PDA

View Full Version : Seizing the opportunity?

RealityCheck
02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy won't throw at the Combine. Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow? Won't do anything there.
This could be an opportunity for the other QBs in this class come out of nowhere and skyrocket on draft boards, like Joe Flacco in 2008. Let's have a look at the possible breakouts in this year's Draft.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/kevin_armstrong/10/14/tony-pike/tony-pike-p1.jpg
At 6'6" and 225, Tony Pike from Cincinnati has a great size for a QB, a strong arm and good intangible and leadership skills. After replacing senior Dustin Grutza during a game against Oklahoma in 2008, Pike instantly became the starter on the Bearcats, and led them to the Orange Bowl. Coming into the 2009 season with huge potential, he showed why he was pro material leading Cincy to a 12-1 record and the Big East Title.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R3ZxeLpyO3I/AAAAAAAAEWA/e7Sr5w7nYbw/s400/SeanCanfield.jpg
Sean Canfield from Oregon State may have some injury problems, but he's got the tools to be a solid pro quarterback of the future. He spent most of his college career battling with Lyle Moevao for the starting QB spot for the Beavers and simultaneously with injuries, but he still managed to put up good numbers and be the brain of Oregon State's skilled offense.

http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/sportsbeacon/DanLeFevour.jpg
I know he's not throwing at the combine as well, but I just want to talk a little about him. Most total touchdowns in FBS history, good size, dual-threat prospect, holder of dozens of records. That's Dan LeFevour from Central Michigan. His biggest challenge? The fact that he's coming from the MAC. He may be yet another victim of the system that prefers passers from big schools than small schools. Hopefully he can follow Joe Flacco's footprints.

http://www.fordhamobserver.com/polopoly_fs/1.1943079!/image/2092179026.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_240/2092179026.jpg
Talk about small schools and Joe Flacco, there's his clone, John Skelton from Fordham, a school in the Bronx mostly known for its academics. Standing at 6'5" and weighing at 244, Skelton has perfect size and a very, very strong arm. After a solid performance at the East-West Shrine Game, the combine is all or nothing for him.

Also worth a look:
Mike Kafka, Northwestern
Jarrett Brown, West Virginia
Levi Brown, Troy

DiG
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/132447/brown.jpg

His athleticism is going to be leagues ahead of every other qb on site and his arm strength will continue to show in comparison to other qbs. Coaches who take a liking to JB and think that he can be coached are going to move him up their board quickly. People forget he only has 1 year of starting experience.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Brown definitely has a chance to impress big time at the combine with his athleticism and cannon arm. Teams however will be closely monitoring his mechanics.

FlyingElvis
02-25-2010, 02:10 PM
It's safe to assume his size will make evaluators very happy and then, as a wicked smaht kid, he'll impress in interviews and score well in all the "Football IQ" portions of the combine.

So I voted Skelton.

FUNBUNCHER
02-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I forgot about Canfield, IMO he's gonna end up a starter at some point in the league.
The few times I've seen him play, I've always been impressed with what he brings on the field.

BuddyCHRIST
02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Never seen Skelton play, but he's big and I like his last name. So I go with him, also I'm not a huge fan on anyone else. Canfield and Pike are ok, but they look more like backups to me.

ElectricEye
02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Doubt any of those guys really do much for their draft stock beyond moving up a few positions, but doubt any of those guys get drafted in the first three rounds.

OaklandRaider56
02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I love Canfield as a late round prospect, every time I saw him play (other than the iffy bowl game) I was impressed.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Why no Jevan Snead?

Anyway, Flacco didn't come out of nowhere and it definitely wasn't him throwing in shorts at the combine that launched him into the first round. I don't think any guy is going to do better that establish himself as the best option once the third round comes along.

edit: of that list, I think Skelton probably has the chance to be the most impressive in the combine throwing drills. I'm tempted to say Jarrett Brown, but he managed to look rough even in shorts at the Senior Bowl.

SKim172
02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Skelton was horrible in the Shrine Game. He's got a helluva arm, but he can't pull back on the throttle. No sense of touch and erratic accuracy. Mechanics are messed up, footwork is horrible, he stares down targets, seems to force the ball under pressure. I dunno if he'll impress in drills - scouts might be wowed by his arm, but there's no telling what happens when he needs to make a soft throw. I liked the other small-school QB in the Shrine game, Matt Nichols, a whole lot better.

Jarrett Brown is the obvious choice, but I went with Kafka. Besides having a name that'll be humorous for geeks like me for years to come, I really do think the guy could surprise people simply because of low expectations. As long as he throws the ball and the receiver can catch it, people will be SHOCKED. "What's this!??! That guy can do what any average NFL QB can reasonably do? My God!"

And with no one of consequence throwing the ball, that might be enough for Kafka to earn a late draft pick.

GoRavens
02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
RUSTY SMITH
better than Pike
better than Skelton
better than Tebow
RUSTY SMITH IS THE BEST

TheSlinger
02-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Why no Jevan Snead?

Agreed, I think he's going to step back into the limelight a little bit. He has all the physical tools you want so he can shine at combine/pro days.