PDA

View Full Version : MCClain = Maualuga

RWills
02-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Here is a shocker

Alabama ILB Rolando McClain is reportedly not even in the top 32 on some teams' draft boards.

McClain's speed and agility testing will be key because it's believed he may not run better than 4.7 in the forty. 4-3 teams want middle linebackers to have sideline-to-sideline range. McClain may be billed strictly as a 3-4 inside 'backer if he doesn't excel in movement drills over the weekend.

per rotoworld

OneToughGame
02-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Tatupu ran a 4.8 at the combine right? I don't see why mcclain running in the 4.7's should hurt him.

Scott Wright
02-27-2010, 06:13 AM
McClain is faster than Maualuga with much better intangibles.

Bengals78
02-27-2010, 06:30 AM

Agree.
And even it was an exact comparison, its not a bad thing.

LizardState
02-27-2010, 06:35 AM
That's so much crap.

McClain will be the 1st LB drafted, may not make it out of the top 10, more likely top 5.

Source: Any mock drafts by anyone who watched McClain last yr.

Grizzlegom
02-27-2010, 07:59 AM
i've been on the McClain is going to fall further than people think bandwagon but at this point i cant see him falling past 15.

EvilNixon
02-27-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't know why you would pay a 3-4 ILB, or a 4-3 MLB that kind of money, when you can get more or less the same prospect(Brandon SPikes) in the late first or second. Unless the LB is an elite,once every 10 year type of guy, I would trade down to get him.

Hines
02-27-2010, 08:09 AM
That's ok. He can fall all the way to 18 and the Steelers will snatch him up and he'll be another long time starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

PossibleCabbage
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
It's really no surprise to me that McClain doesn't have a first round grade from some teams. All of this stuff is really scheme specific. I mean, McClain was a great player in college, with great intangibles, and he should do well if he lands in the right spot in the NFL; but at the same time if you run a Tampa 2 style defense, where are you going to put him? Plus, he plays in a position with relatively low position value.

Anyway, I'm betting this isn't so much news, since excepting the very elite prospects, most first round guys probably don't have a top 32 grade from somebody.

eagles6606
02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Here is a shocker

Alabama ILB Rolando McClain is reportedly not even in the top 32 on some teams' draft boards.

McClain's speed and agility testing will be key because it's believed he may not run better than 4.7 in the forty. 4-3 teams want middle linebackers to have sideline-to-sideline range. McClain may be billed strictly as a 3-4 inside 'backer if he doesn't excel in movement drills over the weekend.

per rotoworld

When I watched Mcclain, I thought he had great sideline-to-sideline range. Look back at that Florida game and watch Mcclain tackle a trackstar on the sideline. This guy is going to be a stud in the NFL and won't drop out of the top 10.

vidae
02-27-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't know why you would pay a 3-4 ILB, or a 4-3 MLB that kind of money, when you can get more or less the same prospect(Brandon SPikes) in the late first or second. Unless the LB is an elite,once every 10 year type of guy, I would trade down to get him.

Less, in my opinion, and it's not close.

Mr.Regular
02-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Wrong thread oops

Todd Bertuzzi
02-27-2010, 10:33 AM
If we're talking about falling in the draft, I think Spikes could suffer the same fate as Maualuga.

DoWnThEfiElD
02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
It's really no surprise to me that McClain doesn't have a first round grade from some teams. All of this stuff is really scheme specific. I mean, McClain was a great player in college, with great intangibles, and he should do well if he lands in the right spot in the NFL; but at the same time if you run a Tampa 2 style defense, where are you going to put him? Plus, he plays in a position with relatively low position value.

Anyway, I'm betting this isn't so much news, since excepting the very elite prospects, most first round guys probably don't have a top 32 grade from somebody.

I actually think he could play a Tampa 2 MLB. To me he has the size and speed.

BigBanger
02-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I would be shocked if he looks agile in drills and runs a good 40. 4.8 are my expectations.

Morton
02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Somebody is going to get a hell of a deal if Rolando McClain slides.

I see him as another Stewart Bradley - a big MLB with elite intangibles and football IQ who may not have elite measurables. He makes up for what he lacks in speed with his ability to diagnose plays and take control of the defensive line with his leadership abilities.

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2010, 11:13 AM
McClain's game film alone will get him drafted no later than pick 15.

The Giants WILL NOT let him slide out of the first round. Physically, he's their traditional prototype for the LB position.

If he can break a 4.8 at the combine or Alabama's pro day, he's an automatic for the top 15.

Texas Homer
02-27-2010, 11:18 AM

I'm not sure that I could have said it any better.....and I like Maualuga too.

Babylon
02-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Tatupu ran a 4.8 at the combine right? I don't see why mcclain running in the 4.7's should hurt him.

I think you have you're Samoan/USC linebackers mixed up.

On a sidenote Lofa's dad Mosi died the other day. Was a season ticket holder for the Pats when he first got to New England, class act.

wonderbredd24
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Hmmm... I didn't realize McClain got into a brawl with several cops screaming, "USC owns the police!"

OneToughGame
02-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I think you have you're Samoan/USC linebackers mixed up.

On a sidenote Lofa's dad Mosi died the other day. Was a season ticket holder for the Pats when he first got to New England, class act.

Nope, Tatupu ran a 4.83. Yeah, I heard about his father passing... Very sad.

Splat
02-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Who are these teams and what are they smoking?

yourfavestoner
02-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Yup, I've been saying that all along.

Throw in some tape of Spikes junior year and you'll see an absolute ******* beast. Run stuffer, flying around in pass coverage making picks and running them back for touchdowns, beasting it as a DE on passing downs, and leading a great defense to a National Championship.

Wanna watch some real beasting? Throw in the UF-Bama game from two years ago and watch him throw Andre Smith around like a ****** rag doll.

He played his senior year injured and poked some kid in the eye and now he's freefalling.

I've been saying it all along: McClain is the flavor of the week underclassman linebacker for this year. He is essentially in the same position Spikes was in last year. Had he come back for his senior year, everybody would pick him apart and he'd end up settling as a late first-early second guy.

They're essentially the same player. Except Spikes is a bigger playmaker.

TornadoRex
02-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I actually think he could play a Tampa 2 MLB. To me he has the size and speed.

Never going to happen.

McClain will never be covering slot receivers and tight ends 30 yards downfield. He's a downfield thumper all the way.

Cicero
02-27-2010, 08:16 PM

And better in coverage.

V.I.P
02-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Never going to happen.

McClain will never be covering slot receivers and tight ends 30 yards downfield. He's a downfield thumper all the way.

This......

BaLLiN
02-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Yup, I've been saying that all along.

Throw in some tape of Spikes junior year and you'll see an absolute ******* beast. Run stuffer, flying around in pass coverage making picks and running them back for touchdowns, beasting it as a DE on passing downs, and leading a great defense to a National Championship.

Wanna watch some real beasting? Throw in the UF-Bama game from two years ago and watch him throw Andre Smith around like a ****** rag doll.

He played his senior year injured and poked some kid in the eye and now he's freefalling.

I've been saying it all along: McClain is the flavor of the week underclassman linebacker for this year. He is essentially in the same position Spikes was in last year. Had he come back for his senior year, everybody would pick him apart and he'd end up settling as a late first-early second guy.

They're essentially the same player. Except Spikes is a bigger playmaker.

i cant rep you again yet, but i agree with this almost completely. In fact BBD has been saying the same thing for awhile too. Ive personally preferred taking Spikes in the second despite the fact his speed and lateral quickness man not be on par with McClain, he just seems more fluid of an athlete and arguably a better run stuffer.

"Oh McClain can put players into a spot", well Spikes came from a complex defense, and even though Urban Meyer allowed Spikes to play freely and vibe off of the quarterback, he is fully capable in the future to do the same.

PossibleCabbage
02-27-2010, 10:27 PM
This......

To be honest, I'd play Taylor Mays as a MLB in the Tampa 2 before I'd play McClain. Mays seems to be much closer to the prototype.

At the same time, if I'm a 3-4 team looking for a Ted (or a Buck, or whatever you want to call the non-Mike MLB), you can't do a whole lot better.

Da Big Harv
02-28-2010, 03:35 AM
you guys realize that like 2 teams in the entire NFL play the Tampa-2 now right

LizardState
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
McClain got 8 sacks in a 3-yr. career, unheard of for a ILB/MLB, + a whopping 274 total tackles & 31.5 TFLs.

Like I keep saying he gets his hands on a lot of balls (14 PBUs + 5 INTs) & owns the middle of the field.

Biggest intangible is calling all the defensive signals on the field & that's a big + to the scouts, reminds the pundits of DeMeco Ryans who played that defensive team captain spot 3-4 yrs. at Bama, Ryans was Defensive RotYr. taken with the 33rd overall pick by the Texans -- McClain is a younger, bigger (255-260 lbs) version of Ryans, this very good defender vs. the run has Impact Rookie written all over him.

I'd be flabbergasted if he gets past KC @ #5. If he "falls" to the Raiders at #8 he would be a godsend as they are allegedly unhappy with Kirk Morrison who almost lost his job in camp last season.

PossibleCabbage
02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
you guys realize that like 2 teams in the entire NFL play the Tampa-2 now right

The Rotoworld post cited in the OP said "Alabama ILB Rolando McClain is reportedly not even in the top 32 on some teams' draft boards." 2 of 32 teams is "some."

D-Unit
02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
This is such AWESOME news!!! I believe it! McClain to Dallas. Lock it up.

Morton
02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
This is such AWESOME news!!! I believe it! McClain to Dallas. Lock it up.

The Cowboys need to draft OT/OG in the first round this year or it will be a bad draft for them.

villagewarrior
03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
I thought Maualuga played very well for the Bengals until he broke his ankle against the Chiefs. He seemed to drop based on his measurables, and his on-field performance was ignored.

If I were the Chiefs I would take McClain at 5. He looked like a better player at Alabama than Maualuga did at USC.

rainbeaukid2
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Hmmm... I didn't realize McClain got into a brawl with several cops screaming, "USC owns the police!"

we actually do have our own police force and pay the LAPD to send extra patrols, so Rey wasn't even wrong there, he was just stating the facts

wogitalia
03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Spikes = Maualuga.

If McClain had come back for his senior year he could have been the Lauriniatis to go along. Basically all 4 are the same pro prospect with varying intangibles. None of them have elite speed all have fantastic awareness and the ability to make plays, all are very different prospects but at the same time very similar in the way that they will/have taken knocks for their speed and whilst they are in the top few prospects in their drafts they will fall because they aren't elite in timed speed and because their position has become less valuable at least from a draft perspective anyway.

Morton
03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I bet Sean Weatherspoon has a better career than this guy.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Why didn't McClain run his 40??

Oh,that's right, because he would have struggled to break 4.8 seconds, hardly jaw-dropping speed for a top 15 ILB.

You know if McClain truly had the wheels, he would have run today, no question.

That BS from his agent that he's recovering from a bad hammy is just that, BS.

Cicero
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Why didn't McClain run his 40??

Oh,that's right, because he would have struggled to break 4.8 seconds, hardly jaw-dropping speed for a top 15 ILB.

You know if McClain truly had the wheels, he would have run today, no question.

That BS from his agent that he's recovering from a bad hammy is just that, BS.

Ya. What a strange coincidence Spikes and McClain both didn't run the 40...

RWills
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I bet Sean Weatherspoon has a better career than this guy.

I have a feeling that Weatherspoon doesnt get past the Giants after that combine

GhostDeini
03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I've liked Weatherspoon since his sophmore year. Reminds me of Jon Beason a little.

He could eventually end up at MLB.

villagewarrior
03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Spikes = Maualuga.

If McClain had come back for his senior year he could have been the Lauriniatis to go along. Basically all 4 are the same pro prospect with varying intangibles. None of them have elite speed all have fantastic awareness and the ability to make plays, all are very different prospects but at the same time very similar in the way that they will/have taken knocks for their speed and whilst they are in the top few prospects in their drafts they will fall because they aren't elite in timed speed and because their position has become less valuable at least from a draft perspective anyway.

How are they the same prospect but different prospects at the same time?

yourfavestoner
03-02-2010, 02:05 PM
How are they the same prospect but different prospects at the same time?

okl
He's saying they're not identical as prospects, but they have similarities. What makes them identical is the situation they're in and how they're being regarded as prospects.

Right now, McClain isn't being subject to that because he's the "flavor of the week" junior linebacker. If he were to come back for his senior year, next year everybody would be down on him for his lack of elite measurables and would be hoisting some other underclassman linebacker on a pedastal. It happens every year.

nepg
03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Never going to happen.

He does this at Alabama...