive. He would help the D grow an identity.

Iupati, on the other hand, would have great impact on the O-line, but we can also grab a G in the rounds 3-5 range who could also be an upgrade where the drop-off in talent and impact would be far less than if we passed on a CB in round 2 and instead opted to get one in rounds 3-5.

styles44
02-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I voted for Graham simply because the headline read "Who would you take". If he's there, absolutely. He'd be the best player on that list as far as I'm concerned, however I don't believe he'll be there for us to pick. If he does make it past the 1st round I see a number of teams calling St. Louis to trade up for him.

2nd vote is for Iupati, then Wilson, then Best.

I'm secretly hoping that they choose Best because the kid is just a freak show and if he can stay healthy, he's the homerun threat we need. A very sexy pick but a very risky pick. I would feel much much more comfortable taking him in the 3rd round but I don't see him falling that far. ::crosses fingers::

DoWnThEfiElD
02-26-2010, 08:53 AM
I voted for Graham simply because the headline read "Who would you take". If he's there, absolutely. He'd be the best player on that list as far as I'm concerned, however I don't believe he'll be there for us to pick. If he does make it past the 1st round I see a number of teams calling St. Louis to trade up for him.

2nd vote is for Iupati, then Wilson, then Best.

I'm secretly hoping that they choose Best because the kid is just a freak show and if he can stay healthy, he's the homerun threat we need. A very sexy pick but a very risky pick. I would feel much much more comfortable taking him in the 3rd round but I don't see him falling that far. ::crosses fingers::

I feel the same way about Best. He can be a Jamal Charles/Chris Johnson type player when he is healthy.

Noondog, that was an excellent post. That is so true, I would be very interested to see who the staff would pick given Wilson and Iputi both being available. They have said they will go BPA again, they coach both at the Senior Bowl, so I would love to know who they have rated higher.

SINCE1978
02-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a gut feeling that Lions forum favs Wilson, Graham & Iupati, will each be gobbled up before pick #34. I also feel St. Louis will go QB (Sam Bradford) & we take Suh then go with the "leftovers" (haha) from the above list & go with RB Jahvid Best. His game breaking speed will be tough to pass on although I am still only luke-warm on the pick. Getting warmer though to the possibilities of Suh/Best ...

Scotty D
02-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Our second rounder will be Mardy Gilyard or Jon Dwyer.

Prowler
02-28-2010, 12:21 PM
i'm hoping gilyard falls to our 3rd

noondog
02-28-2010, 12:25 PM
What about taking DeMaryius Thomas in round 3 or 4? He broke his foot and can't workout at the combine and may miss his pro day, but damn he'd look good lined up across from Megatron.

Prowler
02-28-2010, 12:43 PM
sure, i hope shipley and ford break their feet too.

SINCE1978
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Our second rounder will be Mardy Gilyard or Jon Dwyer.

Smokescreens my friend.

Scotty D
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Smokescreens my friend.

Where theres smoke, theres fire! :D

Prowler
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
the more i think about it, the more i can guarantee that our 2nd round pick will be a running back. killer, the free press, everybody has an article saying that the lions will take a running back in the draft and it will potentially be as high as 2nd round. ford jr probably had a drunken all nighter at a club and started screaming that the lions were taking a running back in the second round and these articles were produced to smooth over and cover the incident up. ''maybe'', ''potentially'', this is just damage control. the lions will take one in the second round.

plus if we get cro then we'd have cro, james/buchanon at corner with king or maybe hobbs at nickel. then again schwartz will probably sub or bench a few of them all in at different times of the year to keep the competition alive. so corner will be on the back burner. and i like morris but he's 30 now and kevin smith is on the last year of his deal. we're building our ''triplets''. rb makes sense from the front office.

SINCE1978
02-28-2010, 06:41 PM
I think they must draft a RB, pick #34 is awful high. Again I'll say, RB's are a dime a dozen & it's what have you done for me lately (just ask Larry Johnson, Cedrick Benson or LT)

Getting a Tate,Hardesty,Starks or Dixon in rd 4 is fine by me ...

noondog
03-01-2010, 12:05 AM
SO many RB's impressed today. I think that the combine just allowed the Lions to put their RB needs on the back shelf a bit with so many quality players available at the position.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-01-2010, 08:37 AM
It sounds like they are going BPA again. so at least there is comfort knowing we probably wont reach for an RB.