PDA

View Full Version : Anquan Boldin... round 2 ?

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I know a lot of you guys have hopped off the "bring Boldin to Baltimore" bandwagon, as have I, but with the recent rumors from the combine, saying Arizona is again willing to ship him this off season;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/combine-rumor-boldin-will-finally-get-dealt/

I was wondering what you guys thought if we only had to give up a 4th at the highest. Would he still be worth it, or would the Ravens be better off drafting the BPA and going with what has always worked for them - building through the draft.

my take -
If Arizona was willing to give up Anquan Boldin for a 4th and Troy Smith (competition for Leniart?) I wouldn't mind Ozzie pulling the trigger on that.

Now, I know he's injury prone AND aging but for a 4th round pick I think he's worth the risk. He'd give us at least 1-2 more years of solid production if he can stay healthy.

BUT - if Arizona wants as high as a 3rd, I think we'd be better off staying away from him.

in reality, I doubt the Raven's are interested. They sent there whole medical staff to the combine to evaluate the players, so obviously, their making durability a big issue, if that's the case, then let's not get too caught up in Anquan Boldin, because he definitely is not known for durability.

what do you guys think?

coordinator0
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I would definitely do it for a fourth. I'd be worried about the contract he would want, but at that price...

TACKLE
02-25-2010, 10:27 PM
If we could trade out 2nd for Boldin, I would jump all over it. It doesn't mean that another WR can't be pursued. It just means there is a legitimate wide reciever threat that they have since , well.....never. I am personally a really big Anquan Boldin fan. I love his physicality and think he would be an excellent fit in the offense. Ozzie has proven he isn't much a WR talent evaluator so getting a guy in the first or second is far from the sure thing. Even if Boldin only has 4 productive years left in him he could take a team that is on the cusp to the next level.

ChefMike
02-26-2010, 08:10 AM
As long as we can keep our #1 intact then lets pull the trigger and I don't see why Ozzie and crew wouldn't do it. We don't have a problem trading for talent.

Only question would be would be the back up QB if we traded Smith?

coordinator0
02-26-2010, 09:31 AM
John Beck, sadly.

Hines
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Q is worth more than a 4th and Smith IMO. Yeah he gets injured, but he's one of the better WRs in the league. Second is more likely to get Q.

coordinator0
02-26-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't think a 4th would get it done either, but it'd be nice :). Our second would probably be what they would ask for, since we pick later in the round.

Smith and a 2nd for Boldin and a 5th. Don't know if I'd do it...

Hines
02-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Boldin is better than any second round player you can possibly get. Troy Smith is expendible big time. It'd be a very good trade for the Ravens.

ChefMike
02-26-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be had for just a 3rd. He has that injury tag on him just like McGahee did and he didn't have a huge season. If we could get him straight up for a 3rd that would be a huge haul for us before the draft to bring in 2 pieces to solve the WR riddle and then draft the BPA in the draft like we always do. Then continue to fill the holes we have in depth.

RavenMadness
02-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Anquan Bolidin for a 4th? No way. The dude is 1st round value and won't be dealt for anything less then a 2nd rounder. If they were really willing to deal him for a 4th you would have 32 NFL teams lined up with their picks.

I don't think were in for another long and dissapointed offseason when it comes to young recievers. The latest coming out of Denver is that Marshall wants to be back and the team wants him back. But, there are tons of other options.

BTW: Don't buy the rumors of us trading a 2nd Rounder for Malcom Floyd...That would be an epic fail.

Antonio Bryant- The Bucs let him walk and he runs some of the best crosses you will ever see.

T.O.- Love him or hate him he brings it every single season. His body of work ethic is off the charts for an 35+ year old wide reciever and given a QB in Buffalo he probably would not be a FA this season.

A trade I wouldn't mind seeing is KC for Dwayne Bowe. The new Front Office has been shopping him since the moment he got their and if you can motivate him he will be the next great young WR.

As for the Draft their are some intrugining options.

Damien Williams WR USC- You want some big time potential with few risk? Pick Damien Williams. Runs some of the best routes I have ever seen and has relatively good size at 6'1. An extremely quick guy but lacks that long vertical speed us Ravens fans wants us too see. He's not physical but he is extemely athletic and lean and is all about the YAC. With his crisp routes and quick feet he has the chance to be the next Wes Welker. Add this into the fact he has some of the best work ethic and personallity. Watch out for Damien Williams he has the chance to be a very special player in this league.

NFL Comparison: Wes Welker

Brandon LaFell WR LSU- A big play guy out of LSU. Has tons of upside being big and strong at 6'3 210. A big and physical reciever who consitently beat the jam at LSU and is a gifted jumper, catching some incredible balls at times. Has an awesome jump ball and isn't afraid to get hit. The problem is he's not the greatest athlete in the NFL and tends to lack a burst in his breaks.

NFL Comparison: Bernard Berrian

Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinatti- Talk about a bomb waiting to erupt. He's perhaps my favorite WR coming out in this years Draft. He's a poor mans version of DeSean Jackson who has that element of speed that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Awesome senior bowl player capped off with his special return ability has elevated him into the 2nd Round.

NFL Comparison: Tedd Gin jr. (Better Version)

Jordan Shipley WR Texas- He's a better prospect then last year's Austin Collie as he has similar quickness as Damien Williams. He posses that rare vision and will make a huge play after beating teams over and overa again from slants, ins, and outs. Rarely dropped a ball at his tenur in Texas and has great acceleration.

NFL Comparison: Anthony Gonzalez

For the Record. I'm not a huge fan of Golden Tate (Poor Route's) and Arrelious Benn (Poor work ethic/attitude)

I know the guys I mentioned are crafty guys that can run the underneath routes and relying off their quick feet. But, as of now I'm hoping for an edge rusher or CB in Round 1 and trading up for Mardy Gilyard in round 2.

Thoughts?

GoRavens
02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd much rather see the Ravens sign WR Antonio Bryant, and CB Leigh Bodden in free agency.

RavenMadness
02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Is anybody watching the combine? Bruce Campbell is blowing it up he may have escalated into the top 15. THe Raiders I'm sure are going crazy right now.

thenewfeature06
02-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Trading a 4th and Troy Smith for Boldin is a steal for the Ravens.

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Anquan Bolidin for a 4th? No way. The dude is 1st round value and won't be dealt for anything less then a 2nd rounder. If they were really willing to deal him for a 4th you would have 32 NFL teams lined up with their picks.

I don't think were in for another long and dissapointed offseason when it comes to young recievers. The latest coming out of Denver is that Marshall wants to be back and the team wants him back. But, there are tons of other options.

BTW: Don't buy the rumors of us trading a 2nd Rounder for Malcom Floyd...That would be an epic fail.

Antonio Bryant- The Bucs let him walk and he runs some of the best crosses you will ever see.

T.O.- Love him or hate him he brings it every single season. His body of work ethic is off the charts for an 35+ year old wide reciever and given a QB in Buffalo he probably would not be a FA this season.

A trade I wouldn't mind seeing is KC for Dwayne Bowe. The new Front Office has been shopping him since the moment he got their and if you can motivate him he will be the next great young WR.

As for the Draft their are some intrugining options.

Damien Williams WR USC- You want some big time potential with few risk? Pick Damien Williams. Runs some of the best routes I have ever seen and has relatively good size at 6'1. An extremely quick guy but lacks that long vertical speed us Ravens fans wants us too see. He's not physical but he is extemely athletic and lean and is all about the YAC. With his crisp routes and quick feet he has the chance to be the next Wes Welker. Add this into the fact he has some of the best work ethic and personallity. Watch out for Damien Williams he has the chance to be a very special player in this league.

NFL Comparison: Wes Welker

Brandon LaFell WR LSU- A big play guy out of LSU. Has tons of upside being big and strong at 6'3 210. A big and physical reciever who consitently beat the jam at LSU and is a gifted jumper, catching some incredible balls at times. Has an awesome jump ball and isn't afraid to get hit. The problem is he's not the greatest athlete in the NFL and tends to lack a burst in his breaks.

NFL Comparison: Bernard Berrian

Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinatti- Talk about a bomb waiting to erupt. He's perhaps my favorite WR coming out in this years Draft. He's a poor mans version of DeSean Jackson who has that element of speed that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Awesome senior bowl player capped off with his special return ability has elevated him into the 2nd Round.

NFL Comparison: Tedd Gin jr. (Better Version)

Jordan Shipley WR Texas- He's a better prospect then last year's Austin Collie as he has similar quickness as Damien Williams. He posses that rare vision and will make a huge play after beating teams over and overa again from slants, ins, and outs. Rarely dropped a ball at his tenur in Texas and has great acceleration.

NFL Comparison: Anthony Gonzalez

For the Record. I'm not a huge fan of Golden Tate (Poor Route's) and Arrelious Benn (Poor work ethic/attitude)

I know the guys I mentioned are crafty guys that can run the underneath routes and relying off their quick feet. But, as of now I'm hoping for an edge rusher or CB in Round 1 and trading up for Mardy Gilyard in round 2.

Thoughts?

Where did you hear that Arrelious Benn has a poor work ethic and attitude?

And I really doubt Boldin is worth a 2nd round pick. I think the Cards are looking for a 3rd and maybe a player for him. I know he's a great player, but the problem is he is never healthy.

And how is Brandon LaFell similar to Berrian? Lafell is 6-3 205 and Berrian is 6-1 185. Both have totally different playing styles.

ChefMike
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree with you I think that Boldin can he had for less than expected, I really think that the Cardinals are waiting for the right fit to send him to the AFC, they don't want to potentially face him in the NFC and kill them on the field! Plus I think position in the draft is going to determine if the 4th becomes a 3rd or even a 2nd

RavenMadness
02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Where did you hear that Arrelious Benn has a poor work ethic and attitude?

And I really doubt Boldin is worth a 2nd round pick. I think the Cards are looking for a 3rd and maybe a player for him. I know he's a great player, but the problem is he is never healthy.

And how is Brandon LaFell similar to Berrian? Lafell is 6-3 205 and Berrian is 6-1 185. Both have totally different playing styles.[/B]

Are you kidding me? Do you honestly think the Cardinals would trade a 3X pro bowl selection for a 3rd Round pick? You ALWAYS have to wonder the accountability with PFT. Sure he's injury prone, but you can't match the production with a 3rd-4th Round pick. Their are very few sources I trust or even believe and PFT is not one of them.

And I totally didn't mean to say Bernard Berrian...I don't know why I wrote that...I was watching higlhlights of Ryan Matthews and I coveted Berrian heavily when he came out of Fresno State as he was one of the best play makers ever to come out of that school.

Anyway, the easy comparison is Dwayne Bowe as they both have the big frame and natural strength to beat the jam. Both went to LSU and Bowe has been one of the few bright spots coming out of the 2007 NFL Draft.

As for Benn, I have watched a ton of film on his past junior season and some games he simply gave up on balls and routes. He was a good player when he wants to be, but even when the balls got their he has some of the worst hands you will EVER see. Does anybody want a kid like this? You can blame his poor QB's all you want the balls got to him and he simply dropped them. Not a fan at all.

BTW: You guys ready for the WR drills tommoro or what!?!

RavenMadness
02-27-2010, 08:06 PM
What do you guys think of my three round mock draft? Rounds 4-7 Coming Soon!

25th overall, 1st Round- Kyle Wilson CB Boise State- Such great instincts and smart guy. Was by far the best CB during the senior bowl. He was doing so well closing in and reading the flat footed quarterbacks. Such good cover skills. And we all know how much we have missed CMAC.

57th overall, 2nd Round- Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinatti- Love his explosive play making ability. He's raw coming out of that spread system that's beneficial towards speedy lean guys. But, Gilyard is an exception as he has the speed to get vertical and is a guy we will all love. I think he's a special player.

89th overall, 3rd round- Tyson Alualu DE Cal- A steal at the end of round three. A natural 5 technique defensive end for the Bears as he played as a 3-4 end there.

ChefMike
02-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Looks like Benn is choking at the combine he ran a 4.48 and seemed to run poor routes and drop passes, why would we want him at #25??

coordinator0
02-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Looks like Benn is choking at the combine he ran a 4.48 and seemed to run poor routes and drop passes, why would we want him at #25??

Because the combine isn't a great indicator of talent?

Hines
02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/99YXtr4teGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/99YXtr4teGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That last highlight is just unfair.

RavenMadness
02-28-2010, 02:29 PM
^^^^^^
Overrated.

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Let's not forget that he had awful QB play and 2 different offenses in college but he still produced. How is he overrated?

and was anyone shocked when Golden Tate ran a 4.3 ?

RavenMadness
02-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Let's not forget that he had awful QB play and 2 different offenses in college but he still produced. How is he overrated?

and was anyone shocked when Golden Tate ran a 4.3 ?

Actually, the official time was 4.42? But yet, I was shocked when he ran that fast. He didn't show that speed in college, but he has it. I'm most certainly going to go back and watch some more film of him.

As for Benn I simply don't like the guy. He dissapeared some games and in other games looked unstoppable. You can blame the poor QB play all you want, but I have watched a ton of film on the guy and he dropped so many passes that would have helped his QB rather then make them work worse then they really were.

My top 5 WR's.
1. Dez Bryant
2. Brandon Lafell
3. MardyGilyard
4. Damien Williams
5. Jordan Shipley

Tate could enter once I dwelve into some more film. Huge draft "guru" here.

ChefMike
03-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Because the combine isn't a great indicator of talent?

Granted the combine isn't the true indicator of how he is going to play in games but his play in games was no better than an average WR.

I would like to see though that he step up in these type of situations so it doesn't put doubt in your mind.

Workout warriors are good for the combine but not for games, but when he can't track down a fly pattern lob pass from an average college passer how can I expect him to beat a CB in Man coverage then catch a pass from Flacco who is arguably one of the best deep ball throwers?

ChefMike
03-01-2010, 07:54 AM
As for Golden Tate, I see him panning out like a Lav Coles at best...

Hines
03-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Granted the combine isn't the true indicator of how he is going to play in games but his play in games was no better than an average WR.

I would like to see though that he step up in these type of situations so it doesn't put doubt in your mind.

Workout warriors are good for the combine but not for games, but when he can't track down a fly pattern lob pass from an average college passer how can I expect him to beat a CB in Man coverage then catch a pass from Flacco who is arguably one of the best deep ball throwers?

The combine QBs are horrid. They either overthrew receivers or underthrew them. Benn would be a beast in your system.

ChefMike
03-01-2010, 08:05 AM
The combine QBs are horrid. They either overthrew receivers or underthrew them. Benn would be a beast in your system.

I don't see a guy like him being a beast in our system, His routes aren't polished but his in game speed is above average which is a bonus. Would just rather see someone like a TO or a Marshall or Boldin come in to complement Mason and Stallworth while the rookie grooms under them for a season rather then a rookie be the goto guy. Do you think that Holmes would be as good as he is without Ward there?

Hines
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
TO would be good as well. I don't see the Ravens giving up the pieces to land Marshall. I think Q is attainable as well.

Yes I do believe Holmes will be as good. He's already the number 1 reciever and get's the most attention of number 1 corners in the league. He really came on in the 2008 playoffs and last season.

coordinator0
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question or the answer, but I think ChefMike was asking do you think that Holmes would be as good as he is now without Ward being there to groom him in the past.

Hines
03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I answered the question with my first sentence. Yes I do believe so.

coordinator0
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Okay, I thought that's what you meant lol. I would agree with you as well, if a player is good he's going to be good with or without veterans helping him along (which I think is vastly overrated).

Hines
03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Holmes has benefited a lot with Hines' help, but I think he would've been good nonetheless.

ChefMike
03-02-2010, 06:13 AM
Its not about the mentoring part its about the taking the pressure off role. You don't think that Randy Moss benefited by having Cris Carter his rookie year? Or Jerry Rice from having Dwight Clark?

Don't take it as they are really teaching but more of a allowing them to learn at their pace and not having to drink water from a fire hose to be the #1 guy.