PDA

View Full Version : Sean Weatherspoon (Post Combine)

Boston_george
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I haven't really had Weatherspoon on my radar, but after reading about his performance, I'm wondering where he will be taken. I have a buddy that thinks he would be perfect at ILB in a 3-4 system and has him pegged to go to the Patriots. Where should he be taken? And will he ultimately be best suited inside or outside?

DeathbyStat
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Steelers at 18

BaLLiN
03-03-2010, 04:01 PM
i dont know if he'll be good initially, but i think he has the potential to be a decent ILB in the 3-4 but is really a SLB in a 4-3. He has very fluid hips in coverage and tries alot to tip balls and create turnover opportunities which i love. His blitzing is decent, but he could really improve there. He isn't horrible at taking on blockers and working his way through all the crap, but it would be more ideal for him to play outside in a 4-3 so the DL can take on the blocks and He can roam free.

Really he reminds me alot of Jon Beason when he was at the U. Here is a post with both Jon Beason and Sean Weatherspoon's scouting report from Scott.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2006485&#post2006485

Hines
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
If the Steelers pass on him if he's there at 18, I'll cry.

BaLLiN
03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
If the Steelers pass on him if he's there at 18, I'll cry.

get your tissues ready :)

TheMorningZoo
03-03-2010, 04:10 PM
i dont know if he'll be good initially, but i think he has the potential to be a decent ILB in the 3-4 but is really a SLB in a 4-3. He has very fluid hips in coverage and tries alot to tip balls and create turnover opportunities which i love. His blitzing is decent, but he could really improve there. He isn't horrible at taking on blockers and working his way through all the crap, but it would be more ideal for him to play outside in a 4-3 so the DL can take on the blocks and He can roam free.

Really he reminds me alot of Jon Beason when he was at the U. Here is a post with both Jon Beason and Sean Weatherspoon's scouting report from Scott.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2006485&#post2006485

Beason is a great comparison, I think spoon will be good in the 3-4, but could be amazing in the 4-3. Kind of like how some people think Iupati can be a solid RT, but an all-pro OG (I think he is purely an OG, but that's just an opinion).

Go_Eagles77
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
He's one of my favorite prospects in the draft and would be thrilled if the eagles draft him.

BaLLiN
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
actually comparing their combines:

Beason
241 lbs

Weatherspoon
239 lbs

(Couldnt find the rest of Beason's results)

DJC
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I've been a Weatherspoon fan for a while. I think he'll be similar to Jonathan Vilma at the next level. One of the best 4-3 MLBs in the league if he's put there, but can excel at SLB and WLB too. Im sure he could play 3-4 ILB, but not sure if he'll be as great since one of his negatives is his block shedding ability.

RWills
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Weatherspoon to the Giants even over McClain if he is there. Fits perfect with new D-Co dropping in coverage

Thunder&Lightning
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Steelers at 18

just looks like a steeler

Paranoidmoonduck
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, it wouldn't shock me terribly if Weatherspoon winds up being the first linebacker off the board. McClain's stock has come back to earth and bit and Weatherspoon does a lot of stuff better than Rolando. Certainly, how the Giants feel their defense should look moving forward will be a huge deciding factor, as McClain and Weatherspoon would represent very different paths.

Personally, I think Weatherspoon was always a top 20 player, even in a defensive draft this talented. I expected him to run well, but he showed more strength than I thought he would at the combine. Either way, I wouldn't expect him to get by Atlanta, but there's a chance he's there for New England.

Boston_george
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
It seems he really could be a good fit in either system. I was a little surprised he was able to put up 34 reps. I'd like to see his 3-cone numbers to know he has the ability to change directions and cover the whole field. How much different is he than Jerod Mayo? They both have similar height and weight. I believe Mayo ran in the 4.5's, but didn't put up the same bench reps. I remember seeing Mayo at Tenn and saw him making tons of tackles, similar to what I've heard about Weatherspoon.

p.s. I'm a Patriots fan if you can't tell already.

superman
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
maybe as early as #12 to the fins if mcclain is gone?

Boston_george
03-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Im sure he could play 3-4 ILB, but not sure if he'll be as great since one of his negatives is his block shedding ability.

I've heard reports of this. How bad is it? Is it because of his size, does he just get swallowed up?

I'm just wondering because sometimes these negatives just get tacked onto a guy and recapitulated in scouting reports.

BaLLiN
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I've heard reports of this. How bad is it? Is it because of his size, does he just get swallowed up?

I'm just wondering because sometimes these negatives just get tacked onto a guy and recapitulated in scouting reports.

its more of a technique factor IMO although he does not have the greatest size for a LB. Putting him at MLB with poor DT's is a recipe for mediocrity. I feel a similar thing to this happened to DeMeco Ryans, where he shouldve been a SLB but was put at MLB and just accumulated stats.

He's still a guy who will get looks in the teens, but based off of what happened to Beason and DeMeco, id think hed be a mid 20's pick

Hines
03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
get your tissues ready :)

You better take that back! Now!!!

RealityCheck
03-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd say the Giants at #15.

BaLLiN
03-03-2010, 05:53 PM
You better take that back! Now!!!

haha dont you guys have enough talent at LB? share some wealth

rockio42
03-03-2010, 06:12 PM
He will be a better WLB than a MLB, ILB, or SLB...the guy is a prototypical WLB and till destroy from that position although I believe he could be effectively in other rolls as well

holt_bruce81
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Rams at 33..........:(

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/02/combine-winners-and-losers

OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."

lol I totally disagree with this guy, everyone knows I'm a huge Mizzou fan. Just thought it was kind of funny.

RaiderNation
03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Cant see him getting by the Falcons if he is there for them

ATLDirtyBirds
03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I read today that the Falcons love him and read the other day that he wants to be an Atlanta Falcon. Not that means anything, but I think he's ultimately a top 20 pick.

vidae
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM

lol I totally disagree with this guy, everyone knows I'm a huge Mizzou fan. Just thought it was kind of funny.

idk I personally like those guys. The up-tempo, loud, in your face guys. I've seen Spoon play locally for years (I'm from Kansas) and I could not love this kid as a prospect more than I do right now. Any team that drafts him is going to have a stud for years.

Splat
03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I think he could be a good player in a 3-4 and a great player in a 4-3.

the_dark_knight
03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I read today that the Falcons love him and read the other day that he wants to be an Atlanta Falcon. Not that means anything, but I think he's ultimately a top 20 pick.

I've heard the same things, but honestly, the Steelers @ 18 just makes perfect sense for this guy. If the Falcons could pick him up, he could maybe spark a defense that showed life at the end of the year.

themaninblack
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Even though he probably doesn't fill a huge need for us, I would love to grab Spoon in the first. Imagine Keith Rivers at WLB, Maualuga in the Middle, and him on the strong side. Ridiculous I tell you.

Hines
03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
haha dont you guys have enough talent at LB? share some wealth

Farrior is getting old and slowing down and we have no depth.

phlysac
03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
49ers GM Scot McCloughan drafted Patrick Willis in 2006.
He wanted Jerod Mayo to join him in 2007.
When Mayo was gone, he wanted Curtis Lofton in the 2nd.
In 2008, he wanted Rey Mauluga.

It wouldn't shock me if he wants to add Weatherspoon alongside Willis. Especially considering that the only thing they claim missing from Patrick Willis' game is his vocal leadership.

Morton
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
If the 49ers drafted Weatherspoon,they'd have the best linebacking corps in the NFL, I think.

Jakey
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Weatherspoon to the Steelers at 18 = jizz on my moms face.

BaLLiN
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
49ers GM Scot McCloughan drafted Patrick Willis in 2006.
He wanted Jerod Mayo to join him in 2007.
When Mayo was gone, he wanted Curtis Lofton in the 2nd.
In 2008, he wanted Rey Mauluga.

It wouldn't shock me if he wants to add Weatherspoon alongside Willis. Especially considering that the only thing they claim missing from Patrick Willis' game is his vocal leadership.

wouldn't it make more sense to get Rolando?

phlysac
03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
wouldn't it make more sense to get Rolando?

Not if they like Weatherspoon more or McClain is already off the board.

Morton
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM

I personally see Weatherspoon as more of a 4-3 linebacker. Not saying he couldn't find success in a 3-4, but I think he has max potential as a 4-3 MLB.

Ozzy
03-04-2010, 08:43 AM
boston_george I haven't really had Weatherspoon on my radar, but after reading about his performance, I'm wondering where he will be taken. I have a buddy that thinks he would be perfect at ILB in a 3-4 system and has him pegged to go to the Patriots. Where should he be taken? And will he ultimately be best suited inside or outside?
Honestly, you did not have him on your radar? He has been the top linebacker in his class since he was a sophomore in college. The kid has been a stud for quite some time.

Boston_george
03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Honestly, you did not have him on your radar? He has been the top linebacker in his class since he was a sophomore in college. The kid has been a stud for quite some time.

I didn't have him on my radar because I didn't think he could fit into a 3-4. He didn't have the size I'm used to seeing from Patriots MLBs. Obviously, I've seen him play here and there but I never quite followed him like Spikes, McClain, or Micah Johnson who have the prototypical weight.

I didn't realize he was a consensus top 20 talent in the draft really up until his combine performance.

Ozzy
03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I didn't have him on my radar because I didn't think he could fit into a 3-4. He didn't have the size I'm used to seeing from Patriots MLBs. Obviously, I've seen him play here and there but I never quite followed him like Spikes, McClain, or Micah Johnson who have the prototypical weight.

I didn't realize he was a consensus top 20 talent in the draft really up until his combine performance.Understood

Matthew Jones
03-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Interesting that you disagree with an evaluation of Sean Weatherspoon being loud with a signature containing a picture of Sean Weatherspoon being loud. :p

DeathbyStat
03-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Beason is a great comparison, I think spoon will be good in the 3-4, but could be amazing in the 4-3. Kind of like how some people think Iupati can be a solid RT, but an all-pro OG (I think he is purely an OG, but that's just an opinion).

Kinda the same same thing with timmons, really good player but would be great in the 3-4

Morton
03-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Question. How does Weatherspoon compare to Patrick Willis?

I think he did just as well as Willis did at the Combine, no? I think Willis is probably a harder worker and a more high-character guy, but would it be safe to say that Weatherspoon almost as good as Wilis was as a MLB prospect in the draft?

zachsaints52
03-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I've been a Weatherspoon fan for a while. I think he'll be similar to Jonathan Vilma at the next level. One of the best 4-3 MLBs in the league if he's put there, but can excel at SLB and WLB too. Im sure he could play 3-4 ILB, but not sure if he'll be as great since one of his negatives is his block shedding ability.

If you compare him to Vilma then he wouldn't be able to play the ILB of a 3-4 :)

just looks like a steeler

Looks like the new WLB for the Saints!

zachsaints52
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Question. How does Weatherspoon compare to Patrick Willis?

I think he did just as well as Willis did at the Combine, no? I think Willis is probably a harder worker and a more high-character guy, but would it be safe to say that Weatherspoon almost as good as Wilis was as a MLB prospect in the draft?

Willis ran a incredible 40 and is one of the fastest LB's. No one could compare to that..

Morton
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Willis ran a incredible 40 and is one of the fastest LB's. No one could compare to that..

Willis ran in the 4.5 range and so did Weatherspoon.

BaLLiN
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Willis ran in the 4.5 range and so did Weatherspoon.

Willis ran a 4.49, Weatherspoon ran a 4.68

Paranoidmoonduck
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM

And then Willis followed that up with a 4.38 at his pro day.

tenorx
03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I'd love to have him in Pittsburgh, would be a perfect fit, he and Timmons will be awesome.

superman
03-05-2010, 10:00 AM
ouch, mike paulus with a 28.5 vert. was expecting more from a bball player

Unbiased
03-05-2010, 10:05 AM
If the 49ers drafted Weatherspoon,they'd have the best linebacking corps in the NFL, I think.

I personally see Weatherspoon as more of a 4-3 linebacker. Not saying he couldn't find success in a 3-4, but I think he has max potential as a 4-3 MLB.

So why would he be good for San Fran and not Pitt if they both use the 3-4?

BaLLiN
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
ouch, mike paulus with a 28.5 vert. was expecting more from a bball player

its greg paulus, the only reason why he was a good bball player was because of his agility, athleticisim, and he could shoot decently. He really wasnt great at Duke, i dont know why hed go from duke to syracuse, thats just wrong.

BaLLiN
03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
So why would he be good for San Fran and not Pitt if they both use the 3-4?

there are different variations of the 3-4 just like there are different variations of the 4-3

superman
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
its greg paulus, the only reason why he was a good bball player was because of his agility, athleticisim, and he could shoot decently. He really wasnt great at Duke, i dont know why hed go from duke to syracuse, thats just wrong.

yeah i know he wasn't dunking or anything. but that's like a normal person's vertical, not someone trying to be a pro athlete.

stephenson86
03-05-2010, 11:12 AM
tennessee would love to have him

Boston_george
03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
There's quite a variation on where people think he might wind up, as early as 13 (49ers) and as late as 32 (Saints).

Responding to the post about mine, I think he would be a great fit in Tenn. I think they may take a DT or DE with Haynesworth and KVB gone in back to back years.

Boston_george
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Weatherspoon's pro day was yesterday. There isn't a list of teams that attended. I assume it was almost all of them, but there are reports he ran in the low 4.5s.

Weatherspoon (6-foot-1 1/4, 239 pounds), a senior, has a well-established reputation. But as well as he played at Missouri, he looked even better running drills Thursday, running a 4.53 and 4.52 40-yard dash and posting 35 bench press reps.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/04/weatherspoon-stands-out-at-missouri-pro-day/

ATLDirtyBirds
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Sean Weatherspoon and his golden shoes run for NFL scouts at Thursday's MU pro day.
Having just worked out for NFL teams on Monday at the Scouting Combine, Sean Weatherspoon could have sat out Thursday’s pro day inside Missouri’s Devine Pavilion. Instead, he had a score to settle with the stopwatch.

"All the reviews I got at the combine was that I did what I needed to do," the former MU linebacker said. "But, me personally, I wasn’t satisfied with my 40 time. So I wanted to come out here today and run it on my home turf and maybe do a little better."

He did just that. After clocking 40-yard dash times in the 4.5 and 4.6-second range in Indianapolis, Weatherspoon was timed in the 4.4s on Thursday, specifically 4.43 by a scout from Green Bay and 4.48 by a representative from Atlanta. Weatherspoon also set a personal-record in the bench press, lifting 225 pounds 35 times, one more rep than he managed in Indy where he had the second-best total among linebackers.

I’ll have much more on Weatherspoon and his NFL journey in Friday’s Tribune, including his thoughts on some recent unflattering anonymous comments made by an NFL executive. (Long story short, he disagrees, as does everyone he’s talked to employed by NFL franchises.)

If anything, Weatherspoon might have scored points with scouts by working out at MU when he could have been a spectator.

"I had originally planned not to do the bench press, but when I saw other guys competing and all my teammates in there, I said, 'I got to get under there.' That was my motivation to do that. … You definitely get points for that."

Weatherspoon said he has had formal interviews with 21 teams and expects to line up some private workouts with clubs in the coming weeks. He’s hoping to fall somewhere between the draft’s No. 15 overall pick (owned by the New York Giants) and No. 34, the second pick of the second round, held by Detroit. Anything lower, he said, will be disappointing.

Weatherspoon said he feels best about his meetings with Atlanta, Denver, New England and New Orleans, among others. He also interviewed with Cleveland’s brass, including linebackers coach Matt Eberflus, MU’s former defensive coordinator and the coach who recruited Weatherspoon out of Jasper, Texas. Teams that run a 3-4 defense told Weatherspoon they like him as an inside linebacker, while 4-3 teams like him at either the middle or weakside position, the place he played most of his college career.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/behind-the-stripes/2010/mar/04/spoon-shines-for-nfl-scouts/

Morton
03-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I want the Eagles to get this guy so bad.

scottyboy
03-06-2010, 02:23 PM
remember when I gave Spoon to the Steelers in my mock like 2 months ago and got yelled at for it. yea.

Sveen
03-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I've had him high on my wish list all season. Still hoping he's there at #32, even though it's not very likely.

FUNBUNCHER
03-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Spoon ran an unofficial 4.59 at the combine.
I still haven;t seen the math on how those 40 times are 'adjusted'. I bet most teams timed him in the 4.5 range. Speed is a big part of Spoon's overall game.

EDIT: After reading about Weatherspoon's performance at Mizzou's Pro Day, unless McClain really tears it up at his own pro day workout, Spoon has a great opportunity to be the first ILB off the board, even more so if McClain runs ridiculously slow...4.75 or worse.
Combine 40 times suck(!).

Dark Knight01
03-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, can someone tell me why Spoon is NOT considered a top 12 talent overall and is just barely proving he is a late 1st round pick??

The rankings are bull crap thats why. He is the speed, the power, natural leadership ability, and versatility to play the MIKE or ILB positions and play the OLB positions. He fills the gaps versus the run, sheds blocks well, can pursue sideline to sideline, can cover and can blitz with ease. One of the best LB prospects I have seen personally. He is a beast at 6'2, 245, with 4.5-4.6 40 and has a great fun, yet nasty attitude at times who loves the physical nature of the game!

Sooooo..please tell me why he should fall to the back end of the 1st round to where all the good teams in the NFL will be drafting??

Yeah right!

If I was a team drafting in the top 12....I would look to snag him before the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Fins, Bolts, Indy or Saints even get a freakin SNIFF of him at the back end of the 1st Round!

BaLLiN
03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Spoon ran an unofficial 4.59 at the combine.
I still haven;t seen the math on how those 40 times are 'adjusted'. I bet most teams timed him in the 4.5 range. Speed is a big part of Spoon's overall game.

EDIT: After reading about Weatherspoon's performance at Mizzou's Pro Day, unless McClain really tears it up at his own pro day workout, Spoon has a great opportunity to be the first ILB off the board, even more so if McClain runs ridiculously slow...4.75 or worse.
Combine 40 times suck(!).

I agree, Weatherspoon's game has alot to do with his speed, and the official 4.68 doesnt represent that well. I dont believe the 4.48 however he ran at his pro day, id probably agree he can run a 4.53 on the previous combine surface.

McClain really shouldnt be that awful, I dont think he's anywhere near Weatherspoon but a 4.7 is certainly do-able. His game however doesnt depend on speed, he puts himself and others in position to make plays, it is very indicative of Ray Lewis. Ray doesnt have the speed or agility anymore but his instincts and decision making allow him to make the plays necessary. He's still a Top 15 prospect, but more likely to land in Denver or San Fransisco.

Weatherspoon for me is still a guy who's value is around 20-25, but compares very well to Jon Beason. Both were man beasts for their teams, and both were good in coverage, Beason however was probably better blitzing and better at reading the run and making quick decisions. Likely to go to the giants if not could fall all the way to the eagles IMO.

BaLLiN
03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah, can someone tell me why Spoon is NOT considered a top 12 talent overall and is just barely proving he is a late 1st round pick??

The rankings are bull crap thats why. He is the speed, the power, natural leadership ability, and versatility to play the MIKE or ILB positions and play the OLB positions. He fills the gaps versus the run, sheds blocks well, can pursue sideline to sideline, can cover and can blitz with ease. One of the best LB prospects I have seen personally. He is a beast at 6'2, 245, with 4.5-4.6 40 and has a great fun, yet nasty attitude at times who loves the physical nature of the game!

Sooooo..please tell me why he should fall to the back end of the 1st round to where all the good teams in the NFL will be drafting??

Yeah right!

If I was a team drafting in the top 12....I would look to snag him before the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Fins, Bolts, Indy or Saints even get a freakin SNIFF of him at the back end of the 1st Round!

Well to point out a few things:

-Really not ideal for the 3-4, doesnt take on blockers well although he is very good at working through trash which would make sense for a 4-3 scheme so he would have some room to work

-Doesnt make quick decisions in reading the line, however has very good instincts vs the pass and is a manimal when he does make quick reads.

-Isnt great at blitzing, but is serviceable.

-Might be too aggressive for his own good, had shoulder surgery.

That said, he could be even better than Beason at the next level with a good DL infront of him, 3-4 would be brutal for him, thats why teams in a 3-4 should stay away whereas teams for a 4-3 could jump for him because of his versatility.

Hines
03-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Spoon will be a Pittsburgh Steeler!

Supporting Caste
03-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Weatherspoon to the Giants.

No way is he not the first LB selected (non 3-4 OLB, anyway) IMO.

scottyboy
03-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Spoon will be a Pittsburgh Steeler!

shut up hines. i was one of the first to mock him there and you didn't like it! you suck

Hines
03-06-2010, 04:38 PM
shut up hines. i was one of the first to mock him there and you didn't like it! you suck

I didn't like it at first. Then I started watching more film and read up on him more and he was a Pittsburgh Steeler type of linebacker.

BaLLiN
03-06-2010, 04:44 PM
I didn't like it at first. Then I started watching more film and read up on him more and he was a Pittsburgh Steeler type of linebacker.

He's not really going to fit you guys, cant blitz well, doesnt take on blockers well, i dont see how that equates to a 3-4 or a Pittsburg Steeler.

Supporting Caste
03-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Why would he make it past New York at 15?

scottyboy
03-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Why would he make it past New York at 15?

the more I think about it, he really shouldn't. Who knows? Depends on what Reese&Co think about him, but for our system and how abysmal our D was last year and safety being sured up with Rolle, it makes so much sense.

Osi-Canty-Alford(?)-Tuck
Boley-Spoon-Sintim(?)
Webster-Rolle-KP-Thomas/Ross

yea, I like that a lot. Gives us speed and playmaking on D.

DJC
03-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Just throwing this out there, but anyone else think with his combine/pro day performances, he could be a sleeper at #8? I'd say he has better value than DHB atleast.

BaLLiN
03-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Just throwing this out there, but anyone else think with his combine/pro day performances, he could be a sleeper at #8? I'd say he has better value than DHB atleast.

No, his combine was not eye opening at all, it just was all around a very good workout.

Morton
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
the more I think about it, he really shouldn't. Who knows? Depends on what Reese&Co think about him, but for our system and how abysmal our D was last year and safety being sured up with Rolle, it makes so much sense.

Osi-Canty-Alford(?)-Tuck
Boley-Spoon-Sintim(?)
Webster-Rolle-KP-Thomas/Ross

yea, I like that a lot. Gives us speed and playmaking on D.

Well, it's pretty much a lock at this point: The Giants are either getting McClain or Weatherspoon in the first round. It all depends on who they like better in their system.

BaLLiN
03-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, it's pretty much a lock at this point: The Giants are either getting McClain or Weatherspoon in the first round. It all depends on who they like better in their system.

Its really far from a lock, but its a major possiblity that we go Weatherspoon, I really doubt we go after McClain if we're running a Tampa two type system.

Morton
03-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Its really far from a lock, but its a major possiblity that we go Weatherspoon, I really doubt we go after McClain if we're running a Tampa two type system.

I'm just saying - they signed a safety in free agency, so I doubt they spend a first rounder on Earl Thomas... and their other big need is @ LB. So I'll be shocked if they don't choose one of the best LBs this year - and the two best are Weatherspoon and McClain.

BaLLiN
03-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm just saying - they signed a safety in free agency, so I doubt they spend a first rounder on Earl Thomas... and their other big need is @ LB. So I'll be shocked if they don't choose one of the best LBs this year - and the two best are Weatherspoon and McClain.

Yeah thats the correct thought process, especially with the reliance on coverage MLB's in the Tampa 2, but Tampa 2 also really relies on DT play to stop the run, so it really wouldnt be out of the question that we go DT although its really not good value IMO.

A whole other thing is BPA, which is just unpredictable due to circumstances, which would be OT or DE which is highly unlikely to happen.

Hines
03-06-2010, 11:19 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tov-OBOTzF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tov-OBOTzF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I know the Steelers make their rookies sing and from what I understand, they sound horrible. If Spoon goes to the Steelers, maybe he'd win some of his vet teamates over.

Dark Knight01
03-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Well to point out a few things:

-Really not ideal for the 3-4, doesnt take on blockers well although he is very good at working through trash which would make sense for a 4-3 scheme so he would have some room to work

-Doesnt make quick decisions in reading the line, however has very good instincts vs the pass and is a manimal when he does make quick reads.

-Isnt great at blitzing, but is serviceable.

-Might be too aggressive for his own good, had shoulder surgery.

That said, he could be even better than Beason at the next level with a good DL infront of him, 3-4 would be brutal for him, thats why teams in a 3-4 should stay away whereas teams for a 4-3 could jump for him because of his versatility.

Nah.....there is no way in hell he lasts past the 15th or 16th pick and he will be long gone before the Steelers, Ravens, or Pats will even get a sniff of him.

Flyboy
03-07-2010, 04:23 AM
I've had him high on my wish list all season. Still hoping he's there at #32, even though it's not very likely.

Don't remind me. :(