PDA

View Full Version : Sean Tayor vs Taylor Mays "Physical Measurbles Only"

dregolll
03-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Before you guys rip into me, I'm comparing these 2 safties from a physical standpoint. We all know Sean Taylor was one of the greatest saftey prospects to enter the draft in sometime, so I'm not comparing the two there. But from a pure "Physical Specimen" standpoint, which of these 2 are the more impressive. R.I.P. Sean Taylor

superman
03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
mays by a lot. i don't think taylor broke a 4.5

AntoinCD
03-03-2010, 08:38 AM
From a measurables standpoint its easily Mays.

Taylor was a 4.5 guy who had like 11 reps at 225 and a 35'' vert.

Mays had an official 4.43 but Jacoby Ford and Trindan Holliday disagree, 24 reps at 225 and a 41'' vert.

Mays is also an inch taller and a pound heavier.

As a propsect though its not even close.

DiG
03-03-2010, 08:42 AM
taylor ran an "official" 4.45.

this thread is fail.

zachsaints52
03-03-2010, 09:06 AM

this thread is fail.

No it didn't!!!

Yes it did.

ThePudge
03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't know what there is to gain by purely comparing them physically, but Taylor Mays is the bigger, stronger, and faster of the two. As a physical specimen Mays is going to grade out as the most freakish prospect of all time at the Safety position. His 4.43 makes me question every single time the Combine is putting out and it should be known that he has 4.31-4.33 speed.

etk
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Sean Taylor was a much more fluid athlete, so I say he had better physical tools. Mays is just more of a combine freak.

GoRavens
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Sean Taylor is clearly the better football player, Taylor Mays is more athletic and built, but he's a sissy compared to Taylor with pads on.
Sean Taylor = G.O.A.T

ThePudge
03-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Sean Taylor was a much more fluid athlete, so I say he had better physical tools. Mays is just more of a combine freak.

Definitely a more fluid athlete, but I'm not sure that can be listed as a measurable. In terms of triangle numbers you're not going to find a more rare physical specimen than Mays. Saying he's the more physically gifted player is not a stretch by any means and means nothing on the football field. Obviously Taylor was the much more prolific player on the field and really set the gold standard for a Safety prospect.

thebow305
03-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Sean Taylor is clearly the better football player, Taylor Mays is more athletic and built, but he's a sissy compared to Taylor with pads on.
Sean Taylor = G.O.A.T

This ^.........

bitonti
03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
sean taylor 'legend' is helped by his death... like jimi hendrix... we never got to see him be mediocre. calling him the goat is a pretty big insult to ronnie lott and others. Taylor was great but not even close to goat.

superman
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM

this thread is fail.

maybe at a pro day, def not combine

BuddyCHRIST
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
sean taylor 'legend' is helped by his death... like jimi hendrix... we never got to see him be mediocre. calling him the goat is a pretty big insult to ronnie lott and others. Taylor was great but not even close to goat.

theyre talking about as a prospect, he was mediocre early in his career at times.

brasho
03-03-2010, 05:33 PM
He was a great prospect but for Mays to be a better pro than Taylor it won't be extremely difficult.

As far as measurables, Taylor was an impressive athlete despite benching somewhere between 5-11 (I thought it was something like 5 reps) of 225 which showed little dedication which I think was what kept him from being a great pro.

superman
03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
landry would probably be a better comparison to mays numbers wise

Saints-Tigers
03-03-2010, 06:48 PM

This right hurr.

Saints-Tigers
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Personally,I think if you take someone like Eric Berry and put his brain in Taylor Mays body, I don't think it makes him a better player. Berry is a much more instinctive guy, but he's just so more fluid and natural when moving around the field.

But if we are talking about who can run in a straight line at the highest weight, then yea, Mays is pushing Bo Jackson territory.

D-Unit
03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Taylor Mays will have the better pro career.

FUNBUNCHER
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
maybe at a pro day, def not combine

Sean Taylor ran one 40 at Miami's pro day; he was timed by Gil Brandt in 4.50 flat at a weight of 230#.

His speed increased when he dropped weight....

Saints-Tigers
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
MAys will never be the playmaker that Sean was when he died, ever.

thetedginnshow
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Mays is one of those guys that has to definitely be drafted into the right situation to get close to his potential.

YAYareaRB
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Damn every time I think of Sean Taylor, the faces of his killers come up in my head. Damn them for taking him away from us.

BRAVEHEART
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
SWDC with the same MaysXTaylor threads. Let Mays be Mays

TitanHope
03-04-2010, 02:19 AM

this thread is fail.

Sean Taylor's combine 40-time was 4.51 40 according to SportsIllustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/44570.html) and 4.54 40 according to USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2004draft/Taylor,Sean-FS-Miami.htm).

Taylor is seemingly becoming an urban legend of sorts after his passing, and it feels like a lot of it is perpetuated by Miami (Fl.) and Redskins fans.

wordofi
03-04-2010, 02:38 AM
Taylor Mays will have the better pro career.

That's not saying much because Sean taylor only played 4 seasons.

Abaddon
03-04-2010, 02:42 AM
I don't know what there is to gain by purely comparing them physically, but Taylor Mays is the bigger, stronger, and faster of the two. As a physical specimen Mays is going to grade out as the most freakish prospect of all time at the Safety position. His 4.43 makes me question every single time the Combine is putting out and it should be known that he has 4.31-4.33 speed.

Apparently not...

LickaMahfeetz
03-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Curious if Taylor Mays would also not want no part of Steven Jackson in the open field and would avoid heads up contact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMO57AZK0I&feature=PlayList&p=D328D0173C5F564D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41

@3:20

Rosebud
03-04-2010, 04:05 AM
If Mays can put things together the way Sean Taylor started to at the end of his career he would be a hall of fame lock. Taylor was over-rated his first two years but then got serious, started turning his life around and became dominant. I love safeties but before Sean Taylor I never thought a safety should ever be your best defender, but with how dominant he was he let that defense do a lot of things that they couldn't with even a probowl caliber safety replacing him.

Ozzy
03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Why would one consider physical statistics only? That is like saying all players are alike if they are the same height, weight, bench the same and run the same 40 time. Huge missing part is how they play on the field.

And honestly Taylor Mays should never be consider a Sean Taylor type of player because Mays just simply does not have the ball skills or coverage ability. Sean Taylor was a ball hawk that can hit, Mays is basically just a guy that can hit, his ball skills are nothing amazing.

murdamal86
03-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Exactly. Taylor was more of a glider and played faster than his actually straight line timed speed.

SRogers92
03-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Curious if Taylor Mays would also not want no part of Steven Jackson in the open field and would avoid heads up contact?

Not sure which play you watched, but -- looks like to me Sean Taylor was anticipating a cut and didn't take the right angle ... he definitely didn't shy away from contact ... not even close.

Sean Taylor was really starting to play up to his potential prior to his death ... some people love to hate on him and say how overrated he was, etc ... but -- he struggled a little(not like Roy Williams struggling) his first season or two then really started to come on ... coincidentally - as soon as he was supposedly turning his life around ...

SimonRath
03-04-2010, 10:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMO57AZK0I&feature=PlayList&p=D328D0173C5F564D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41

@3:20

you are an idiot..
jus cause Taylor didnt anticipate the right play doesnt mean he avoids contact

superman
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
i think we all know taylor was a much better player, that's why title says physical measurable only

Legend234
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I believe that Taylor Mays has a certain amount of god given ability but what made him better than sean taylor from a measurables standpoint is that he works harder at those things. I didn't know Sean Taylor personally, but from what I could see, he wasn't the type to be in the gym anymore than he had to be. Alot of times people confuse passion for the game with work ethic off the field. Taylor loved the game but for a guy like him to only get 11 reps on the bench, he couldn't have been in the gym too much. If Taylor would have been the gym rat that mays is, I think we would have seen similar numbers from him.

FUNBUNCHER
03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I believe that Taylor Mays has a certain amount of god given ability but what made him better than sean taylor from a measurables standpoint is that he works harder at those things. I didn't know Sean Taylor personally, but from what I could see, he wasn't the type to be in the gym anymore than he had to be. Alot of times people confuse passion for the game with work ethic off the field. Taylor loved the game but for a guy like him to only get 11 reps on the bench, he couldn't have been in the gym too much. If Taylor would have been the gym rat that mays is, I think we would have seen similar numbers from him.

This is one of the reasons ST's death was so tragic from a fan standpoint. Ed Reed had finally gotten through to Sean in the offseason before he was killed that to truly become the player he was destined to be, he had to work on his game OFF the field too.
Sean Taylor did tons of cardio/running and track work in the offseason and just figured IMO that he was naturally strong enough, ( the same way Lawrence Taylor viewed himself, he also never met a weight room that he didn't try to avoid), and instinctive enough that he didn't have to commit to heavy film study.
That summer Sean had dropped his weight from 230# to 214#, went on this health kick where he ate strictly organic and no red meat, got his timed speed back down to the low 4.4s like it was at the U, and seemed prepared to take his game to the next level.

LickaMahfeetz
03-15-2010, 03:14 AM
you are an idiot..
jus cause Taylor didnt anticipate the right play doesnt mean he avoids contact
Don't be so naive. Not to speak ill of the dead. He didn't want any part of contact with Steven Jackson. He played like that all game long. If you think he just anticipated a different cut, you didn't watch much or pay too close attention to Sean Taylor's career.

GhostDeini
03-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Taylor Mays is an underwear model.

The late Great Sean Taylor was just a better pure football player. He was an All State RB in highschool and set single season rushing TD record that still stands with 44 in his senior season.

At the combine Sean only ran 4.55 but it didn't matter because his game speed, agility, instincts and nastiness couldn't be questioned just by watching film. Taylor on the other hand, seems to not be involved in game action as much as you would think somebody with his workout numbers would.

Sean had his ups & downs in the NFL early on but I think that's because he was playing too heavy. Does anybody remember how huge he looked in Skins game at the HOF ? He could always make the hit but couldn't turn and run as he should playing at 230. Then his final year he got into really great shape and slimmed down to 212 and was leading the NFL in int's by that point. Was it a coinsedence ? I think not.

Taylor Mays is heavier already coming in than Sean was so I don't think by losing weight he's going to get the hips he never had to begin with to play DB for a long time in the league.

FUNBUNCHER
03-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Sean Taylor I'm almost 99% certain skipped his workouts at the combine and only participated at Miami's pro day.
Gil Brandt had him timed running ONE 40 at the U., in 4.50 flat.

Jimmy
03-15-2010, 08:04 AM
it doesn't matter. Sean Taylor was and always be the better ball player.

FUNBUNCHER
03-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Don't be so naive. Not to speak ill of the dead. He didn't want any part of contact with Steven Jackson. He played like that all game long. If you think he just anticipated a different cut, you didn't watch much or pay too close attention to Sean Taylor's career.

Still, it sounds like you're implying that ST was 'afraid' to tackle Steven Jackson, which simply isn't true. What were Steven Jackson's stats that game??
Did he even get 80 yards??

Steven Jackson by himself ain't punking the SKins and IMO the only powerback who left his cleat marks on the Skins D is Brandon Jacobs.

Larry121283
03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Sean Taylor is the single greatest athlete I've personally seen on a football field...it started back when he was in high school...Sean Taylor could do anything you could do, better...it was as easy as that.

Before ST passed away, NFL teams were starting to consider him the best player in the league on D...his stay was short, but impactful..once the light came on, the sky was the limit and he was just about to get there.

From a physical point of view...no one touches Taylor...just a rare athlete, they don't make'em like ST.

Mays isn't comparable in anyway and is saddens me that people would put Sean Taylor and Taylor Mays in the same sentence...

People will be looking for the next Sean Taylor for decades. Taylor Mays is closer to Aaron Rouse than Sean Taylor.

FUNBUNCHER
03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Larry, I repped you for the love, but no safety prospect in modern NFL history has the measurables of Taylor Mays.

Got to give the kid his props when he deserves them.

If Mays improves 20% as a football player, he's a pro bowler.

wicket
03-17-2010, 05:06 PM
landry would probably be a better comparison to mays numbers wise

this poster is right

Complex
03-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree will Larry, Taylor Mays spends time in the weight room, Sean didn't.