PDA

View Full Version : Draft surprises

Phillysteeler
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Every year some team takes a guy way before he was expected to go or at a position that most didn't see as a position of need ala Tyson Jackson. There are also sometimes guys who slide ala Aaron Rodgers. If you had to pick one player to go too early and one to go too late who do you think it will be? I expect Cody to go earlier (mid first) than most are thinking and Anthony Davis to fall (late first early second).

akvikefan89
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Too Early: Bruce Campbell (workout warrior who's tape isn't great)
Too Late: Derrick Morgan (getting bumped down in mocks without a real reason)

wogitalia
03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
It's an interesting one, I think you will find that certain positions are most likely to fall and be reached on. OL seems to be commonly reached on and MLB tends to commonly fall.

Now it depends on what stock you use but I personally think McClain may end up falling further than people think. I also think that if one of Bradford and Clausen gets past Seattle that they may fall similar to Quinn or Rodgers. Basically QB is one of those spots that if a team isn't 100% sold on a guy they shouldn't and generally wont take them.

As for risers.. I think Earl Thomas is going to go higher than people think. It will depend on Berry going early, Berry could actually end up on the otherside of this, if he falls, every other safety goes with him, but if Berry is top 8, I expect Thomas will come off 2nd and probably top 15. I guess you could say I see Mays falling as a result.

I also expect Brandon Graham to fall. I'm not sure why, just a gut feel. I also expect whoever gets him to get a steal.

I wouldn't be shocked if Spiller goes top 10 also.

bored of education
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Who ever KC drafts at number 5 not named Berry would be a suprise in its own way

Phillysteeler
03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
It's an interesting one, I think you will find that certain positions are most likely to fall and be reached on. OL seems to be commonly reached on and MLB tends to commonly fall.

Now it depends on what stock you use but I personally think McClain may end up falling further than people think. I also think that if one of Bradford and Clausen gets past Seattle that they may fall similar to Quinn or Rodgers. Basically QB is one of those spots that if a team isn't 100% sold on a guy they shouldn't and generally wont take them.

As for risers.. I think Earl Thomas is going to go higher than people think. It will depend on Berry going early, Berry could actually end up on the otherside of this, if he falls, every other safety goes with him, but if Berry is top 8, I expect Thomas will come off 2nd and probably top 15. I guess you could say I see Mays falling as a result.

I also expect Brandon Graham to fall. I'm not sure why, just a gut feel. I also expect whoever gets him to get a steal.

I was thinking about one of the qbs falling. I figure the Rams and Seahawks were definites too at least consider qb with the Browns, Bills, Jags and Dolphins maybe going that route. I went with Davis just because most mocks have him top ten and there are a ton of first round graded tackles. I figure one has to slide a little bit. Scotts current mock alone has six first round lineman with four tackles and I just think 1 will slide.

Stranger
03-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Later than expected - Dez Bryant, Joe Haden

Earlier than expected - Dan Williams, Kyle Wilson

superman8456
03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Currently, Anthony Davis is falling, and I'm not a fan of it. I think he is the 2nd most NFL ready tackle in this class and the one with the biggest potential. Talk about a steal if he slips past #10...

yourfavestoner
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM

Jacksonville would gobble Bradford or Clausen up in a heatbeat if one of them got to them.

ThePudge
03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Currently, Anthony Davis is falling, and I'm not a fan of it. I think he is the 2nd most NFL ready tackle in this class and the one with the biggest potential. Talk about a steal if he slips past #10...

I wouldn't buy into the Davis concerns too much as film is really the best tool for evaluating OL. Andre Smith was being mentioned at this time a year ago falling out of the Top 10 or 15, but still wound up in the Top 6 despite maturity and weight concerns. With the amount of teams that need Tackles in the Top 10 (Washington, Kansas City, Seattle, Oakland, and Buffalo) Davis' unique skill-set and large frame should get him and paid.

Phillysteeler
03-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't buy into the Davis concerns too much as film is really the best tool for evaluating OL. Andre Smith was being mentioned at this time a year ago falling out of the Top 10 or 15, but still wound up in the Top 6 despite maturity and weight concerns. With the amount of teams that need Tackles in the Top 10 (Washington, Kansas City, Seattle, Oakland, and Buffalo) Davis' unique skill-set and large frame should get him and paid.

Seattle and buffalo could both use qbs among other things. KC has a lot of needs. Oakland will probably take BAA (best athlete available) and I could see washington going OT. So there is definitely a possibility he will go high but there are so many talented tackles who knows which order they will go.

LizardState
03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
The Redskins did a 1st & 3rd tender on their underachieving QB Jason Campbell on Wed. to keep him, but will end up taking a QB anyway who will beat him out of the starting job in camp. QB uncertainty follows Shanahan around the NFL, I think it's the law.

bigfreak314
03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I got a surprise for you, What if....a big IF, Detroit decides to shore up their OL at the left tackle spot and draft Russell Okung to protect Staffords blindside for the next 10 years

gpngc
03-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Gronkowski is going to go in the first round.

Babylon
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Unfortunately for Davis his resume doesnt look like Andre Smith's did, at least from what i've seen.

gpngc
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately for Davis his resume doesnt look like Andre Smith's did, at least from what i've seen.

Not even close.

I could definitely see Davis falling out of the first, especially with at least one team that's going to love Campbell and T. Williams and Bulaga being such solid prospects.

king2am
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I got a surprise for you, What if....a big IF, Detroit decides to shore up their OL at the left tackle spot and draft Russell Okung to protect Staffords blindside for the next 10 years

I think that's exactly what they should do.

zachsaints52
03-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Too Early: Bruce Campbell (workout warrior who's tape isn't great)
Too Late: Derrick Morgan (getting bumped down in mocks without a real reason)

Derrick Morgan is getting the Paul Puslouzny treatment. Solid performer in a big time conference, but will drop due to whatever reasons. Morgan will still be a first rounder, but will make an excellent DE for years.

Brothgar
03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm almost sure that Bruce Campbell is going to go #8 now after Al made the biggest money shot in history all over his Grampers. Way too high.

Way too low is George Selvie DE USF.

Grizzlegom
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Idk if it will be much of a surprise anymore but I think Dunlap falls to the mid-to-late second and Hardy falls to the third day, mid-to-late 4th.

As for a surprise "too high," I think the value is there but I think people are expecting Spiller to fall because of his position and i think people will be surprised when Spiller comes off the board at 7 to the Browns.

keylime_5
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I think Dan Williams will go pretty high. Suprise!

DoWnThEfiElD
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM

I agree 100%.

A Perfect Score
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
There is a lot of negative press surrounding Dez Bryant right now, but Ill still be absolutely stunned if he makes it past 12.

I think Sean Weatherspoon is gunna go alot higher then people think, possibly even before McClain.

LookItsAlDavis
03-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Lower than expected: Golden Tate, Jermaine Gresham, Sergio Kindle
Higher than expected: Charles Brown, Tony Washington, Everson Griffin, Tim Tebow

Complex
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Joe Haden will fall out of the top 15.
JPP will fall if the raiders don't draft him (hopefully to the titans)

Earl Thomas will be a Top 15 maybe top 10 pick.

toonsterwu
03-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Every year some team takes a guy way before he was expected to go or at a position that most didn't see as a position of need ala Tyson Jackson. There are also sometimes guys who slide ala Aaron Rodgers. If you had to pick one player to go too early and one to go too late who do you think it will be? I expect Cody to go earlier (mid first) than most are thinking and Anthony Davis to fall (late first early second).

Real quick, but Tyson Jackson was a position of need for the Chiefs since they were moving to a 3-4, and as the draft neared, he was pegged as a possible top 10, so it wasn't a HUGE reach.

Um ... it's so early .... but if I had to take a stab at risers or fallers in the first, I'll go

Jimmy Clausen - the easy one to guess but I can see situations where he slides to the late first area. I have him dropping mid-first right now, but I could see a scenario where he slips like BQ.

If I had to guess a second possible faller, I'd go Dez Bryant.

Riser ... Cody's a nice pick for a riser. I'll go Jared Odrick. Heck, I've said it on IRC ... but I'd pick Jared in the top 10 if I was a 3-4 team that had a need and didn't love my options. I think he'll at least go mid-first.

Here's the thing ... the top tier is relatively weak this year that ... it's somewhat hard to guess risers and fallers as of now, until we see how things slowly shake out.

D-Unit
03-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Real quick, but Tyson Jackson was a position of need for the Chiefs since they were moving to a 3-4, and as the draft neared, he was pegged as a possible top 10, so it wasn't a HUGE reach.

Um ... it's so early .... but if I had to take a stab at risers or fallers in the first, I'll go

Jimmy Clausen - the easy one to guess but I can see situations where he slides to the late first area. I have him dropping mid-first right now, but I could see a scenario where he slips like BQ.

If I had to guess a second possible faller, I'd go Dez Bryant.

Riser ... Cody's a nice pick for a riser. I'll go Jared Odrick. Heck, I've said it on IRC ... but I'd pick Jared in the top 10 if I was a 3-4 team that had a need and didn't love my options. I think he'll at least go mid-first.

Here's the thing ... the top tier is relatively weak this year that ... it's somewhat hard to guess risers and fallers as of now, until we see how things slowly shake out.
Can I just say I love you man? Ha ha. Thanks for visiting!

coCANES17
03-05-2010, 03:49 AM
I think McCourty could probably end up being the 2nd corner off the board. Roger Saffold could also be an intriguing player that might sneak up to the top of Round 2.

As for fallers? It wouldn't shock me If Spikes and Gilyard went into free fall mode over the course of the draft. Real good college players but they just don't seem like the type of players NFL teams would be too dazzled by. Especially Spikes.