PDA

View Full Version : Updated Needs

Bengals78
03-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Havent seen a team needs thread in awhile. With FA coming up, thought Id make a new one for all the mockers out there. I get tired of searching through for team needs the later a mock goes....

Post your teams needs and order with reasons if possible.

Cincinnati
1. Safety - We really need a playmaking S and if Earl Thomas is there, he would be the pick.
2. WR - Chad is our only good one, we need a big play guy and a vertical threat.
3. Tight End - High on the needs list but the front office has said it wont be addressed early, if at all in the draft.
4. DT - An inside pass rusher. No big fatties, we have our run stoppers. We need guys who can collapse the pocket.
5. DE - Odom is hurt too much and we need to upgrade over Geathers.
6. OL - Guard will be an issue if Bobbie Williams isnt resigned we need depth especially OG.

Mr.Regular
03-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Packers
1) LT- Protecting Aaron Rodgers blindside should be priority #1.
2) CB- Young talent is needed desperately. The team lacks depth at corner and the starters are both quite old.
3) SS- Atari Bigby is almost always hurt and even when healthy he's only mediocre.
4) RB- A bit of a luxury pick, but a speedy compliment to Ryan Grant would work wonders for this offense
5) OLB- Clay Matthews is a stud on one side, but there are some question marks opposite him. Kampman may not be back, and Brad Jones flashed some potential but still was only a 7th round pick.

SloppyJoe
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

DT
The biggest need by far is DT. We had Hovan ans Sims starting for us. Man that was horrible.

DE
A pass rushing DE. I have hopes that Kyle Moore, who we draftet last year in the 4th round, can develope in a good base LE. so the need is a pass rushing DE

WR
A true #1 WR. we have a young talent in sammy stroughter who could be a pretty good #2 WR, but what we need is a TRUE #1 WR

CB
Talib is fantastic. Barber played decent last year, but is what 55years old ;). Albert Mack can maybe develope in a nickel back maybe, but thats all for him. The need is Corner to play on the other side of Talib.

SS
Tanrad Jackson is an absolutely beast at FS, what we need is an in the box Strong-Safety

DiG
03-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Redskins

1. OT - Chris Samuels has officially retired as expected. Levi Jones is an UDFA and was mediocre at best throughout last season. Heyer was easily one of the worst starting tackles in the NFL and there are no other tackles even on the roster.

2. C - Rabach is an UDFA who wants more money than hes worth. The Skins already offered him a deal which he turned down.

3. FS - Landry is obviously a much better fit at SS but moving him leads an empty void at FS. Several trade rumors already this offseason have revolved around bringing in or trading out safeties.

4. NT or DE? We havent heard yet if the Skins will try Haynesworth at NT or DE in the 3-4. He probably would prefer to play DE but theres no one else really on the roster to play NT. Even if he does play NT none of our other DL players have any 3-4 experience and griffin is really old.

5. RB - Need a playmaker to share duties with Portis who is coming off a big injury and will be 1 year away from the dreaded 3-0.

Honorable Mention - QB, 3-4 OLB, OG

vidae
03-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Kansas City Chiefs

1. ILB
2. Safety
3. Interior OL
4. OLB
5. NT
6. WR

Stranger
03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Cardinals

1. ILB. It looks like Dansby is gone and behind him is the journeymen Beisel who we cut last year, then the inside linebacker needy Chiefs cut him and then we took him back when we suffered injuries.

2. OLB. Our projected starters are 33 year old Clark Haggans and rookie from last year Brown who was on IR the entire season. The coaching staff is high on fellow rookie Davis but he is a 6th round pick who also missed the end of the year with injuries. We signed CFLer Baggs as well but who knows what to expect from him. Note: This may change if Porter ends up signing with us.

3. FS. If Rolle is gone the team will probably give last years 3rd round pick Johnson a chance but he was terrible last year.

4. OT. Gandy was average and now he is a free agent. Leinart is going to need solid protection. Preferably a LT but there is some talk about moving Brown across to LT so RT is not out of the question.

5. NT. Most important position in the 3-4, our starter is 36 and a free agent. His backups have been average up until this point.

Honoralbe Mention - CB, TE, C, QB

Go_Eagles77
03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Philadelphia Eagles

1. DE
2. FS
3. LB
4. CB
5. RB
6. OG/C
7. DT
8. QB
9. TE
10. WR

Our 1st round pick should be the BPA of the top 4 positions.

akvikefan89
03-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Vikings:

1. Safety (Tyrell Johnson is awful, Madieu Williams has been a let-down)
2. Quarterback (Favre uncertainty and bums behind him)
3. Cornerback (Aging/injuries deplete our secondary)
4. Defensive Tackle (Run stuffer... NOT an UT like Brian Price, we have Kevin Williams)
5. Center/Guard (Sullivan is meh and Herrara needs to be replaced)

vikes_28
03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Vikings:

4. Defensive Tackle (Run stuffer... NOT an UT like Brian Price, we have Kevin Williams)

I would make my list like this...

Safety
Defensive Tackle
Quarterback
Cornerback
Guard

XxXdragonXxX
03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Seahawks;

1. OT- Jones might retire, but even if he doesn't he's probably in for another injury ridden season.

2. QB- Hasselbeck MAYBE has 1 year left, Seneca is not a starting QB.

3. S- Babineaux is not a starter, Grant is old and needs to be replaced.

4. DE- Kerney is done, Tapp and Jackson are average.

5. OG- Rob Sims has a good year last year, but with Unger moving to center, another guard is needed.

6. DT- Mebane is great, but the rest are average at best.

7. CB- Trufant had a terrible year and Jennings sucks. Josh Wilson is one of my favorite players though.

8. RB- Forsett needs somebody to share carries with.

9. WR- Our best WR is a free agent. TJ hasnt lived up to the hype. Branch sucks. Butler shows potential but isnt there yet.

Yep pretty much everything but TE, LB and C....

RaiderNation
03-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Raiders
1 LT(moving back to power blocking scheme)
2 DT
3 LB
4 OG
5 CB
6 DE

Grizzlegom
03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Phins:
1. ILB
2. OLB
3. WR
4. NT
5. TE
6. FS

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Colts
1 DT
2 OL
3 DE
4 LB
5 S
6 CB

diabsoule
03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Saints

NT - Someone that can help stop the run while also having the ability to collapse the pocket.
OLB - Fujita and Shanle are serviceable but nothing special.
DE - Charles Grant is not earning the big paycheck he's receiving.
C - While Goodwin made the Pro-Bowl he can be upgraded.
CB - If Malcom Jenkins takes Darren Sharper's spot at FS then we need a legit nickelback.
RB - A short-yardage back that can grind out the tough goal-line yards.
QB - A backup to groom behind Brees.

timewaster
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Jets

DE/DT
CB
S
Slot WR
RB

Draft King
03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Falcons:

CB
DE
OLB
C
TE

DI
03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Giants

1. MLB

- Pierce is gone and really wasn't that good the past couple of years anyway as age and injuries crept in. Blackburn and Goff filled in but aren't long term solutions.

2. DT

- Fred Robbins is done. His knees are shot and his contract is up. Rocky Bernard was a complete bust last season and I believe will be cut this off-season. Chris Canty was most hurt last season but I believe will be an asset when fully healthy and Barry Coefield is a young, solid yet unspectacular player who is more of a rotational player, as if Jay Alford, who was on IR all of last season.

3. Safety

- Michael Johnson and CC Brown were absolutely abysmal last season, as was Aaron Rouse when acquired and Aaron Ross didn't exactly set the world on fire when we had him play some safety as well last season. Kenny Phillips is a stud if healthy and we need someone else to play next to him.

4. OL

- Our offensive line has been our bread and butter the past 4 years but age is starting to creep in, along with some injuries. Kareem McKenzie got hurt this past season and is getting no younger as well and while David Diehl has been sufficient at LT, he'd be better kicking inside to guard and letting us move Beatty to LT, making Richie Seubert a utility lineman. Also, it wouldn't hurt to get younger as O'Hara is getting any younger and I will flip if I have to see Kevin Boothe anywhere near this offensive line this season.

5. RB

- I don't know what it is. Maybe it was injuries we didn't know about. Maybe it was lack of a push up front or maybe he just didn't have the same fire but Brandon Jacobs wasn't himself this season and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him one more season because we did give him a nice contract but he's got to prove himself this season. We don't know if Bradshaw would be able to carry the load and Danny Ware found himself in the doghouse at the end of the year. The wildcard here is Andre Brown, our rookie from NC State who spent the year on IR. If he can come back healthy and strong, this kid has a lot of talent but until proven, running back is a position to keep an eye on for this team.

phlysac
03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
My opinion of top-10 needs

San Francisco 49ers

1. Right Tackle
2. Offensive Guard
3. Cornerback/Strong Safety
4. Return Man
5. Change of Pace RB
6. 3-4 TED
7. Slot WR
8. Blocking TE
9. 3-4 OLB
10. 3-4 NT

BaLLiN
03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
With a new DC, we are in the blue as far as needs and how important each is so i think this is appropriate

Tier One:
MLB and Safety

AP is gone, KP might be done forever although we wont know until he actually plays, Goff and Michael Johnson seem to be average replacements and ontop of that another LB and/or safety may need to be added anyway.

Tier Two:

NT

Its clear our run defense sucks weiner, and most knowledgeable giants fans believe that we need a true run stuffer, a double team eater to allow LB's to roam free and DE's to receive one on one's.

Tier Three:

C/G/RT and DE

The line is getting old and last year seemed like they took a step backward in the run game. Osi is unhappy, and it is uncertain how he will recover from a down year.

Tier Four

Runningback and Fullback

Hedgecock is not an athlete, not having the ability to have a capable receiver and rusher in certain situations. Brandon Jacobs is gradually becoming less effective, Bradshaw is not a feature back just yet or maybe ever, Andre Brown is recovering from an ACL, Danny Ware hasn't proved anything despite being concidered a possible surprise.

Tier Five

Cornerback or Punter

Aaron Ross is what, 28? Terrell Thomas is young, Corey Webster is 29 or so and perfectly capable, otherwise there is a large dropoff in depth and Kevin Dockery may be departing via FA. Feagles looked his age this past year, he doesnt have the distance, and he's slowly losing his touch and consistency.

bored of education
03-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Kansas City Chiefs

1. 34 OLB
2. Guard
3. Center
4. Safety
5. 34 Inside Linebacker
6. NT
7. Wide Receiver

prock
03-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Vikings:

I would make my list like this...

Safety
Defensive Tackle
Quarterback
Cornerback
Guard

I would prefer vikes list better, but only I would put quarterback at number one and move safety and DT down a little bit.

Abaddon
03-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Raiders
LT
C
RG
RT

FB

DT
RE
MLB
SAM
CB

Starters needed at all listed positions.

Poz51
03-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Havent seen a team needs thread in awhile. With FA coming up, thought Id make a new one for all the mockers out there. I get tired of searching through for team needs the later a mock goes....

Buffalo Bills
Priority is debatable in Bills circles, but IMO these are the needs.

1a - Left Tackle - Bell is a project who has shown flashes of potential, but mostly that he can commit penelties and get injured, Meredith showed potential last year and improved at RT, and should start there this year. After that its mostly career back-ups, and street walkers. Depth need.
For me this is the position that helps the team the most moving forward.

1b - Quarterback - Fitzpatrick is a competent back up and spot starter, but not an elite QB, lacking accuracy. Edwards is fragile, and injury prone, has a weak arm, and is does not fit the mold of what the coaching staff is looking for. Brohm is an unknown, fits the system based on college experience, has good arm strength but not sure about accuracy. Gailey has stated they want a QB with arm strength.

2 - Nose Tackle - Switch to the 3-4 means NT is priority #1 to make it successful. Currently Marcus Stroud is the leading canadate to start, and not exactly a willing participant, after watching him get pushed around ALOT last season... They signed Marlon Favorite, but he spent time with 4(?) teams last year. If Mt. Cody is there is the second round, I could not see them passing on him.

3 - Outside Linebacker - 3-4 switch should be good for Aaron Maybin, but on the other side there really is no viable option, Aaron Schobel probably wont want to switch positions at 33, and is contemplating retirement. After that it is real iffy who would be able to make the transition, especially as a pass rusher. They do have Nic Harris who played well down the stretch before getting injured, and Keith Ellison who was a very competent back up, but neither seem to project well to the 3-4.

4 - Wide Reciever - After Lee Evans there is currently James Hardy who is coming off an injury and is unproven, Steve Johnson who has shown potential but unproven, and Roscoe Parrish who has been under utilized the last two years. With the depth at WR in this draft would expect this to be addressed at some point, probably not early.

5 - Inside Linebacker - K. Mitchell could be the thumper they need next to Puzloszny, but he is coming off an injury, so he is iffy. No depth to speak of in regard to a 3-4 defense.

6 - Value - This team can not reach, like it has done in the past, it needs players who can come in and contribute right away, luxury picks should be the last thing this team takes in the draft.

Honorable Mention: 3-4 DE, 5 tech (I think Kyle Williams can handle it, most do not).
Depth: T, WR, ILB, OLB, TE, RB, NT, DE's.
Not Needed: Secondary, the Bills are deep at corner and safety.

bigfreak314
03-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

DT
The biggest need by far is DT. We had Hovan ans Sims starting for us. Man that was horrible.

DE
A pass rushing DE. I have hopes that Kyle Moore, who we draftet last year in the 4th round, can develope in a good base LE. so the need is a pass rushing DE

WR
A true #1 WR. we have a young talent in sammy stroughter who could be a pretty good #2 WR, but what we need is a TRUE #1 WR

CB
Talib is fantastic. Barber played decent last year, but is what 55years old ;). Albert Mack can maybe develope in a nickel back maybe, but thats all for him. The need is Corner to play on the other side of Talib.

SS
Tanrad Jackson is an absolutely beast at FS, what we need is an in the box Strong-Safety

Totally agree although I would like to add some depth on the OL as well..... It wouldnt be a bad thing if we went after a Aaron Kaupman either

bigfreak314
03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
THE ST LOUIS RAMS

***This does not show the order of which the Rams will go into the draft or the order of importance****

QB - Buldger has been taking a beating through the past 3 years and no longer is the QB he used to be in a QB driven league.

DT - Yes the Rams have spent a lot of time investing in draft picks here but all it takes is one beast to solidify the D Line rotation with young up and comers Carriker and Ryan

WR - The Rams are sevierly lacking playmakers on the outside, Avery flashes potential but not to the level of a Desean Jackson who was also availible when they picked him 2 years ago.

OG - They cut Incognito probably will draft one in the later rounds but watch out if OG Igutipi slides to the 2nd round, which I doubt

CB - The pass defense was beat early and often

RB - The Ram's have a workhorse in Stephen Jackson, but he get's hurt playing behind that OL and quality depth is badly missing

thebow305
03-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Phins:
1. ILB
2. OLB
3. WR
4. NT
5. TE
6. FS

This is pretty accurate. It's pretty strange though, besides Tight End, I feel like all these needs are our top needs. I think you can really put a 1A-1E on everyone of these. I don't see any of these being a priority over the other.

If I had to though, I'd probably go in this order:

1. FS (Gibril was that bad last year. We need a true Free Safety BAD!)
2. WR (Our whole offense/Chad Henne could go to a new level with a real #1)
3. NT (I think this REALLY depends on whether stalwart Jason Ferguson returns. If he doesn't I think this could fault to #1)
4. ILB (Akin has really declined and Crowder still leaves a LOT to be desired in the middle, thus a real playmaker is needed here.)
5. OLB (Same with NT, this becomes a little bigger need if Jason Taylor isn't brought back. But Porter will be gone and Cam Wake is still developing.)
6. TE (Fasano hasn't developed as fast as we had hoped, so some competition needs to be brought in with good receiving skills. Same as WR, it could really enchance our offense for Henne.)

twizbuck
03-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Post your teams needs and order with reasons if possible.

Cincinnati
1. Safety - We really need a playmaking S and if Earl Thomas is there, he would be the pick.
2. WR - Chad is our only good one, we need a big play guy and a vertical threat.
3. Tight End - High on the needs list but the front office has said it wont be addressed early, if at all in the draft.
4. DT - An inside pass rusher. No big fatties, we have our run stoppers. We need guys who can collapse the pocket.
5. DE - Odom is hurt too much and we need to upgrade over Geathers.
6. OL - Guard will be an issue if Bobbie Williams isnt resigned we need depth especially OG.

Accurate. I'd throw K and SLB on there too. Order could be debated, but it's not extreme enough to bother me.

gpngc
03-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Seahawks: Literally everything but LB and TE.

And maybe not WR if they re-sign Burleson (UFA).

I think* they are targeting these:
-QB
-LT (Alex Gibbs style)
-S
-RB
-DL
-CB

marshallb
03-04-2010, 11:11 AM
My thoughts for the Vikings:
1. S
2. QB
3. NT
4. RG
5. RB
6. CB
7. OLB

As you can see I have CB farther down the list than everyone else, but I just don't see CB as much of a need.

GoRavens
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Ravens need

1) WR
2) DE
3) CB
4) FS
5) TE
6) QB
7) WR

nobodyinparticular
03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Raiders
1 LT(moving back to power blocking scheme)
2 DT
3 LB
4 OG
5 CB
6 DE

Wait, Raiders are moving to a power blocking scheme? With Cable still as HC? REALLY? Where can I find this?

nobodyinparticular
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Raiders My thoughts:
LT
RT
RG
C
NT
FB--lead blocker
MLB
SLB
#2 CB
NB

QB is high on the list too, but I would guess it won't happen high in the draft.

Bengals78
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Accurate. I'd throw K and SLB on there too. Order could be debated, but it's not extreme enough to bother me.

I see K being addressed in FA if at all.
SLB wont be an issue until Rey moves inside which wont be next year bc of his DUI. Zimmer said you cant have a guy like that leading your defense.

zachsaints52
03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Saints

NT - Someone that can help stop the run while also having the ability to collapse the pocket.
OLB - Fujita and Shanle are serviceable but nothing special.
DE - Charles Grant is not earning the big paycheck he's receiving.
C - While Goodwin made the Pro-Bowl he can be upgraded.
CB - If Malcom Jenkins takes Darren Sharper's spot at FS then we need a legit nickelback.
RB - A short-yardage back that can grind out the tough goal-line yards.
QB - A backup to groom behind Brees.

Basically this, but no way in the world do we use a 1st on the bottom 3. DE moves up if Grant is release.... we all hope so.

AntoinCD
03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Patriots:

OLB-Tully Banta-Cain led the team in sacks last year and both he and Derrick Burgess are unrestricted FAs.
OG/C-Logan Mankins is one of the best guards in the NFL but Stephen Neal really played like his age would lead you to believe last year and Dan Koppen really cant hold up against big DTs.
ILB-Jerod Mayo is one of the better young ILBs but beside him there are a bunch of rotational guys.
OT-Sebastian Vollmer was a real nice surprise last year and looks like he has tremendous upside but Nick Kazcur shouldn't be starting anymore and Matt Light's play has really regressed.
DE-From this time last year being the strong point of the team Richard Seymour has been traded and Jarvis Green is an unrestricted FA
WR-Wes Welker may not play until Thanksgiving, Randy Moss will be 33 and the other guys have little to no experience.
TE-Ben Watson really hasnt done anything in the last 5 years and is an unrestricted FA and the only guy left is Chris Baker.
RB-Laurence Maroney is officially a bust and Fred Taylor showed he is pretty much done.

twizbuck
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I see K being addressed in FA if at all.
SLB wont be an issue until Rey moves inside which wont be next year bc of his DUI. Zimmer said you cant have a guy like that leading your defense.

I don't think Maualuga's a good SLB. Rather would see him just bumped to backup MLB.

Bengals78
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think Maualuga's a good SLB. Rather would see him just bumped to backup MLB.

He is the best SLB we have, one of the best tacklers, our only real threat to force fumbles, you have to find a way to get him on the field.
Brandon Johnson is overrated by fans IMO. He is good nothing special. Jeanty is a good back up. But Rey is our best option and we have to keep him on the field until he has shown he can take over at MLB

twizbuck
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
He is the best SLB we have, one of the best tacklers, our only real threat to force fumbles, you have to find a way to get him on the field.
Brandon Johnson is overrated by fans IMO. He is good nothing special. Jeanty is a good back up. But Rey is our best option and we have to keep him on the field until he has shown he can take over at MLB

Don't want him to be replaced by Johnson. I'd like to see a real SLB threat. A solid, all-around type like a Gocong. Yes Maualuga's a hard hitting enforcer, but he's also a coverage liability right now, and he does miss tackles.

Bengals78
03-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Don't want him to be replaced by Johnson. I'd like to see a real SLB threat. A solid, all-around type like a Gocong. Yes Maualuga's a hard hitting enforcer, but he's also a coverage liability right now, and he does miss tackles.

Until we get one, it is Rey's spot. I just dont see him as a big of a liability as the others.

twizbuck
03-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Until we get one, it is Rey's spot. I just dont see him as a big of a liability as the others.

He's not, which is why SLB is so low. It's merely optimal preference.

Unbiased
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Jaguars

1. RDE - I'd like to sign Ogunleye and draft Morgan. Groves is so undisciplined and Hayward might not be back, coming off a big injury.

2. LG - According to Uche Nwaneri, he's going to LG or C. I would guess center so we have a veteran there. Manuwai is going to RG since he's gotten bigger and not as good of a pass blocker. We need a pass-blocking LG. Someone like Rodger Saffold. That would allow us to cut Brad Meester who is actually the guy who needs to be replaced. Also wouldn't mind to pick up Rex Hadnot for depth at center/guard.

3. QB - Clausen would be amazing, but assuming he's off the board, we're looking at Jarrett Brown and Jevan Snead in the 4th. Garrard just turned 32, so it's time to get his replacement into camp.

4. SS - I'd bet Gerald Alexander will move to FS and Considine will start at SS. Nelson could be cut. We'd need someone to take over for Considine in a year. Barry Church would be great in the 5th round.

5. DT - The starters are great with Knighton and Henderson. Stanley and Ellison are okay as backups (if Ellison even gets a tender). We could bring in another guy to deepen the rotation. Maybe Malcom Sheppard in the 6th round.

6. LT depth - The 2nd year starters are fine. Tra Thomas was too expensive as a backup. Bringing in a guy like Mike Gandy would be smart. Jordan Black is fine as Britton's backup.

7. LB - I'm okay with Smith, Durant, and Ingram starting, but I wouldn't be shocked if McClain was the 1st round pick if he was the BPA.

Pryme
03-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Cowboys:

1. Safety - Hamlin really digressed last year and although Sensabaugh was solid in run support, he was nothing special especially in coverage. We've lacked playmakers at the position for a long time and if a stud is available in the first two rounds, that should be the pick.

2. OT/OG - Both Colombo and Flozell are getting way up there in years and soon their play will not merit their salaries. Doug Free looks to be a capable replacement for one of them. However, more depth is still needed with Kosier getting older on the inside and no depth what so ever at guard. Basically we need a utilityman with upside to move to one of the bookend spots later in his career.

3. CB - It's unclear how long Newmam will continue his level of play as he gets older. Scandrick is a solid slot corner but does he have what it takes to be a full time starter? More depth with upside is needed.

4. K - Folk turned into a headcase. Suisham isn't a long term fix. Can Bueler be accuarate enough to take the job? For contenders like Dallas, you need to be rock solid at this position and they're obviously not. That being said, I don't see any kickers worth giving up a pick for in the draft this year.

5. DE/DT - Spears is a restricted free agent and I think we'll retain him as he's a serviceable starter. Olshansky was fantastic last year and will remain there. Bowen really emerged as a quality back up last year. One spot we could really use some quality depth is at the NT position where Ratliff has no quality or quanity behind him. Luckily the draft is chock full of NTs this year.

6. WR - A lot of people have this a lot higher. However, Dallas already has plenty of weapons in the passing game and we have great depth at WR. Is Williams the receiver he's paid as? HELL NO! But he is a serviceable starter and he'll be around for at least one more year because of his contract. Also don't forget about Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, and possible sleeper to take Williams starting job, Kevin Ogletree. That being said, if a WR falls to us and it's a really good value, I can see us making the pick.

Matthew Jones
03-04-2010, 04:56 PM
New England could use a lot of help across the board. I'll analyze each position quickly:

Quarterback - despite whatever you might think, the Patriots have a franchise quarterback on their roster who's in his prime and doubles as the greatest player the club has ever had. They're not going to draft Tim Tebow.

Running back - Laurence Maroney hasn't really lived up to expectations. I expect this group to end up pretty similar to last year though, with the possible exception of someone they draft - they have enough old running backs.

Fullback - this is a position that could be addressed in a late round. Sammy Morris usually had these duties but I think they'd probably like someone who can line up there every time they go into a set with a fullback.

Wide receiver - could be a need, but as of right now I don't think it's a huge issue, although I might be in the minority. Moss is probably gone after the year, but they still have Welker/Tate/Edelman. It would be nice to get a receiver with #1 potential though and they could take one in the top two rounds.

Tight end - this has become a huge need recently because the team is losing Ben Watson to free agency and just cut Chris Baker. That leaves them with virtually no tight ends. I think they'll probably sign a tight end in free agency and then draft one or two throughout the course of the draft.

Offensive tackle - Matt Light is entering the last year of his deal, so drafting some developmental tackles as they usually do is a good idea. As of now though I don't see this as a big issue - Sebastian Vollmer is the left tackle of the future.

Offensive guard - Logan Mankins will be back next year, but his long term future is in question and Stephen Neal is a free agent. Look for them to check out some guards, although it's probably in the 3rd or 4th round range unless a tremendous value falls. If Neal is back, they won't take one.

Center - a position that could be upgraded. Dan Koppen hasn't played well in some years considering his size vs. the influx of nose tackles, and they tried to address this with Eric Wood before the Bills took him last year. Probably not a high pick though.

Defensive end - I think someone is going to offer Jarvis Green far more money than he's worth because of the lack of 3-4 ends so this will probably become a need. Also, if they look to do more 4-3 looks they'll probably need at least one quality end here.

Defensive tackle - Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork will be back, which makes this a non-factor if you ask me. They also have Mike Wright there who's a capable backup and spent a second round pick on Ron Brace last year.

Outside linebacker - possibly the biggest need on the team - it's not that there's no personnel, it's just that there's no good personnel. Adalius Thomas will be traded or cut and Tully Banta-Cain might get a big free agent offer. I'd look for two starters here.

Inside linebacker - Jerod Mayo took a step back with all of the responsibilities bestowed on him and his MCL injury last year but is still a solid starter. Gary Guyton will be back but should be a backup. I'd look for a long term option in the draft as well as a veteran to hold down the fort for a little while.

Cornerback - If Leigh Bodden leaves this is an issue. If not, they should be okay, although I'd prefer them to sign or draft one more corner at some point. High priority if Bodden leaves, but a mid-round priority if he returns just to grab a nickel back.

Safety - Probably the least-needed position in the draft for the Patriots. They have Brandon Meriweather (who received a well-deserved Pro Bowl invitation), Sanders there on a multi-year deal, and Patrick Chung who they just spent a high pick on.