PDA

View Full Version : Any Way Raiders Don't Draft Bruce Campbell?

DeathbyStat
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Any way Raiders don't draft Bruce Campbell?

PossibleCabbage
02-28-2010, 12:10 PM
If Taylor Mays runs like a 4.14 40? It's an old joke, Mr. Davis does seem overfond of drafting DBs.

02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll hold my judgment until JPP works out tomorrow. If he runs a low 4.5 time, then it's completely up in the air. What Campbell does have working for him, is that he is the much greater need for this team.

MikeTeel
02-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I hope Al switches it up so he doesn't become too obvious. I mean, it wouldn't be a bad pick, it would be a slight reach but it wouldn't be bad, like last years pick of DHB. The good thing this year for the Raiders is that the two biggest athletic freaks at positions of need also coincide with where they're picking. JPP or Bruce Campbell imo.

FrankGore
02-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I called it before the combine and it doesn't seem any less likely after yesterday. The Raiders haven't given us any reason to believe they've grown up from picking the best track athletes for the most part and Campbell is certainly on another level for his position.

Mike Lombardi thinks they're taking him too and he has all kinds of taps into the Raiders organization. I'll give it an 80% chance pending the rest of the workouts.

Morton
02-28-2010, 12:21 PM
It's either Campbell, Pierre-Paul, or Taylor Mays.

Those are the three options for the Raiders in the first round. No way anyone else gets picked.

Grizzlegom
02-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I'll hold my judgment until JPP works out tomorrow. If he runs a low 4.5 time, then it's completely up in the air. What Campbell does have working for him, is that he is the much greater need for this team.

This. If JPP does what Campbell did, he's the pick if available.

RaiderNation
02-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I think its come down to Campbell, JPP and possibly Bulaga

cajuncorey
02-28-2010, 12:46 PM
when carlos dunlap runs a 4.5 lol

Canadian_draft_fan
02-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Exactly. JPP is the only other player that will be on Senile Al's radar.

Go Canada, GO!!

_YL_
02-28-2010, 12:54 PM
People are still going on with the whole Taylor Mays thing lol

I really don't see JPP running anything close to a 4.5

SwagU
02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Well I agree with the rest of you and it comes down to Campbell and JPP. Campbell I feel is ahead of JPP because Campbell just showed he is a complete freak and the total workout package, plus his position is of more need for this team then that of DE as mentioned before. Do not count JPP out of the running so early, I can see him also putting up some good numbers at this combine. I can see JPP running a 4.65 or 4.70 and he will be the fastest DE. This pick I think by draft day will be very close. It's looking like a battle of the fastest at their position, which is just classic Al.

DeathbyStat
02-28-2010, 01:44 PM
It's either Campbell, Pierre-Paul, or Taylor Mays.

Those are the three options for the Raiders in the first round. No way anyone else gets picked.

Maybe Joe haden if he runs well

V.I.P
02-28-2010, 02:13 PM
With the 8th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Oakland Raiders select Jacoby Ford.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I think that Campbell is a strong option, but not necesarrily stronger than Pierre-Paul or Haden or Berry.

Oaktown1981
02-28-2010, 04:02 PM
JPP, Campbell, Haden

One of them IMO will probably be a Raider

twizbuck
02-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Seeing as how he fills a bigger need than JPP and Mays, I really think he'll go with Campbell right now.

RealityCheck
02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
If he's taken by Seattle at #6.

Nard_Dog
02-28-2010, 04:08 PM
If he's available I would be shocked if they passed on him. He's fits everything. Great physical specimen. Check. Great Athleticism. Check. He might as well start looking for houses in California

Paranoidmoonduck
02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
The thing is, no one really knows how Oakland feels about their tackle situation. Personally, I'd love to see someone come in and replace Henderson, but the coaching staff seemed largely happy with his play in 2009. Does Oakland draft a RT to finally replace Cornell Green with that #8 pick? Probably not, and if they do, I would imagine they'd take more of a road-grader like Davis or even Williams.

I think that Oakland likely views CB and DL as being greater needs at this point, so it just depends on how much they take to a guy like Pierre-Paul or Haden/Berry (whichever one Cleveland passes on). I'd like to believe that Dez Bryant would be a possibility, but it seems unlikely.

EvilNixon
02-28-2010, 04:43 PM
I could definitely see us go Joe Haden, and I would like it.

DeepThreat
02-28-2010, 04:45 PM
It will come down to JPP, Haden, Campbell, Mays, or Eric Berry. I'm thinking JPP at this point.

keylime_5
02-28-2010, 05:29 PM
I have a gut feeling that they won't make an epic reach for a guy like Campbell this year. Last year they did with Heyward-Bey, but he's a WR, Campbell is a tackle and he has a lot more holes in his game than the other 4 OTs who are better than him that are good enough to be top ten picks. I won't be the least bit surprised (in fact I kind of expect it to some degree) if Oakland takes Campbell, but gut feeling says that they take Bulaga, Davis, Williams, Pierre Paul, or a DB over Campbell.

PossibleCabbage
02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I have a gut feeling that they won't make an epic reach for a guy like Campbell this year. Last year they did with Heyward-Bey, but he's a WR, Campbell is a tackle and he has a lot more holes in his game than the other 4 OTs who are better than him that are good enough to be top ten picks. I won't be the least bit surprised (in fact I kind of expect it to some degree) if Oakland takes Campbell, but gut feeling says that they take Bulaga, Davis, Williams, Pierre Paul, or a DB over Campbell.

That being said, DHB was 254th in the NFL last season for receptions with 9 (for 124 yards). Sure, he landed in a one of the worst QB situations in the NFL, but he failed to make a number of plays that Percy Harvin, Austin Collie, Michael Crabtree, Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Johnny Knox, Mike Wallace, Louis Murphy, or Brian Hartline would have made.

Hell, sure the QB situation in Oakland is bad, but when you're a top 10 pick, the first player picked at your position, and you get completely outplayed by a fourth round pick who plays your same position on your own team (Louis Murphy), something has gone very wrong.

Never bet against the Raiders to do something inexplicable.

bitonti
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
The thing is, no one really knows how Oakland feels about their tackle situation. Personally, I'd love to see someone come in and replace Henderson, but the coaching staff seemed largely happy with his play in 2009

this sounds accurate... Al Davis got burned bad taking Robert Gallery and I dont think he's willing to gamble on OT again... not to mention bruce campbell has played like a 4th round and only started 17 games at Maryland. and even the games he played were spotty... He got beat like a drum against Middle Tennessee State, not exactly a top program.

_YL_
03-01-2010, 01:33 AM
this sounds accurate... Al Davis got burned bad taking Robert Gallery and I dont think he's willing to gamble on OT again... not to mention bruce campbell has played like a 4th round and only started 17 games at Maryland. and even the games he played were spotty... He got beat like a drum against Middle Tennessee State, not exactly a top program.

Al Davis has been burned by a lot of horrible draft picks doesn't mean he won't take another player at that position

took Doug Jolly in 02 and failed and took Zach Miller in 07

took Derrick Gibson in 01 and failed and took Michael Huff in 06

Yes he loves to reach for players but 99 percent of the time its a player that feels a need even tho 99 percent of the time its the wrong player.And anybody will tell you OT is oaklands number 1 need.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-01-2010, 01:37 AM
And anybody will tell you OT is oaklands number 1 need.

Except perhaps Al Davis and Tom Cable...

TACKLE
03-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Except perhaps Al Davis and Tom Cable...

I think last year they felt that Mario Henderson might really progress and have a break through year. But then Brian Orakpo came along and completely and utterly destroyed that notion.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-01-2010, 02:16 AM
I think last year they felt that Mario Henderson might really progress and have a break through year. But then Brian Orakpo came along and completely and utterly destroyed that notion.

Right, because that had nothing to do with JaMarcus Russell holding onto the ball for-*******-ever.

I'm not going to suggest that Oakland can't do better than Henderson. But I'm far from sold that the coaching staff or front office feels that Henderson is a lost cause.

LickaMahfeetz
03-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Right, because that had nothing to do with JaMarcus Russell holding onto the ball for-*******-ever.

I'm not going to suggest that Oakland can't do better than Henderson. But I'm far from sold that the coaching staff or front office feels that Henderson is a lost cause.
Meanwhile Russell might be.

GoRavens
03-01-2010, 05:31 AM
We all know the Raiders love workout warriors, and I myself think Bruce Campbell would be the ideal pick. But what about Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma? He ran a 4.88 40 (still very very fast for a tackle), had the highest vertical out of any lineman, and was way more of a consistent player in college than Campbell.
Raiders select Trent Williams? What do you think?

bitonti
03-01-2010, 08:29 AM
this is one of those situations where everyone believes the Raiders take a tackle when the Raiders have shown no indications they are looking at tackles. They might need a defensive end worse.

RaidersInYoFace
03-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Russell was personally responsible for half the sacks- you look at Gradkowski vs Russells sacks and they threw about the same and Gradkowski was only sack half as much as Russell - with the same OL - actually - Grad had fewer sacks when their best OL Gallery went out for the year

Thats telling

As was mentioned- the coaches are very pleased with Hendersons play- and rightfully so- he rarely gets beat inside and does a nice job kicking his guy far outside- The problem was clear-

Russell hanging onto the ball longer than he should be- which is no secret that he cant read defenses and gets confused under pressure

The Raiders have 3 3rd rd picks and most likley will address the RG and RT position then

I actually see them taking Derrick Morgan or Haden if he's there - They will go defense at #8

And dont be surprised to see Oakland select Toby Gerhart early in rd 2 as Michael Bush is being shopped and several teams have inquired about Bush

FlyingElvis
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't think Al is that far gone, but we'll see soon enough.

EvilNixon
03-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Henderson was being completely owned by speed rushers and bull rushers alike.

EvilNixon
03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
And dont be surprised to see Oakland select Toby Gerhart early in rd 2 as Michael Bush is being shopped and several teams have inquired about Bush

Why? Bush is bigger, faster in game from what I've seen, and he's produced relatively well.

bitonti
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Henderson was being completely owned by speed rushers and bull rushers alike.

Bruce Campbell wasn't exactly good on film either. unless it's Okung or Bulaga, The DE are a better value than the offensive tackles in the top 10.

RaidersInYoFace
03-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Why? Bush is bigger, faster in game from what I've seen, and he's produced relatively well.

Look for Bush to get traded- He's been singled out by the coaching staff that he half asses it - He also spoke out with is displeasure of playing FB and that rubbed the coaches the wrong way

Fargas is getting old and cant seem to get through 16 games and McFadden cant handle 25 carries a game-

Gerhardt and McFadden would be a very nice combo

03-01-2010, 10:01 AM

'tis true.

Speaking of the Raiders, they’re shopping every player on the team except tight end Zach Miller and anyone who would be impossible to trade because of their contracts. Running back Michael Bush is the name I hear generating interest.

Source: Michael Lombardi, National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-8008.html)

Supporting Caste
03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Al Davis, conscious and regretful of his public image as a madman obsessed with workout numbers rather than on-the-field performance and character, takes Tim Tebow in the 1st round.

Bald_81
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I think its come down to Campbell, JPP and possibly Bulaga

I'm pretty sure Al Davis still has a sour taste in his mouth with regards to OTs from Iowa.

keylime_5
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Al Davis still has a sour taste in his mouth with regards to OTs from Iowa.

then you think he would figure out that the best football player isn't always the best freak athlete.

PossibleCabbage
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM

The sour taste probably has to be reduced by the fact that Gallery is probably his best offensive lineman right now. He's not an LT or a RT, but he's a darn good LG. Gallery may be a bust because he couldn't play the position he was drafted to play, but he's contributed a lot more to his team than other notable busts who couldn't play in the NFL at all.

That being said, though, Bulaga is a better athlete than Gallery. Gallery was a powerhouse and a technician, but his feet were questionable and that's why he couldn't make it in the NFL as a T. Bulaga has significantly better feet, even though he's not nearly as powerful or as solid technically.

Bald_81
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I was merely highlighting how little things like that (no matter how good of a prospect Bulaga might be) would cloud Al's judgment. It's exactly why he has a propensity for taking workout warriors and would let examples like Robert Gallery prevent him from taking Bulaga.

wogitalia
03-01-2010, 09:48 PM
It's exactly why he has a propensity for taking workout warriors and would let examples like Robert Gallery prevent him from taking Bulaga.

I think Al is a risk taker, he is willing to take the lumps for the chance to prove every one wrong. I don't see him so much as taking workout warriors as it is him taking prospects with the absolute most upside. He seems to overvalue athletic ability and how much it means to this but it's his way of doing things.

He takes that view in all rounds, I personally start looking to potential from the 4th round on as the key attribute. I figure if you are picking in the 4th, you look for a guy who may give you nothing now but has the potential to in the future be a starter. Why take a backup now who will always be a backup(I understand the depth theory, just don't agree with it).

Oaktown1981
03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah they could draft JPP or Joe Haden instead.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Personally, I'm far from sold that Pierre-Paul will be the top defensive end on Oakland's board. If they really are going after a defensive end with the idea of playing Seymour inside more, I'd anticipate that they're going to look at strength pretty hard. I'm not sure that guys like Graham or Everson (especially the latter) wouldn't grade higher.

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 02:07 AM
Personally, I'm far from sold that Pierre-Paul will be the top defensive end on Oakland's board. If they really are going after a defensive end with the idea of playing Seymour inside more, I'd anticipate that they're going to look at strength pretty hard. I'm not sure that guys like Graham or Everson (especially the latter) wouldn't grade higher.

As much as I love Graham, I would be very surprised if the Raiders took him at #8. That being said, I think Everson is a legitimate option for the Raiders and have a feeling he may be fairly high up on their board. I agree that it wouldn't surprise me if Everson ends up being higher ranked on their board.

Saints-Tigers
03-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Isn't it ironic that the supposedly the best and safest pick Al Davis could have ever made (Gallery) busted?

Paranoidmoonduck
03-02-2010, 02:28 AM
As much as I love Graham, I would be very surprised if the Raiders took him at #8. That being said, I think Everson is a legitimate option for the Raiders and have a feeling he may be fairly high up on their board. I agree that it wouldn't surprise me if Everson ends up being higher ranked on their board.

As I indicated, I think the chance that Griffen rates higher is better than the chance that Graham rates higher, but looking at the three player's measurements, I wouldn't discount the idea.

Jason Pierre-Paul - 6'5" / 270 / 4.64(u) / 19 reps
Everson Griffen - 6'3" / 273 / 4.66 / 32 reps
Brandon Graham - 6'1" / 268 / 4.72 / 31 reps

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 02:35 AM
As I indicated, I think the chance that Griffen rates higher is better than the chance that Graham rates higher, but looking at the three player's measurements, I wouldn't discount the idea.

Jason Pierre-Paul - 6'5" / 270 / 4.64(u) / 19 reps
Everson Griffen - 6'3" / 273 / 4.66 / 32 reps
Brandon Graham - 6'1" / 268 / 4.72 / 31 reps

I looked at the Raiders depth chart and they had Trevor Scott listed as a OLB. I could of sworn he was a DE. I remember him being one of the most productive rookie DE's when he came out.

Again, I think its unlikely that the Raiders take Graham. Not trying to make Al Davis jokes here but the organization definitely puts a premium on measurables when evaluating draft prospects. Graham's physical tools do not put him in the top 10. Though personally I feel his film puts him as one of the ten best players in the draft. Although I feel it is quite unlikely, I would still LOVE to see him in the silver and black.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-02-2010, 02:38 AM
I looked at the Raiders depth chart and they had Trevor Scott listed as a OLB. I could of sworn he was a DE. I remember him being one of the most productive rookie DE's when he came out.

He was a DE, but he got moved to linebacker and quite successfully played a sort of Elephant position down the stretch. He's likely made the position change permanently considering the state of Oakland's linebacking corps.

As for Graham, I don't feel his measurables are that far behind Griffen's, even though Griffen seems like an easier projection for Oakland. Either way, I think Pierre-Paul could wind up being 3rd on Oakland's list of DE's.

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 02:42 AM
He was a DE, but he got moved to linebacker and quite successfully played a sort of Elephant position down the stretch. He's likely made the position change permanently considering the state of Oakland's linebacking corps.

And considering the state of Oakland's LB corps, would Rolando McClain be a realistic option. I know a lot of Raider fans are really down on Morrison though it seems unlikely that his play has been bad enough to warrant taking a replacement. Though Rolando is a guy who can be a rock in the middle of a defense, a defense that has struggled for years to stop the run.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-02-2010, 02:45 AM
Simple put, at #8, McClain is no kind of option. At best, I think he winds up going #15 to the Giants, but it would take something really amazing for Al Davis to go linebacker in the first. McClain falls short of that mark.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the Raiders drafting a replacement for Howard in the 2nd or 3rd round though.

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Simple put, at #8, McClain is no kind of option. At best, I think he winds up going #15 to the Giants, but it would take something really amazing for Al Davis to go linebacker in the first. McClain falls short of that mark.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the Raiders drafting a replacement for Howard in the 2nd or 3rd round though.

Other than McCoy and Suh, who would you think would be the #1 player on the Raiders draft board.

Poz51
03-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Considering the insight Joe Montana's career had in the prediciton of the stellar NFL career Rick Mirer had, one can see Al's logical thinking processes are still sharp as ever, if this is a tought of his....
My question is any chance the dont pick in the top 20 for the next decade??

FlyingElvis
03-02-2010, 01:15 PM

McClain's refusal to participate in any drills yesterday should pretty much guarantee he won't end up a Raider.

diesel
03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
McClain's refusal to participate in any drills yesterday should pretty much guarantee he won't end up a Raider.

Seems worth it to me.

FlyingElvis
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Seems worth it to me.

lol. Maybe Mclain is smarter than the rest of the top 10-12 propects.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-02-2010, 02:02 PM

It was decided long before that. If I recall, Davis has drafted two first round linebacker in 45 years. Besides, even though the team could upgrade from Morrison, I think the organization is pretty comfortable with him for the time being.

Other than McCoy and Suh, who would you think would be the #1 player on the Raiders draft board.

Interesting question. Honestly, I don't know what position the Raiders feel needs addressing given the talent that could be there. They need a cornerback to replace Chris Johnson opposite Asomugha, they either need an DT to replace Kelly, or if they intend on playing Seymour more inside they need a DE. They could also use an offensive tackle whether they intend on replacing Henderson or not, but probably wouldn't go in that direction if they felt they were only drafting a RT.

For cornerback, Haden is of course a possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they took Eric Berry should he slip by Cleveland with the intention of having the option of either playing him at FS or having him change to a cornerback. It would be a very Al Davis move. For defensive line, I think you have to look at the trio of Pierre-Paul/Griffen/Graham at defensive end and Price/Williams at DT. I think Griffen or Pierre-Paul are the most likely at DE, while Price is a realistic possibility at DT. As for Offensive Tackle, who knows who'll even be there to pick? I'm anticipating that we could very well see three straight tackles go from picks 4-6, probably leaving the Raiders with a choice between Trent Williams and Bruce Campbell. I think they could very well draft either, but I think they wind up going defense.

J-Mike88
04-28-2013, 10:15 PM
This guy's name just came up in a discussion I had with somebody about "talented but raw" offensive line prospects.

This guy looked like Tarzan on steroids.

What the hell has happened to him in 3 years?
Raider nation???

SolidGold
04-28-2013, 10:18 PM
try google?

BigBanger
04-29-2013, 05:16 AM
I don't know what Campbell is doing or if he's even in the NFL, but when they drafted Menelik Watson in round 2 I thought, "That's such a cliched Raiders pick I wouldn't believe it if it were in a Mock Draft."

I don't know why NFL teams insist on drafting projects (Watson and Campbell were major projects) along the offensive line so high in the draft (Capmbell fell further than expected and was considered 'good value'... whatever that means the day after the draft).

I understand Watson has a lot of potential, but he has no actualy ability right now. He looks like a 6th round project on tape. But people are talking about him playing LT when he hasn't even shown the ability to play RT. He's a wasted 2nd round pick. Bruce Campbell was similar to Watson. Just bigger with more experience (and tape that was worse than a guy who just started playing football and has no idea what he's doing).

Abaddon
04-29-2013, 06:21 AM
This guy's name just came up in a discussion I had with somebody about "talented but raw" offensive line prospects.

This guy looked like Tarzan on steroids.

What the hell has happened to him in 3 years?
Raider nation???

Brain damage from a car falling on his head is my guess.

Don Vito
04-29-2013, 06:43 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltw9xfJCHs1qafrh6.gif (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=lol+gif&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=2J7UNL2DY_jT0M&tbnid=EeB347Uuw6cRiM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthelolgifs.tumblr.com%2F&ei=zlx-UdfDEse-2wW4noDoDQ&bvm=bv.45645796,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNGpRAxnxTmEJXVZvp1NBUfEjW0tAg&ust=1367322184344485)