PDA

View Full Version : First Look at NCAA 11 (Good News)

Jimmy
03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Just by looking at the image, I can already tell they've completely redone the player running animation. Gone are the days of players that run as if they were on an invisible bicycle. Seems much more madden esque.

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4949103

Notable features:

1) The men in stripes
2) Gang Tackles
3) Auto save
4) Formation Subs
5) Helmet Numbers
6) New Equipment

More to come soon hopefully, this is good news to all

TitansCJftw
03-04-2010, 07:02 PM
is it bad that im in year 2042 of my dynasty on ncaa 2010? :cool:

djp
03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I really don't care about any of those features. I wrote an extensive post on another forum about it.

What they need to fix
- Heisman mode cheating and knowing your plays. It's impossible to set up a playaction pass, run a draw, or throw a screen. If you call a screen, it's automatically man coverage from the defense no matter what.

- Robo computer. If you're up 21-0 in the 4th quarter on Heisman, the quarterback will throw a perfect pass every single play unless you user jump a route and get lucky. They will have perfect coverage on defense and shed every block as well.

- Super sim. It's an amazing feature if it actually worked. Computer never calls timeouts, and if you try to super sim out a game where you have the lead, get ready for a close finish. I couldn't even tell you how many times 28-7, 35-14, even 28-0 leads went down the drain attempting to sit out. The computer's playcalling is also a joke on super sim. Sometimes they will call 12 runs in a row. Also, field goal kicking percentage goes down to about 40 percent on super sim. They just don't make it.

- Dropped INTs. I realize that they need to tone this down because most people would throw 5-6 int's a game, but it's gotten downright silly on Heisman.

- Robo interceptions. What I mean by this, is when you throw a pass, and a linebacker is already jumping in the air and snags a 60 mph pass intended for 25 yards downfield and intercepts it.

- The 'hit-as-your-thrown' animation was a nice touch, but the AI QB needs to bite the bullet and take a sack once in awhile. At least 4-5 times a game, a sure sack is negated by a wobbly ball that goes behind the quarterback (which should be a lateral, btw) and it is ruled incomplete as the QB is about a half a millimeter from the ground and no human in real life could ever get rid of the ball like that. That same animation is far too frequent when you yourself plays quarterback as well.

- Recruiting is far too tedious and there aren't enough pitches. Will touch on below.

- JUCO players are 100% worthless because they come in at the same ratings as a 4 year player. A 3 star high school recruit is infinitely more valuable than a JUCO 5*, who will come in at an 82 at the highest.

- Off-season recruiting with new players is an awful idea. First off, none of the computer schools ever even attempt to go after these guys. You can get 12 kids going into the offseason and end up with a full class on these guys alone. Make players advance more quickly in their recruitment and some not so quick.

- Update the star ratings as the season goes along. 3 stars should become 5 stars and more prestigious schools should start to look at them. 5 stars should become 3 stars and less prestigious schools should get a bump.

- Decommitments. You should have to continue to put in time after they jump on board. Not saying you need to continue recruiting them very hard, but there should be different levels of commitments. Leans, soft commits, hard commits.

Additions

- ASSISTANT COACHES. SOOOO many things they could do with this. First off, I shouldn't be able to tell myself exactly how good a recruit is going to be in every attribute. I should have to send assistant coaches out to scout players and build an actual relationship with the recruit instead of just smashing "Hard Pitch" on the recruit's very highs and mosts.

- More pitches. Ummm, coaching style/systems? Is a 6-5 pocket passer really going to want to come to Georgia Tech? No. Just an add-on, option quarterbacks should be either a different category or there should be better dual threats.

- Junior Day/Nike combine days. These should happen in the off-season and a lot of local kids should come, trying to impress me and my staff. My assistants should give me a report on standouts and who wants an offer, etc.

- Prep school recruits. These are the new fad in CFB. Give me 15-20 of these guys a year.

- Playoff system if I choose to have it. Come on EA, sack up. Not hard to put in.

- New commentary. I love Brad Nessler, but get Lee Corso out of there and get a guy like Todd Blackledge in there with Herby and Nessler.

- Academics, off the field issues, etc.

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll be back in a few days with more complaints, haha.

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2010, 07:35 PM
That's a great post djp.

I'm gonna pass this year on NCAA honestly, I'll see how everyone feels and probably get 2012, last year was the worst NCAA by far IMHO and this from a huge NCAA fan for years.

The 3 things that bug me the most(outside of everything in djp's post which was dead on) were:

1. Injuries. Yay for having the new set up where you can choose if a guy comes back in hurt or not, but I couldn't play a game with a star QB not getting hurt. Colt McCoy got hurt EVERY single game for 3 quarters or the game, not even running, on simple pressure tackles. Happened with other teams, and always good players, they were tuned way too high.

2. No presentation what so ever. This is a COLLEGE game, can we not incorporate something?? Even if you don't like Madden their presentation dominated NCAA like nobodies business, can I see players warm up before a game? Can I see some stadium shots? Bands playing? How about at least a little effort? We go through all this effort to get player names, create teams, online dynasties, uniform changes, and they focus nothing on it at all. Even on Madden during timeouts you see your player on the sideline with his helmet off, DB's warming up pre game with WR's, the QB getting an interview immediately after the game, something.

3. This is by far the worst ever. Everytime you drop back to pass and there is even the slightest bit of pressure, you get hit as your throwing, the ball lobs into the air 20 feet and it's ran back for an easy pick. Literally all game long, it's just silly and it doesn't happen nearly enough in games.

Also while I'm thinking about it they need to take away the aggressive/passive sliders they had. Why should you make your blockers be aggressive when they get 15 yard penalities for holding every other play which negates any big play you may have gotten?? Why would you want to play against something with their D-line on aggressive so their in your backfield before you can throw?

It screwed up the game and made it unrealistic.

I have never been so frustrated with a football game in my life, typically I'm one of the guys who just rolls with it and accepts a game for what it is, but some of the crap in last year deemed it a game killer for me.

Brent
03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I had NCAA 2010 on PS2 this past year. It was fantastic as always.

Next year, I'll have a PS3, finally. If I get anything, it'll be Madden.

DoughBoy
03-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Madden and NCAA wont ever change as long as people pay for their POS games (like me :( ). Time to bring back 2k, best football game ever.

BTW when does Maddens contract with the NFL end?

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Madden and NCAA wont ever change as long as people pay for their POS games (like me :( ). Time to bring back 2k, best football game ever.

BTW when does Maddens contract with the NFL end?

I wouldn't mind Gameday coming back, this box/cover will forever be close to my heart:

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/long_box/long_nfl_gameday_jc.jpg

That's back when they had the long ass boxes too :D First xmas I bought playstation and my very first game. That was my favorite series though, I was heavily into these before Madden became any interest to me.

This was my favorite out of the series:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/268/435617-gdfront_large.jpg

Good ol days I tell ya. But on topic not sure when the license is up, but it would be nice to have an option of football games, 2 or 3 to choose from, guarantee it would keep EA on their toes and know they can't just rush some crap together at the last minute because it's the only football game available.

Though ironically this 2010 Madden was the best in the series to me, just feel the exact opposite about NCAA when I usually play both. Weird, but I know it's not the same for everyone.

TitansCJftw
03-04-2010, 08:14 PM
i agree with the heisman fail stuff its funny really, if i call shotgun 4 wr spread inside the 20 or so the computer d magically has goal line defense? lol, the worst thing for me on heisman besides the computer knowing when i call a run(i get screens off virtually every time... and play action im not sure if you meant the ******** thing in your play selection screen where it claims its "setup" thats just another lying fail) is the ridiculous deep ball pass interference, if you want to see it just run someone deep 20 times and run around then go to replay and 7 times out of 10 the cb is pushing and shoving the wr after the initial press 20 and 30 yards down the field another laughable screw-up, the game pisses me off but i play it like a crack addict, ive been addicted to the ncaa football series since 2004 and like Dough said they're just gonna keep on doin the same crap if people keep buying(sadly im one of those as well) as far as the gameplay also pretty funny how over the years they blatantly leave out something added to madden then claim it as a new "feature" the next year like hit stick couple years ago and the "pro-tak" gang tackling stuff /rant

djp
03-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Hopefully, EA Sports uses that ESPN and CBS license to the fullest again like it did for NCAA Basketball.. how awesome would it be to have the in game graphics that ESPN and CBS uses? That made the college basketball game great this year. I thought it sucked at first, and yes, it's not perfect, but the presentation added so much to the experience for me. I am praying that using those presentation displays wasn't just a one time thing for EA Sports to try to get some more sales for the basketball game.

djp
03-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Oh, one of the very biggest things.. the crowd is still non existent animation wise. If I am playing a big game and return a pick 6, I want to see the crowd going absolutely nuts as I run into the endzone/celebrate.

Another thing, way more celebrations. How stupid is that one where they just jump up and down in the air and fist pump like they just scored a touchdown in the year 1975?

djp
03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
GameDay 98 was a great game. I remember staying up all night and playing a franchise dealy with the Vikings with a friend at sleep overs. I was 9 years old. We'd write down our needs for the draft on a notepad and play all 16 games + the playoffs every year. The one lasting memory I will always carry with me about that game is the funny animation when someone would pull a hamstring and continue to run with the ball like they had epilepsy or something. Robert Smith had like a 30 injury rating in that game, so it'd happen at least 3-4 times a season.

djp
03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
While we are on the subject, I've owned every single Madden game since '96.

96-97 - GameBoy original
98 - GameBoy Color
99-00, 02 - Computer
01, 03 - N64
04-05 - GameCube
06-07 - XBox
08-10 - 360

Pretty impressive run if I might say so myself :)

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I remember back when Madden has ambulances, and you could also run around for like 10 seconds after the play and get personal foul's for running people over lmao. I never owned any of those because I just ended up with Gameday for so long but remember playing those years at a friends house.

Brent
03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Madden 99 for N64 was the ****

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-04-2010, 10:13 PM
GameDay 98 was a great game. I remember staying up all night and playing a franchise dealy with the Vikings with a friend at sleep overs. I was 9 years old. We'd write down our needs for the draft on a notepad and play all 16 games + the playoffs every year. The one lasting memory I will always carry with me about that game is the funny animation when someone would pull a hamstring and continue to run with the ball like they had epilepsy or something. Robert Smith had like a 30 injury rating in that game, so it'd happen at least 3-4 times a season.

Hahaha. I had Gameday 2001 for PS2, and they still had the animation in there. I'd always panic when it happened to Marshall Faulk(I was always St. Louis). My entire offense consisted of one play: Shotgun HB Option. Faulk would run an out route at 5 yards and I would throw it to him almost every single time. He'd seriously get 25-30 catches per game. Whenever it happened to Trung Canidate on kickoff returns I was just like whatever.

I used to get insane amounts of roughing the passer penalties, too. I used 3-4: Normal, and the OLB was never ever blocked. So I'd come in, press dive, he'd throw while I was in the middle of that 5 yard drive, and I'd get dinged with the penalty. It sucked a lot when I would get an INT called back for it.

Also, Gameday 2001 had the best intro ever.

Part 1:
http://psxmovies.ign.com/media/previews2/video/gameday2001/gameday2001_1.mov
Part 2: http://psxmovies.ign.com/media/previews2/video/gameday2001/gameday2001_2.mov

TACKLE
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM

I loved Gameday 98. Barry Sanders was way too good. Hit R2, you juke 'em out every single time no matter how many guys were there.

M.O.T.H.
03-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I honestly hate the feel of Madden's gameplay. I think NCAA is much better, save for that stupid hit the Qb, and cough it up in the air deal. NCAA could def. use some presentation upgrades for sure but, I dont like Madden's all that much either. And Madden's menu navigation is horrible.

djp
03-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Looks like you're in the minority. With some slider adjustments, I think Madden was miles and miles better than NCAA this year, the first time in awhile. Madden actually has realistic playcalling. In NCAA, on Heisman, you have to audible out of the play you want to run every time if you want even a chance of it being successful. They call the perfect defense every time if you don't.

M.O.T.H.
03-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Madden doesnt feel like football to me at all. I still think the players run funny and if someone gets out in front of you, it feels like you have an invisible rope pulling your defensive players back. Coverages are garbage for the most part. And you want to talk about cheap...Madden makes you drop wide open receptions on all-madden. And the broken tackles can be a little much on both sides of the ball. Other minor things just irk me, like menu navigation and the play selection screen, it self. Touchbacks are way too easy and kick returns are joke. You can just about return atleast one back for a td, in each and every game.

I also thought heisman was easy so, I dont really connect with some of your points. In our online dynasty on here, we played on heisman and we were all blowing out the cpu, no problem.

TitansCJftw
03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
i blow out the cpu big time on heisman too but you have to admit that some of the stuff is stupid, i play ncaa more too for the record, madden bummed me out when they changed it so it was no longer possible to load your franchise team and play people online with it, loved going through dynasty and saving draft classes and making a whole franchise team from my dynasty players and playing against people online with them

M.O.T.H.
03-04-2010, 11:18 PM
My main gripe with NCAA 10 was I thought it was too easy against the cpu and I thought the in game gameplan stuff was poorly executed, for player vs player and online. I also didnt love, the play the run stuff. Way too easy to stop the run with that. It wasnt the best year for both franchises at all, imo. NCAA 10 is easy and so many things in Madden just bother me and the game just bores me.

djp
03-04-2010, 11:21 PM
NCAA 10 is easy when you play all 4 quarters. I've never lost to a computer team unless I've intervened in a super sim. It's just stupid how you have to alter the game. It's not football.

M.O.T.H.
03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm watching my dad play a game of madden right now. lol.

Another major annoyance. The cpu QB just stands in the pocket for like 20 seconds and either waits for his receivers to break off his routes or gets sacked. This happens all the time. It's terrible. The play will almost literally come to a stop.

This is worse this year than any previous year.

Don Vito
03-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Love the formation subs, last time I remember that was the NCAA game that was Kiwanuka's senior year (2006 I think).

wogitalia
03-04-2010, 11:43 PM
is the ridiculous deep ball pass interference, if you want to see it just run someone deep 20 times and run around then go to replay and 7 times out of 10 the cb is pushing and shoving the wr after the initial press 20 and 30 yards down the field

I haven't gone a next gen yet so can't say from experience, but from what you describe there is no pass interference. In NCAA rules a defensive player may "press" a player the entire way down the field until the ball is in the air, after which it is not allowed. Basically you can bump the whole way down the field until the QB releases, so if in that replay your QB is still holding the ball it is not DPI. If you have thrown it, then it is DPI and a game flaw. As I said, haven't played it at all, but thought I would clarify the rule for you at least as what you actually describe is at its most basic level totally legal.

TitansCJftw
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
no no, it only takes a second for the qb to throw the animation lasts several seconds its a funny game flaw, and now that i think of it in 30+ years of dynasty(on the game obviously) im not sure i remember a pass interference call... never thought about that thanks, and i was just using that as a reference to the flaw which on many deep balls on heisman ends up with the qb essentially throwing it to the cb because when it happens the wr is stumbling from the hit happening while the ball is being thrown and the cb magically is fine and jumping for the int

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Looks like you're in the minority. With some slider adjustments, I think Madden was miles and miles better than NCAA this year, the first time in awhile. Madden actually has realistic playcalling.

I agree x10. I really don't have many gripes about Madden, it's not perfect, but it was an overall great game for me especially if you compare it to NCAA. Granted it won't be that way for everyone but I couldn't find too many faults with Madden at all, they stepped it up this year.

kwilk103
03-05-2010, 02:17 AM
i'd like a hurry-up offense

like you get to the line and can call any play in the playbook, but your players tire faster

idk, just throwing 1 way to make it work

but with a lot of teams running the hurry-up, mich, ou, wvu, fla, etc it should be in the game

KobeBryant833
03-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I think on online dynasty they need to not allow people to quit against the computer. Thats one thing that grinds my gears