PDA

View Full Version : Mismanagement of the Roster

Boston_george
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Is it just me or is there a consensus that Belicheck/Reese really mismanaged the roster last season?

After pissing away David Thomas for a conditional 7th rounder we are now in the market for a TE. Thomas had a history of injury problems, but was still projected to make the team. In fact he had been playing FB in short yardage situations all pre-season. At worst he spent another season dealing with injuries and would be RFA this offseason, where we currently only have one TE. I didn't think there was any logic to basically giving him away. Same thing with Greg Lewis. After giving up picks to get him we just gave him the boot at training camp. It feel twice as bad considering the Pats are thin at both positions. I just didn't see any rhyme or reason to the way the roster was constructed.

Razor
03-04-2010, 03:53 AM
You're forgetting Alex Smith. BB spend a fifth rounder on him and released him as well. I do think that last year wasn't the best for BB, but please remember that the players released didn't contribute to the team. I don't know why, but none of them seemed to understand the system in NE. I'm fine with what they did, but it just didn't work out this time around. Whenever you sign somebody there's always a risk - last year BB just missed on some guys. It's OK, one year doesn't mean that they don't know what they're doing. I have very high hopes for this off season..

FlyingElvis
03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Last year was pretty ugly, but Thomas is the only guy who really translates into "mismanagement of the roster." But even his movement was understandable. The kid wouldn't know a block if it was made of wood and had a letter stamped on each side.

Greg Lewis sucked. He wasn't a great pick up in the first place but last year the draft was very thin and I don't think the 5th round pick would have netted any player who would have stuck on the roster.

The Alex Smith trade . . . well, I liked it at the time and hoped that Smith's lack of development was due to the relative lack of talent around him in Tampa. Big miss? Sure, but they happen.

Overall, I think Razor hit it dead on. Last year was rough but that was one really bad year, so let's not get too antsy. But we need to see a bounce back year in 2010 or we could be seeing a drastic drop off with Pioli moving to KC.

Patriots_QB_12
03-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Its disappointing to see all these guys being released and resulting in problems. We've had secondary problems since the release of Samuel and Hobbs, linebacker problems since Vrabel was released (and Bruschi retiring didnt help either but they couldnt stop that) pass rush problems since Seymour was traded, and the list does go on.

Free Agency has dont nothing for the Pats either, they've signed a few key players back, but as for acquiring new talent? nothing. They signed Murrell from the Jets but that doesnt answer anything. Maybe they are waiting for the draft? I dont know.

Bigburt63
03-17-2010, 07:47 PM
I'd rather not sign anybody new if they are not worth the money. Also, the pass rush issues, while definitely hindered somewhat because of the Seymour trade, were not a result of the trade itself. Yes Seymour commanded double teams when healthy, but that is as a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE. The pass rush problems were there the year before.

Boston_george
03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Greg Lewis sucked. He wasn't a great pick up in the first place but last year the draft was very thin and I don't think the 5th round pick would have netted any player who would have stuck on the roster.

The Alex Smith trade . . . well, I liked it at the time and hoped that Smith's lack of development was due to the relative lack of talent around him in Tampa. Big miss? Sure, but they happen.

They just kept almost everyone of their picks from last years draft and you're gonna say a 5th wouldn't have netted anything? Greg Lewis wasn't a starter but the fact is we were starting Julian Edelman in week 2 and Sam Aiken for a good portion of the season. I think it's a very good possibility Lewis would have been much more productive than Aiken at the least. In fact we had to bring in Stanback for depth. It was really a bad decision to just cut Lewis.

descendency
03-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Did everyone forget that Derrick Burgess is no longer on the team...

That was a wasted 3rd rounder. Sadly, that was a complete waste.

FlyingElvis
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Did everyone forget that Derrick Burgess is no longer on the team...

That was a wasted 3rd rounder. Sadly, that was a complete waste.

Yeah, after re-reading this the other day, I realized the question was only pertaining to last year. It was definitely a terrible job overall. Burgess, Alex Smith, Thomas, the Greg Lewis trade. All of them were pretty atrocious moves.

But hindsight is 20:20. The only move I hated at the time was Lewis. The rest I understood and though were reasonable.

Don Vito
03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
This year was one big duff as far as personnel moves are concerned. This year has started off on the right foot with the retaining of Vince, though. We need to stop getting cute with the draft and build up our trenches and our pass rush, that is how we won games during our best years.

FlyingElvis
03-23-2010, 09:09 AM
This year was one big duff as far as personnel moves are concerned. This year has started off on the right foot with the retaining of Vince, though. We need to stop getting cute with the draft and build up our trenches and our pass rush, that is how we won games during our best years.

Well, that and Ty Law.

:D

descendency
03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Well, that and Ty Law.

:D

OMG! Ty Law!! Oh wait... it's not 2003. :rolleyes:

Don Vito
03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Ty Law was my hero. Jermaine Wiggins too.

Jay
03-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't think it was mismanagement. Tell me another time when every single move a team made completely blew up in their face. That is pretty much what happened. They made the move based on very careful scouting and projections and it just didn't work. There's really not much you can do.

Matthew Jones
03-26-2010, 05:44 AM
I agree with the assessment that New England pretty much blew it when it came to scouting their own players last year. We traded away a few too many draft picks for veterans who didn't really contribute. I wasn't a big fan of the Burgess trade, and I definitely didn't like getting rid of Greg Lewis and Alex Smith. Considering how much Belichick likes tight ends, you'd think he could find a few good ones. He spent a first-round pick on Watson, who never really developed, and going into the year we had signed Chris Baker, traded for Alex Smith, and kept David Thomas as a holdover (who we spent a third-round pick on.) A year later, we had let Watson leave in free agency, cut Baker, cut Smith before the season, and traded Thomas for a seventh-round pick. I'm starting to think it might be time for Belichick to fork over one of those second-round picks for a proven tight end. Bo Scaife, Greg Olsen, Owen Daniels, and Tony Scheffler might all be available so those are guys they should probably think about trading for.

nepg
03-26-2010, 08:22 AM
I agree with the assessment that New England pretty much blew it when it came to scouting their own players last year. We traded away a few too many draft picks for veterans who didn't really contribute. I wasn't a big fan of the Burgess trade, and I definitely didn't like getting rid of Greg Lewis and Alex Smith. Considering how much Belichick likes tight ends, you'd think he could find a few good ones. He spent a first-round pick on Watson, who never really developed, and going into the year we had signed Chris Baker, traded for Alex Smith, and kept David Thomas as a holdover (who we spent a third-round pick on.) A year later, we had let Watson leave in free agency, cut Baker, cut Smith before the season, and traded Thomas for a seventh-round pick. I'm starting to think it might be time for Belichick to fork over one of those second-round picks for a proven tight end. Bo Scaife, Greg Olsen, Owen Daniels, and Tony Scheffler might all be available so those are guys they should probably think about trading for.
They need to just stop acquiring TEs. It's not that they can't find a good one, it's that they horde a bunch of good ones and don't use them... Then lose/get rid of them at a loss.

Don Vito
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM

Olsen or Daniels would be amazing, I would have no problem with giving up a second rounder for a TE who has proven he can get it done in the NFL. However, if Gresham or Gronkowski fell to the second round I wouldn't be upset at all if we took one of them either. They are clearly the top two prospects at the position and I think they both will be impact players, but a vet may be the better option because they are both unproven in the NFL and coming off big injuries.