PDA

View Full Version : Combine Winners and Losers

JoeJoeBrown
03-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Sporting News List (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-03-02/nfl-combine-winners-and-losers-defense)

Some interesting names on there. Being an OSU homer, I found the comment about Thad Gibson interesting:

Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State. Personnel men and coaches wanted to see if the explosiveness and athleticism he showed playing defensive end in college could translate to playing outside linebacker in the NFL. He answered those questions at the Combine, looking explosive, quick, agile and athletic in all drills. More than a few scouts said he looked like he had been playing linebacker his whole life. He will go in the first round to a team using a 3-4 scheme.

RealityCheck
03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Thad Gibson in the first? Ok.

Top Winners
1. Dorin Dickerson, WR, Pittsburgh
2. Taylor Mays, S/OLB, USC
3. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
4. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
5. Jarrett Brown, QB, West Virginia
6. Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State
7. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa
8. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
9. Jamar Chaney, ILB, Mississippi State
10. Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina

JoeJoeBrown
03-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Top Winners
3. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn

Yeah, I think it's a reach. I think he is definitely a top 50 player. Good, not grea,t due to his size. If he slips to the third a team got a great steal.

I mean with the quality of this class, I seriously doubt the guy goes in the 1st.

killxswitch
03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke. Some scouts had tagged him as a "sleeper" because of his size, athleticism and intelligence, but after a disappointing Combine he no longer holds that tag. He looked slow in all drills Monday, lacking speed and quickness and burst. He likely will fall into the late rounds.

Man that is true. I remember people talking about him highly last year. What the heck happened to this guy?

ToldLikeItIs
03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Just Patrick A., making moves

RealityCheck
03-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Man that is true. I remember people talking about him highly last year. What the heck happened to this guy?
He played at Duke, people might have confused him with a basketball player, happens a lot.

PossibleCabbage
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM

He had a knee injury this year, but he could play on it though not well. He's probably not fully recovered yet, if he'll ever be.

SRogers92
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
How is Taylor Mays a top winner? We all knew the kid was fast as hell ... did they play a game of football after the combine and he suddenly showed an ability to wrap up and make plays?

Babylon
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
How is Taylor Mays a top winner? We all knew the kid was fast as hell ... did they play a game of football after the combine and he suddenly showed an ability to wrap up and make plays?

He had 268 career tackles and 5 ints. Can we stop saying he didnt make any plays. Plus he knocked a lot of jocks off.

SRogers92
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
REALLY?!?!?

5 INTs in 4 years ... simply astounding ... You're seriously going to use that as an arguement? Sorry to sound like an ass, but -- that's a joke ... right?

Oh -- but you're right -- he also forced 1 fumble his entire career ... mix that in with the total of 0 sacks and you get ... *drum roll* a playmaker! He's Vernon Gholston without the college stats to back it up ... which is scary.

scpanther22
03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
The guy in the article is a lil off..lol

MizzouBig12
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Being an admirer of USC football, I like Mays, except like many on these boards have reservations about him being a first-day pick. Terrific athleticism, sure, but having watched many SC games, he seems to have VERY poor instincts, which is evident by his lack of interceptions. Heck, Matt O'Hanlon from Nebraska has better stats than Mays, and better instincts, but will probably end up being UFA.

yourfavestoner
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
REALLY?!?!?

5 INTs in 4 years ... simply astounding ... You're seriously going to use that as an arguement? Sorry to sound like an ass, but -- that's a joke ... right?

Oh -- but you're right -- he also forced 1 fumble his entire career ... mix that in with the total of 0 sacks and you get ... *drum roll* a playmaker! He's Vernon Gholston without the college stats to back it up ... which is scary.

He's Bob Sanders on a 6'3" frame. What's not to like?

If you looked at Bob Sanders' stat sheet, you wouldn't think he's very good either. But everybody knows how invaluable he is to the Colts defense.

king2am
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Taylor Mays is a winner at the combine because he didn't screw up.

Everyone assumed he was fast. Everyone assumed he could jump. Everyone assumed he was a physical specimen.

Going to Indy and doing/being ANYTHING but those things would have killed his stock.
So what does he do? Confirms all of the great things we thought about him, without having the risk of doing things in question (coverage).

How does he not win?

Babylon
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM
REALLY?!?!?

Let me ask what Deion Sanders clame to fame was (besides being a great kick returner). Answer, nobody threw to his side of the field. Teams worked on SC corners when they had time to throw, they stayed away from the deep middle. Can you tell i like the guy?:)

PossibleCabbage
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
How does he not win?

Taylor Mays doesn't need to prove he's fast and strong to win. In fact, since we already knew he was big, fast, and strong he only stood to lose from combine workouts. He plays big, fast, and strong on film and that stands out in the gym too.

But what hurt him, was the position drills, where he did not look good at all. His backpedal is very slow, when he changes direction he nearly comes to a complete stop, and his ball skills and DB fundamentals are poor. Really, everything that made you wonder about him as a prospect from senior bowl practices, showed up in position workouts too.

So really, Mays is not a winner or a loser from the combine. All it did is confirm what we already suspected: he's faster than he should be for being that big, but he's a much better athlete than football player. He's not going to be a guy who will be immediately ready to dominate in the NFL, he needs a lot of seasoning. Then you wonder, if Carroll couldn't coach this this guy up, who can?

Babylon
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I think Toby Gerhart was a winner. A lot of people i'm sure didnt think he'd outrun guys like Dwyer, Dixon and Blount. He also had a nice 38" vert and a 9-10 jump showing athletecism and explosion. He aces the interviews and his resume is huge so i think he probably got himself bumped a round in the whole process.

Jericho@SC
03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Taylor Mays doesn't need to prove he's fast and strong to win. In fact, since we already knew he was big, fast, and strong he only stood to lose from combine workouts. He plays big, fast, and strong on film and that stands out in the gym too.

But what hurt him, was the position drills, where he did not look good at all. His backpedal is very slow, when he changes direction he nearly comes to a complete stop, and his ball skills and DB fundamentals are poor. Really, everything that made you wonder about him as a prospect from senior bowl practices, showed up in position workouts too.

So really, Mays is not a winner or a loser from the combine. All it did is confirm what we already suspected: he's faster than he should be for being that big, but he's a much better athlete than football player. He's not going to be a guy who will be immediately ready to dominate in the NFL, he needs a lot of seasoning. Then you wonder, if Carroll couldn't coach this this guy up, who can?

Quit hating. Truth is, there was a lot of hype about Mays' speed, and he had many doubters (including probably you). But nobody "knew" that he was 4.3 40 fast except for the guys that had seen and timed him in the 40.

On Tuesday he goes out and actually proves it. The hype is confirmed, and what made Taylor Mays a future millionaire was confirmed. Sounds like a winner to me. If anything, Mays needed to run a fast 40 to save his stock. Too many doubters questioning and nitpicking his game threatened to drop him into the second round

Besides hips, everything he lacks can be taught. You can coach him into a better tackler, coach him to play zone coverage better, coach him to play the ball better.

And coming from an 'SC fan, no, Pete Carroll is not an all world coach. He was .500 in the NFL and there will be plenty of more experienced and knowledgeable coaches that can teach Mays the safety position.

Babylon
03-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Quit hating. Truth is, there was a lot of hype about Mays' speed, and he had many doubters (including probably you). But nobody "knew" that he was 4.3 40 fast except for the guys that had seen and timed him in the 40.

On Tuesday he goes out and actually proves it. The hype is confirmed, and what made Taylor Mays a future millionaire was confirmed. Sounds like a winner to me. If anything, Mays needed to run a fast 40 to save his stock. Too many doubters questioning and nitpicking his game threatened to drop him into the second round

Besides hips, everything he lacks can be taught. You can coach him into a better tackler, coach him to play zone coverage better, coach him to play the ball better.

And coming from an 'SC fan, no, Pete Carroll is not an all world coach. He was .500 in the NFL and there will be plenty of more experienced and knowledgeable coaches that can teach Mays the safety position.

You're right a lot of that stuff can be taught. Cush and Rey Rey were guilty of bad form tackling from time to time also.

Also as for Pete being a 500 coach at the next level that would look pretty good right now here in Seattle.

brasho
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM

Top Winners
3. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn

You can't forget Geno Atkins and Lamar Houston at DT. Both ran very well and looked nimble in drills. Atkins ran like a 265 lb DE at around 4.75 and Houston ran in the low-to-mid 4.8's while both showed they had great work ethic by putting their benches in the 30's. I already have been touting Houston and saying that he had the best bowl game of any DT by far... Atkins was unblockable at the Senior Bowl... I think both guys showed a lot.

CB Chris Cook was thought of as a CB/S tweener but now he is looked at as versatitle after he was among the faster CBs as well as having great size.

vidae
03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm way too lazy to look it up, and you are more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Mays get 3 picks his freshman season and 2 over the course of the next 3 years?

Not trying to knock the kid, but I think he's a tad overrated on these boards.

keylime_5
03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Sporting News List (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-03-02/nfl-combine-winners-and-losers-defense)

Some interesting names on there. Being an OSU homer, I found the comment about Thad Gibson interesting:

they were spot on until the first round part. I expect he'll probably be in that third round mix.

Babylon
03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm way too lazy to look it up, and you are more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Mays get 3 picks his freshman season and 2 over the course of the next 3 years?

Not trying to knock the kid, but I think he's a tad overrated on these boards.

If i were a Mays supporter i'd say they tested him as a freshman then thought better of it later, that would be my response if i were a fan of his.:)

prock
03-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I think interception numbers are vastly overrated for DBs. Darren Sharper gets all the picks in the world, but he gambles all the ******* time and gives up big plays as a result of his picks. Sharper had more picks this year than Bob Sanders has in his career, I believe, but Sanders is undoubtedly a better player. Taylor Mays' numbers don't tell his story.

That being said, he still has a lot to learn. I am not saying he is going to be a great player right away.

vidae
03-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I think interception numbers are vastly overrated for DBs. Darren Sharper gets all the picks in the world, but he gambles all the ******* time and gives up big plays as a result of his picks. Sharper had more picks this year than Bob Sanders has in his career, I believe, but Sanders is undoubtedly a better player. Taylor Mays' numbers don't tell his story.

That being said, he still has a lot to learn. I am not saying he is going to be a great player right away.

That's a fair point, but his lack of interceptions aren't the only knocks on him. It's his ability to play the position in general.

Just sayin. I like him, but not as much as some others. I don't think anyone should touch him in the top 20 personally, but I also want an ILB top 5, so what do I know. :)

JoeJoeBrown
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I agree with the assessment that Mays looks a little stiff, especially in the hips.

(Oh, and is INT stats bother me not one bit. Until his final season no one threw his way.)

However, with his size, strength, and speed, he would be an absolute beast as a hybrid OLB/Safety. Kind of like Palamalu, but with more up front responsibilities than coverage calls.

He's the kind of player Dick LeBeau would have a field day with. As a Browns fan I shudder at the thought of he and Palamalu on the same team.

prock
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
That's a fair point, but his lack of interceptions aren't the only knocks on him. It's his ability to play the position in general.

Just sayin. I like him, but not as much as some others. I don't think anyone should touch him in the top 20 personally, but I also want an ILB top 5, so what do I know. :)

haha yeah mcclain at number 5... good value there...

i hope to god mays falls to the vikes.

yourfavestoner
03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
haha yeah mcclain at number 5... good value there...

i hope to god mays falls to the vikes.

Cover Two safety BEAST.

the_dark_knight
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I've got ya a winner that wasn't listed there. It may seem a little strange but this kid really won @ the combine, without doing anything.

Kyle Wilson - CB - Boise State

You ask how did he win being injured, well, Joe Haden botched the combine, leaving room for Kyle Wilson to possibly surpass him with a good pro day. If he puts up the reported 4.36, then he could take over Haden's spot as the #1 corner in the draft.

Ozzy
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Top Winners
3. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
I buy this list for the most part. Dickerson was a huge winner but like others have said he is listed at 236 which in some ways puts him as a running back, but even those times are good for a running back really. Tate was a huge winner because it made his name get out there, always was a good back but this makes him a far more interesting prospect.

Tebow I would not say was successful, sure he showed he was a good athlete but that was never in question. Good to show he is athletic though, especially if teams want to play with moving him around.

Geathers I was always impressed with because of his size, pretty quick defensive end at 6-7 300, quite amazing really. Could get him in the 3rd round or later.

Gilyard had a disappointing 40 at 4.6, but he can improve on that time and in the game he is a lot faster than that time.

As for Haden running slow, again I bet he runs better later on, and he did fine in the 60 yard shuttle so it was probably just a bad time for him. Does not change the fact he is the best pure corner in the draft.

The Georgia DTs doing well in the bench and the 40 does not do much for me because I was never impressed with their careers are at all at Georgia. They will get picked high though because of those statistics however. Not sure if I am the only one here, just never had been impressed with either of them.

K. Clayton did wonderful, he is one of the biggest winners because he ran a great 40 time when people said he might be slow. That will really help him.

jdcdam1
03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I agree with the assessment that Mays looks a little stiff, especially in the hips.

(Oh, and is INT stats bother me not one bit. Until his final season no one threw his way.)

However, with his size, strength, and speed, he would be an absolute beast as a hybrid OLB/Safety. Kind of like Palamalu, but with more up front responsibilities than coverage calls.

He's the kind of player Dick LeBeau would have a field day with. As a Browns fan I shudder at the thought of he and Palamalu on the same team.

Stiff hips on a DB isnt good...It doesnt matter how fast you are (ex. Jimmy Williams, Va Tech DB, former Falcon)..his change of direction sucked as well...he dropped to the 3rd best S to me..and he has to be a strictly zone S or a OLB..thats not top 15-20..

But Ben Tate, Eric Berry, Dorin Dickerson, and Bruce Campbell helped themselves the most to me

Clarkw267
03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Dwyer's got to be one of the big losers.

His positives coming into the combine were supposed to be his triangle numbers. He was supposed to be a big back with a blend of size and speed...

So much for that....

He weighed in at 229 and looked awful at that weight.

He didn't bench well.

He ran a piss poor 40.

Then he didn't look fluid or quick in the on field drills.

He went from a guy people were talking about for the Chargers in the 1st, to a guy that shouldn't come off the board before the 3rd, and likely got passed up on draft boards by guys like Hardesty, Tate, and Gerhart.

WCH
03-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Gerald McCoy was a definite let-down for a guy who could go #1 overall at DT. At that position, it's NOT impressive to post 23 reps, a 30.5 inch VJ, and a 9.5' BJ.

A couple of years ago I made the same case about Glenn Dorsey's Pro Day (Dorsey's numbers were substantially worse than McCoy's, for those keeping track), and it didn't earn me any friends.

Let me ask what Deion Sanders clame to fame was (besides being a great kick returner). Answer, nobody threw to his side of the field. Teams worked on SC corners when they had time to throw, they stayed away from the deep middle. Can you tell i like the guy?:)

I defer to Wikipedia...

At Florida State University, under head coach Bobby Bowden, Sanders was a two time consensus All-American cornerback in 1986 and 1987, and a third team All-American in 1988, intercepting 14 passes in his career,including three in bowl games, and managed to return one interception 100 yards for a touchdown. He won the Jim Thorpe Award in 1988. He was also a standout punt returner for Florida State, leading the nation in 1988 with his punt return average, and breaking the school's record for career punt return yards. His jersey at Florida State, #2, was retired in 1995.

While playing baseball under head coach Mike Martin, at Florida State, Sanders hit .331 in 1986; he was known more for base stealing, swiping 27 bags in 1987. Sanders would go on to be drafted while in college by the New York Yankees (He also was selected by the Kansas City Royals out of North Fort Myers High School, though he did not sign.)

On one occasion, Sanders played the first game of a baseball doubleheader, ran a leg of a 4x100 relay, then returned to play another baseball game.

What did Mays do to be mentioned in the same breath as Sanders?

And with that said...

I agree with this, both in regards to Mays, and in regards to Sharper. As a Packer fan, I'm glad we can finally agree with Vikings fans about something: Darren Sharper is an overrated gambler who gives up big plays more than any self-respecting point-shaver ever would. It's like the guy gets paid by the interception. I think that you have to watch this guy week and week out to really get how irritating the guy is to have on your team. I don't think that NO fans see this yet, though, because they're still in the honey-moon stage. ;)

Saints-Tigers
03-04-2010, 01:12 AM
If he does exactly what he did this year, every year, we'll keep Sharper forever.

He gambled a lot this year, and we hit the jackpot baby.

Rosebud
03-04-2010, 04:32 AM
If he does exactly what he did this year, every year, we'll keep Sharper forever.

He gambled a lot this year, and we hit the jackpot baby.

Things worked out for him a lot this year, that won't happen every year, he'll level off and miss on more gambles this year.

Anyway I'm going to continue my campaign for James Starks, RB, Buffalo, 6'2" 218 and ran a 4.5 40 coming off a season ending knee injury. I think he's shown that he's got his athleticism back and that the knee won't be a problem. I wonder if he can still save his stock because coming into the year I thought he could become a 2nd rounder just be repeating what he had already done, of course that was then and this is now. I just wonder if he moves up from UDFA/Late rounder to Late/Middle rounder.

batsandgats
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Rosebud;2048032]Things worked out for him a lot this year, that won't happen every year, he'll level off and miss on more gambles this year.

/QUOTE]

He'll level off? Is that why he is tied with Ronnie Lott for career interceptions, 6th all time?

As for nobody throwing May's way, can't he roam the field as a safety?

prock
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=Rosebud;2048032]Things worked out for him a lot this year, that won't happen every year, he'll level off and miss on more gambles this year.

/QUOTE]

He'll level off? Is that why he is tied with Ronnie Lott for career interceptions, 6th all time?

As for nobody throwing May's way, can't he roam the field as a safety?

Don't worry. Sharper was great for us one season and then his gambles failed the next year and we released him. There is a good chance it would happen this way for you guys, which would be fine by me :)

RedVision
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Things worked out for him a lot this year, that won't happen every year, he'll level off and miss on more gambles this year.

Anyway I'm going to continue my campaign for James Starks, RB, Buffalo, 6'2" 218 and ran a 4.5 40 coming off a season ending knee injury. I think he's shown that he's got his athleticism back and that the knee won't be a problem. I wonder if he can still save his stock because coming into the year I thought he could become a 2nd rounder just be repeating what he had already done, of course that was then and this is now. I just wonder if he moves up from UDFA/Late rounder to Late/Middle rounder.

starks is coming off shoulder surgery.

Jimmy
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Combine loser: Bruce Campbell. I'm serious.

It's a lock. Some team is just gonna take the guy way earlier than he needs to go because of the gaudy numbers he put up, and he's going to get drafted and make millions more than he would have. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, huh? Nope. He's gonna suck, and he's gonna be out of the league in 4 years. No technique, so raw. At least if he hadn't performed well he'd be a mid round-late round pick, and he would avoid ever being called a bust. Money can't but happiness, and I'm pretty sure the money Campbell made is going to come hand in hand with a lot of failure and a lot of people calling this guy a bust, further giving "workout warrior" a negative connotation. Because of his combine numbers, he will be remembered. As a colossal bust, and a player that went way higher than his talent should have valued him. And I'm not sure how much money means when NFL fans remember you synonymously with Tony Mandarich (a little strong in comparision as he was the #1 pick, but you get the idea)

You may laugh now, talk to me in 5 years.

Babylon
03-05-2010, 10:32 PM

It's a lock. Some team is just gonna take the guy way earlier than he needs to go because of the gaudy numbers he put up, and he's going to get drafted and make millions more than he would have. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, huh? Nope. He's gonna suck, and he's gonna be out of the league in 4 years. No technique, so raw. At least if he hadn't performed well he'd be a mid round-late round pick, and he would avoid ever being called a bust. Money can't but happiness, and I'm pretty sure the money Campbell made is going to come hand in hand with a lot of failure and a lot of people calling this guy a bust, further giving "workout warrior" a negative connotation. Because of his combine numbers, he will be remembered. As a colossal bust, and a player that went way higher than his talent should have valued him. And I'm not sure how much money means when NFL fans remember you synonymously with Tony Mandarich (a little strong in comparision as he was the #1 pick, but you get the idea)

I actually like your circular logic there, worked for Jamarcus Russell though etting a big contract. As for Mandarich he was the 2nd pick in 89 and played 6 years (2 more than your prediction on Campbell)

TitanHope
03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
He's Bob Sanders on a 6'3" frame. What's not to like?

If you looked at Bob Sanders' stat sheet, you wouldn't think he's very good either. But everybody knows how invaluable he is to the Colts defense.

...Are you smoking again YFS? ;)

KingmanIII
03-06-2010, 06:27 AM
I've got ya a winner that wasn't listed there. It may seem a little strange but this kid really won @ the combine, without doing anything.

Kyle Wilson - CB - Boise State

You ask how did he win being injured, well, Joe Haden botched the combine, leaving room for Kyle Wilson to possibly surpass him with a good pro day. If he puts up the reported 4.36, then he could take over Haden's spot as the #1 corner in the draft.
outbenched all but two RBs and three TEs

KingmanIII
03-06-2010, 06:29 AM

he will lose because he will be drafted by the Raiders

Babylon
03-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Demaryus Thomas is probably a winner by not working out. I would venture to say his 40 wouldnt have been what was expected, now he can focus on running before the draft.

Rosebud
03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
starks is coming off shoulder surgery.

Why the **** did I think he was coming off knee surgery? If it's just shoulder surgery than the kid's going to be even more of a steal. Not only because of great triangle numbers but also because he just knows how to run the football.