PDA

View Full Version : terrence cody is an elite player

bitonti
03-04-2010, 04:05 PM
he's got Ted Washington measurables... super rare to have a nose tackle above 6'3"

we are talking about a league where in 2010 there were 4 nose tackles (none of whom rush the passer) who got franchise tagged. (Wilfork, Franklin, Pickett and Hampton, who got resigned and tag removed).

people say he has stamina issues

how was his stamina with 4 seconds left in the 4th quarter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwPPSXMy2E

Alabama never gave up a 100 yard rusher when Cody was on the field.

People who say he's gonna be a 2nd or 3rd round pick... what is that based on? The swimsuit competition at the combine?

CLong4Heisman
03-04-2010, 04:08 PM
It's based on the fact that his weight was 370 and he potentially dropped 20 pounds for a paycheck.

bitonti
03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
It's based on the fact that his weight was 370 and he potentially dropped 20 pounds for a paycheck.

i dont get that excuse. why does any player do anything? for a pay check.

that youtube speaks for itself.

Announcers:

"4 seconds to go. Lincoln for the lead.

Blocked Again! Cody Again!

(Oh My!)

Alabama wins!"

how can a player who is considered to have stamina problems make such a big play so late in the game? He saved Saban's bacon.

prock
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Wait, so blocking kicks = first rounder? Brilliant!

bitonti
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Wait, so blocking kicks = first rounder? Brilliant!

the positional scarcity makes him a first rounder. again to repeat myself there were 4 NT franchise tagged this year.

Hurricanes25
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
the positional scarcity makes him a first rounder. again to repeat myself there were 4 NT franchise tagged this year.

Yeah, you're probabaly right but it doesn't make him an elite player.

killxswitch
03-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I think he's underrated and will go a lot higher than some expect.

PossibleCabbage
03-04-2010, 04:21 PM
It's based on the fact that nose tackles pretty much make their money on one of two things: Technique and veteran savvy, or pure explosiveness.

No player out of college has the sort of technique and veteran savvy that is required to succeed on that alone. Wilfork is a six year veteran, Pickett is a nine year veteran, Hampton is a nine year veteran, and Franklin is a 7 year veteran. No defensive tackle in college, no matter how good, can hold a candle to these guys in terms of knowledge and technique.

If you want to come in and play well as an NT in the NFL as a youngster, you have to be extremely explosive. Explosiveness is why B.J. Raji got drafted in the top 10 to play nose tackle, while the guy who actually played closer to the nose on his defense (Ron Brace) fell all the way to the second round. Raji was unreasonably explosive for a man his size, Brace is not. Raji's explosion numbers? 1.69 10-yard split, 32" vert, 8'07" broad. Brace's explosion numbers? 1.88 10-yard split, 28" vert, 8'03" broad. This is despite the fact that Brace is both lighter and taller.

Someone get me Cody's explosion numbers from the combine, please. It doesn't matter how good he was in college, you can't put a guy on the nose as if you can't trust him to be explosive enough to force a double-team, or savvy enough to shift, stack, and flow to the ball. You can make Cody into a fine NFL NT, but he's at least two years out, and that's why he's not an elite player.

no bare feet
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I am confused

DoughBoy
03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Announcers:

(Oh My!)

Alabama wins!"

how can a player who is considered to have stamina problems make such a big play so late in the game? He saved Saban's bacon.

Well Lincoln sucks first off and can't get air under a ball to save his life. He basically hit cody in the stomach.

no bare feet
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Well Lincoln sucks first off and can't get air under a ball to save his life. He basically hit cody in the stomach.

hold on, was that a pun?

no bare feet
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree with bitonti, to an extent. as a pure NT prospect i think Cody is elite.

prock
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
If you are confused, I will clear up this guy's argument for you. Terrance Cody blocked two kicks and four NT's in the league got franchised. Therefore, he is an elite player.

DoughBoy
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
hold on, was that a pun?

no pun intended.

TitanHope
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
The NFL season is much longer, the games are more grueling, and he won't be going against walk-on talent at the end of the 4th QTR. He weighed in heavier than expected at the Senior Bowl, and already had to be rotated continually while at Alabama (he was just now allowed to stay in on 3rd Down during his senior season). That's why he has stamina issues.

yourfavestoner
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

So would you have preferred him to stay at the 400+ pounds he came to Alabama at?

He's been steadily losing weight for the past two years. WTF else do you expect him to do.

When players underperform at the combine, they didn't prepare enough. When they beat preconceived notions, they're only doing it for a paycheck. So which one is it?

CLong4Heisman
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Announcers:

(Oh My!)

Alabama wins!"

Pat Kuntz on Notre Dame blocked 8 kicks in his career. I don't get your point.

PossibleCabbage
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
In my personal opinion, eliteness of a prospect comes from three sources:
1) Nearly unlimited ceiling
2) Immediacy of impact.
3) Very high floor.

From where I sit, Cody fails on all three criteria, while a truly elite prospect to excel in at least one of those three categories. Cody's floor is very low (eating himself out of the league). He's not going to be a quality NT for several years, and he has no other NFL position. While his ceiling may be high (i.e. NT), it's ultimately going to be limited to "teams just won't bother to run inside".

prock
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM

I guess Pat Kuntz is an elite player too.

Jimmy
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
While i agree that cody is going to be a force to be reckoned with at the next level, your reasoning is absolutely freaking awful.

Let me just get this straight...

1) you're telling me that just because Cody jumped high enough off the ground to block a kick (Which was low to begin with) that he couldnt possibly have stamina issues?

2) that because 4 DT's got franchised, he is a surefire first round pick? Without even talking about his talent?

My son, you have a lot of studying up to do in the field of putting together an argument. What you have to offer makes no sense, and is causing you to look like a fool. Next time, if you want to make a thread, at least be sure to use logic.

brasho
03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Ted Washington gained nearly 100 pounds AFTER he was drafted.... Keith Traylor (gained over 125), Siragusa, Wilfork, Hampton, Rogers, Jenkins and many others all pushed 400 lbs a few years after being in the league... what makes you think that this fat tub of lard isn't going to be pushing 500 in a few short years?

Forget football, it is a given his career will be short and he will be out of the league by 30, the real question is, will this fat bastard have eaten himself to death by 30?

Sure, Cody was "down to 350+" at the combine.... but for how long? Do you seriously think giving him millions of dollars to feed his hunger is going to give him any further incentive to keep his weight down?

This guy has abused and destroyed his body through a lifetime of overeating, taking shortcuts, and lack of motivation and willpower. He isn't going to simply change his habits that he's developed over the course of his life simply because he's now a millionaire... it will only make it worse.

If you think him blocking a kick by running over a walk-on OG in the 4th quarter that he likely played 30 snaps in makes him elite, then you just described just about every walk-on special teams ace in college football.

Cody is a timebomb waiting to explode. Any GM that drafts him in round 1 is mortgaging his future on a guy controlling himself that has never shown any self-control in his life. Good luck with that one because when Mt. Chubby eats himself out of the league, he'll be taking his team's GM and Coach with him, I assume if they all go out to dinner they'll be asking for a split-check.

brasho
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Let me just get this straight...

1) you're telling me that just because Cody jumped high enough off the ground to block a kick (Which was low to begin with) that he couldnt possibly have stamina issues?

2) that because 4 DT's got franchised, he is a surefire first round pick? Without even talking about his talent?

This is why you're wrong.

1) The kick was low, it nearly hit him in the face. He ran over a walk-on, that just so-happened to be the mascot's brother on the way to the kicker.

2) Yes, 4 NTs were franchised, so anybody that played NT in college is a future 1st round pick AND hall-of-famer... Nate Collins of UVa comes to mind... I was thinking he might get drafted late... but now because of his experience playing the NT position I'm sure he'll go top 20.

And who needs logic, when we have steadfast stats like: played NT, and blocked kicks? It's mathmatically. 1 NT + 2 blocked kicks = hall-of-fame

AkiliSmith
03-04-2010, 05:35 PM
That is a fantastic name

prock
03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
That is a fantastic name

I actually have a friend named Zack Kuntz, it is pronounced Koontz, but everyone just calls him Cuntz.

brasho
03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I actually have a friend named Zack Kuntz, it is pronounced Koontz, but everyone just calls him Cuntz.

I have a friend I've been playing ball with for years named Mike Kuhn... and we always call him by his last name... you should see some of the other players' expressions when we're yelling for him, "Good job, KUHN!" (it's pronounced koon).

CashmoneyDrew
03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I could have blocked that weak ass Lincoln kick without jumping as long as I didn't sneeze. Don't use that weak crap as an excuse. He was also being blocked by a six foot nothing, 250 pound offensive lineman who couldn't protect a **** pie at a bake sale.

prock
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I have a friend I've been playing ball with for years named Mike Kuhn... and we always call him by his last name... you should see some of the other players' expressions when we're yelling for him, "Good job, KUHN!" (it's pronounced koon).

This would be hilarious if you live in an urban setting, but slightly dangerous.

bitonti
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
http://media.al.com/alabama-sports/photo/cody-blocks-second-fga-med-almondjpg-cf683a5b6a5488d3_medium.jpg

this isn't getting hit in the stomach

he's more athletic than people realize

and it's a super rare position to find players...

you can all bash Cody all day just remember this thread... he's real deal

Saints-Tigers
03-04-2010, 06:09 PM
250 pound offensive lineman who couldn't protect a **** pie at a bake sale.

WTH lol, I'm so gonna start saying this. I don't know what it means, but I like it.

CC.SD
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
hahahahaha Pat Kuntz.

Seriously Cody is a beast, let him drop to 28.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
If you are confused, I will clear up this guy's argument for you. Terrance Cody blocked two kicks and four NT's in the league got franchised. Therefore, he is an elite player.

Haha, so true

Jimmy
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
http://media.al.com/alabama-sports/photo/cody-blocks-second-fga-med-almondjpg-cf683a5b6a5488d3_medium.jpg

http://jumping-exercises.com/hp_wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/spud-webb1.jpg

Basically the same thing.

bitonti
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
If Cody goes in round 2 or 3 and eats his way out of the league, I'll come back here and eat crow... seriously... but i feel pretty safe making this statement. two down defensive tackles are now franchise players in the NFL.

In 2009, Andre Smith, right tackle for the Bengals, didn't lose weight, looked gross, didn't run... actually went AWOL from the combine... and went 6 overall.

That dude literally couldn't eat his way out of the top 10 and it was last year.

meanwhile Cody won a national title on that same team, and he's a 2nd rounder?

wonderbredd24
03-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I'll take Dan Williams all day long over Terrence Cody in the 3-4. Dan Williams brings the power, but he's a far better athlete, can do more behind the line of scrimmage, and is far less likely to eat himself out of the league

Jimmy
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
If Cody goes in round 2 or 3 and eats his way out of the league, I'll come back here and eat crow... seriously... but i feel pretty safe making this statement. two down defensive tackles are now franchise players in the NFL.

In 2009, Andre Smith, right tackle for the Bengals, didn't lose weight, looked gross, didn't run... actually went AWOL from the combine... and went 6 overall.

That dude literally couldn't eat his way out of the top 10 and it was last year.

Yes, and Andre Smith also had many fans and nfl scouts following him who could put together arguments with reasons as to why he was a solid choice there. While were at it, does any body know if Andre Smith ever block any kicks?

K Train
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
he will be fat and take up space and make a run defense elite for 10 years....hes not gonna get you 8 sacks a year like guys like ratliff or jenkins, but he is not moveable...not backwards, or side to side and the man carries his weight well, hes not just a slob hes an athlete

K Train
03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I'll take Dan Williams all day long over Terrence Cody in the 3-4. Dan Williams brings the power, but he's a far better athlete, can do more behind the line of scrimmage, and is far less likely to eat himself out of the league

i guarantee williams fails in a 34, he will be overwhelmed by the double teams....in a 43 he will be a great asset and a penetrating 320 pound DT...in a 34 he will be pushed around and not take up blockers which cody will excel at

Rob S
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I like Cody a lot and would not mind it at all if the Bills traded up into the 20's to get him (after snagging on OT first).

prock
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM

more athletic than people realize? this picture shows him running over a man who weighs about 120 lbs less than him and sticking his arm out. you want athlete? look at the guy behind him.

Brothgar
03-04-2010, 07:06 PM

While I agree that cody is an elite NT prospect (rare to see feet like Cody's on a NT) but using Andre Smith as an example is bad when you look at where he is now.

toonsterwu
03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Just skimming through this and figured I'd offer my 2 cents:

I don't think Cody is an elite prospect (but I don't think bitonti is arguing that). I think he's going to be a very good 3-4 NT. I think he's the best 3-4 NT in this draft, and I'll be somewhat surprised if he slips into the 2nd. I fully expect him to go in the first round. Too many teams are playing the 3-4 these days with too few top NT's available. I believe that feet anchors much better than people give credit for - at a very elite level. He stays balanced and maintains power, and that's not something all DT's can do.

SenorGato
03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
I think he'll get into shape. I think he can go as high as 10 to the Jaguars, who can then develop him behind Henderson and Knighton.

FUNBUNCHER
03-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Is Cody just big, or is there some strength and power under all that blubber??

wogitalia
03-05-2010, 12:36 AM
This guy has abused and destroyed his body through a lifetime of overeating, taking shortcuts, and lack of motivation and willpower. He isn't going to simply change his habits that he's developed over the course of his life simply because he's now a millionaire... it will only make it worse.

I disagree. Cody is a guy who came into Bama weighing 400+, was told by the staff he needed to lose weight, so he did, was told to lose more, so he did, showed up at Senior Bowl overweight in the leagues eyes and was told to lose weight, so he did. I see a guy who listens to advice, works at it and gets better as a result. The weight will always be an issue, you draft him knowing you will need to keep him motivated and in shape, that's a given but to say it makes him undraftable is silly.

As for Cody, I agree that he can be an elite player. I think the reasoning being presented in the OP is horrible. It shows nothing because Cody is not one of those 4 and they are thus irrelevant. Blocking kicks is not what will get him paid in the league and not a reason to draft him.

His size, strength, quickness and performance are reasons to draft him. I'm not sure where he goes and I am one of the few who think he can fit in a 4-3 as well(needs to lose more weight but has shown he can and will if told to do so) which opens more doors. At the same time, I do not think he is a 1st round talent as a 4-3 DT, especially in a draft this deep. He is a first round talent as a NT but the weight thing will affect him. I expect he goes in the 20s. Someone like San Diego just became a very real possibility.

I also think he succeeds because he is a good player and he seems like a good kid who needs a little pushing. I think that he can be great but I don't think he will until he becomes more self motivated.

Complex
03-05-2010, 12:52 AM
more athletic than people realize? this picture shows him running over a man who weighs about 120 lbs less than him and sticking his arm out. you want athlete? look at the guy behind him.

Cody can dunk a basketball, I read a article on ESPN awhile so he is a athlete....

descendency
03-05-2010, 01:41 AM
If I were the team that drafts him, I'd add incentives to have his weight under 330 lbs. I'd double his contract if he kept his weight at 330 for 4 years in a row.

niel89
03-05-2010, 02:24 AM
He isnt and elite prospect. The word elite means that he is without a major flaw. He is however a rare player who fits a rare position. There aren't that many people who fit the 3-4 NT so his value is immense for 3-4 teams.

DaBrowns41
03-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Elite players are not 2 down players. Even Vince Wilfork and the aged (and recently let go) Jamal Williams played 3 downs.

The NFL is looking for guys that can give you their all every play you're on the field. I love Cody, and I've been watching Bama for awhile, and it's evident that he's not dominant.

His blocked kicks were GREAT.

But Lavar Arrington blocked more kicks than him. We saw how that went. Maybe that's a poor example, but HUGE play makers in college can be found everywhere. Huge play makers in college that can make plays in the NFL are much more rare.

prock
03-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Cody can dunk a basketball, I read a article on ESPN awhile so he is a athlete....

My old strength and conditioning coach was like 6'1" 300+ lbs and could throw down. He just had the longest arms I've ever seen. At 6'5"+, Cody ought to be able to dunk.

killxswitch
03-05-2010, 08:59 AM
My old strength and conditioning coach was like 6'1" 300+ lbs and could throw down. He just had the longest arms I've ever seen. At 6'5"+, Cody ought to be able to dunk.

He's a bit under 6'4, definitely not 6'5+. It's not an amazing feat but I would say it qualifies him as an athlete for sure.

romo4prez415
03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
i guarantee williams fails in a 34, he will be overwhelmed by the double teams....in a 43 he will be a great asset and a penetrating 320 pound DT...in a 34 he will be pushed around and not take up blockers which cody will excel at

Bingo! Completely agree. I think dont see Williams as a pure 3-4NT unless he's playing in a 1 gap scheme. Cody on the hand is absolutely immovable. Its funny people keeping making a deal about Cody's weight. Some team will just put a weight clause in his contract and move on from their. Cody is a stud and is a dominant player in the run game. Without him there is no way Bama makes the national championship and he's probably making McClain look a little better on tape than he really is because he was so protected in the 3-4 scheme by MT Cody. If it were up to me my Cowboys have Jay Ratliff but I'd still pick Cody in the 1st and slide Ratliff out to DE.

zachsaints52
03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
This would be hilarious if you live in an urban setting, but slightly dangerous.

I had a friend who did track, his name was Kyle Cummings. It was so funny when he threw discus, one time the announcement went like this," Brewer up, Arms on deck, and Cumming in the hole..... err Cummings in the hole."

We laughed for about 15 straight minutes on that one.

prock
03-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I had a friend who did track, his name was Kyle Cummings. It was so funny when he threw discus, one time the announcement went like this," Brewer up, Arms on deck, and Cumming in the hole..... err Cummings in the hole."

hahaha i love sexual inuendos in names.

touchdownmaker
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
His knees scare me. NFL seasons are so much longer than college, I don't know if he can handle the work load.

San Diego Chicken
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Cody can be the next Ted Washington, but it won't happen overnight. Anyone expecting to plug him in at NT right away will probably be dissapointed. He's more of a project than he appears to be, but he gets play because he's a known commodity since he was hyped up from day one by CBS and the likes.

That's why I say 2nd round because he needs to transform his body and learn better technique.

nepg
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Bingo! Completely agree. I think dont see Williams as a pure 3-4NT unless he's playing in a 1 gap scheme. Cody on the hand is absolutely immovable. Its funny people keeping making a deal about Cody's weight. Some team will just put a weight clause in his contract and move on from their. Cody is a stud and is a dominant player in the run game. Without him there is no way Bama makes the national championship and he's probably making McClain look a little better on tape than he really is because he was so protected in the 3-4 scheme by MT Cody. If it were up to me my Cowboys have Jay Ratliff but I'd still pick Cody in the 1st and slide Ratliff out to DE.
He barely played for Alabama. How many plays was in during the National Championship? Like 5? I don't even recall seeing him. He's really not that big of a cog (figuratively) in the 'Bama defense.

K Train
03-05-2010, 12:25 PM
He barely played for Alabama. How many plays was in during the National Championship? Like 5? I don't even recall seeing him. He's really not that big of a cog (figuratively) in the 'Bama defense.

lies.

hes a huge part of their defense...in the NC texas had to throw throw throw....no point in having cody in there when they are playing catchup and every down is a pass

TheRoo
03-06-2010, 12:28 AM
You can really tell a lot about a person by their grammar skills.

SenorGato
03-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Top 15 pick...I think the Jaguars could be a sleeper at 10 to get a young DT combo in there...and he'd get to rotate with Henderson/Knighton in his first couple years. They built their early 2000's D around their two monster DTs...

FUNBUNCHER
03-06-2010, 07:09 AM

As a former T&F athlete, this is funny beyond belief!!;)

Cody is a valuable player, but there's very little elite about him except his size.

stephenson86
03-06-2010, 08:59 AM
i like the idea of cody going to dallas, i think using him and ratliff at NT and ratliff at DE when cody is in would be brutal

GoHuskers
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who doesn't see Cody as a 3-4 NT. He was fairly weak in college at 360, how's he going to handle doubles at 340 and under? He needs to drop down to 325 and become an all-pro UT.

wordofi
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Terrence Cody is nothing more than a two down player.

BaLLiN
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM

Albert Haynesworth doesnt play all of the downs in a game, he frequently has to be subbed. I dont see how he can be considered a defensive MVP caliber player and Terrence Cody cant succeed in the NFL.

SenorGato
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM

You dominate for two downs you're pretty f'n useful.

Saints-Tigers
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Why are people so against 2 down players? Almost every team has big DE's that move inside on passing downs as is, or specialist rushers.

Cody could be downright dominant in the run game. When you completely obliterate a teams run game and Cody comes out of the game, you get to bring the heat on teams that are trying to pass.

Supporting Caste
03-07-2010, 01:27 AM
I for one see no reason why Cody can't be a three-down player if he gets his conditioning under control.

Like, what, opposing offenses are gonna put one guy on him and assume the QB is safe? I know the guy is a tub of slow lard but he's gonna collapse that **** and disrupt throwing lanes.

bernbabybern820
03-07-2010, 07:04 AM
lies.

hes a huge part of their defense...in the NC texas had to throw throw throw....no point in having cody in there when they are playing catchup and every down is a pass

I don't think Cody played in more than half the snaps in any game this past season. I would always look for him but for the most part was always on the sidelines unless it was 1st down or an obvious running situation. (3rd and 1, 4 and 1, etc)

wordofi
03-07-2010, 11:59 AM
You dominate for two downs you're pretty f'n useful.

He's a fatfuck posing as a fotball player. He' going to eat himself out of the league. I wouldn't even have him on my draftboard. I think Dan Williams will be a much better pro than Cody.

wordofi
03-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Albert Haynesworth doesnt play all of the downs in a game, he frequently has to be subbed. I dont see how he can be considered a defensive MVP caliber player and Terrence Cody cant succeed in the NFL.

Albert Haynesworth stays in for third downs a lot of the time. He can play defensive end on third down and get a good pass rush on the quarterback. All Cody can do is sit in the middle of the line and take up space.

SenorGato
03-07-2010, 12:09 PM
He's a fatfuck posing as a fotball player. He' going to eat himself out of the league. I wouldn't even have him on my draftboard. I think Dan Williams will be a much better pro than Cody.

I think Dan Williams went from one of the most underrated players in the college world to one of the most overrated.

Good, solid, developed, well coached player...Little more.

Cody's upside >>>>>>>>> Williams'

And I like Cody's character enough to buy that he'll try to reach his upside.

PossibleCabbage
03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Why are people so against 2 down players? Almost every team has big DE's that move inside on passing downs as is, or specialist rushers.

Sure, every team has guys like that, but how many of them are considered "elite players" or commanded "elite draft picks", and if they did command "elite draft picks" how many of them are considered to be worthwhile draft picks considering their price if they're simply specialists?

Will I draft a guy to only play on 1st and 2nd down, or only on 3rd down? Sure. Will I draft a guy in the top 15 to only play in one of those two situations? Probably not, especially not in a deep draft.

CashmoneyDrew
03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I think Dan Williams went from one of the most underrated players in the college world to one of the most overrated.

Good, solid, developed, well coached player...Little more.

Cody's upside >>>>>>>>> Williams'

And I like Cody's character enough to buy that he'll try to reach his upside.

I'm not sure about that. Dan Williams collapses pockets and takes on double teams extremely well and just as well as Cody. Not to mention he offers more as a pass rusher already and he doesn't have to lose 25 pounds to get into shape. Also, Dan Williams has upside in both a 4-3 and a 3-4, unlike Cody. I still think Cody is a solid 3-4 nose tackle prospect, but Dan Williams is the better prospect with higher upside to me.

SenorGato
03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Two words: Cody's bigger.

That's what the NFL's all about...Williams is the better player now, but the margin isn't huge and Cody can easily close it if he takes NFL weight training seriously. I feel like Williams tops out as a solid NT (not exactly a knock), while Cody can top out as a dominant one.

For all we know now, in 5 years Terrence Cody could be an NFL fitness nut. Someone will gamble early just based on the idea that if they get him in NFL shape they'll have themselves a dominant "build your D around him" DT.

PossibleCabbage
03-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I for one see no reason why Cody can't be a three-down player if he gets his conditioning under control.

Like, what, opposing offenses are gonna put one guy on him and assume the QB is safe? I know the guy is a tub of slow lard but he's gonna collapse that **** and disrupt throwing lanes.

The first thing you do in an obvious passing situation is you remove your run stopping specialist and bring in an extra defensive back. Why? Because defensive backs are more effective at preventing long completions for first downs than run-stoppers are.

In order for Cody to stay in on third down, he'd need to get a lot better at rushing the passer or alternatively a guy who is even more of a one-dimensional run-stopper would need to be playing next to him.

Draft King
03-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Well played sir.

ectuberider
03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
DT can affect the pass rush without actually getting to the quarterback consistently

They push the o-line back which forces the quarterback to run outside instead of being able to step up in the pocket, that was part of the reason Tennesees pass defense was so bad this year, Haynesworth rarely ran around guys he pushed them backwards and destroyed the pocket which messes up a quarterbacks rhythm, timing and footwork.

34 defenses don't rely on their NT or ends to pass rush they need them to push the o-line back and take on multiple blockers which frees the OLB'ers to pass rush through the gaps or around the outside, Wilfork doesnt rush the passer he takes on the center and a guard which allows guys like Mayo to blitz through the A-gap

Personally i think as soon as he gets himself conditioned to where he doesn't have to come out after a couple of downs he would be an elite 34 NT. Hes already a great run stuffer and with his bulk and strength he would collapse the pocket forcing the quarterback to run outside where the DE/OLB's would be coming around the corner.

SenorGato
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Personally i think as soon as he gets himself conditioned to where he doesn't have to come out after a couple of downs he would be an elite 34 NT. Hes already a great run stuffer and with his bulk and strength he would collapse the pocket forcing the quarterback to run outside where the DE/OLB's would be coming around the corner.

Exactly. Last year's best DT didn't even start for his team and he went 9th overall, so teams aren't scared to sit a first round pick and let him develop. Even then, he'd see alot of snaps in certain D's because of what he offers right now.

romo4prez415
03-07-2010, 10:38 PM
DT can affect the pass rush without actually getting to the quarterback consistently

They push the o-line back which forces the quarterback to run outside instead of being able to step up in the pocket, that was part of the reason Tennesees pass defense was so bad this year, Haynesworth rarely ran around guys he pushed them backwards and destroyed the pocket which messes up a quarterbacks rhythm, timing and footwork.

34 defenses don't rely on their NT or ends to pass rush they need them to push the o-line back and take on multiple blockers which frees the OLB'ers to pass rush through the gaps or around the outside, Wilfork doesnt rush the passer he takes on the center and a guard which allows guys like Mayo to blitz through the A-gap

Completely agree.

bitonti
03-08-2010, 07:26 AM
theres alot of dan williams talk in this thread... he's a good player... works hard like casey hampton... really good hustle guy

but let's not forget he had 2.5 sacks as a senior he's not a pass rusher either.

bitonti
03-22-2010, 04:57 PM
people talk about Cody in late round 1 or even round 2

i'll stick to what I said earlier in the draft season ... he's long gone by late round 1.

he'd be ideal for KC at 5, BUF at 9, and MIA at 12... can't run a 3-4 without a nose tackle.

there have been 4 nose tackles franchised this year... 3 are still tagged...

people talk about conditioning, im sorry literally dont know how to scout the position. He took every rep in senior bowl practice. he took every rep they gave him in the game. he played a full slate of SEC games. lost about 20 pounds since the national championship... been working hard and doing the right thing

Tyson Jackson was an "ideal" 3-4 DE from the SEC supposed to go late round 1 who went 3 overall

Terrence Cody is an "Ideal" 3-4 NT from the SEC supposed to go late round 1... who goes where?

stay tuned... but my guess is higher than people think

BaLLiN
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Cody's passrushing skills are getting trashed to no tomorrow, from the film ive seen he's really not all too bad. Dan Williams looks good too, but i do see what scott has on him, he does look tired sometimes, doesnt use his hands much, overshoots the ballcarrier or QB, and runs high to the QB

BuffaloBillsFan
03-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Cody really scares me as a prospect, he reminds me of a left tackle that Buffalo drafted some time ago by the name of Mike Williams.. You see, Mike Williams had an eating problem just like Cody, not to mention Mike Williams is a very, very, nice guy, just like Cody. Both of these guys had weight issues, both of these guys had motivational issues and both of these guys come off as being way too passive and nice to be a good football player. A team may draft Cody high, but they're doing him a tremendous disservice, if teams pass on Cody until the 2nd-3rd round, perhaps he would be motivated enough to be an elite football player, but as for right now, I just don't see it.

parcells
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I agree that Cody is a boom-or-bust prospect. If he comes in and serves as a great 2-down run-stuffing DT, then he is elite by definition in my book. I'm not saying he'll do this, but IMO the most important player on a 3-4 defense is the NT. Jamal Williams was an elite NT and he often times came out on automatic passing downs like 3rd and long. Even when Merriman was racking up 20 sacks in a season I personally thought Jamal meant more to his team.

A 3-4 NT that consistently clogs up the middle, gets a nice push, and always commands a double team, can actually be the most valuable player on his defense in a given game without ever making a tackle. He frees up his LBs, and he causes plays to develop poorly.

Again, not saying Cody will be this guy, but if I could guarantee this kind of production, even if only for two downs, I'd take him in the top 10.

All that said, I think there's a great chance he falls to the 2nd round just because people are terrified of his bust potential.

vidae
03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Cody 5th overall? What?

And when was Tyson Jackson supposed to go late round 1? I heard a lot of talk mid round 1 and a lot of talk about possible top 10, which is where he went.

Addict
03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Cody top 10 is way too high, he's too one-dimensional

MURPHMAN
03-23-2010, 03:36 PM
I think the potential lockout may have an indirect effect on his draft grade. A team may not want to risk investing a large amount in player with weight control issues knowing that after January of next year, it may be a very long time before they see him again on the practice/playing field.

If he finds Krispy Kreme in February, he may be 450 lbs by September.

Splat
03-23-2010, 03:47 PM
And when was Tyson Jackson supposed to go late round 1? I heard a lot of talk mid round 1 and a lot of talk about possible top 10, which is where he went.

This.

Did the Chiefs reach on him.

Yes.

Was it as big a reach as some made it out to be.

No.

The guy would have went in the top 15, he could have easily went 9 to GB or 12 to Denver with their switch to the 3-4.

yourfavestoner
03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
This draft season has been a really irritating time of year for you Chiefs fans huh?

Everybody keeps mocking you players you don't want, you have an front office man whose trends you haven't really figured out yet, and you're picking at a spot where there will be plenty of talent available yet I get the feeling you guys all have this subconscious understanding that the Chiefs will still do something to piss you guys off.

You're all holding up magnificently, considering the circumstances.

Splat
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I want Okung or Berry if it plays out like that everything is fine after that I don't know what I want I'm like a woman.

prock
03-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I want Okung or Berry if it plays out like that everything is fine after that I don't know what I want I'm like a woman.

I know how you feel. I don't know who I want for the Vikes either.