PDA

View Full Version : Lions to trade for Cromartie?

Addict
02-28-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816a717c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Discuss!

Scotty D
02-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I just read an article about this on pft. What do we give up? Kevin Smith? Avril? 3rd rounder? I dunno about this move...

Addict
02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I can't imagine the Lions would give up anything like that for him. K. Smith maybe, possibly a fourth round pick?

Prowler
02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
i would imagine it would have to be morris since he isn't injured right now. i know smith opted not to have shoulder surgery, so maybe they feel alright about his knee and feel we can pick up a quality free agent plus definitely go with a rb in 2nd round. atleast i'm hoping that's the case. please say we aren't trading any picks.

scpanther22
02-28-2010, 05:10 PM
I think it would just be a pick

BRAVEHEART
02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah, he's had his issues, but he's still 3X better than any CB on our team. Even when he plays like *****, his ***** is still better than our *****.

Get Him.

Prowler
02-28-2010, 05:16 PM
this is where we learn that we just traded our 3rd rounder and that okung will be our 1st pick. followed up by promoting ernie sims to lifetime captain and that we're drafting tim tebow in the 2nd.

WMD
02-28-2010, 05:17 PM
this is where we learn that we just traded our 3rd rounder and that okung will be our 1st pick. followed up by promoting ernie sims to lifetime captain and that we're drafting tim tebow in the 2nd.
I think you would be the first person I'd kill if that happened.

Prowler
02-28-2010, 05:19 PM
lol well drafting tebow would solve many different needs. he can be a linebacker, tailback, fullback, wide receiver, safety, backup quarterback, reverend, etc. and yeah i'd probably be done with lions football.

Scotty D
02-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Say we trade Kevin Smith, where does that leave us at the RB position? Maurice Morris and Aaron Brown? I wasn't counting on Kevin Smith next year anyways, but that'd be ugly.

Prowler
02-28-2010, 05:27 PM
i'd have to get a new lions jersey if we trade smith. however it does make sense to move the injured guy since we can't play with an injured running back. even though i do appreciate everything he's done, cromartie is an athletic ballhawk. i don't care if he gives up a few touchdowns, they were probably going to score anyway. at least we know he'll snag a few interceptions for us like a bigger dre bly.

SINCE1978
02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
From a talent perspective I would be PO'd in San Diego if my team dumped LT & Sproles then turn around & trades Cromartie (arguably there #1 CB) for an injured & average RB in Kevin Smith. Think about that for a minute, ridiculously lopsided ...

Prowler
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
cro fell out of favor over there. something about not being physical enough, shying away from contact, and free styling i think. but all i can remember is him picking off that pass from manning in front of reggie wayne.

SINCE1978
02-28-2010, 06:38 PM
The MLive article, not this one from the NFL, mentioned a compensation of a Lions 5th round pick since San Diego might cut him outright ... just looking to get something for him. Wow, if that is even close to true.

Prowler
02-28-2010, 06:51 PM
thank god, we actually have 2 of those anyway.

thenewfeature06
02-28-2010, 06:59 PM
From a talent perspective I would be PO'd in San Diego if my team dumped LT & Sproles then turn around & trades Cromartie (arguably there #1 CB) for an injured & average RB in Kevin Smith. Think about that for a minute, ridiculously lopsided ...

This. I wouldn't say they are rebuilding because they still have the important part of there offense with Rivers Jackson Gates..etc BUT they dump a first round draft pick in cro who is inconsistent and isn't physical enough for Kevin Smith who lives on the IR. Didn't think they would dump Sproles after LT got dumped but I guess they want a whole new backfield.

Addict
02-28-2010, 07:01 PM

no baby would be left alive in a 30 mile radius of my house if that transpired.

Prowler
02-28-2010, 07:54 PM
no baby would be left alive in a 30 mile radius of my house if that transpired.

with the 34th selection the lions select...Rob Gronkowski.

Mayhew, "hey, he was BPA."

woodnick
02-28-2010, 09:46 PM
lol well drafting tebow would solve many different needs. he can be a linebacker, tailback, fullback, wide receiver, safety, backup quarterback, reverend, etc. and yeah i'd probably be done with lions football.

Don't forget that he would also protect us from Chuck Norris!

woodnick
02-28-2010, 09:49 PM
The MLive article, not this one from the NFL, mentioned a compensation of a Lions 5th round pick since San Diego might cut him outright ... just looking to get something for him. Wow, if that is even close to true.

I would definately trade a 5th for Cro, maybe both of them, but unfortunately if it was MLive that said it there is a chance that they are wrong.

noondog
02-28-2010, 11:57 PM
It would either be a 4th or 5th. No significant roster players. Solid pick-up if it happened, but no one will lose any sleep if it didn't.

detroit4life
03-01-2010, 01:02 AM
i like it and really hope it happens. Instant starter, sure his run defense leaves a lot to be desired but he can definitely cover. With chicago going much more pass heavy now and green bay as well a cb with his abilities will help. Hopefully cuningham and schwartz can get him to be more physical but he has shown what he's capable of doing in the past so why not give him a shot

DoWnThEfiElD
03-01-2010, 08:26 AM

For a 5th rounder I would do it, but if he is upset in San Deigo, what is he going to be in Detroit?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Cro fo Sho.

He can cover. We still need to get a pass rush for him but he can cover and has ball skillzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Can't tackle but beggars cant' be choosers. 5th round pick, hell yes.

Funny San Diego still has Jammer and Cason. Damn them hoarding corner backs.

Prowler
03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
suh without playing 2 gaps, and purely blitzing would definitely help him. same with mccoy. we're slowly solving the defensive puzzle.

SINCE1978
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
2 big "if's" but both are being rumored around the net ... DE Vanden Bosch acquired by Detroit & CB Cromartie traded for with a mid round pick. Combine these 2 moves with the #2 overall pick being an impact DT (99% positive they go that route) this would instanlty add 3 solid starters to the D, likely a 4th starter in rd 2-4 at either S or DE. That would be sick! Again, big if's but hope is alive here ... Mayhew you can do it ;o)

Addict
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
2 big "if's" but both are being rumored around the net ... DE Vanden Bosch acquired by Detroit & CB Cromartie traded for with a mid round pick. Combine these 2 moves with the #2 overall pick being an impact DT (99% positive they go that route) this would instanlty add 3 solid starters to the D, likely a 4th starter in rd 2-4 at either S or DE. That would be sick! Again, big if's but hope is alive here ... Mayhew you can do it ;o)

hate to burst your bubble but Cro at this point cannot be seen as a solid starter.

Prowler
03-01-2010, 02:55 PM
atleast he has better hands than any of our receivers

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lionsblog/index.php?blogid=2036

But the Chargers' asking price for Cromartie may include running back Maurice Morris, in addition to a fourth or fifth-round draft pick, a league source said.

gotta love those anonymous league sources.

if we move morris (30 years old), then should we sign a mcgahee type to team with best from the draft? or if we take a ben tate, the who should the vet rb be?

SINCE1978
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
hate to burst your bubble but Cro at this point cannot be seen as a solid starter.

No bubble bursted here ... just one man's opinion versus another.
Sure San Diego has the luxury of dumping this guy they have DB stars like Weddle, Cason & Jammer! Detroit no luxury there ;o) He is certainly a grade above Will James, Eric King & Philip Buchanon wouldn't you at least agree to that? Plus it is said to be in exchange for a 5th rounder plus maybe a back-up player... come on, would we get a CB of his caliber in the 5th this draft? If it were a 2nd or 3rd rounder I might flinch at the deal.

atleast he has better hands than any of our receivers

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lionsblog/index.php?blogid=2036

gotta love those anonymous league sources.

if we move morris (30 years old), then should we sign a mcgahee type to team with best from the draft? or if we take a ben tate, the who should the vet rb be?

Why do we need a vet RB if we trade Morris & go the rookie route? It's not a league blue print. It helps but our run game was awful the past 1/2 decade anyway ... young or old. Rookie Best (or Tate as you say) would be fine with Aaron Brown & Dede Dorsey spelling them until K. Smith is back healthy imo. But if this is a "requirement" just our luck that there will be a herd of vet RB's available in a few days! Add to the list Mike Bell NO, Thomas Jone NY Jets & possibly Chester Taylor Minnesota! all could be had if we need a vet to go along with the rookie.

Prowler
03-01-2010, 04:03 PM
lol i completely forgot about dorsey. for a minute i thought we literally only had k smith, morris, and brown.

noondog
03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Thomas Jones anyone? I'd love to see him inked to a 3 year deal. Morris becomes even more expendable and we land Cromartie. Nice additions there.

Scotty D
03-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Thomas Jones anyone? I'd love to see him inked to a 3 year deal. Morris becomes even more expendable and we land Cromartie. Nice additions there.

I'd love Thomas Jones on the Lions. Him or Chester Taylor would be very nice.

SINCE1978
03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/03/source_its_highly_unlikely_lio.html

Because MLive says it it must be true (ha ...lol) But looks like the Lions are heading in "another direction" regarding Cromartie? Wonder if it was the 7 kids in 5 states with 5 women?? I also wonder what the other direction is ... Mayhew has something cooking I feel it boys ... Dunta Robinson maybe??

DoWnThEfiElD
03-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd love Thomas Jones on the Lions. Him or Chester Taylor would be very nice.

I would accept Thomas Jones at RB for sure.

WMD
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, since MLive reported that we aren't trading for him, we'll probably strike a deal tomorrow.

I was all for getting Cromartie if he came cheap (insert (insert children joke here) here) but I wouldn't give up much for the guy.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I really hope Morris is not the sticking point in this trade. He's a dime a dozen.

SINCE1978
03-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Character aside (although it matters imo) the Cromartie trade says 2 things to me ... 1) Detroit is sending a message to it's average DB vets by looking to upgrade (Buchanon, James, King I'm talking to you) & 2) Mayhew is stepping it up for the Lions just being in the conversation for a trade for a previous Pro Bowler. Regardless of his "diminished" skills since 10 INT's in 07, he would easily be the teams #1 CB day 1 if signed.

Prowler
03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I really hope Morris is not the sticking point in this trade. He's a dime a dozen.

you're going to be pissed. the very article from espn insider read ''morris is the sticking point to the trade'' he's a free article linked that was linked to it.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100302/SPORTS0101/3020374/1126/rss14

But the Chargers' initial asking price for Cromartie may have included running back Maurice Morris, in addition to a fourth or fifth-round draft pick, a league source said.

Brothgar
03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
We can get a better RB than Morris in the 4th round. Seriously.

EDIT: Although if the market is really that bad for him. Maybe we can get him for the 5th rounder alone. Or for nothing at all if he is cut.

Calvin & Kevin
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Tom Kowalski has spent the last few days on DFN just hammering Cromartie, and all from an on-the-field angle, not his personal problems.

According to Killer, Cromartie's coverage skills are severely overrated and his level of physical play is just shameful, he "turns down" tackles on a regular basis. He still has good ball skills and will get his picks, but that's the only strong point in his game according to Tom. That's the deal breaker for the Lions apparently. For a fifth rounder, you can take that risk, but for more than that the Lions will pass it seems.

SINCE1978
03-04-2010, 06:01 AM
let's draft a CB and go buy Antrell Rolle! I like that idea.

woodnick
03-04-2010, 08:26 AM

I would enjoy this also.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
It is a really deep draft for corners. We could get two out of the whole draft.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Heard he wants 8 million a year. Rolle is more of a FS. We already have Delams. So unless Delmas moves to SS or Rolle moves to corner where he struggled, no thanks.

woodnick
03-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Heard he wants 8 million a year. Rolle is more of a FS. We already have Delams. So unless Delmas moves to SS or Rolle moves to corner where he struggled, no thanks.

I personally think Delmas is more suited to be a SS, so I like this idea.

SINCE1978
03-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Is that legit? He's only the #2 safety on THAT team the #1 imo (Adrian Wilson) makes 4.7 million according to an SI.com salary list (2008). Let me have some fun with this ... Bob Sanders (8.7 mil) Troy Polamalu (6.8 mil) & Ed Reed (3.4 mil). Kid better shrink his ego, he is not worth 8 mil a year in this company. No way!

I personally think Delmas is more suited to be a SS, so I like this idea.

Ha ... well played woodnick. Plus I have heard multiple fellas in here claim Schwartz does not call them "free" or "strong" it's simply 1 or 2 safety or left or right safety. But if Rolle wants 8 million a season he can go fly his platinum coated kite somewhere else! ;o) I'll take a shot on drafting a Darrell Stuckey or Nate Allen in rd 3 & be good with it.

Can someone confirm that Rolle wanting 8 million a year thing?

woodnick
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Is that legit? He's only the #2 safety on THAT team the #1 imo (Adrian Wilson) makes 4.7 million according to an SI.com salary list (2008). Let me have some fun with this ... Bob Sanders (8.7 mil) Troy Polamalu (6.8 mil) & Ed Reed (3.4 mil). Kid better shrink his ego, he is not worth 8 mil a year in this company. No way!

Ha ... well played woodnick. Plus I have heard multiple fellas is here claim Schwartz does not call them "free" or "strong" it's simply 1 or 2 safety or left or right safety. But if Rolle wants 8 million a season he can go fly his platinum coated kite somewhere else! ;o) I'll take a fly on a Darrell Stuckey or Nate Allen in rd 3 & be good with it.

Can someone confirm that Rolle wanting 8 million a year thing?

I can not confirm that Rolle wants $8 mill/yr., but I agree with you that it is absurd to ask for that as a Safety if you are not named Reed, Polamalu, or Sanders.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3149&line=168747&spln=1

Heres the link to the rumor that Rolle wants that much. Adiran Wilson got a big deal in 2009 from Arizona, Rolle wants at least that.

Prowler
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
there is no such thing as strong and free safeties in schwartz/cunningham's scheme. they are equal and are identified as left and right. he's looking for safeties who can run and hit equally.

and i'd say tackling and positioning should be just as important to him. i'm looking at myron rolle as a great fit. hopefully he slides down the board a couple rounds and we get the steal.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
there is no such thing as strong and free safeties in schwartz/cunningham's scheme. they are equal and are identified as left and right. he's looking for safeties who can run and hit equally.

and i'd say tackling and positioning should be just as important to him. i'm looking at myron rolle as a great fit. hopefully he slides down the board a couple rounds and we get the steal.

Very true Delmas was up in the box some last year too. So theoretically we could have Rolle and Delmas assuming Rolle is a decent tackler(former CB????) too if they plan on using him in the box at all. But if 8 million per year rumor is true, no thanks.

SINCE1978
03-04-2010, 03:28 PM

Yeah Myron Rolle (the Rhodes Scholar) is intriguing ... is he done with the school commitment at Oxford? Not sure I like the idea (like in hockey & baseball) of taking a kid then waiting a year, regardless of talent.

Prowler
03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
unfortunately for everybody i think antrel rolle will sign with the giants very soon.

its a bit sketchy on the legalities of taking the rhodes and his obligations but judging from his interviews i'm pretty sure rolle's schedule is completely devoted to football for the present. it seems as if his scholarship just allowed him to finish his schooling at oxford instead of florida state. (essentially studying abroad for his senior year) after his career in the league is over or when he's 30-34 years old he'd go to medical school and then become a neurosurgeon.

two semi recent articles about myron rolle.
the burden of being myron rolle
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100218/myronrolle

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/20106/fsus-rolle-shouldnt-hold-back

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Cromartie to the Jets for 2011 3rd that could be a 2nd per Glazer twitter

noondog
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Cromartie to the Jets for 2011 3rd that could be a 2nd per Glazer twitter

Glad we passed then. Definitely not worth that imo.