PDA

View Full Version : undersized DE

scpanther22
03-03-2010, 09:15 AM
What are in your opinion some DE that despite being "undersized" could stay in the 4-3.And in some cases do better in the 4-3 instead of moving to OLB.

bitonti
03-03-2010, 10:21 AM
brandon graham, ricky sapp and jermaine cunningham are all 'undersized' and probably better fits for 4-3 than 3-4.

Warpig
03-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I hate the 3-4 defense. Taking a 4-3 DE in college and trying to make him a 3-4 OLB hardly ever (if ever) works. Then the poor kid is all screwed up. If he played DE in college leave him as a DE so he can accel. Then if he's not comfortable making the switch, teams say he was a bust or failure. Uh, no...your (the coach) dumbazz just don't know where to play him to get the most out of him. Did I mention I hate the 3-4? :)

brat316
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I hate the 3-4 defense. Taking a 4-3 DE in college and trying to make him a 3-4 OLB hardly ever (if ever) works. Then the poor kid is all screwed up. If he played DE in college leave him as a DE so he can accel. Then if he's not comfortable making the switch, teams say he was a bust or failure. Uh, no...your (the coach) dumbazz just don't know where to play him to get the most out of him. Did I mention I hate the 3-4? :)

Hmmm...Calvin Pace would disagree with that. 4-3 end he sucked couldn't even get on the field as a 1st round pick..for 3-4 years. Then they switch to 3-4 and suddenly he is blowing it up.

killxswitch
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, Arthur Moats, Jermaine Cunningham, maybe Brandon Lang.

scpanther22
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, Arthur Moats, Jermaine Cunningham, maybe Brandon Lang.

I like Hughes he was said to have looked good doing the LB drills.

ToldLikeItIs
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Thad Gibson

LizardState
03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
They're the new trend in the NFL, shorter, quicker DEs & OLBs beating the huge 6-7 OTs to the QB a la Elvis Dumervil & Edwards with the Vikes.

killxswitch
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
They're the new trend in the NFL, shorter, quicker DEs & OLBs beating the huge 6-7 OTs to the QB a la Elvis Dumervil & Edwards with the Vikes.

Don't forget Dwight Freeney whose been doing it since 2002.

yourfavestoner
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM
For some reason, the NFL is just now catching onto the idea that short does not mean small.

no bare feet
03-03-2010, 01:10 PM

james harrison, lamar woodley, teddy bruschi, mike vrable, elvis dumervil, kevin greene, terrel suggs, demarcus ware, anthony spencer, shaun phillips would disagree about the transition..just to name a few

scpanther22
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
For some reason, the NFL is just now catching onto the idea that short does not mean small.

Just catching but still dont get it 100%..Its always those guys that slide because of there size.

killxswitch
03-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Just catching but still dont get it 100%..Its always those guys that slide because of there size.

Except now it's 3-4 teams taking them to play OLB.

toonsterwu
03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
brandon graham, ricky sapp and jermaine cunningham are all 'undersized' and probably better fits for 4-3 than 3-4.

I specifically disagree on Sapp. I just don't see him as a great fit for most 4-3's. I don't believe his pass rush repetoire off the line, combined with his run anchor issues, are good enough.

I do agree on Graham, though. For all the talk about him in a 3-4, I do really like him in a 4-3.

Grizzlegom
03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I specifically disagree on Sapp. I just don't see him as a great fit for most 4-3's. I don't believe his pass rush repetoire off the line, combined with his run anchor issues, are good enough.

I do agree on Graham, though. For all the talk about him in a 3-4, I do really like him in a 4-3.

I second this, Sapp should be praying that a 3-4 team takes him.

As for undersized guys, Graham definitely. Selvie, Brandon Lang, and Lindsey Witten are all guys that I think could do well in either scheme.

ironman4579
03-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Apparently some still don't realize it, if this quote from Greg Bedard is accurate:

A 3-4 coach told me he wanted nothing to do with Michigan linebacker Brandon Graham because his short stature and short arms will make it hard for him to get off blocks.

You know, being his measurables are basically identical to LaMarr Woodley, and you know Woodley has certainly struggled in a 3-4 in the NFL.......................................

killxswitch
03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Apparently some still don't realize it, if this quote from Greg Bedard is accurate:

A 3-4 coach told me he wanted nothing to do with Michigan linebacker Brandon Graham because his short stature and short arms will make it hard for him to get off blocks.

You know, being his measurables are basically identical to LaMarr Woodley, and you know Woodley has certainly struggled in a 3-4 in the NFL.......................................

There are dummies everywhere, even in NFL coaching circles.