PDA

View Full Version : DE Clifton Geathers--6-8 38-inch arms, 299lbs.

nofalcons10
03-01-2010, 07:36 AM
has to be the longest arms i've ever heard of. 35 inches are typically considered freakish. 38 inches takes the cake.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/27/1278418/geathers-prospects-under-draft.html

i never watched this kid at all in college. does anyone have a personal scouting report to offer on geathers? perhaps an S.C. fan of the board?

scpanther22
03-01-2010, 07:39 AM
He should have stayed in school.

nofalcons10
03-01-2010, 07:49 AM
is he marquis hill, calais cambell , or worse?

DoughBoy
03-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I never noticed him at Scar. Was he even the full time starter? Looks like a hard guy to miss.

TitanHope
03-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, pretty much the consensus that he should've stayed in school. If he performs well today, he may cement himself as a late rounder who for sure gets drafted instead of a UDFA/late 7th RD'er.

MOTH has the info on Geathers. Pretty much has vast potential, but hasn't put it all together on the field yet. Mountain of a man who is strong and stout against the run, but doesn't have great pass-rush ability. The Geathers family has many football players in it (related to Robert Geathers on the Bengals, I believe. And I think Georgia got a recruit named Geathers two years ago). Pretty much a developmental 5-technique. I wasn't expecting him to be ~300 lbs. Maybe around 285-290, which'd give him more positional flexibility. Could compare to Chris Canty maybe?

M.O.T.H.
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I'll bust out the ole copy n paste from what I said from the other thread.

He should have stayed in school. As you know he has legitimate size, and he has a great family pedigree. However, although he has good power, he can be overpowered and only flashed some of that vast potential that he's supposed to possess, at South Carolina. He doesnt have a ton of experience and he didnt fill up any stat sheets when he played. He's strong against the rush, a good tackler, but he never really developed into a great pass rusher. He certainly was developing here but, he's going to need some work yet. If he ever reaches his potential, he can be a great player. He was an idiot to leave, though. He's not the brightest of guys off the field. The good news for the team he lands with at least, is that he was getting better by the year and he did take a nice step forward in his progression this past season.

edit...I just realized, I kind of failed to answer your question. He's def. more than just a big body, he should test out well. He showed flashes of brilliance off the edge but, he's far from a polished product, and he was never that productive for prolonged periods of time. Like I said, you probably wont see a whole lot on the tape if you're a scout. Sometimes you didnt even know he was there. He's not someone you can plug in right now.To summarize...he is very athletically gifted, he should test out very well today. However, he's not a great pass rusher yet, strong against the rush, he looks like the part of a 5 technique right now and he can get bigger as well, he has a fantastic frame. He can certainly play 4-3 DE but, you'd really have to wait on a return. He's very inexperienced and when he did play, a great deal of that time, he would go unnoticed...for such a physically impressive player, he sure was hard to find on a lot of Saturdays. His pass rush ability is rather underdeveloped, and it will take a while for him to fully develop. Given the blend of his physical make up and athleticism, the potential is limitless but, there is no guarantee he'll ever fulfill it. And more likely than not, he will be drafted as a 5 technique. If someone falls in love with the measurables, he can go much earlier but, you're drafting on potential, more than anything. Again, there isnt much on the tape that will really jump out at you.

villagewarrior
03-01-2010, 01:18 PM
With that size you have to think some of the 3-4 teams are looking at him at end.

M.O.T.H.
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
With that size you have to think some of the 3-4 teams are looking at him at end.

That's what a 5 technique is...that's where the majority of the interest will come from. But if he was selected by a 4-3 team, I wouldnt be surprised.

Viper652
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Hes 6-7 actually

Cigaro
03-01-2010, 03:34 PM
He had a few decent games this season, and flashed some very good potential(see Florida game). However, he was never consistant, and to repeat for the 1000x time, he should have stayed in school.

Saying that, I think it may take a few seasons, but I think he could be a good 3-4 DE, maybe a strongside 4-3 end depending on the system.

TheMorningZoo
03-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I really don't know much about him, besides what I have read in a few threads about him the past few days. But maybe he can be a late round / FA gem, hopefully the Chargers take a look. Apparently he doesn't have " high character" and needs to refine his technique. He is an imposing specimen, and good against the run-so I am sure some team will take a shot at him.

brat316
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
If what you say is true that he is gonna get bigger. He could move to NT then.

descendency
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
38 inch arms??? WOW. *drools*

Too bad he's not a good football player.

TheMorningZoo
03-01-2010, 03:52 PM

His height would probably hinder him from being a good NT, being too tall would not give him proper leverage. Has the size to be a dominant 3-4 DE though.

DraftBreakdown
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I was watching tape of him last night. I completely forgot he declared so I skipped him when I was doing my reports for bth SC and Georgia game.

One thing I noticed is that he's not very instinctive and he runs himself out of a lot of plays. He lined up inside at tackle in pass rush situations. For every great play he makes, you'll see a play where you shake your head and wonder why he did what he did. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went in the 5th round area just based on potential alone. And I agree that I only see him as a 3-4 end (5 T).

J255979-11nine
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
is he marquis hill, calais cambell , or worse?

Did you just insinuate that Calais Campbell is on the same level of atrociousness that Marquis Hill was on?

Saints-Tigers
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Moth, you say he's not a good pass rusher yet, do you think he has good-great potential in that regard? How is he off the field, and how is his motor?

Cigaro
03-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Way too tall for NT. It'll be hard for him to establish leverage.

And I know the question was addressed to MOTH, but I'm a fellow SC fan, so I feel I can answer as well; he doesn't have great/good pass rush potential in the pros. I think he could be a decent pass rusher and a great run stuffer if everything goes to plan for him, but I don't see quarterback's worst nightmare anytime in his future.

critesy
03-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I'll bust out the ole copy n paste from what I said from the other thread.

To summarize...he is very athletically gifted, he should test out very well today. However, he's not a great pass rusher yet, strong against the rush, he looks like the part of a 5 technique right now and he can get bigger as well, he has a fantastic frame. He can certainly play 4-3 DE but, you'd really have to wait on a return. He's very inexperienced and when he did play, a great deal of that time, he would go unnoticed...for such a physically impressive player, he sure was hard to find on a lot of Saturdays. His pass rush ability is rather underdeveloped, and it will take a while for him to fully develop. Given the blend of his physical make up and athleticism, the potential is limitless but, there is no guarantee he'll ever fulfill it. And more likely than not, he will be drafted as a 5 technique. If someone falls in love with the measurables, he can go much earlier but, you're drafting on potential, more than anything. Again, there isnt much on the tape that will really jump out at you.

lol to summarize ?!?

M.O.T.H.
03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
lol to summarize ?!?

lol.

Well the original post was longer. :D

superman8456
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm surprised by a lot of the ignorance in this thread.

He's a pretty good football player. I've been on his bandwagon for some time now. I've liked him ever since the game against Florida. I thought he did a very good job of holding his own in every aspect of the game. Very, very good developmental player.

Cigaro
03-01-2010, 08:27 PM

He's a pretty good football player. I've been on his bandwagon for some time now. I've liked him ever since the game against Florida. I thought he did a very good job of holding his own in every aspect of the game. Very, very good developmental player.

Pretty good? He has that potential, but I've seen every SC game since he's been on campus, and he never registered as pretty good college football player to me. He had a great game against Florida, but that was not his standard of play for the majority of his games.

M.O.T.H.
03-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Ignorance?

Did you not read the thread? We said he's a player who has very good potential, but he is a long way away, he was never good for long periods at all. And he is incredibly inexperienced as well. There are two SCAR fans in here, who have seen him every single week.

villagewarrior
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
That's what a 5 technique is...that's where the majority of the interest will come from. But if he was selected by a 4-3 team, I wouldnt be surprised.

Defensive ends play the 5 tech in the 4-3 as well.