PDA

View Full Version : Truth or Hype: Bradford going first overall?

Biscuit
02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Hype.

Player agent Jack Bechta wrote in National Football Post this week the following:

2) Competition among the highest profile reporters leads to them report virtually everything they hear. Agents notoriously use well-known sports writers to create activity and attention for their draft picks and free agents. Only believe about half what you hear on TV or read during the combine.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Behind-the-scenes-at-the-NFL-combine.html

So as a player agent Bechta admits, agents manipulate reporters in order to create hype for their clients.

This week Adam Schefter, a well known sports writer for ESPN, said the following on St. Louis sports radio.

ESPN's Adam Schefter told a St. Louis radio station he is "willing to take all bets" on his prediction that the Rams will select Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick.

Schefter admits that he has not spoken to the Rams about the issue, but he insists he doesn't need to because he's "heard enough other things" from people around the league that he considers it a lock. Schefter also "promises" that Bradford is a top-5 player in this draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=168193

So Schefter admits he hasn't talked with the Rams, makes a bold statement yet is still willing to qualify it later where he "promises" that Bradford is a Top-5 pick. So which is it Adam, is Bradford going first overall as you are "willing to take all bets" on it or is he a Top-5 pick as you later "promise?"

What is interesting about Schefter is how he has a track record of being favorable and breaks news about players who are represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA). Sam Bradford is represented by CAA. Coincidently, Adam Schefter is represented by CAA too.

So Schefter wants listeners to believe, before the Combine and team doctors get to evaluate, that an underclassman QB, who hardly played his final collegiate year, who has serious questions about his surgically repaired throwing shoulder and arm strength is expected to go first overall in what is one of the most talented drafts in recent memory and receive a guaranteed contract in excess of $40+ million in front of an expiring CBA?

Sounds like Hype.

Yes, Schefter is privy to contract negotiations, so are we to believe that the Rams are already negotiating a contract with Sam Bradford given the above circumstances or as Adam Bechta states, "Agents notoriously use well-known sports writers to create activity and attention for their draft picks and free agents."

Next time Schefter breaks news about a player or free agent signee or draft pick check who they are represented by ... They are likely represented by CAA, just like Schefter.

vidae
02-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't buy any "locks" in February. He hasn't even thrown yet.

FrankGore
02-28-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd say that if he checks out medically and holds a good workout, I'd also put my money on him going #1. Would give the Rams a greater sense of direction and potentially stabilize what is the WORST position on the Rams' roster (yes, worse than their DTs). The BPA theory sorta goes out the window when it comes to QB-needy teams in the top 5. You have to make the pick based on what is best for your organization overall, and I think the Rams will most likely end up pulling the trigger on Bradford.

That could change if they trade for Vick, but I don't see that as a long-term solution at all (or any solution, really).

ThePudge
02-28-2010, 02:04 PM
It's not a lock. It is the most likely pick for the Rams at 1st Overall, if you need my explanation I made a thread about this selection that should be hanging around this page or the next.

Halsey
02-28-2010, 02:07 PM
The word 'hype' has nothing to do with rumors about what team will take which player. Signs seem quite clear the Rams are looking hard at taking a QB #1. Nothing is a lock 2 months before the Draft.

Biscuit
02-28-2010, 02:24 PM
The word 'hype' has nothing to do with rumors about what team will take which player.

Sure it does, especially when agents use members of the media to hype their players.

This rumor came out of nowhere.

It isn't a coincidence that both Adam Schefter and Sam Bradford are represented by the same sports agency.

ThePudge
02-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Sure it does, especially when agents use members of the media to hype their players.

This rumor came out of nowhere.

It isn't a coincidence that both Adam Schefter and Sam Bradford are represented by the same sports agency.

Maybe.... just maybe this is something that Schefter put a bit of thought into. I doubt he woke up in the morning and said Sam Bradford will be the #1 pick, let's report it to the world. There's thought/reports to defend this and everyone will be arguing it until draft day.

Sam Bradford is going to be a St. Louis Ram and I've been saying it before Schefter.

Biscuit
02-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Maybe.... just maybe this is something that Schefter put a bit of thought into. I doubt he woke up in the morning and said Sam Bradford will be the #1 pick, let's report it to the world. There's thought/reports to defend this and everyone will be arguing it until draft day.

Sam Bradford is going to be a St. Louis Ram and I've been saying it before Schefter.

Time will tell.

It's just amazing that before the Combine and team doctors get to evaluate, an underclassman QB, who hardly played his final collegiate year, who has serious questions about his surgically repaired throwing shoulder and arm strength is expected to go first overall in what is one of the most talented drafts in recent memory and receive a guaranteed contract in excess of $40+ million in front of an expiring CBA.

Mike Mayock in his recently released Top-20 has Bradford 8th, Scouts Inc. has him 9th and Scott has him 12th. 1st overall is a huge jump especially of the inherent premium given to QBs in rankings. Nothing will move up Bradford's rankings (before he throws) except for a change in public perception that is where Schefter plays a role, planting a bug in Rams fan ears, thanks to the close association they have because they share agency.

Bengalsrocket
02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
So Schefter admits he hasn't talked with the Rams, makes a bold statement yet is still willing to qualify it later where he "promises" that Bradford is a Top-5 pick. So which is it Adam, is Bradford going first overall as you are "willing to take all bets" on it or is he a Top-5 pick as you later "promise?"

Schefter said top-5 player, not top-5 pick.

Gmen1987
02-28-2010, 03:04 PM
If I were Detroit and Tampa, I would pump up Bradford covertly and put pressure on the Rams to take him. New owner, maybe a Danny Boy Snyder cloan, will want to go for a golden position.

ThePudge
02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Time will tell.

It's just amazing that before the Combine and team doctors get to evaluate, an underclassman QB, who hardly played his final collegiate year, who has serious questions about his surgically repaired throwing shoulder and arm strength is expected to go first overall in what is one of the most talented drafts in recent memory and receive a guaranteed contract in excess of $40+ million in front of an expiring CBA.

Mike Mayock in his recently released Top-20 has Bradford 8th, Scouts Inc. has him 9th and Scott has him 12th. 1st overall is a huge jump especially of the inherent premium given to QBs in rankings. Nothing will move up Bradford's rankings (before he throws) except for a change in public perception that is where Schefter plays a role, planting a bug in Rams fan ears, thanks to the close association they have because they share agency.

I can see why you take this stance. This is just a case of draft psychology which revolves around the decision-makers more so than the players. The players can't control where they are picked, GMs can. As long as he throws like he'd normally throw and the shoulder isn't a huge problem for him, he'll go #1. It's a strange statement, I know. But at 6'4 1/4 230+ with a strong personality & athletic background, I don't see how Clausen passes him on the Rams board.

LookItsAlDavis
02-28-2010, 03:20 PM
It doesn't matter so much that he's not the number one player, it has more to do with the Rams not being able to pass on the best QB on the board.

eagles6606
02-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I think if the Rams want to take Bradford, they should be very quiet about it. Don't reveal your hand and let people think you will take Suh or Mccoy. Maybe even start negotiating with Suh and not Bradford. Then on draft day, trade with Tampa Bay and get an extra second or third rounder. They can then pick Bradford at 3.

Thread Killer
02-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Interesting article, but Adam Schefter wasn't the first person to link Bradford to the Rams.

descendency
02-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't buy any "locks" in February. He hasn't even thrown yet.

He threw for a few years in college...

Throwing in shorts and t-shirts can't mean that much.

I will say I think he is the#1 pick. It's tough to guess how he will handle NFL pressure though because he's been behind solid OLs. But throwing in shorts and t-shirts is not going to show or hurt that image any.

Jimmy Clausen would need outstanding interviews and throwing sessions (which I wouldn't even bother watching quite frankly) to surpass him.

ThePudge
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Jimmy Clausen would need outstanding interviews and throwing sessions (which I wouldn't even bother watching quite frankly) to surpass him.

In a way, Bradford had this #1 pick locked up since a year ago as he didn't need to do a thing this year to retain that position for St. Louis. As for what Clausen needs to do to pass Sam... it has little to do with him and lots to do with Bradford's throwing shoulder.

Nard_Dog
02-28-2010, 03:51 PM
It's way to early to determine. But I do think they should go quarterback whether it's Clausen or Bradford.

Biscuit
02-28-2010, 03:54 PM
In a way, Bradford had this #1 pick locked up since a year ago as he didn't need to do a thing this year to retain that position for St. Louis.

... But that's what people said about Matt Leinart. All Leinart did after being the rumored number 1 was recover from an arm problem, take his team to the National Championship Game and end up being drafted 10th overall as a senior. While Bradford, an underclassman, had a much more worse final season because he missed most of it.

Day One Pick
02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Hype. The only way Bradford is a Ram is if they trade down to TB like other rumors indicate (which they probably won't).

BSims
02-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Truth. When all is said and done, I believe Bradford will be #1 overall.

ThePudge
02-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Hype. The only way Bradford is a Ram is if they trade down to TB like other rumors indicate (which they probably won't).

Disagree strongly. If they are stuck with the #1 Pick you think they'll just bite the bullet and draft a Defensive Tackle instead? No no... they'll try to move out to 3 knowing they can grab Bradford there, until then they'll entertain Suh/McCoy for the media... They want to convince Tampa that they are taking a DT #1 or else there's really no reason for the Bucs to trade up. Still, Quarterback is where they'll go whether at #1 or 3. Unless they doctor up an Eli Manning-Phillip Rivers trade, you can count on Bradford to the Rams at 1 because Adam Schefter/myself told you so...

Obviously it's not the lock I'm making it to be, but it's not far off and is by far the most likely pick for the Rams at #1.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Recent history has shown that so long as a quarterback is taken in the top 5, he's going to wind up getting the richest contract. Sure, if St. Louis can move back to #3 and get some picks in doing so, it would be preferable, but I sort of doubt that the Bucs would have been willing to move up anyway. At any rate, by now St. Louis' negotiating postion is totally compromised. No one really thinks that the difference between them taking Bradford or Suh/McCoy is 2 draft slots.

Is Bradford a top 5 player for me in this draft? Not really. But I definitely understand why he'd rate highly for them and why they'd pass on the two defensive tackles in favor of him. As for the rumor, I doubt it's all that much more than an educated guess, but I think it's a good guess and one I agree with.

ThePudge
02-28-2010, 04:52 PM
It's way to early to determine. But I do think they should go quarterback whether it's Clausen or Bradford.

It's not too early to determine. There are four guys I'd imagine they'll talk to and negotiate that.... one position that they'll look extra hard at (Quarterback)... and two prospects (Clausen & Bradford).... now we determine who will catch their eye more... and we can guess either one.

I've determined it will be Bradford. It might not be a mortal lock (it usually isn't until the night before), but the odds of St. Louis going with Sam have to be higher than the Phins and Jake Long and the Texans & Mario Williams were at this point. Still, this is my 75% prediction right now. Get used to a lot of Bradford talk

bitonti
02-28-2010, 10:00 PM
hype

suh & mccoy are possible all pros